College Station's ballpark boondoggle

17,187 Views | 116 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Stupe
UmustBKidding
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ya there is, i was over 8 miles from the city and the came after me. This will be the second time i flee the borg
EliteElectric
If this is called the "Texas Independence Ballpark" it is already moving forward and bids a couple weeks from now. I have the plans in my office
techno-ag
AG
EliteElectric said:

If this is called the "Texas Independence Ballpark" it is already moving forward and bids a couple weeks from now. I have the plans in my office
Well at least we'll have some more good ballparks around here. T&P for everybody's electric bill surcharges though.
MeKnowNot
Please correct me if I am missing something:
Phase 1 = $18M
Phase 2 = $32M
Total = $50M or are their more "phases" after that?

That is for a total of 4 baseball fields?

How can baseball fields cost $12.5M each?

Can they rent some fields from A&M for big events?

Brian Alg
Phase 1 would be 4 fields. Phase 2 would be 4 more fields. A total of 8
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government
duffelpud
AG
MeKnowNot said:

10% for the Big Guy, and we have several?
"What's this button do?"
dubi
AG
duffelpud said:

MeKnowNot said:

10% for the Big Guy, and we have several?
Will it cover hookers and blow for the big guy's son?
duckdog
AG
So at this point there's no stopping the city from spending $50M+ on a ballpark venue?
From what I can tell, it doesn't appear that the city did any research into the benefits of a public/private partnership. I guess I need to research more into how they can financially justify this development.

On another note, I see where the city, through 5 years of legal litigation purchased 102 acres for $3.6M on the west side of town for a park. I'm sure those legal fee's were cheap.

Good grief. Just insane.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
They are putting the Goober in Gooberment.
Brian Alg
duckdog said:

So at this point there's no stopping the city from spending $50M+ on a ballpark venue?

So far as I know, the plan for Phase 2 is to send it to the voters in a bond election. The mayor yesterday mentioned that he didn't want to see unpopular projects grouped with others because they'll all get voted down. If I was reading the room correctly before, the unpopular project that he is worried about is the ballpark. I get the impression they know it stinks. It looks like they want to pretend that they don't know it stinks. And that's why they haven't done any analysis on its prospects in 5 years.

Phase 1 is still in flux. They put out the project for bids. But they don't have to accept any of them. If they choose to not spend the ~$18 million, our taxes will go down. Given the apparent consensus that Phase 2 is a terrible idea, it would seem prudent to scrap Phase 1.

I believe Nichols is the only one supportive of the ballpark with anything to lose electorally in the short term. He is running for mayor this November. I believe the others either indicated they will not run again or they will be term limited out. I could be wrong on the term limits. With all the changes to the term lengths, I am not 100% sure.

Shooting them emails and letting them know that you know phase 1 can and should be scrapped would be worth doing. If people are paying attention, council needs to know that. Phase 1 seems to be on life support and it's only going on inertia and the assumption of apathy.

Please be polite (it is easy to ignore an a-hole) and know that Cunha probably is already ready to vote against the thing.
https://www.cstx.gov/departments___city_hall/council
Brian Alg

EliteElectric
the design team is gonna make some money, there have already been 5 addenda's so taxpayers have already spent a nice chunk of change just in the design phase
Brian Alg
I am not sure what you are talking about. When were the 5 addendas?

For sure the city has spent a lot of money on design over the last 5+ years. And I would suspect adding $10 million to the Certificates of Obligation wasn't free. But the project should still be scrapped.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost
Brian Alg

EliteElectric
Brian Alg said:

I am not sure what you are talking about. When were the 5 addendas?

For sure the city has spent a lot of money on design over the last 5+ years. And I would suspect adding $10 million to the Certificates of Obligation wasn't free. But the project should still be scrapped.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost

To the bid documents . The construction documents have been updated 5 times
OceanStateAg
AG
What were the addenda?
EliteElectric
OceanStateAg said:

What were the addenda?
Clarifications to errors in bid documents, very common in construction and bidding, trying to get everything clarified before bid time.
duffelpud
AG
I believe the addenda were to make each field a miniature copy of a major league ballpark.

See also...

"What's this button do?"
EliteElectric
In fairness, Fun For All is mostly privately funded. City donated the land but we raised most if not all of the money privately.
LOYAL AG
AG
If the city charges for practice time that's a huge revenue source. The local demand for ballfields is incredible. There simply aren't enough fields in the area.

The complaint that building full size fields is a waste for 9-10 year old kids is just simply wrong. First they're going to have multiple posts for bases so the younger kids can use them even for games. At a minimum they'll have posts at 70 and 90 feet and since CS is a Little League town I'll guess 60 as well. Second that extra space lets you practice more efficiently with multiple stations. You can't really do that on a smaller field and HS kids can't use smaller fields at all.

A lot of bad information on this thread.
befitter
I was at the City Council meeting last night. Sounds like this topic is addressed at each meeting. One young man spoke against it. Attend the meetings if you want to really see what is going on.
TyHolden
AG
Siap….

https://ballparkdigest.com/2022/04/15/iowas-field-of-dreams-site-set-for-80m-sports-tourism-development/

Brian Alg
LOYAL AG said:

If the city charges for practice time that's a huge revenue source.

My understanding is the city charges for field time and it is a vanishingly small revenue source (relative to the costs we are talking about). Appendix D of the new budget has a line "PARD - Rentals-Ball fields" that for FY 2021 was $110,639 and is estimated to drop to $79,530 for this year and is budgeted to drop to $60,000 next year. For some reason, Appendix D lists revenue from tournament fees as $0. They might be waving those fees. But I don't know. [Edit: presumably that is baseball, softball, and athletic fields including the ones at Veterans]

Unfortunately, since the city has not even attempted to justify moving forward with this park, its supporters here have been forced to speculate what might justify it. Unfortunately for them their speculation does not match the facts.

It is a boondoggle. Scrap it.
Brian Alg

techno-ag
AG
Seeing complaints on this board reminds me of the Wellborn annexation. By the time people get upset the city has already moved. If you don't like the city building parks or growing through annexation then you need to be more proactive. Help elect anti-growth, anti-baseball field candidates. Stay on top of the issues. Fight city hall before they spend your tax dollars because now it's too late.
Brian Alg
It isn't too late. City council can still stop this if they want to.

Getting people talking about the city wasting $44 million dollars might affect the next election.
Brian Alg

ukbb2003
EliteElectric said:

In fairness, Fun For All is mostly privately funded. City donated the land but we raised most if not all of the money privately.

I wish that they would do this for the baseball fields. There is no doubt that more fields are needed in CS, just wish the city wasn't doing the building.
Stupe
S
Brian Alg said:

It isn't too late. City council can still stop this if they want to.

Getting people talking about the city wasting $44 million dollars might affect the next election.
The city deciding not to build more ball fields for kids to play and practice on might also affect the next election.

If you don't think that there are a lot of people in favor of this, you are mistaken.
Brian Alg
How many simple little league fields could they build scattered around town for $44 million?

If this were about the kids, it would look very different.
Brian Alg

LOYAL AG
AG
Brian Alg said:

LOYAL AG said:

If the city charges for practice time that's a huge revenue source.

My understanding is the city charges for field time and it is a vanishingly small revenue source (relative to the costs we are talking about). Appendix D of the new budget has a line "PARD - Rentals-Ball fields" that for FY 2021 was $110,639 and is estimated to drop to $79,530 for this year and is budgeted to drop to $60,000 next year. For some reason, Appendix D lists revenue from tournament fees as $0. They might be waving those fees. But I don't know. [Edit: presumably that is baseball, softball, and athletic fields including the ones at Veterans]

Unfortunately, since the city has not even attempted to justify moving forward with this park, its supporters here have been forced to speculate what might justify it. Unfortunately for them their speculation does not match the facts.

It is a boondoggle. Scrap it.
The declining revenue is perplexing because it fits nothing I know about baseball in this area. I'm probably better informed than most on this thread, I have a pretty good source on what field demand looks like. My question is what does the service of $44M in bonds look like annually and can the $60K or $100K or whatever in rental fees cover it? I don't know that answer and I'm not going to do the work to figure it out because that's not my job. I'm with you in wondering why no revenue from tournaments.

"It's a boondoggle, scrap it" sounds like someone that just doesn't want it to happen no matter what which seems to ignore the proper role of government. Government's job is to facilitate local business and use tax revenue to improve the quality of life and projects like this potentially fulfil both of those missions.

I spent several years with a son playing travel baseball and there is potentially a lot of money in this sport particularly if you do a project the right way. Years ago when the facility in Franklin first opened they were offering teams that entered their tournaments a chance to play at Olsen if they won a couple of games in pool play. Well they got so much response that they had to renege on that offer because the brackets were too large. AND they had to go get HS fields in Madisonville and Bryan and the Bombers field just to play the tournaments. Those were 16U and 18U tournaments so all HS fields.

In a time when government waste is at an all time high I'm just not going to agree that a project that will absolutely get a lot of local use AND bring in a substantial amount of tax revenue via hotels and restaurants should be scrapped. Want to scrap something? Stop building medians.
techno-ag
AG
Brian Alg said:

How many simple little league fields could they build scattered around town for $44 million?

If this were about the kids, it would look very different.
I don't know if I agree with that. Small fields scattered around town sounds like a hassle on upkeep. Plus the city would miss out on tournament revenue having the fields scattered everywhere. Imagine the parking and traffic snarls.
Stupe
S
That was most of what I was going to say.
Stupe
S
Quote:

"It's a boondoggle, scrap it" sounds like someone that just doesn't want it to happen no matter what
That's exactly it.
turfman80
AG
techno-ag said:

Seeing complaints on this board reminds me of the Wellborn annexation. By the time people get upset the city has already moved. If you don't like the city building parks or growing through annexation then you need to be more proactive. Help elect anti-growth, anti-baseball field candidates. Stay on top of the issues. Fight city hall before they spend your tax dollars because now it's too late.
Too bad that strategy didnt work for saving the Bryan Muni golf course....
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
techno-ag
AG
turfman80 said:

techno-ag said:

Too bad that strategy didnt work for saving the Bryan Muni golf course....
Yeah I still agree with shutting down that dump and buying Briarcrest. And have you driven by Big Shots? Wowzers that place is nice. What an improvement. Looking forward to the Legends Event Center, too. That thing will be epic.
turfman80
AG
So you agree that the strategy you suggested has no chance in hell when the "city'" decides they want to do something, despite the wishes and votes of the citizens.

The old adage "You can't fight city hall" is true 99% of the time, citizens be damned. The ballpark complex will be approved. Always follow the money.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
Stupe
S
Quote:

The old adage "You can't fight city hall" is true 99% of the time, citizens be damned. The ballpark complex will be approved. Always follow the money.
The only place that I see or hear a big push against the ballparks is on this thread. The reason that it was even considered in the first place is because a lot of people were contacting the City Council about building complex for Little League and tournaments. Not a few....a lot.
And this is not new, there have been people in the ear of the various forms of the City Council for years.
My son has been aged out of Little League for years and when he played T-Ball it was a huge discussion at the first coaches meeting.
He never played Select, but that group obviously has been pushing for it.
Stupe
S
My kids won't use it, but I'm in favor of it.

Two of the main reasons that we chose to stay here were the public education schools and the quality of life.

This helps the latter for a lot of people.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.