More Student Housing on Northgate

18,154 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by FlyRod
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mumbo Jimbo said:

we're gonna need to tear up bryan neighborhoods to get ready for these….

oh wait

Also Johnny Carinos property is getting spanish tile roof, so "something" is coming for sure

It has been said on here that is where Anchor Bar is going.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Updating again on current and planned Northgate construction. Let me know if I missed any current or announced projects.

1) The Rev - Corner of College Main and Louise

19 Stories, 802 beds. Now Open.

2) 401 First Street

10 stories, 745 beds. Expected to open Spring 2024, corner of First and Louise

3) The Everett, 500 College Main, (NE corner of College Main and Cherry)

8 Stories, 280 beds. Under construction. Expected to be complete April of 2024.

4) Nova Northgate, University and Wellborn

18-stories, 850-beds. Anticipated completion of summer 2026.

5) 203 Church Street

23-stories, unknown number of bedrooms. It received a height variance in January. No permits have been pulled for construction yet. Unknown construction timeline.

6) Boyett and University

Demo of the old gas station and remediation work is complete. Unknown details on this other than it is supposed to be high-density student housing.

7) The Pinecrest - 415 Cherry St. (SW Corner of Cherry and College Main)

20 Stories,199 unit, 605 bedrooms. Site plans submitted to the city. Expected completion in 2025.

8) Normandy Square site

Unknown plans, but site under contract with expectation of new mid-rise development.

Other Northgate area-projects (non student housing)

1) New St. Mary's Church - Open

2) Century Square Phase II - being built right along University in front of current development

3) Popstroke - corner of University and S. College (vacant lot at Century Square)

This was announced in late April and no site plans have been released yet. Expected to open in spring 2024.

Note: Image is not College Station plan, just the image from the press release and what the concept generally looks like.

4) Johnny Manziel's Money Bar

115 College Main. Opening this fall

Buford T. Justice
AG
In my opinion, that is a terrible location for a business of that sort.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
Cyp0111
It will be interesting to see if all of those get built. That is quite a few beds to add to a rather small area. I think it will also be interesting to watch what retail follows if at all.

You must be getting close to 10K students in that area, a university model target or heb product would make sense.
Captn_Ag05
AG
My wishful thinking is that the delay in announcing the plans for the old gas station location across from Shiner is that they are working to finalize plans on something like a grocery store or city target. Of all the locations being developed, that one to me is the most prime real estate.
Bones2012
AG
Thanks for the update CaptAg. It always amazes me when developers come out with renderings of what they are going to build and make a big announcement but half the time it dies before construction actually starts. To me, it would seem that if you are at the point where an announcement is being made that all of your ducks are in a row and the heavy machinery is en route. We'll see how many of these actually come to fruition.

Regardless, it will be very interesting to see what the ng area looks like in 5-10 years. I'm here for it.
rocketscience
AG
The Nova Northgate at University and Wellborn replat is included in the August New Development List from the city.
Cyp0111
For northgate atleast the announcement to completion is a pretty high hit rate.
rockelle
At some point they will need a grocery store in the area. CVS isn't going to cut it
Stupe
S
There isn't any place to build one.

There is a Brookshire Bros on George Bush and an HEB on Holleman / Texas.

The only place that a "new" one could be put in would be the old Randall's building.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I think having one on the ground levels of one of the new mid rises is what makes the most sense. Target does them quite often. Bottom pic is plans for one under construction near Auburn's campus.

Cyp0111
It would be an urban footprint store.

Midway guys did an urban concept HEB and could see them doing that on their corner spot at century square with resi on top
Captn_Ag05
AG
I thought the same thing, but the vacant lot in Century Square is where Popstroke is going in. I think the old gas station location across from Shiner Park is the best hope for one at this point.
Bones2012
AG
Cyp0111 said:

For northgate atleast the announcement to completion is a pretty high hit rate.

This is true. I guess I just mean in general. Also just the length of timelines from announcement to completion. But I speak from my current level of ignorance, I'm sure there is a rhyme to the reason and that much happens behind the scenes from the developers standpoint prior to dirt being moved.
Bones2012
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

I thought the same thing, but the vacant lot in Century Square is where Popstroke is going in. I think the old gas station location across from Shiner Park is the best hope for one at this point.

How big is the footprint of the pop stroke? Will it encompass the entirety of that corner? If not, I could see a replat suited for a high rise. Although there are some beautiful live oak trees on that corner that I hope are spared regardless.
Cyp0111
The'yre putting popstrock at the corner of university and college ? I thought it was set back a little to leave the corner spot for more dense development.

I see now way the university/midway let the most valuable spot in the development fully go to low density put put.
Bucketrunner
Developers in this town have zero respect for those types of trees. It's criminal.
Captn_Ag05
AG
The lease is 2.87 acres and described in the TAMUS minutes as "located near the intersection of University Drive and South College Avenue in College Station, Brazos County, Texas." So, I guess there could still be some room for there to be other development on that lot.
Cyp0111
that makes more sense. I imagine they will go vertical on that endcap.
Smeghead4761
Captn_Ag05 said:

The lease is 2.87 acres and described in the TAMUS minutes as "located near the intersection of University Drive and South College Avenue in College Station, Brazos County, Texas." So, I guess there could still be some room for there to be other development on that lot.
That could also possibly describe the area south of Hensel Drive between S. College and Ball St that right now is a bunch of parking left over from the old married student housing.
Smeghead4761
With the population density that all of that development will bring to the Northgate area, I wonder if CSPD will expand the Northgate substation to include at least one or two officers 24/7, instead of just the bike crew Thurs-Fri-Sat nights.
Cyp0111
These are the questions we are here to get answers to.
Captn_Ag05
AG
CSPD should open a substation in one of the open retail spots of one of the current or new towers.
Smeghead4761
The CSTEP unit (aka Northgate bike unit) already operates out of a substation in the St Mary's annex at the corner of Church and Stasney.
rocketscience
AG
1.) City of Bryan Development

[url=https://www.bryantx.gov/new-mixed-use-destination-envisioned-for-the-city-of-bryan/]https://www.bryantx.gov/new-mixed-use-destination-envisioned-for-the-city-of-bryan/[/url]

2.) The Otto
401 First St. will be called "The Otto". Leasing office is in the former leasing office for The Rev (old Christian Science building).

https://ottostudentliving.com/

3.) Pinecrest
Demolition work is complete and it has a Drake Environmental sign on it. Appears to be ready for construction as it has a construction driveway.

4.) The Everett
Work appears to have stopped after some initial site work. Drake Environmental sign remains on the fence.
Justacitizen
Is the city really ok with The Otto for the name of one of the developments? Instead of Tom Hanks, many long time residents probably recall this man when hearing that name. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Otto_Earhart
555-PINF
I grew up 30 miles from Bryan during that timeframe and have never heard of him. Kids nearly 40 years removed and from distances much further than me would have zero clue and why would anyone from the city planning/development group care? Odd comment.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I was driving around Northgate recently looking at the construction and planned construction. I didn't really appreciate how much elevation and infill has occurred until going into the area where the Otto is going. I do wonder how long the area directly across from the Otto (bound by Louise, Boyett, First, and Spruce) stays the old, single apartment buildings. They look run down and are surrounded by taller buildings all around and with more on the way. Google view below.

I imagine it will be redeveloped sooner rather than later. I'd like to see some retail along that area and not just another tower.

rocketscience
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

I was driving around Northgate recently looking at the construction and planned construction. I didn't really appreciate how much elevation and infill has occurred until going into the area where the Otto is going. I do wonder how long it will be until the area directly across from the Otto (bound by Louise, Boyett, First, and Spruce) stays the old, single apartment buildings. They look run down and are surrounded by taller buildings all around and with more on the way. Google view below.

I imagine it will be redeveloped sooner rather than later. I'd like to see some retail along that area and not just another tower.

It's really only a matter of time, especially whenever the Otto opens. I think the best bet for retail is on the ground floor although likely the only place more retail in Northgate will go is in the new towers closer to University.
woodiewood1
rocketscience said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

I was driving around Northgate recently looking at the construction and planned construction. I didn't really appreciate how much elevation and infill has occurred until going into the area where the Otto is going. I do wonder how long it will be until the area directly across from the Otto (bound by Louise, Boyett, First, and Spruce) stays the old, single apartment buildings. They look run down and are surrounded by taller buildings all around and with more on the way. Google view below.

It's really only a matter of time, especially whenever the Otto opens. I think the best bet for retail is on the ground floor although likely the only place more retail in Northgate will go is in the new towers closer to University.
Look at most any dense urban area in any city and most all the buildings are four or more stories with a parking garage nearby and a few on-street parking spots. Three decades from now, the students that were here in the 1990s or so won't recognize most of the north gate area.
rocketscience
AG
The city approved abandoning easements through the Nova Northgate property.

https://blog.cstx.gov/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/Easement-Abandonment-at-100-Church-Street.pdf
woodiewood1
I am all for as many student able to walk to campus as possible to keep vehicles off the streets.
maroon barchetta
woodiewood1 said:

I am all for as many student able to walk to campus as possible to keep vehicles off the streets.

They won't walk.

They will zip across University against the walk signal on their electric scooters like the kid I saw crossing wellborn at Holleman yesterday who barely avoided getting flattened.
Bryanisbest
AG
FlyRod said:

This thread would heat up if the alternative was more Ag Shacks in residential neighborhoods.

What will happen to all the apts in CS vacated by students now moving to N Gate?
maroon barchetta
Bryanisbest said:

FlyRod said:

This thread would heat up if the alternative was more Ag Shacks in residential neighborhoods.

What will happen to all the apts in CS vacated by students now moving to N Gate?

Section 8
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.