B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

674,224 Views | 4712 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by MiMi
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like the mask mandate is being dropped for Brenham from lack of cases in Washington Co. Hoping the best for Brazos in the weeks ahead despite our students & nursing homes.
Inca
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Purely official now in Washington County. Seems even H-E-B hasn't been enforcing masks the last few weeks. And the city of Brenham has been sponsoring large gatherings. Masks are still required at my workplace, however.
lockett93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tuesday's results include:

Todays increase
90's - 1
80's - 1
70's - 3

Region N hospitals at 64 (+5) Covid patients, 12 (-2) in ICU
12 more cases today than this day last week
40% in the 18-24 age group (17 people)

Spreadsheet updated, chart tab updated.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
techno-ag said:

Looks like the mask mandate is being dropped for Brenham from lack of cases in Washington Co. Hoping the best for Brazos in the weeks ahead despite our students & nursing homes.
That's great news. I assume the mayors make that call, and are awaiting some metric to be reached?
tb9665
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They must have met Gov. Abbott's mask mandate. No more than 30 new cases in 14 days.
kimbo
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tailgate88 said:

techno-ag said:

Looks like the mask mandate is being dropped for Brenham from lack of cases in Washington Co. Hoping the best for Brazos in the weeks ahead despite our students & nursing homes.
That's great news. I assume the mayors make that call, and are awaiting some metric to be reached?


The county has to get "permission" from our overlords.
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tailgate88 said:

techno-ag said:

Looks like the mask mandate is being dropped for Brenham from lack of cases in Washington Co. Hoping the best for Brazos in the weeks ahead despite our students & nursing homes.
That's great news. I assume the mayors make that call, and are awaiting some metric to be reached?
I think it's a county judge. It affects the whole county not just Brenham, apparently.
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Correct. They have to petition Austin for an exemption.
chiwowwow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jeffk.... I work at Parc, we have had several more positive cases, not a large cluster like at first and it HAS NOT stopped visitations.



jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are you referring to essential caregiver visits or others?

Also, my email is in my profile if you'd prefer to reach out that way.
MiMi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Today's numbers: 56 new confirmed cases, 12 probable cases, 33 Brazos County residents hospitalized, 112 tests, 3 deaths (1 female in her 70's at home, 1 hospitalized female in her 80's, and 1 hospitalized male in his 90's).



lockett93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wednesday's results include:

Todays increase
90's - 0
80's - 5
70's - 3

Region N hospitals at 73 (+9) Covid patients, 13 (+1) in ICU
33 more cases today than this day last week
??% in the 18-24 age group (?? people)

Spreadsheet updated, chart tab updated.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q
MiMi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
From KBTX:

"38 percent of the new confirmed cases is from the 18-24 year old age group."
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, none of our local journalists are interested in any possible clusters in facilities.

I know you are all shocked.
Rapier108
How long do you want to ignore this user?
trouble said:

Well, none of our local journalists are interested in any possible clusters in facilities.

I know you are all shocked.
Not at all. They prefer to sell coronadoom 24/7.

We have not had real journalists in this town in decades.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My $0.02 on care facility cases:

Sadly having cases there (even a cluster) isn't a story that moves most people's needles much at this stage of the pandemic. It's pretty much a known quantity now that it's extremely difficult to keep the virus out and once in, those exposed don't fair well. It's definitely important from a local perspective, but our health officials have pretty much decided that the public doesn't need any data that might be helpful in making informed decisions (I disagree, but that's the current status quo). It's very important to me personally, but I don't know that the general public overly cares about the health and well-being of the elderly and COVID - in fact, I've seen exactly the opposite with some regularity when it comes to the expectations/inevitability of infection and death among that demographic. Even the desire for specific data on whether clusters are occurring in care facilities or not is often couched within the belief that if cases are concentrated there then that is an indicator that we should "open things up!" regardless of the fact that the virus is being brought into the facilities mostly by staff (or visitors) who reside off property. IE - you can't "open it up!" and *also* sequester the more at-risk safely long-term.

Now, if facility administration isn't being transparent with families about the cases there, that's a story that needs covering and will attract enough readership to be "worth it" from the viewpoint of the media at large.
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jeffk said:

My $0.02 on care facility cases:

Sadly having cases there (even a cluster) isn't a story that moves most people's needles much at this stage of the pandemic. It's pretty much a known quantity now that it's extremely difficult to keep the virus out and once in, those exposed don't fair well. It's definitely important from a local perspective, but our health officials have pretty much decided that the public doesn't need any data that might be helpful in making informed decisions (I disagree, but that's the current status quo). It's very important to me personally, but I don't know that the general public overly cares about the health and well-being of the elderly and COVID - in fact, I've seen exactly the opposite with some regularity when it comes to the expectations/inevitability of infection and death among that demographic. Even the desire for specific data on whether clusters are occurring in care facilities or not is often couched within the belief that if cases are concentrated there then that is an indicator that we should "open things up!" regardless of the fact that the virus is being brought into the facilities mostly by staff (or visitors) who reside off property. IE - you can't "open it up!" and *also* sequester the more at-risk safely long-term.

Now, if facility administration isn't being transparent with families about the cases there, that's a story that needs covering and will attract enough readership to be "worth it" from the viewpoint of the media at large.
false dichotomy.

you CAN do both. It just requires discipline and buy-in.
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oh, right. It's just a false dichotomy in theory. People basically brag ON THIS VERY THREAD about not wearing masks in public despite being asked to and you think we can keep the virus away the vulnerable by being more disciplined. Makes perfect sense to me.
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have some serious reservations about making the connection between these outbreaks and some people on this thread that didn't wear masks.

I'd like to see some scientific evidence to back that claim up.
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The connection I made was between refusing to wear masks and not being disciplined.
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jeffk said:

Oh, right. It's just a false dichotomy in theory. People basically brag ON THIS VERY THREAD about not wearing masks in public despite being asked to and you think we can keep the virus away the vulnerable by being more disciplined. Makes perfect sense to me.
i was referring to the discipline exercised by the staff and employees at the facilities, but rage on brother, rage on.

If you are not in contact with high risk folks, you should not be forced to wear a mask. If you ARE in contact with HR folks, you should have the personal discipline to take appropriate measures. It's really pretty simple.
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
good luck getting any "science-based" evidence to back up any of fear-based policies implemented in response to this situation.
MiMi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Today's numbers: 30 new confirmed cases, 20 probable cases, 31 Brazos County residents hospitalized, 251 tests, 0 deaths
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The only way you can keep caretakers who work with high-risk individuals from possibly being exposed is to sequester them away on-site (which has happened at facilities in other states). If you can't/won't do that, then they have to live off-site among the rest of the population. They have to get groceries, they have to send their kids to school, they have to interact with spouses and other family members who live in the same house and probably work somewhere else. (Assuming they don't have the means to completely self-isolate at home.) You're implying that caretakers are being reckless and not attempting to keep themselves from being exposed. I have seen very much the opposite - those I know who work with the vulnerable are trying to stay well, but that's a tough thing to accomplish with the amount of contact they have to have with the rest of the community currently. If you personally know of caretakers who are being reckless, please see what you can do to help facilitate their limiting of exposure.

What I'm trying to communicate is that keeping high-risk individuals protected is a directive the community has to buy into for it to succeed. If the community within which the caretakers reside is not wholly invested in practicing things like mask wearing and social distancing, there will likely be COVID cases brought on-site and we know what that can mean for the residents at those facilities. I'm not going to argue this point any more. I think I've acted in good faith in communicating my concern, and I'm not going to waste my time addressing intentional misrepresentations of what I've written.
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
um..... okay......

Let me put it this way. The facilities and their caretakers should take every reasonable precaution, up to and potentially including regular testing of staff, to reduce the risk of exposure in HR communities.

That absolutely can be done without putting the entire population in a bubble. if your default is to go to the lowest common denominator, then you're not being very creative in your problem solving,

You've essentially stated that "Since a small percentage of the population dies in car wrecks resulting from excessive speed, all cars should be mechanically or electronically limited to 35mph."

jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm sorry, do you think that care facilities are not already regularly testing residents and staff?
lockett93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thursday's results include:

Todays increase
90's - 0
80's - 3
70's - 2

Region N hospitals at 67 (-6) Covid patients, 13 (+0) in ICU
-9 cases today than this day last week
27% in the 18-24 age group (8 people)

Spreadsheet updated, chart tab updated.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jeffk said:

I'm sorry, do you think that care facilities are not already regularly testing residents and staff?
what is your hypothesis on how the virus enters these facilities?
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've already told you how the virus enters the facilities - that's not really in question. To answer the question you refused to answer, yes - most facilities are testing every staff member and resident on a regular basis and have been for months.
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Then it's probably a good idea for the to review their testing and other mitigation protocol. Clearly it was innefective in this particular instance.


curry97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jeffk said:

I'm sorry, do you think that care facilities are not already regularly testing residents and staff?


My wife who works in a SNF, has been tested 21 times so far. They test weekly at her facility. At one point, they were testing twice a week.
new straw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jeff, I admire you for your input. I'm also in healthcare (nurse at a hospital - sometimes covid unit). You can say it all day and some people are so set on their own beliefs that you will not change their mind. I thought about giving my input a few pages back, but my opinion (with evidence, but I can't give that without violating laws and risking my license) is not what those here want to hear. Thanks for trying though! Other healthcare professionals appreciate it!
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Please post.

I'd be happy to hear your first -hand experience. Several here indicated same when you initially posted.

I'm more than willing to have my assumptions challenged with fact and solid analysis.

Emotional appeals and hand-wringing, however, don't work for me.

-------------------------

Unless your giving us names or identifiable info, you should have no HIPAA concerns.
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks, new straw. I appreciate it. I also appreciate your work and diligence. It can be a thankless profession, but an extremely important one.
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jeffk thank you for your posts on this thread. Hang in there.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.