Greens Prairie Rd. Expansion thread

13,729 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by maroon barchetta
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The project to expand Greens Prairie Road to four lane divided from Woodlake Drive to Arrington (similar to how it is from Wellborn Rd. to (almost) Woodlake Drive is off to a slow and soggy start. I see they are replacing utility poles with new ones, but they are set back the same distance as the originals. They are chopping off the old poles and leaving the telephone wires (the bottom wires) in place, so I'm guessing the plan is to come back and bury fiber to replace the overhead ones, but that will be a (Frontier?) project, not a (BTU?) project.

On a previous thread someone suggested they were going to do the Royder to Woodlake portion first, then Woodlake to Arrington. Is that still the case? The CSTX.gov site seems to break it down in two phases, the first being the one previously completed from Royderish to Wellborn.

https://cstx.gov/departments___city_hall/cip/greens_prairie_widening

Does anyone know the actual final timeline / plan? What will be next are there underground utilities that need to be moved? I know nothing about road construction other than what I've observed but thought it might be interesting to have a thread to track the progress of the project.

Here's a link to the project plan, you can zoom in to see all the details:

https://cstx.gov/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=16370011

[Locked until the thread can be reviewed and cleaned up. -Staff]

[This thread was derailed into several conversations about taxation so we removed posts that weren't directly related to the work and expansion of Greens Prairie Road. There may have been some posts removed due to quoting other posts and we apologize for that but this was not an easy thread to clean up. Thank you. -Staff]
AggieAces06
AG
If the poles have been cut it means the utility company has basically abandoned them. They now belong to whoever owns that wire. So it's either phone or TV cable wire. Good luck with getting them to move anything.
UmustBKidding
Different contractor will move the low voltage stuff like cable and phone.
As far as completion i think the answer is in the dark.
toolshed
AG
If it's anything like Bryan experienced waiting on Frontier to move lines at 29th and Memorial or at the reworking of S College S of Villa Maria, be prepared to wait a long time. Frontier will get there when they feel like it.
Expert Analysis
AG
Not sure why they are replacing the poles with new ones in the same place. Should just bury everything.
Work was originally supposed to start this past summer.
jks08
AG
Can anyone confirm the distribution pole replacement is actually part of the street widening? Might just be a maintenance thing for BTU, replacing wood poles with FRP. Only drove by once when the poles were framed on the ground and they looked like composite poles.
BrazosWifi
Expert Analysis said:

Not sure why they are replacing the poles with new ones in the same place. Should just bury everything.
BTU has been doing a lot of pole maintenance. This sounds like regular pole replacement, nothing related to GPR widening.

But, I don't have any first-hand knowledge.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
Tailgate88
AG
I reached out to the COCS for an update and received this back. He said I could post it in the thread.

Quote:

Thank you for reaching out! Here is the current status/plan for the project as best as I can lay it out. If you could forward this on that would be greatly appreciated as I don't have an account.

The overall project from Royder to Arrington was broken into two phases. Phase 1 between Royder and Long Creek Lane and Phase 2 from Long Creek Lane to Arrington. Phase 2 of the project has also been spilt into two parts what we call a City section and a County section. Greens Prairie Road from Long Creek Lane to Dalton is actually outside the City Limits.

Phase 1 (Royder-Long Creek Lane)- This phase was completed Summer 2020.

Phase 2 City Section (Dalton to Arrington)-We are completing Right of Way Acquisition currently. This has taken a little longer than planned so the project has been delayed somewhat from the original timeline. Once we complete the acquisition of the needed Right of Way, everything will be ready to start construction. I'm hopeful we will start construction this year but we will just have to see how things play out with acquisition.

Phase 2 County Section (Long Creek Lane to Dalton)-This section has been designed but the County has not identified funds for construction at this time. This is section of the project is currently on hold until County funding comes available.

Also to answer a question in the forum. The pole replacements are a BTU maintenance project and not part of the City roadway project. We have coordinated the new pole locations with the project to make sure there are no conflicts with the planned roadway or sidewalk. All of the overhead electrical and communication lines will remain above ground.

Feel free to provide my information on the thread if anyone would like to reach out to me directly.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

James Smith, PE
Project Manager
Phone 979-764-3877
agnerd
AG
Expert Analysis said:

There's another thread on here complaining that energy price is too high. There are often threads on here complaining that taxes are too high. Burying utilities is a LOT more expensive. How much more per kwh and in taxes are you and all your neighbors willing to spend to make that happen? Are you and all your neighbors willing to vote for a City Council candidate that wants to raise your taxes? What about if they want to raise YOUR taxes to bury utilities on the other side of town?

It's my experience that people here don't want to pay the surcharge. The Texas avenue underground utility project took a decade to generate enough support, and that was only because it was the busiest road in town.
Tailgate88
AG
Bump. Looks like they are getting started!
KaneIsAble
AG
Pretty sure I'm not traveling down that road for the balance of the year; that's going to be a mess especially during school drop-off/pick-up.
jwhitlock3
Is the Long Creek to Dalton portion of this funded yet?
UmustBKidding
To my knowledge it is not and if I were the county I would tell COCS if you want it done so bad annex it. The College Station mode of only annex road if you have to is slimy to me. The county did beyond their share when the Castle gate traffic forced the county to repave greens prairie (twice) since they annexed the subdivision property but not road to access it.
ElephantRider
AG
This is going to suck during construction, and probably after construction if it is just going to narrow back down from Dalton to Long Creek
Tailgate88
AG
I asked for an update from the project manager and got this back. Looks like we should see some activity soon, although I would imagine they'll wait until at least next week considering the weather forecast this week.

Response to your questions below in [bold].

• Is the project beginning? Yes the project has started. Notice to proceed for the contractor was given on January 3rd. Due to issues with crews being out sick with COVID and pipe supply delays Work has yet to actually be started on the project. You should see work starting soon though.

• Has funding come through for the County section? The County has not identified funding to date for the section between Dalton Lane and Long Creek Lane. Project has been design but Right of Way acquisition and construction are on hold until funding is available.

• Do you have an estimated timeline? The construction contract is for 18 months. So we are looking at completion of the roadway Summer 2023.

• Do you have a link to the plans / what it will look like when complete? See link to the City website that has additional information and layouts for the project. https://www.cstx.gov/departments___city_hall/cip/greens_prairie_widening
  • [/ol]
    Rearview
    AG
    I like how the existing, bumpy, 2 lane road is 55mph, but when they reconstruct it as a safe, divided 4 lane road, they lower it to 40...
    jwhitlock3
    The foot traffic from the addition of the widened sidewalks is significant in my opinion, so the reduced speed limit is warranted I think. There are a ton of kiddos and parents both before and after school, 15 mph is no big deal especially with new turn lanes and not having to slow down for turning traffic.
    LOYAL AG
    AG
    So we're going to have about four miles of nice four way divided road except for the <1 mile stretch in the middle from Dalton to Long Creek and there's no timeline to actually remedy that. Alrighty then.
    A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
    jwhitlock3
    Does Meadow Creek = Creak Meadows? Or is there another neighborhood or area on the other side of wellborn being discussed?
    AggiePhil
    AG
    Lots of incorrect and off-topic information in this thread.

[We are locking it until it can be cleaned up. -Staff]
    Tailgate88
    AG
    ....and we're back! Let's keep the discussion to actual roadwork and not funding of said roadwork so we stay in good graces! Not scolding....I was guilty too.

Anyways...

Currently they are adding a new barbed wire fence set back probably 10 yards from the existing fence on the south side of the road. This is to contain the cattle that are still roaming on that part of the soon-to-be-subdivision going in there. I assume once that fence is complete they will demolish the existing fence line and trees growing along it and ... we'll see what comes next.

I have no construction experience but I think it will be interesting to document the progression of this project. If anyone has more information please add to the thread!
    MiMi
    S
    Just received this from the Castlegate HOA

Quote:

We received the following communication from the City of College Station regarding the Greens Prairie Road Expansion Project -

The contractor is planning to get started on utility work south of the existing roadway starting this week. This work will require the daily closure of the eastbound lane on Greens Prairie Road between 8:30 am - 2:00 pm at the location that the work is taking place. The contractor will have a one lane/two way flagging operation to help traffic get around the lane closure while it is taking place. After 2:00 pm, the lane should be back open until the next morning. This work will be completed over the next 3-4 months.

Tailgate88
    AG
    Work continues on the south side of the road. Round reinforced concrete pipe is being buried for storm drains I am guessing. They are also installing square piping under the road to handle drainage from the Castlegate "moat".

I know nothing about construction so any corrections or clarifications are welcomed.
    Tailgate88
    AG
    Make sure you drive 30 throughout the entire construction zone. I've seen CSPD out there several days writing tickets. Fines double in a construction zone (when workers present) so you'll be looking at $500 - and you can't dismiss it with Defensive Driving if in school or construction zones, I believe...

Anyway, they are still burying pipe on the south side of the road and clearing brush, so not much else to report as of yet.
    AgsWin2011
    AG
    [You have been on this board enough to know that we don't allow that type of posting and you have had posts removed for that reason. This has always been a strictly moderated board and posters that can not put their opinions on this board without using insulting terminology will have their posts remove. Any other posts about moderation that derail this thread will be removed without explanation. -Staff]
    maroon barchetta
    Listening to police scanner traffic this morning, sounds like a cash register bell as CSPD rings up people in this construction zone.

Better do 30mph thru that little stretch!
    Stupe
    S
    There are plenty of warning signs up and down Greens Prairie.
    Anyone that gets a ticket there for speeding earned it.
    maroon barchetta
    Agreed
    Stupe
    S
    And that is coming from someone that thinks that we automatically get 5 extra mph.
    Tailgate88
    AG
    Johnny Law is out generating revenue for the city today on Greens Prairie....watch out!
    MB19
    AG
    Tailgate88 said:

Johnny Law is out generating revenue for the city today on Greens Prairie....watch out!
    Helpful hint: Slow down.
    Tailgate88
    AG
    It's been awhile, time for an update. After a couple months of burying new utilities, it looks like the construction phase is about to begin.

New utilities have been buried on the south side of the road and they are in the process of smoothing everything out and removing excess piles of dirt etc. They have also done the same in the small section past Forest Ridge and the car wash / 7-11 center. Existing pavement was removed and they are burying the rest of the new utilities there.

Meanwhile, on the north side of the road It looks like the construction process is about to begin. Workers are clearing and flattening the ground all the way along the road in preparation to start construction of the new west bound roadway.

maroon barchetta
    Have we seen a plan of what the finished project will look like?
    maroon barchetta
    Also, do yourself a favor and do not speed in that construction zone, especially when workers are present.

CSPD has cleaned up with the traffic stops there.
    maroon barchetta
    maroon barchetta said:

Have we seen a plan of what the finished project will look like?

Doh! I see it's already linked above.
    Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.