College Station's ballpark boondoggle

17,158 Views | 116 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Stupe
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No kids. In favor of it. Happy for my tax dollars to go to it. Just like the new City Hall because the last one was so sad, pathetic and woefully inadequate. If you want nicer things to come to College Station you have to act like you're serious about it.

Im all for cuts in govt spending on bad things, but it gets massively worse at the state and federal level. When you have a chance to improve your local community, it's about the only time I'm in favor of a little spending.
duffelpud
AG
[We do not moderate based on political opinions or views of the moderators or the posters and we are not controlled by any part or person involved in local government. Please contact via email concerning moderation. Thank you. -Staff]
W
AG
as others have previously mentioned...

it's the annual maintenance costs and such that will keep a project like this from ever breaking even or reaching the projected ROI (that's being used to sell the project)
Mister Mystery Guest
I have one College Station elementary school kid playing ball and I spend $3,000 in the spring season alone getting to and from and eating out in Houston.
That's just getting there, staying overnight, eating out, and parking. Honestly, that's probably just a low end guess too. I bet it's more than that. Does not include our team membership dues, uniforms, and tournament fees. Also does not include what we spend on travel ball in the fall either. Just talking about the spring. We're one of eleven families on our one team. There are multiple teams our same age level in B/CS and multiple age levels doing it too in B/CS. There are also anywhere from a handful to three or four handfuls of teams participating in each tournament we travel to Houston to play in. B/CS is central to Dallas, Austin, Waco, and Houston so, if developed, tournaments here should draw well and be more reliable earners than tournaments than the same old $#!+ we see over and over again in Houston each weekend. I'm in favor. My rough math says there's $2.3M spent by B/CS families in the Houston area during spring baseball season alone. Not counting softball. And softball is nuttier than baseball. Not counting the fall season either.
TyHolden
AG
Build it…they will come. Build it in corn fields.
birdman
I think youth baseball fields are good use of local tax dollars. Taxing less would be ideal, but that's not happening. Politicians are going to spend it, might as well be something useful.

There will be some tournaments here. But it's not a game changer for local travel teams. The reason Pride, 12, etc travel to Houston has very little to do with field availability. There are hundreds of teams in Houston. They aren't going to travel. If BCS teams want to play, they have to travel to big city. Houston teams aren't going to travel here to play in fancy new field. And local travel teams won't play each other either. Same thing with volleyball. You go to where all the players are, not the best courts.

I think it will help some for Little League. The fields are crowded but we've never had problems getting games or practices. It's perfectly fine right now. However, with the tremendous upcoming growth in College Station - they will need to add some baseball fields.
ukbb2003
I would have to disagree. You end up seeing a lot of the same teams tournament after tournament in Houston. With BCS being centrally located between the major cities, Houston teams would absolutely come here to play other teams around the state.
Ag2Max
AG
doubledog said:

What do you expect? Brought to us by the same people who gave us Taj Mahal I, II and III...
For us out of towners can you tell us what you're referring to by the Taj Mahal I, II and III..... TIA
Stupe
S
Ag2Max said:

doubledog said:

What do you expect? Brought to us by the same people who gave us Taj Mahal I, II and III...
For us out of towners can you tell us what you're referring to by the Taj Mahal I, II and III..... TIA
The PD, Fire Station 6, and City Hall.

Some people in town just want cinder block buildings with a door.
SCHTICK00
AG
We have a soccer tournament this weekend at veterans bringing in teams from as far away as Tulsa. Lots of ECNL/GA teams too. And many will attend the A&M soccer game Saturday night.
AG81
AG
This whole thread is useless. If you want the fields and live in College Station stay and enjoy! If you don't, either get the votes to change it, or move! This thread won't move the needle.
Stupe
S
It's a four page thread on an online discussion board.

I love how someone that doesn't even financially support the site feels they can call something on here useless.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.