BCAD 2020 valuations are posted online

9,925 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by KaneIsAble
woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The county should have to give a property owner a justification statement and how they determined the value they came up with. Do they just pull the numbers out of a hat?
dubi
AG
woodiewood1 said:

The county should have to give a property owner a justification statement and how they determined the value they came up with. Do they just pull the numbers out of their ass? a hat?
FIFY
La Fours
AG
Increase of ~8.2%, nearly $30k.
WheelinAg
AG
Up 10% or 34k... Not many comps in our area. I assume they are basing on our neighbors that sold. Our house does not equal their house.
trackaggie76
AG
House down ~7%

Land up ~6%

Decrease in taxes of $502 Not sure what to think (Castlegate II)
rsa
AG
Dropped by 2% - we'll take it!
KidDoc
AG
Ok what am I doing wrong. I cannot find my house.

I click on property search, enter the number and street name and Personal for property type. I leave the rest blank. I tried with Dr and with Drive.

Any tips?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dubi
AG
Can you just use your name?

Or street and omit the number? ignore ST or DR.
KidDoc
AG
Ok found it with the map function, over 10% increase good Lord.

edit: actually went up 15% !! Got some break from solar panels which lower it to about 10% increase.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
farmersfight
AG
land went up $5,000, house down by $4,336
Wev
AG
Folks, I have two rental properties -- duplexes -- went up 23% and 24% (up 55% each since 2015). Are there no constraints/caps on investment properties?

Suggestions on best approach to appeal?
Mumbo Jimbo
Wev said:

Folks, I have two rental properties -- duplexes -- went up 23% and 24% (up 55% each since 2015). Are there no constraints/caps on investment properties?

Suggestions on best approach to appeal?

sell
cavscout96
AG
+9%
RGRAg1/75
AG
Not sure how to feel. After 5 straight years of arguing 10.2-10.8% increases (each year), it's only Up 8% this year. I'll still argue it. I've gotten it down to 2-3%, which is more reasonable, but excruciating nevertheless.
AgsMyDude
AG
Anyone have luck fighting? Ours is $40k over sales price from a purchase at the beginning of the month.
nthomas99
AG
If you take your closing statement in, they should adjust it down to that. You have proof of the very definition of market price.

The have been less willing to budge in the informal meetings the last few years, so you may have to actually go before the ARB board
AgsMyDude
AG
Thanks I assumed they would bring it down to that but hopefully an open and shut case. Hasn't been appraised by the county at this sales price since '17 so they may fight back, hopefully not.
02skiag
AG
If you just purchased they will adjust it down to the sale price. Bring your closing doc in and that's all you need.
aggiemom89
Does anyone know of a good company that will help with protests on a commercial building property value?
EBrazosAg
AG
Pretty sure Bettancourt will.... just google them. They are on it for my house. This will be the 3rd year in a row for me.
Aggieland Proud
AG
Ha! That's what I thought last year. We purchased in April 2018. My Jan 1 2019 value was about 10% greater than my purchase price. I protested and was shown supposed comps from summer and fall, after my purchase, that they claimed now said the value had increased. In fact, the BCAD appraiser said I got a good deal. A blown gasket would be an under exaggeration.
02skiag
AG
April may have been too far back then. I purchased in August the same year as you and had no issues.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
Can ANYBODY explain to me rationally how 4 identical town homes do not have the same appraise value?!

2 went down and the other two went up, RIDICULOUS!!
gettingitdone
Our value went up 30K which is absurd. We have not made any improvements. My husband will try and pull comps for the area to get a better idea of where the heck this number came from. Makes me so angry
RXAggie02
AG
Mine increase by 12.5% (10% Land increase; 90% House value); Absurd. I fought last year and won big, I plan on fighting again. I used every comp last year (high and low) about 45 of them and threw out the high extreme and low extreme and presented the median. The board approved my LOWEST asking amount b/c they said I did my homework and the CAD didn't have any of the data I presented (all MLS sales data from a real estate agent).

Some appraisal companies and real estate agents will offer this with the request you pay them 10% of tax savings.
SW AG80
AG
91_Aggie said:

montegobay said:

Ours went up over $70,000. Now listed for more than we paid last June to buy it.

That is how property values work. It is not a new car
Not always.
aviationag
AG
Mine went up $100K. 33%

I've asked for advice on protesting it since I've never done it and I don't live there right now.
AgsMyDude
AG
aviationag said:

Mine went up $100K. 33%

I've asked for advice on protesting it since I've never done it and I don't live there right now.

Let us know what you find out, I'm going to try to fight remotely as well.
aviationag
AG
I'll do that. I do have a backup; an Aggie friend who is a real estate attorney. Will let everyone know. I just pulled my paperwork from the REFI in January and, of course, appraisal is not in it. Have to get it tomorrow.
Mathguy64
AG
With valuations jumping $70k or $100k on recent purchases, I wonder if some of these involved prior owners who were old enough to have a frozen valuation and now that's catching up with the change in ownership?
pacecar02
Just fyi

In my initial meetings the appraisal district folks would not budge. Also the meetings last year were horribly scheduled, had to reschedule twice after waiting over 2 hours.

I found the actual meeting going before the board much more reasonable

I had prepared comps for my neighborhood and explained why my home should be considered differently. There is a lotta agshack development and I am in the Midtown zone of Bryan, but in the redevelopment game not every home is equal in what could be done via subdividing. I also argued that commercial real estate around me had gone up about 12k in 10 years and mine had gone up 80k to the point where value per acre had residential at like 140 percent of commercial or more. I'd have to go back and check my notes, but this was commercial sharing adjacent roads with my neighborhood, so could very well be converted back to residential.

Point being, have your ducks in a row, dont be afraid to go before the board, the appraisal folks will try to scare you our of that.

oklaunion
mathguy86 said:

With valuations jumping $70k or $100k on recent purchases, I wonder if some of these involved prior owners who were old enough to have a frozen valuation and now that's catching up with the change in ownership?
I suppose you could be correct but I thought valuation is fluid and always shown and updated, year to year. Only the over 65 actual taxation was frozen. I could be wrong.
JR Ewing
AG
My counter, after protesting was their original value for FY20 appraisal. Apparently, they want to go to the review board. Good thing I refinanced this month...I can use my appraisal from experts, and not just from people throwing darts and comparing new home sales with my 12 year old house. I encourage everyone to protest and go to the review board. Maybe if they have enough cases, they'll start actually lowering people's values to what is fair, and not what gets them the revenues they need to give raises to the execs.
dallasiteinsa02
Brazos CAD Board Of Directors Members

William "Bill" Lero, Chairman
John P. Flynn
Ronald Kaiser
Tim Jones
Russ Ford
Kyle DeWitt
Jason Bienski

and

Kristeen Roe (The Tax Collector) She shouldn't be on the board of directors.

Also, they should be elected and not appointed.

theNetSmith
AG
I own 2 properties in College Station..

one on the sw side of town (near Castlegate) went down 5%
one just east of 6 near Emerald Forest went up 2%

I'll take it.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.