SAMS vs Costco

10,763 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by phillytex24
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was at SAMs today (CS), not as many people as usual. I assume CostCo has cut into SAMs membership.
My SAMs membership is up soon... Should I go CostCo?

Anyone switched from SAMs to CostCo recently? Opinions?

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I have memberships to both but haven't spent enough time inside Costco yet to really say if one is way better or one is worth canceling.

I will say this though, I'm a little surprised that Costco isn't more jam packed than the 3 times I've been (those 3 times were in and out for one item each time so I didn't walk around). That said, I've been during weekdays so maybe that's to be expected. 2 of the 3 times I went it was actually pretty sparse in there.
BCStalk
We have both currently and I can't decide which is better. We typically like the prepped meals and sides, but they both have the exact same meals. Meat selection seems pretty close to the same as well. I have not had a chance to walk around the entire store so hopefully someone can chime in on the other departments at Costco. I like the location since we shop at the tower point HEB and we can get to both quickly.
Kbeauty63
AG
I've been to Costco 2 times so far. TBH - for what I get they are about the same. Costco is a few cents more (looked on. Sam's app to compare).

Most aggravating thing I DON'T like about Costco? Their app(and website) assume you are having things shipped. You can't figure out what they do/don't have in stock!
ElephantRider
AG
Our Sam's membership expired a week before Costco opened, so we decided to try Costco. We like it more so far, though I honestly can't think of a reason other than it being new/exciting and more conveniently located.
Mission Ranch AG
AG
Our family has had memberships to both Sam's and Costco for close to 15 years. Both stores carry many of the same products. One difference between the two stores is their chip products. Sam's Carrie's Frito Lay products and Costco does not. We think the meat selection is better at Costco than Sam's. Also, we like to shop the sale items at each store. We watch the sale flyers and tend to shop the store that has many of the products we like/use when they are on sale.

techno-ag
AG
It sounds like if all things are more or less equal Costco will appeal to SoCo and Navasota residents while Sam's caters to everyone else.
SW AG80
AG
I bought eye glasses at Sam's in CA a few years ago. Service was great and professional. Just got new glasses at Costco in San Antonio. Their eye glass department is not professional and screwed up my glasses first go around.

Costco meats are better than Sam's but hard to beat HEB or a local meat market. At least in San Antonio.

Smeghead4761
So, which one has the better beer selection?

Sam's beer selection is kind of meh. If my memory from when I've lived in places that had Costco is correct, Costco has usually had a much better beer selection. (And in places where local law allows, Costco actually sells liquor. Can't say about Sam's, because the places I've been that allowed that, they didn't have Sam's.)
AggiePhil
AG
Liquor store at Costco is nice.
ElephantRider
AG
AggiePhil said:

Liquor store at Costco is nice.

I though the CS location didn't have a liquor store. Did I miss it?
gibby03
AG
No liquor store at this Costco. I also feel like the non food items are more name brand stuff than SAMs. Could be wrong though.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
One thing that Costco has that Sams doesnt is the Rasberry Crumble Cookies.

These are absolutely outta this world. Yes, like 350 calories per cookie, but I'm pretty sure if there's a heaven, these cookies will be up there.
halibut sinclair
Went to both today. Gonna stick with Sam's and let our new Costco membership lapse. Sam's has more of the items we regularly buy.
doubledog
I like SAMs auto center. If you buy a battery/tire at SAMS and you are traveling and your battery goes dead or tire is beyond repair (and still on warranty) you can always find a SAMs or Walmart near by to replace it.

I am not sure about CostCo... Anyone have any experience with CostCo Auto?
Belton Ag
AG
We gave up our Sam's membership started driving to Costco in Cypress when it opened. That's how much better Costco is than Sam's. Sam's meat is barely dog food grade compared to Costco.
Koko Chingo
AG
I was a Costco member for years, once I got married and had kids. When moving back in 2008 we had Sams. I was exited to hear Costco was coming to BCS. I figured there would be a lime miles long to get into Costco when they opened.

I decided to get my Costco membership a couple of months ago when I was in Cypress to avoid the lines.

When shopping at the Cypress Costco, I realized that Sam's had made a lot of strides over the years. The difference overall is minimal. A lot will have to do with the specific products you buy.

I think the prepared and cook & serve dishes at Costco are much better. I also like some of the other Costco branded food items a little better. I do not buy that kind of stuff a lot so the difference is minimal.

Costco uses top tier gas (Chevron I think) and that's a great value. Costco also has some great third party vendors for things for your home like flooring, windows, A/C units, generators... Also some deals for rental cars, event tickets, etc.

Costco's pricing is not as competitive as it used to be. They used to blow away everyone when it comes to core household products. I think Amazon has thrown a wrench in to the mix when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Sam's has Scan & Go. That is huge. Being able to skip the check-out line is a big deal to me, might not be to someone else.

Sam's optical at least in College Station, is great. I have never had an issue buying glasses there. Donna in the optical shop just makes sure everything is right before placing an order.

The pricing at each seems very similar. Each one carries very similar products which rotate. Each one may have a preferred brand on things like appliances, etc.

To me they are now very similar. Years ago, Costco was head and shoulders above Sam's. If the Costco gas station is out of the way or one you buy a lot of prepared or ready , or are very brand loyal, then its probably a coin toss.

Just my take. - - I say go with a friend to which ever store you do not have a membership and check it out first.
AggiePhil
AG
Can you walk through Costco without a membership, just to see if you want to buy one?
halibut sinclair
Belton Ag said:

Sam's meat is barely dog food grade compared to Costco.

Not true at all.
dubi
AG
Costco takes only Visa, so I had checkout drama when I could not pay.
HowdyAgs03
AG
AggiePhil said:

Can you walk through Costco without a membership, just to see if you want to buy one?

Nope
Lone Stranger
The hearing center at Costco if you need to use it is worth the membership. They've quietly become one of the larger hearing aid retailers in the country. I got tested at 2 different places in town and Costco in Cypress. All 3 tests data laid over the top of each other so the testing results were identical at all 3 places. The online reviews of the various Costco hearing aids are very good when you look around and they are less than half the price of the standard offerings at the local hearing places.
TXAGBQ76
AG
My wife and I have bought glasses from Costco for almost 15 years. Never had an issue, the folks in that department have always been very professional and extremely helpful. Very good at what they do.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Every time I shop at Walmart, I'm reminded about why I don't shop at Walmart.

For that reason, I shop at Costco.

I just remember growing up as a kid going to Costco with my grandma and getting all the free samples and such. I just think it's a pretty decent store and good shopping experience.

The times I've been to SAMs haven't been bad when the wife was the GF and had the Sam's card. but I never been impressed enough to actively go like I do with Costco.

Plus Costco travel is pretty hard to beat with their credit card rewards.
lockett93
AG
AggiePhil said:

Yes. Tell them you are going to buy beer/wine. It's state law that they can't require a membership for that.

Adding link to other ways to enter/shop without membership.
https://thekrazycouponlady.com/tips/money/6-things-you-can-do-at-costco-without-a-membership?amp=1
Stucco
If it makes a difference to you, Costco is far and away the better employer. I like the good jobs landing here, and the competition.
nthomas99
AG
lockett93 said:

AggiePhil said:

Yes. Tell them you are going to buy beer/wine. It's state law that they can't require a membership for that.

Adding link to other ways to enter/shop without membership.
https://thekrazycouponlady.com/tips/money/6-things-you-can-do-at-costco-without-a-membership?amp=1
I don't think all that is necessary. I just asked the lady checking cards at front if we could poke around to decide on a membership. She said sure and in we went.
Counterpoint
AG
AggiePhil said:

I snuck in the other day. Just acted like I belonged and he let me in.
EMY92
AG
dubi said:

Costco takes only Visa, so I had checkout drama when I could not pay.
Really? I've never stepped foot into a Costco, but I have ordered some stuff online from Costco. I used my Mastercard for each purchase.
UmustBKidding
Yes they do not accept Mastercard at store or pumps but do online. Sams used to have similar agreements in the past, but got over it. Stupid in this day and age but they are not the only ones, even the tx sos required me to pay a fee with visa when my company cards are all MasterCard
justalocal
You can pay with any type of debit card. I've been a Costco member for years and pay with my discover debit card. BUT the only credit card they accept is Visa.
Texker
AG
We've been Sam's members for 35+ years and Costco members for 20+ years.
dubi
AG
justalocal said:

You can pay with any type of debit card. I've been a Costco member for years and pay with my discover debit card. BUT the only credit card they accept is Visa.
We don't use debit cards because of the fraud risk. Credit only.
tfunk02
AG
I'm with Ally bank, so maybe others don't have this...

I turn off my debit card in my banking app and only turn it on when I plan to use it at an ATM, go to Specs, or anything else that needs it. Once the transaction is done, I turn the card off again.
gunan01
AG
Sam's has free shipping for their Plus members. Costco does not.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.