CSISD could take a lesson from BISD

24,722 Views | 158 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 4merStudent
nthomas99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jbob04 said:

Carnwellag2 said:

Have been disappointed in CSISD as well. Sending out a 40 page packet and saying go isn't acceptable. Especially when you have all the teachers still being paid and not putting in the hours.

1. every teacher should be holding class via zoom (recording the lesson as well to post).
2. Elementary age especially should be having much more interaction with the students.
3. The rest of the year should not just be a review.

Sending out a packet of info and getting PAID to do so is unacceptable.

Blame administration and TEA, not the teachers. Also, if you aren't satisfied with what your child is learning, get online and put some things together and come up with your own lesson plans.

Everyone has been pretty clear on this thread it's the leadership we're frustrated with. At least in the first week or so, my teacher friends told me they had effectively been told to sit on their hands. I don't know what the current guidance or expectations are. But honestly, do you think it's unfair to expect that teachers are at least putting in 4 hours each a day right now working with their students (in groups, or one-on-one as needed)?

Of course we're doing Khan academy, picking out books off of kindle unlimited, making lesson plan for them to follow, teaching them to help each other, and generally enjoying this time together. It's just eye opening to be consistently told "you can/should just do what the school district is supposed to be doing..." Fine, can I have the option to take the share of property taxes allocated to my children then to explore alternative options post-covid then?
Stupe
S
Quote:

1. every teacher should be holding class via zoom (recording the lesson as well to post).
2. Elementary age especially should be having much more interaction with the students.

I want them to have more structure, but each individual teacher can't take it upon themselves to decide if they are going to have graded or ungraded material.

It has to be uniform.
KaneIsAble
AG
Carnwellag2 said:

Have been disappointed in CSISD as well. Sending out a 40 page packet and saying go isn't acceptable. Especially when you have all the teachers still being paid and not putting in the hours.

How do you have zoom classrooms if not all students have a computer? Solve that problem, cool, now what about internet?

cavscout96
AG
Carnwellag2 said:

Another perspective... All of those salaries are already budgeted. You're still paying School tax. Why not pay the teachers? If the district retain Ed those salaries, they'd just find some BS project of little value to waste it on.
nthomas99
AG
KaneIsAble said:

Carnwellag2 said:

How do you have zoom classrooms if not all students have a computer? Solve that problem, cool, now what about internet?

Again, see what BISD is doing. For internet, Suddenlink is passing out free internet and everbody's most cell providers are offering unlimited data.

Also, at this point, if this is truly the limiting factor state so publicly. "5% of our families need are without critical technology at this time to continue education. We need X computers." Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but there's a "get 'er done attitude" in this community that probably will meet that need quickly.
KaneIsAble
AG
I get the optimism but struggle the realization of that when you have administrators walking through apartment complexes, going door to door, handing out this packets because there are parents who are unable to get to a school to pick them up.
nthomas99
AG
KaneIsAble said:

I get the optimism but struggle the realization of that when you have administrators walking through apartment complexes, going door to door, handing out this packets because there are parents who are unable to get to a school to pick them up.

That's fair. Honest question -- why are administrators doing this instead of focusing on the larger issues? Isn't this something teachers could be handling? Or just mail them (in city mail should deliver in a day right)? As local businesses are finding right now, it's time to efficiently utilize every resource we have.
Stupe
S
The less people that are going door to door right now, the better it is.
KaneIsAble
AG
I don't work for the district but know many who do but can't speak for the rhyme/reason. Just sharing what I do know to counter some opinions on this thread that are wrong.
BCS-Ag
At this point I would appreciate some insight from the superintendent or CSISD board members explaining why they haven't started a model like BISD. Until they do, we are all going to just keep speculating it is related to laziness, rather than funding or regulatory issues.
techno-ag
AG
cavscout96 said:

Carnwellag2 said:

Another perspective... All of those salaries are already budgeted. You're still paying School tax. Why not pay the teachers? If the district retain Ed those salaries, they'd just find some BS project of little value to waste it on.
This is a good point. Bear in mind too, teachers are under a contract. The district has to pay them even if the schools are shut down.

Public education is just so different from what people understand, unless they have family members working in the system. Many times on this board people have expressed shock at salaries or other aspects of teachers and their jobs. But teachers are getting paid. You can't just waive a wand and free up that part of the budget.
curry97
AG
I have a 6th grader in CSISD. I wish they would send out the work for the week on Sunday evening instead of Monday.
GeographyAg
AG
cavscout96 said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

cavscout96 said:

Tigermom84 said:

You are so right. I think this will be a wake up call to everyone who's kids are in the public and private school world. Can we truly do it ourselves? Do online programs work to accomplish the same level of education that they get in a brick and mortar place?
Unequivocally, YES.

Some of the best college students I've worked with are products of home education. They are, generally speaking, more engaged with the instructor, and have a much broader and deeper understanding of the world around them.

Again, I am not throwing stones at teachers. I am, however, very critical of the overall institution and it's inability to produce folks with even a modicum of critical thinking skills.

There are very notable exceptions. There are VERY bright and engaging kids from a "traditional" school setting, but when you look at the "average" product, in a higher ed setting, in MY anecdotal experience, there is a marked difference.

I find this the exact opposite in terms of group and social interaction within the teaching environment. That said if more parents would be hands on then it wouldn't fall into completely the lap of teachers in a brick and mortar setting.

What environment are you teaching in? Interesting.
I was going to ask the same question. If she/he's a PS teacher, then the comments I hear come from kids who were put back in PS because the homeschooling parent couldn't/didn't do a good job.

That's completely different than the 99% of Homeschooling parents who are dedicated to their kid's education and do a great job. PS teachers don't deal with them, so they're judging all homeschoolers by the failures.

That's like judging all PS teachers by the kids in detention or remedial classes. It's completely unfair.

Yes, I homeschooled our daughter all the way through high school. She graduated from TAMU and has an MLS from Drexel. She can hold a conversation with anybody of any age.
If I’m posting, it’s actually Mrs GeographyAg.
Mr. GeographyAg is a dedicated lurker.
nthomas99
AG
BCS-Ag said:

At this point I would appreciate some insight from the superintendent or CSISD board members explaining why they haven't started a model like BISD. Until they do, we are all going to just keep speculating it is related to laziness, rather than funding or regulatory issues.
Agreed.

And just in... the President just extended the nationwide social distance guidelines until April 30. So... can we all agree that it's time for a plan?
Wicked Good Ag
What are other school districts doing besides Bryan and CSISD??
Reason I ask I have heard that a movement is to continue school into June and basically cancelling the time for STARR prep and use these next two weeks for review. Not I don't know if this is for BISD OR CSISD at all
Turf96
KaneIsAble said:

Again our school district managing to the lowest common denominator. Get mad if you like, but it is on parents to provide for their kids. I feel terrible for kids that have parents so dead beat they refuse to dig out for their kids but all others should not be held back due to this.

Go ahead and tell me all about my privilege and lack of understanding. Just so you know I had one grandfather lose his mother at 1 year and father at age 3 end up being raised by a aunt that had nearly little to raise her own 3 kids. He was pushed by side and only made it by enlisting and fighting in the war.

The other grandfather ate soured beans, and literally had to kill any animal to eat in our out of season, Just to survive. He also fought in the war to get back out.

One grandmother recalled eating 8 meals a week. Don't tell me if you have the will you won't pull your way out. You know why they all said they made it? Every one of them said the world was not waiting on them so they knew they had to get serious and dig in.

Not complaining about people helping but *****ing whole hardily because we are leaving so many behind with nothing to do. Leaving no child behind has been a bandaid ever since it started as many genius kids were left way undereducated for their abilities. With this set up, 80% of our kids are getting left behind other districts. It time our administration and board leave the last Superintendents agenda behind and forge a new path to success. Yes we are calling on new people to have a new way of thinking. It's time to lead as you did when you were a principle. Let's get to work and educate our children. At this time say what you want but it just isn't happening.
AggieMom_38
The suggestions by some of you that we should enroll our kids online since CSISD isn't educating them infuriates me. Okay, we are doing that, but we shouldn't have to. There is no excuse for CSISD not educating our kids right now. No excuse and it's unacceptable. And by the way, I know for a fact that csisd has enough tablets and laptops to distribute to kids without tech (& as others have pointed out, internet is free by the providers right now). Why isn't CSISD figuring this out? Lazy or incompetent? I was recently told by a friend in admin at one of the schools that it's because they are afraid they won't get the computers/tablets back. Seriously?! Figure this out Mr Martindale. It's time to lead or step down. And teachers should get to teaching. Another week of "review" submitted by one grade level coordinator (and the assignments are plain silly!)... Are we going to do this for 4 more weeks/the rest of the school year?
techno-ag
AG
AggieMom_38 said:

The suggestions by some of you that we should enroll our kids online since CSISD isn't educating them infuriates me.

I think all they're trying to say is, if you don't think the school is doing a good job, you can do something about it. Ultimately your kids are your responsibility, not the school district's.
aggiefan2002
With all due respect, parents with kids in public school have that decision about what's best for their kids and that does not include homeschooling them or having them enroll in online academies. Now I know things have changed and this was a big curveball. But some very well regarded (I.e. not perpetual complainers) people on this forum have clearly stated CSISD is not up to snuff at this even compared to other districts/entities with similar resources and I completely agree.

Communication has been minimal to non existent.
Teachers have not been expected or empowered (or both) to continue engaging kids as a full time job.
Their is no clear vision or direction in any way.

It us truly the definition of treading water. And now we have another month. Someone needs to step up and fast. My kids are fine, and they will not suffer a bit. But this is an indictment on CSISD leadership and, for the first time for this parent, really has me wondering where else we're failing that I just haven't seen.
Horn_in_Aggieland
I was motivated to get my daughter's schooling on a schedule this morning and BAM the Schoology website seems to be down.
curry97
AG
Our son is having difficulty also. I tried through my app also with no luck.
Horn_in_Aggieland
Yeah, math teacher said there are issues this morning during a Zoom call.
Wicked Good Ag
AggieMom_38 said:

The suggestions by some of you that we should enroll our kids online since CSISD isn't educating them infuriates me. Okay, we are doing that, but we shouldn't have to. There is no excuse for CSISD not educating our kids right now. No excuse and it's unacceptable. And by the way, I know for a fact that csisd has enough tablets and laptops to distribute to kids without tech (& as others have pointed out, internet is free by the providers right now). Why isn't CSISD figuring this out? Lazy or incompetent? I was recently told by a friend in admin at one of the schools that it's because they are afraid they won't get the computers/tablets back. Seriously?! Figure this out Mr Martindale. It's time to lead or step down. And teachers should get to teaching. Another week of "review" submitted by one grade level coordinator (and the assignments are plain silly!)... Are we going to do this for 4 more weeks/the rest of the school year?

You want someone to step down after getting the job literally weeks before a unprecedented pandemic ??
scs01
Wicked Good Ag said:

AggieMom_38 said:

You want someone to step down after getting the job literally weeks before a unprecedented pandemic ??
I think the preference is for Martindale to lead--this is one of the options AggieMom_38 gave. And I would add, communicate more about why CSISD hasn't done more and most importantly what they are planning to do in the future.

cavscout96
AG
nthomas99 said:

KaneIsAble said:

That's fair. Honest question -- why are administrators doing this instead of focusing on the larger issues? Isn't this something teachers could be handling? Or just mail them (in city mail should deliver in a day right)? As local businesses are finding right now, it's time to efficiently utilize every resource we have.
could be wrong, but I THINK everything goes to N. Houston and back
AggieMom_38
I want someone to be a leader and figure things out or get the right people involved to figure things out. I have heard nothing but great things about Mr. Martindale, particularly during his time as the initial Principal of CSHS. But I don't believe the district is doing right by the kids. Teachers aren't teaching and there doesn't seem to be any plan in place for educating students moving forward. I just don't understand why teachers aren't teaching. And having a grade level coordinator place review lessons on Schoology is not teaching. Nor is having school reps going around in a "caravan" to wave to kids in neighborhoods. So, if he is overwhelmed because he is new or just not able, then involve people that can move us forward (that's also leadership). Absolutely no disrespect to him or any of the admin personally. It is a truly difficult time, we all get that. I just don't believe the education of our students should be sacrificed because someone is new or doesn't know how to move forward. Hopefully there is a plan in place. But we are now in week 3 and my child is doing review "busy" work and is not being educated.
CS_Aggie
Like many here, we have been eagerly waiting for the middle school to come up with a plan to help our child continue learning during the next two months of school. The email we received yesterday from a CSISD middle school principal was truly disappointing. Instead of prioritizing the education of our children and coming up with a reasonable plan to do so, the principal's email highlighted that middle school administrators and teachers would soon be driving around our neighborhoods in a silly van so they could wave at children through their windows. My initial reaction was that this had to be a joke. A caravan of teachers and administrators driving around town?? Seriously? These are middle school students who WANT to learn, not kindergarteners. CSISD, can we please get serious about educating our kids?
bloom
They should have provided this, but it appears they did not. Status updates on the Schoology website

https://status.schoology.com/
bloom
I know that BryanISD has distributed laptops to students, placing education over the cost of losing a portion of the computers. At least one local charter that educates primarily poverty students is passing out Chromebooks to students, knowing that many will not be returned and they will most likely not be reimbursed by the State of Texas or the Federal Govt.
I have to add that the percentage of students who care to see teachers and admin "caravan" is pretty darn small. The percentage of students who need guidance to continue their education is huge.
nthomas99
AG
Someone please tell me this caravan thing is a joke. It's news to me. This can't really be happening in a the middle of crunch time.

Fine send some teachers, but the admins?
techno-ag
AG
Personally I think the efforts at outreach during this troubling time by CSISD administrators is an admirable gesture. When students are kept at or near home, it's refreshing for them to see school personnel and know that they care.

This is a good move. Kudos to CSISD.
Koko Chingo
AG
I really wish CSISD had tried to press on with things. It would have been much better than what is going on now. Trying to motivate teenagers to study is difficult when emails from their principle says anything they do does not count or have to be turned in.

On a side note. When I was in high school a handful of kids had military contacts and would go on to basic training right after graduation. Their only motivation for passing their classes was having the military pay for them to get out of our small town. If high school student graduate late it could affect those students. It could also impact those going into military academies.
Horn_in_Aggieland
I'm late to this thread so I can't say I've read every post on here.

What does "teaching" the children look like exactly in this current situation? Zoom calls from 8-3? Learn at your own pace by completing posted assignments? What exactly is going to satisfy everyone?

I sat in on a Zoom meeting this morning with my daughter's intermediate school math teacher. There are kids at kitchen tables, kids outside, kids still in bed. And, there are teachers with babies crying in the background or sitting on their laps. There wasn't any instruction going and it was pretty much said there wouldn't be any instruction in the future.

It was mostly a chat session. Kids were asked if they had any questions (including about math). Questions were basically about if/when they will get to return to school. I'm not criticizing the teacher in any way. All of my daughter's teachers are holding Zoom calls and I plan on sitting in on more of them just to see what news I can gather.

I'm taking it upon myself to see that my daughter completes the "busy work" because she can learn and/or retain info from it. I'm also looking at Khan Academy because my I biggest concern is about her not retaining concepts (or worse, regressing) in math.

I am fortunate in that I get to work from home but learning to juggle work and being a part-time teacher is a struggle. Ultimately, my daughter is still my responsibility and I'll supplement her learning however I can with the resources I can find.

As for the caravan, maybe that was OK when the "quarantine" started. I feel like I'm in a science fiction movie when I write that. At this point, I don't see much use for it.
threecatcorner
I talked to my son's teacher and she said they were probably switching to not just review soon, but she also said the individual teachers aren't allowed to do their own lesson plans right now. It has to be all uniform across teachers and schools at each grade level, at least for now.

Schoology and the district website were both down earlier and then came back up. They probably crashed from too many people trying to access them at the same time.

Can anyone get 5th grade stuff to come up for this week? The previous week will come up but the current one is some link in Schoology that says it's not the right password even though I'm logged into that site when I try clicking it and enter the same username and password for the link.
AggieMom_38
I would be fine with the feel good stuff (some kids may need or benefit from the caravans and such, particularly young kidsI highly doubt that for most teenagers). My concern with these caravans of school spirit (or however framed) is that they seem to be in place of actual education. I certainly don't see anything wrong with staying connected to kids via weekly zoom check ins or asking HS students to provide your counselor a selfie because "you are missed" (this is going on as well). I agree with you that that's considerate and kind and do believe it may be particularly beneficial for some kids. But let's please not forget about education being the primary mission here and not overlook the kids/families seeking learning. and I feel that teachers are best to be teaching.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.