A&M students and virus impact

23,493 Views | 167 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by techno-ag
AggieBarstool
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought the same. No way this will have any teeth.
cavscout96
AG
FlyRod said:

https://www.tamu.edu/coronavirus/messages/important-student-covid-19-testing-program.html

So, um...this seems like it will be a tad controversial.

College Students rarely read their emails.

If you want a 20 something to see it, it better be on Slack, a GroupMe, or on Instagram.

Not sure there is a viable enforcement mechanism. Also, I'd hope any decent judge would issue an injunction until a trial occurred. Unfortunately, hope is not a method.
Tailgate88
AG
Squanto86 said:

My daughter is one of the COVID Kappas. She felt like crap on sat (8/15), tested pos on 8/16, never had a fever and described it like having strep throat with fatigue. Started feeling better last night and sounded very normal this afternoon but said she was tired. Her roommates and other pos Kappas all have similar symptoms. They are quarantining in their house and attending class virtually until 9/3, hopefully.
Thank you for the updates, please continue to update this thread. I'm glad they seem to all be doing well. There is no question that lots of college students are going to catch this thing - and hopefully this trend continues. Some will be asymptomatic, but hopefully the vast majority of the rest have mild symptoms as these girls are having, then get over it. That's how we get to herd immunity, and that's how we get back to normal. Face the storm, get through it, and go on with life. (Note I am talking about the young here - older people and those with underlying health issues need to be more careful.)

KidDoc
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Squanto86 said:

My daughter is one of the COVID Kappas. She felt like crap on sat (8/15), tested pos on 8/16, never had a fever and described it like having strep throat with fatigue. Started feeling better last night and sounded very normal this afternoon but said she was tired. Her roommates and other pos Kappas all have similar symptoms. They are quarantining in their house and attending class virtually until 9/3, hopefully.
Thank you for the updates, please continue to update this thread. I'm glad they seem to all be doing well. There is no question that lots of college students are going to catch this thing - and hopefully this trend continues. Some will be asymptomatic, but hopefully the vast majority of the rest have mild symptoms as these girls are having, then get over it. That's how we get to herd immunity, and that's how we get back to normal. Face the storm, get through it, and go on with life. (Note I am talking about the young here - older people and those with underlying health issues need to be more careful.)

My son has a pending COVID as well-- sore throat, tightness with deep breath, fatigue, aches. He is 21 year old @ A&M and type 1 DM but well controlled. Not too worried about him but curious to the results.

I'm pretty sure he was not partying with the Sorority girls, he is more of the computer nerd type.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BQ_90
AG
KidDoc said:

Tailgate88 said:

Squanto86 said:

My son has a pending COVID as well-- sore throat, tightness with deep breath, fatigue, aches. He is 21 year old @ A&M and type 1 DM but well controlled. Not too worried about him but curious to the results.

I'm pretty sure he was not partying with the Sorority girls, he is more of the computer nerd type.
everyone knows computers have viruses
cavscout96
AG
KidDoc said:

Tailgate88 said:

Squanto86 said:

Hope he is OK and pulls through without issue.

Out of curiosity, how do you define well-controlled. I have a close family member who is T1 as well.

plain_o_llama
The ramps in the Higgins boats are down and the college students are storming Covid beach. Meanwhile, legions of queasy angry troops bob around offshore awaiting news of the operation.
nought
AG
FlyRod said:

https://www.tamu.edu/coronavirus/messages/important-student-covid-19-testing-program.html

I read the page. I am surprised their FAQ doesn't cover the question "Am I required to be tested if selected?".

There is no way I would submit to a forced test like this unless I was already wanting to be tested. If I wanted to be tested, I'd go get tested and enjoy my HIPAA privacy.

It will be interesting to hear about the lawsuit when the first student refuses to comply.
cavscout96
AG
plain_o_llama said:

The ramps in the Higgins boats are down and the college students are storming Covid beach. Meanwhile, legions of queasy angry troops bob around offshore awaiting news of the operation.
golden. EOT
mtec
I thought the exact same thing about the FAQs... ridiculous PR move. Every person's first two questions are:

1) Is this absolutely mandatory?
2) What are the consequences for not showing up?

These are the real FAQs.
KidDoc
AG
cavscout96 said:

KidDoc said:

Tailgate88 said:

Squanto86 said:

Hope he is OK and pulls through without issue.

Out of curiosity, how do you define well-controlled. I have a close family member who is T1 as well.

For 20's it is Hgb A1C < 7.5%

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
texasaggie04
AG
nought said:

FlyRod said:

I read the page. I am surprised their FAQ doesn't cover the question "Am I required to be tested if selected?".

There is no way I would submit to a forced test like this unless I was already wanting to be tested. If I wanted to be tested, I'd go get tested and enjoy my HIPAA privacy.

It will be interesting to hear about the lawsuit when the first student refuses to comply.

I think the biggest problem is springing this on students the first week of class. If this were announced mid-summer, students would at least be informed consumers and could decide if they wanted to return for the semester. Then it would be no different than requiring vaccines (which is already done).

But to announce this once the students have already returned seems poor planning and execution...
cavscout96
AG
Thanks KD.

That makes me feel pretty good. My family member's A1C is just south of 7. We've been pretty cautions and conservative around them since March. Still social, but with common-sense precautions.
cavscout96
AG
texasaggie04 said:

nought said:

FlyRod said:

I think the biggest problem is springing this on students the first week of class. If this were announced mid-summer, students would at least be informed consumers and could decide if they wanted to return for the semester. Then it would be no different than requiring vaccines (which is already done).

But to announce this once the students have already returned seems poor planning and execution...
poor planning and execution...are results of poor leadership
redd38
AG
texasaggie04 said:

nought said:

FlyRod said:

I feel like it was in the covid agreement thing that all students had to sign. I think I remember reading it on there.
texasaggie04
AG
redd38 said:

texasaggie04 said:

I feel like it was in the covid agreement thing that all students had to sign. I think I remember reading it on there.

Thanks for that info. I obviously didn't have to do that thing since I'm not a student. In that case, hard for me to argue with it if students agreed to it before returning to campus and it was truly informed consent.
Prune Tracy
redd38
AG
She's gonna have trouble accessing Howdy then.
Prune Tracy
redd38
AG
I'm not 100% sure that the random testing was in that, I just think that it was. I think I've heard about the random testing before and that's the only place I think I would have seen it.
Squanto86
AG
JeepWaveEarl
AG
I did the training and do not recall it being there. I do know the training was 3 minutes long and covered risks, protocol, etc.

edit: here is a copy of the slides from the training https://studentlife.tamu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/COVID-19-Student-Return-Training_FINAL2.pdf
Squanto86
AG
small world - my youngest is a senior in HS and T1D (with A1C of 6.9) so i am interested in how you son responds to COVID.
trouble
AG
It was in one of the YouTube updates but not in the mandatory "training".
redd38
AG
Ah, that must have been it
texasaggie04
AG
trouble said:

It was in one of the YouTube updates but not in the mandatory "training".

Then I retract my previous retraction!!
KidDoc
AG
My son came back negative. Just some other benign virus.
Tailgate88
AG
Glad to hear that, KidDoc.

For anyone who wants to get tested - my daughter had a touch of fever and since we had just returned from a vacation in Florida, decided to get tested. She did the Caprock telehealth thing at 8:00am Monday morning, had an appointment to drive through at their hospital at 11:00, and got a text message that she was negative before she made it back home. Very quick and efficient.
Belton Ag
saltsman
Data from the first week of classes is starting to trickle in. Looks like COVID going near exponential among students -- but with little crossover to faculty and staff so far.

https://i.imgur.com/Dma4oy6.jpg

https://www.tamu.edu/coronavirus/dashboard/
Belton Ag
AG
saltsman said:

Data from the first week of classes is starting to trickle in. Looks like COVID going near exponential among students -- but with little crossover to faculty and staff so far.

https://www.tamu.edu/coronavirus/dashboard/
I seriously doubt that there's exponential growth among students right now. That's not happening.

These positive cases were probably brought to campus from wherever the students came from and are just now beginning to be reported here at TAMU.
isitjustme
AG
If you work for A&M main campus and test positive, you are supposed to report it to A&M, whether working on campus, working from home locally, or working from Houston, Dallas, Austin, or anywhere else.

If you are taking classes at A&M main campus and test positive, you are supposed to report it to A&M, whether attending in person, remotely but locally, or remotely but in Houston, Dallas, Austin, or anywhere else.

These are A&M numbers. Some of them will be reported also by Brazos county - those who had there test administered here. If tests were administered elsewhere, then the results will not be included in Brazos county totals. I think this is how it was explained a couple weeks ago, There is every chance that I am misremembering or that they changed what they're doing in mid-stream.

saltsman

Quote:

If you work for A&M main campus and test positive, you are supposed to report it to A&M, whether working on campus, working from home locally, or working from Houston, Dallas, Austin, or anywhere else.

If you are taking classes at A&M main campus and test positive, you are supposed to report it to A&M, whether attending in person, remotely but locally, or remotely but in Houston, Dallas, Austin, or anywhere else.

These are A&M numbers. Some of them will be reported also by Brazos county - those who had there test administered here. If tests were administered elsewhere, then the results will not be included in Brazos county totals. I think this is how it was explained a couple weeks ago, There is every chance that I am misremembering or that they changed what they're doing in mid-stream.

The label states "Data represents laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19, as reported to Texas A&M University by students, faculty and staff in the Bryan-College Station area through its centralized reporting system."

Not sure how clean the data really is, but it is supposed to just BCS cases showing.
Quote:

I seriously doubt that there's exponential growth among students right now. That's not happening.

These positive cases were probably brought to campus from wherever the students came from and are just now beginning to be reported here at TAMU.

Residence hall move-in occurred from August 8-18.
CDC states a median of 4 to 5 days incubation.
That puts the window for first community spread showing up August 12-25.
There is likely some lag in the reporting, but the10x spike from 32 (Aug 09) to 358 (Aug 16) being due to local spread is at least plausible.

I'm sure we'll hear more from those with a better understanding of the data soon....
Belton Ag
AG
saltsman said:

Quote:

The label states "Data represents laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19, as reported to Texas A&M University by students, faculty and staff in the Bryan-College Station area through its centralized reporting system."

Not sure how clean the data really is, but it is supposed to just BCS cases showing.
Quote:

Residence hall move-in occurred from August 8-18.
CDC states a median of 4 to 5 days incubation.
That puts the window for first community spread showing up August 12-25.
There is likely some lag in the reporting, but the10x spike from 32 (Aug 09) to 358 (Aug 16) being due to local spread is at least plausible.

I'm sure we'll hear more from those with a better understanding of the data soon....
I aware of all you're saying.

There is no exponential growth in the spread of Covid taking place in Bryan/College Station right now.

Cases will grow steadily for a few weeks and then taper off.
Tailgate88
AG
Is there any way of knowing how many of these kids

1) ... are asymptomatic
2) ...have very mild symptoms
3) ...have severe symptoms
4) ... require hospitalization?

Anecdotally, so far everyone who is young who has had it falls into the first two categories. I'd be interested in knowing how that extrapolates to larger group.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.