SAMS vs Costco

10,766 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by phillytex24
Counterpoint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gunan01 said:

Sam's has free shipping for their Plus members. Costco does not.

That's a great one for the pro/con list. Thanks!
mhnatt
Counterpoint said:

AggiePhil said:

Can you walk through Costco without a membership, just to see if you want to buy one?

I snuck in the other day. Just acted like I belonged and he let me in.
You rebel you
IN_IT_TO_WIN_IT
No liquor, only beer and wine. Due to TX state law, publicly traded companies arent allowed to sell liquor. A private owned one can attach to Costco...like the SA Liquors that is 'part of' the Selma Costco.
IN_IT_TO_WIN_IT
So yes....yes you can...LOL
IN_IT_TO_WIN_IT
Don't forget the $1.50 giant hot dog and refillable soda !! Woo to the HOO !!!
gunan01
AG
IN_IT_TO_WIN_IT said:

Don't forget the $1.50 giant hot dog and refillable soda !! Woo to the HOO !!!
Sodas are pepsi products at Costco
tb9665
The chicken bake at Costco.
313-7-12thMan
Until Costco gets a "Scan & Go" app I'll stick with Sam's. Haven't been in a checkout line at Sam's in years.
oldag76
AG
We have the Costco Executive membership with the 2% rebate. NO FREIGHT ONLINE ORDERS with that card, not sure about the basic membership.
Cannot recall the last time our rebate was less than the cost of Exec membership.
UPDATE: Just got annual rebate check, $238.00
Also, I pay with a 2% cash back Fidelity Visa so it adds up.
woodiewood1
RiverAg 80 said:

I bought eye glasses at Sam's in CA a few years ago. Service was great and professional. Just got new glasses at Costco in San Antonio. Their eye glass department is not professional and screwed up my glasses first go around.

Costco meats are better than Sam's but hard to beat HEB or a local meat market. At least in San Antonio.

Buy your meat at Readfields and you won't be happy with meat from anywhere else.

Bill Clinternet
AG
Costco is better than Sam's in nearly every way. Plus they pay their workers high wages. Will only shop at Costco.
"I am neither an Athenian nor a Greek, but a citizen of the world"-Plato, attributed to Socrates, Theaetetus-
rock08
AG
HowdyAgs03 said:

AggiePhil said:

Can you walk through Costco without a membership, just to see if you want to buy one?

Nope

We did.
The lady at the door let us in to check things out
Turkey
AG
Yes...my wife and I do not (yet) have a Costco membership, but we went to check it out yesterday for the first time. The friendly Costco employee at the door let us in, no problem, when I told her that we don't have a membership, just want to check out the store before we decide.
AgTrip
313-7-12thMan said:

Until Costco gets a "Scan & Go" app I'll stick with Sam's. Haven't been in a checkout line at Sam's in years.
This is why I quit going to Sam's. I want fricking cashiers to check me out. Walmart killing more jobs by having you do it yourself. Pass!
halibut sinclair
AgTrip said:

313-7-12thMan said:

This is why I quit going to Sam's. I want fricking cashiers to check me out. Walmart killing more jobs by having you do it yourself. Pass!

You tell 'em, Grandpa!
AgTrip
halibut sinclair said:

AgTrip said:

313-7-12thMan said:

You tell 'em, Grandpa!
HAHA heck yeah! That's why I go to HEB over Kroger. Never any cashiers at Kroger off RP. Always big line at self-checkout. No one does customer service anymore. We become more and more like the people on Wall-e every day.
ElephantRider
AG
Every time I tried to do Scan & Go at Sam's, I would eventually forgot to scan stuff as it went in the buggy and I would end up just checking out. Every time. Could never get used to it.
techno-ag
AG
AgTrip said:

313-7-12thMan said:

You don't have to use the app. They've got self checkout lanes and real people lanes too.
BryanAggie2013
AG
AgTrip said:

halibut sinclair said:

AgTrip said:

313-7-12thMan said:

You tell 'em, Grandpa!
HAHA heck yeah! That's why I go to HEB over Kroger. Never any cashiers at Kroger off RP. Always big line at self-checkout. No one does customer service anymore. We become more and more like the people on Wall-e every day.
Isn't having to think through/do something yourself kind of the opposite of the people on Wall-E?
AgTrip
Nope. I enjoy interacting with people.
Crusader
We've been members at Sam's for nearly 40 years and have loved it. When Costco opened here, we decided to get a membership and do a comparison. Our Sam's membership expires in January.

So far, Costo wins hands down. The new store is at least 50% larger, and it is brighter and cleaner (still new). Their Kirkland products seem to be superior overall. The employees are incredibly friendly and helpful. And from where we live, Costo is much easier to get to. The only negative for Costco is that they do not yet have scan and go, but they do tell us that it will be coming soon. I'm good with that.

The only plus we have for Sam's is they carry one product that we cannot find at Costco.

We plan to not renew our Sam's membership when it expires.

Good luck!
Counterpoint
AG
Crusader said:

The only plus we have for Sam's is they carry one product that we cannot find at Costco.

Sliced frozen strawberries?
doubledog
Crusader said:

We've been members at Sam's for nearly 40 years and have loved it. When Costco opened here, we decided to get a membership and do a comparison. Our Sam's membership expires in January.

So far, Costo wins hands down. The new store is at least 50% larger, and it is brighter and cleaner (still new). Their Kirkland products seem to be superior overall. The employees are incredibly friendly and helpful. And from where we live, Costo is much easier to get to. The only negative for Costco is that they do not yet have scan and go, but they do tell us that it will be coming soon. I'm good with that.

Good luck!
Thank you to all... This thread has been very informative.
From what I gather so far, the choice of SAMS v. COSTCO is

one of convenience (i.e. which store are you closer to),
store employees (and treatment), (+COSTCO)
membership cost, (+SAMS)
customers serviced (a bit sketchy)

Am I missing something?
halibut sinclair
doubledog said:

Crusader said:

Good luck!
Thank you to all... This thread has been very informative.
From what I gather so far, the choice of SAMS v. COSTCO is

one of convenience (i.e. which store are you closer to),
store employees (and treatment), (+COSTCO)
membership cost, (+SAMS)
customers serviced (a bit sketchy)

Am I missing something?
Availability of certain items we regularly buy plus the fact that they are closer will keep us at Sam's. The employees I have interacted with at Sam's have always been friendly and helpful.
LOYAL AG
AG
Last week we sat down and priced the things we buy at Sam's at Costco and heb. Random stuff like protein drinks, laundry detergent, paper towels, toilet paper and eggs. In all five cases sans was cheaper and sometimes a good amount cheaper. Like around $.37/reach for protein drinks and $.67/roll for paper towels. That's a good amount of money over time. So we'll be sticking with Sam's.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
What are the new membership fees and when will they change?

Starting October 17, 2022, membership fees will increase from $45 to $50 for Club members and from $100 to $110 for Plus members. The fee for add-on memberships will increase from $40 to $45.
lockett93
AG
They are covering this years increase with a bonus credit.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I don't like either Sam's or Costco and will be sticking with HEB.
Bob2525
dubi said:

Costco takes only Visa, so I had checkout drama when I could not pay.
I've been debating getting a Costco membership instead of Sams. Since I do not like using my Visa check-card, I always use (and pay off) my Discover card. I'm not applying for another credit card screwing up my excellent credit rating, so Costco has decided for me.
ChampsAg
I've been getting my gas at Costco instead of Sam's recently. I have seen that Costco gas is higher quality and their pumps are easier to get in and out of.

Shopped at Costco once so far. They have some snacks my boys like that Sam's does not. I did not like the chip selection at Costco. Not much to choose from at all.

Scan & go is a huge benefit for me at Sam's. Don't understand why more don't use it. I've used self checkout at Costco both times. The second time, the associate did everything but pay.

Still need to see what the $1.50 hot dog commotion is about.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Wife and I bought a new Washer and Dryer from Costco a couple weeks ago. It was just delivered/installed yesterday.

This morning I went to the website to look at Labor Day sales and noticed the same Washer and Dryer combo was listed for $250 less than what I paid for it.

Called Costco and they literally just refunded me the difference. Saved myself $250, which pays for the $120 executive membership two fold alone.

maggie16
I think Costco has better non-food items like gas, furniture, appliances. But Sam's has a better selection and pricing on food items. Protein drink 18-pack was $4 more at Costco than Sam's.
phillytex24
I've heard you can buy a gift card and they have to let you inside to shop.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.