Manhunt in North Brazos County for Perp Who Shot Bryan Officer, Brazos County Deputy

13,503 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by legalbird
Would ja 91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not ignoring you- I just don't feel comfortable releasing certain information in an unofficial capacity. I'd say that the stolen vehicle charges probably won't mean much considering the two violent felonies. He also stole a police car.
lethalninja
Yeah, the charges for shooting the cops and having a gun as a felon are the most important ones. He's surprisingly not eligible for life without parole, but if he gets life or at least sixty years, he'll have to serve thirty years before being eligible for parole. He's facing 25 to 99 years or life.
lethalninja
https://www.kbtx.com/2022/12/30/reports-active-shooter-near-benchley-people-being-asked-avoid-area/

New update about the injuries of the suspect and one of the officers. He also stole a gun from the same body shop he stole the Mustang from, so that's another charge, although the gun theft and car theft charges are the least of his worries. He broke into the auto body shop, so that's a burglary of a building charge. Also, another charge for evading arrest in a vehicle. That's at least nine potential felony charges (ten if he gets a separate felon in possession charge for each firearm)
AG81
AG
lethalninja said:

https://www.kbtx.com/2022/12/30/reports-active-shooter-near-benchley-people-being-asked-avoid-area/

New update about the injuries of the suspect and one of the officers. He also stole a gun from the same body shop he stole the Mustang from, so that's another charge, although the gun theft and car theft charges are the least of his worries. He broke into the auto body shop, so that's a burglary of a building charge. That's at least eight potential felony charges (nine if he gets a separate felon in possession charge for each firearm)

This might be a jury summons I'd look forward to getting.
lethalninja
He'll probably only go to trial on the most important charges, like shooting the officers and having a gun as a felon, but he'll be charged with the other things, and they'll be brought up at his trial.
lethalninja
I assume everyone here would give him life if they were on the jury (he would be eligible for parole thirty years from now, when he's 74), but would anyone here also give him the maximum $10,000 fine on each count of aggravated assault against the officers?
Hornbeck
lethalninja said:

I assume everyone here would give him life if they were on the jury (he would be eligible for parole thirty years from now, when he's 74), but would anyone here also give him the maximum $10,000 fine on each count of aggravated assault against the officers?

How are they going to collect those $10k fines? He has a warrant out for parole violations and not paying restitution, is what I thought I heard.

Guy in prison for life doesn't generate $$$, he just costs $$$. Which, I stand by my previous statement on not enough bullets used.
lethalninja
He wasn't serving a sentence when he shot the police officers (the arson and aggravated assault convictions are from a while ago), so I don't know if he had any warrants out for his arrest. He paid the full $5,000 restitution for the aggravated assault conviction, and I believe he didn't have to finish paying restitution for the arson conviction after his probation was revoked, since paying restitution was a condition of him getting probation, and his probation was revoked. I assume his probation was revoked because he didn't pay the required restitution, and before it was revoked, it was previously extended by a year (presumably to allow him to pay restitution).
lethalninja
https://www.kbtx.com/2023/01/01/name-released-brazos-county-sheriffs-sergeant-shot-during-pursuit/
lethalninja
Both of the officers are out of the hospital.
lethalninja
The shooter is still in the hospital. He's been there since Friday. His most recent arrest before this was in July 2020, where he was booked into jail to serve time after pleading guilty to two misdemeanor charges from August and December of 2018.
FamousAgg
I have heard there is a brain bleed that they are having problems controlling.
lethalninja
He was shot once in the eye, right?

Edit: Yes, he was.
lethalninja
He has two prior felony convictions, ten prior misdemeanor convictions and two prior probation revocations. I'll post an update when I find out the details of the arson and aggravated assault cases (his felony convictions).
lethalninja
He's in stable condition (still in the hospital) and has been charged with aggravated assault against a public servant, evading arrest in a vehicle, theft of property between $30,000 and $150,000, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and felon in possession of a firearm, all felonies (because of his record, he's facing 25 to 99 years or life for each of the charges except the unauthorized use of a motor vehicle charge, which has a maximum sentence of twenty years because of his record). More charges are pending. I'll post the details of his arson and aggravated assault cases on Monday.

Brazos County's district attorney says their office will be appointed special prosecutor in the December 30 shooting of a sheriff's deputy in Robertson County.

Jarvis Parsons tells WTAW News the prosecution of the Bryan man in that and the shooting of a Bryan police officer the night before will take place in their respective jurisdictions.
lethalninja
His arson conviction was for pouring gasoline inside his car and setting it on fire with a cigarette lighter to collect the insurance money (he was twenty at the time, and the arson occurred in 1998) and his aggravated assault conviction was for striking a woman in the head and face with his hand and foot, causing her serious bodily injury (the aggravated assault occurred in 2006). He's still in the hospital (it's been eleven days now). His birthday's on March 17, 1978 (Saint Patrick's Day), but ironically, he's very unlucky because he got shot in the eye and has a high chance of getting a life sentence.
EliteElectric
Josh Herrin worked for us back around 2014. Got in a fist fight with another employee and quit. They both quit actually, both participants left.

I didn't have much interaction with him but I certainly didn't see current events happening they way they did but you never know these days.
lethalninja
He should try to get a deal for fifty years, since he would be eligible for parole after 25 years (when he's 69), and if he gets 60 to 99 years or life, he would be eligible for parole after thirty years (when he's 74). I don't think he'll get a better deal than that (he might not be offered a deal), considering what he did and his record.
Would ja 91
AG
He is now at the Brazos County Hilton.
lethalninja
He's charged with two counts of aggravated assault against a public servant (one in Brazos County and one in Robertson County), two counts of evading arrest in a vehicle (one in each county), theft of property between $30,000 and $150,000, two counts of unauthorized use of a vehicle, felon in possession of a firearm, unlawful carrying of a weapon by a convicted felon, burglary of a building, and theft of a firearm. That's eleven total felony charges.

His bond is $100,000 on every charge except the aggravated assault charge from Brazos County (bond for that charge is $1 million), so his total bond is $2 million, and he would need to pay a bail bondsman $200,000 to be released, which isn't happening. Every charge he's facing except the unauthorized use of a vehicle, burglary of a building and theft of a firearm charge is punishable by 25 to 99 years or life because of his record (those charges are punishable by up to twenty years).
lethalninja
Has anyone here seen his new mugshot that Rusty Surette posted on his Facebook page? You can definitely tell that he's been shot in it. Don't post it here if you have, since it's a really messed up picture.
trouble
AG
Looks pretty normal for a guy who survived being shot in the head.
EliteElectric
EliteElectric
Yeah that mugshot is pretty hard to look at
FamousAgg
Link?
Rexter
Holy crap!!

https://jailsearch.brazoscountytx.gov/JailSearch/JailingDetail.aspx?JailingID=354960

Hit jail search and enter his name
lethalninja
https://jailsearch.brazoscountytx.gov/JailSearch/JailingSearch.aspx?ID=400

The link in the previous post doesn't work. His name is Joshua Herrin
Rexter
Your link goes to the search,…same as mine. Here's the mug shot:

[Posters have the link and they can view the mugshot if they want to follow the link. -Staff]
maroon barchetta
Dude. Not sure if staff will be able to stomach that. It's really uncomfortable.

Wow. I don't know how he is alive.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Dude. Not sure if staff will be able to stomach that. It's really uncomfortable.

Wow. I don't know how he is alive.
I don't disagree, but it's been posted on the WTAW article.
halibut sinclair
He is quite asymmetrical.
EBrazosAg
AG
https://www.kwtx.com/2023/01/12/police-release-new-mugshot-man-who-shot-officers-brazos-county/

Seems there is a pertinent Cousin Eddie quote somewhere…
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rexter
His jailhouse nickname is prolly gonna be Halfwit.
lethalninja
His bond was increased from $2 million to $2,950,000. It was increased from $100,000 to $1 million on the aggravated assault charge from Robertson County, and it was increased from $100,000 to $150,000 on one of the two unauthorized use of a vehicle charges.

Two counts of aggravated assault against a public servant ($1 million bond on each charge), two counts of evading arrest in a vehicle ($100,000 bond on each charge), theft of property between $30,000 and $150,000 ($100,000 bond), two counts of unauthorized use of a vehicle ($100,000 bond on one charge and $150,000 bond on the other), felon in possession of a firearm ($100,000 bond), unlawful carrying of a weapon by a convicted felon ($100,000 bond), burglary of a building ($100,000 bond), theft of a firearm ($100,000 bond)
lethalninja
Or Freakshow. Hopefully, they can do something about his physical appearance before his trial. This is an unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't mind if he was offered a more lenient plea deal because of what happened to him (it's his own fault, but it's still unfortunate that it happened to him). Like if he normally would have been offered a deal for fifty years, I wouldn't be opposed to him being offered a deal for 45 years (a small reduction, so nothing major), taking into consideration his permanent physical deformity.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.