B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

687,816 Views | 4795 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by trouble
lockett93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Region N hospitals at 12 (-2) Covid patients

22 fewer cases today than last Monday.

76% in the 18-24 age group

Spreadsheet updated, chart tab updated

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q

Esteban du Plantier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cavscout96 said:

Esteban du Plantier said:

What didn't we do in March?
keep living, going to work, going to school, playing sports, spending money locally (in general).

"We," instead, went into hiding, cried the sky is falling, informed on our neighbors, and, in the process, obediently wrecked our economy.






Got it, I interpreted it the other way, thought you meant "if only we disrupted our lives a bit more in March, we'd be back to normal by now."
Nosmo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just an FYI, "ACTIVE" cases are now simply the number of cases "total" for the last 14 days.

Initially "active" was apparently part of an actual attempt to track recovered. Sometime in June, it was mostly the total of the last 14 days of cases.

And since the last of July, it pretty much is always exactly the total of the last 14 days of cases.

Maybe this was communicated to the public, and I just missed it.

Anyway, it's just a rough estimate now, and assumes everybody that is reported as a "case" takes 14 days to recover or die.
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's been that way since they finally corrected and added recovered cases. For a long time, they were counting anyone they couldn't contact as still active. If you aren't dead or hospitalized after 14 days, you are considered recovered.
scd88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hate the new reporting.
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nosmo said:

Just an FYI, "ACTIVE" cases are now simply the number of cases "total" for the last 14 days.

Initially "active" was apparently part of an actual attempt to track recovered. Sometime in June, it was mostly the total of the last 14 days of cases.

And since the last of July, it pretty much is always exactly the total of the last 14 days of cases.

Maybe this was communicated to the public, and I just missed it.

Anyway, it's just a rough estimate now, and assumes everybody that is reported as a "case" takes 14 days to recover or die.
agreed, but at least the "message" is consistent. After 14 days you are dead or recovered, so doing the arithmetic, we at least have "probable" recoveries... I mean, why not, we have probable infections, so..... anyway.... the bottom line, there are fewer actively infected folks running around, and fewer, and fewer, etc.
Nosmo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cavscout96 said:

Nosmo said:

Just an FYI, "ACTIVE" cases are now simply the number of cases "total" for the last 14 days.

Initially "active" was apparently part of an actual attempt to track recovered. Sometime in June, it was mostly the total of the last 14 days of cases.

And since the last of July, it pretty much is always exactly the total of the last 14 days of cases.

Maybe this was communicated to the public, and I just missed it.

Anyway, it's just a rough estimate now, and assumes everybody that is reported as a "case" takes 14 days to recover or die.
agreed, but at least the "message" is consistent. After 14 days you are dead or recovered, so doing the arithmetic, we at least have "probable" recoveries... I mean, why not, we have probable infections, so..... anyway.... the bottom line, there are fewer actively infected folks running around, and fewer, and fewer, etc.
I can see where it is something to consider, but it's not accurate. It's totally an estimate.

It gives the impression that this is being tracked the same as number of cases, hospitalizations (well... it was at one time), and deaths, along with zip codes, age and such.

I am frustrated as everyone else on trying to interpret more sketchy information. The latest being ethnicity is no longer accurate, along with failure to update 80+%'s.

And why not just call it "trailing 14 day count of new people testing positive"?


cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

trying to interpret more sketchy information.
coupled with ill or undefined terms.

ex: what is the difference between isolate and quarantine?

They actually mean different things and are often used interchangeably thus adding even more confusion. The reporting and leadership failures on this have been epic, but we've already plowed that ground multiple times.
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At what point will masks be optional? I am having a hard time keeping track of which government official is oppressing me in which way.
KidDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tailgate88 said:

At what point will masks be optional? I am having a hard time keeping track of which government official is oppressing me in which way.
Abbott's order has no expiration.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
KidDoc said:

Tailgate88 said:

At what point will masks be optional? I am having a hard time keeping track of which government official is oppressing me in which way.
Abbott's order has no expiration.


Unfortunately
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good to see hospitalization rates staying low, hope it continues.
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FlyRod said:

Good. I enjoy being able to go out and not have people trying to murder me by coughing and breathing on me.

Also don't miss y'all's stanky breath at all.
And when the masks finally go away you can replace it with a binky.
Esteban du Plantier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cavscout96 said:

KidDoc said:

Tailgate88 said:

At what point will masks be optional? I am having a hard time keeping track of which government official is oppressing me in which way.
Abbott's order has no expiration.


Unfortunately


Not a lawyer, but I can't see why an emergency truncation of liberty could possibly be acceptable without an expiration date.

Ok, we'll wear masks to save the world as long as you have to plead your case again in 6 weeks.
theNetSmith
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Staff, this mask debate is derailing the thread, and it bothers me so much that I have to complain about it.

How about some consistent moderation?
merc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They cancelled the free testing yesterday at 9 am and it never even rained. It's been raining all day today and they haven't said anything about it being opened or closed yet. Interesting.
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
theNetSmith said:

Staff, this mask debate is derailing the thread, and it bothers me so much that I have to complain about it.

How about some consistent moderation?
Since we have so few Covid cases, there are other issues that can be discussed.
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
theNetSmith said:

Staff, this mask debate is derailing the thread, and it bothers me so much that I have to complain about it.

How about some consistent moderation?


Except that the mask order is, or should be, linked to the numbers / data. So there is that.....
MiMi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Today's numbers: 20 new confirmed cases, 5 probable cases, 382 tests, 0 deaths

http://www.brazoshealth.org/node/94
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
so case counts back down to near nothing, no rise in hospitalization weeks after the students showed up (which always tends to lag behind the case spike)....

.....

.....
Is Not a Turtle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
yeah so two more weeks right?
theNetSmith
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cavscout96 said:

theNetSmith said:

Staff, this mask debate is derailing the thread, and it bothers me so much that I have to complain about it.

How about some consistent moderation?
Except that the mask order is, or should be, linked to the numbers / data. So there is that.....
Except that discussing how COVID has affected you personally is not allowed on this thread. So there is that...
lockett93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Region N hospitals at 10 (-2) Covid patients

44 fewer cases today than last Tuesday.

50% in the 18-24 age group

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q

Spreadsheet updated, chart tab updated

scd88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty rapid drop in new cases.
nthomas99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
theNetSmith said:

cavscout96 said:

theNetSmith said:

Staff, this mask debate is derailing the thread, and it bothers me so much that I have to complain about it.

How about some consistent moderation?
Except that the mask order is, or should be, linked to the numbers / data. So there is that.....
Except that discussing how COVID has affected you personally is not allowed on this thread. So there is that...
Yeah, as long people aren't devolving into personal attacks, I don't see the need for high moderation. Look at the posts on here since March. This has been somewhat of a discussion thread in addition to daily updates.

Let me frame it in a cases/update centric way as an honest, not trying to belittle anyone, question:

Given that the two big events in our community (TAMU starting back up and local kids going back to school) have happened and sufficient time has passed to measure the effects, and that despite that, hospitalizations, positivity rates, etc have decreased significantly, what further do we need to do/see in order to roll back measures further?

Even if I have to throw one on for a few seconds to run into Lowes so that others feel comfortable, when can my 6 year old daughter stop needlessly wearing one for 7-8 hours a day? When do we stop shrugging our shoulders at open ended government orders?
merc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
scd88 said:

Pretty rapid drop in new cases.
Free testing was closed yesterday but according to a co-worker it is back open even though today it is actually raining. /shrug
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
theNetSmith said:

cavscout96 said:

theNetSmith said:

Staff, this mask debate is derailing the thread, and it bothers me so much that I have to complain about it.

How about some consistent moderation?
Except that the mask order is, or should be, linked to the numbers / data. So there is that.....
Except that discussing how COVID has affected you personally is not allowed on this thread. So there is that...
yeah, not sure why that whole thing got removed...
MiMi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Quote:

A MESSAGE FROM TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY
September 22, 2020

Results from Round Two of the Random Testing Program at Texas A&M University demonstrated a drop in the overall positivity rate from 3.2 percent to 1.6 percent. The program will continue throughout the semester to help identify transmission hotspots for containing the spread of the virus that causes COVID-19.

Results from the second round of the Random Testing Program are below:
  • 9,782 students were invited by email to participate in the Random Testing Program
  • 6,902 (71 percent) responded to the invitation email and visited the pre-screening questionnaire
  • 5,498 (80 percent of respondents) were considered eligible through the pre-screening process
  • 3,436 (62 percent of eligible students) completed the testing program process, i.e. both the questionnaire and the COVID-19 test (laboratory results are available on 3,315 of these students)
Among eligible students who completed the COVID-19 test procedure:
  • 53 students (1.6 percent) with available results who took a COVID-19 test as part of this program tested positive
  • 0.9 percent of students living in campus housing tested positive
  • 2.0 percent of students living off-campus tested positive
  • 2.2 percent of students attending all courses remotely tested positive
  • 1.4 percent of students attending courses using a combination of remote and in-person interactions tested positive

Results for all testing, including the Random Testing Program, will be posted on the Texas A&M COVID-19 Dashboard.

Key Findings To Highlight

  • SARS-CoV-2 was detected in a smaller fraction of the student population in Round Two compared to Round One.
  • There was a dramatic decrease across the board in positivity among younger students.
  • Positivity is not higher among students attending in-person classes.

Other Findings From Our Survey

The overall goal of this kind of strategy is to understand population level factors and dynamics of COVID-19 in the community to inform opportunities for broad-scale public health education and other activities. It also serves to provide information about other COVID-19-related factors:
  • 81 percent of students attend classes by a combination of remote and in-person learning, while only 19 percent are attending remote lectures only.
  • 93 percent of students report they always use face coverings when interacting outside of their homes.

Although this program focuses on testing students who did not seek clinical testing (i.e. students who are asymptomatic or experience only mild symptoms), the research probed students regarding specific COVID-related symptoms. We found that headache (6 percent), sore or scratchy throat (3 percent), runny nose (3 percent), and nasal or sinus congestion (4 percent) were the most frequent. These symptoms were more common among individuals who tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, suggesting that, even if mild, students with these symptoms might benefit from COVID-19 testing in order to understand their infection status.

An added benefit of the program is to identify and inform students who are infected but who may not know it, and all students who test positive are notified of their results and provided clinical and community resources. Students who test positive are moved into isolation, and close contacts are notified through contact tracing efforts at the Texas A&M COVID Operations Center, which provides information and guidance on testing and quarantine.

Random And Adaptive Testing Process

The second iteration of the testing program was conducted the week of Sept. 7. The adaptive strategy of Round Two was informed by the data obtained through the first round of testing, making it possible to strategically test students who might have the highest risk of SARS-CoV-2 exposure. Again, students residing in university-owned housing, as well as those living off-campus and in private residences, were asked to participate, but undergraduate students were the focus of Round 2.
The adaptive approach means that results from each round of testing will inform subsequent testing strategies. Round 3 of the testing program is underway now. In this round, a total of 9,782 students were invited for testing Sept. 22-25.

The testing program will continue in this fashion as we continue to track and monitor SARS-CoV-2 among our community. Because a negative test today does not ensure that future exposures will not occur, students will receive multiple invitations to participate in this testing program.

President Michael K. Young offered the following:
"We are very proud of where we are six weeks into the semester. These results demonstrate the importance of the hard work and selfless service by our researchers, faculty, staff and especially our students," Young said. "We will remain vigilant in our strategies to combat COVID-19 and to give our students the best college experience possible."
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Among eligible students who completed the COVID-19 test procedure:
  • 53 students (1.6 percent) with available results who took a COVID-19 test as part of this program tested positive
  • 0.9 percent of students living in campus housing tested positive
  • 2.0 percent of students living off-campus tested positive
  • 2.2 percent of students attending all courses remotely tested positive
  • 1.4 percent of students attending courses using a combination of remote and in-person interactions tested positive

I guess now we know who parties more!
nought
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dubi said:

Quote:

Among eligible students who completed the COVID-19 test procedure:
  • 53 students (1.6 percent) with available results who took a COVID-19 test as part of this program tested positive
  • 0.9 percent of students living in campus housing tested positive
  • 2.0 percent of students living off-campus tested positive
  • 2.2 percent of students attending all courses remotely tested positive
  • 1.4 percent of students attending courses using a combination of remote and in-person interactions tested positive


Key takeaway from this:

Students who you might think are most at risk from being exposed to others more often on campus (those in on-campus housing and those attending courses in person) are actually less likely to test positive than those who are attending strictly online or live off-campus.

Again, why the fear?
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm sure I missed this, but how was a student considered to be "eligible" to be tested?
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FlyRod said:

I'm sure I missed this, but how was a student considered to be "eligible" to be tested?
They are sending random emails to the student body asking them to come in for testing.
Esteban du Plantier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lol, wrong thread.
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

They are sending random emails to the student body asking them to come in for testing.

That's how the process starts. But then it says the pre-screening determines eligibility...just don't know exactly what that means.

MiMi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Today's numbers: 56 new confirmed cases, 24 probable cases, 2,189 tests, 0 deaths

http://www.brazoshealth.org/node/94
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.