CSISD could take a lesson from BISD

24,699 Views | 158 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 4merStudent
poolgirl1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CSISD goes online on Monday. Check your students Schoology account for more information.
befitter
[Users are discussing this subject and everyone will be nice or will not be allowed to play. -Staff]
cavscout96
AG
Interesting. I wonder what about the populations we've interacted with is different. All of my experience is at the university level so maybe those students had already been "sifted" for lack of a better term?

Or maybe the families were more involved, as you suggest/noted. Manny f these were folks that had lived in multiple states or countries growing up so there is that experience/exposure as well.
chigger
AG
It's not for everyone, and I do think it's worth spending a lot of time researching (not making a hasty decision), but for those of you looking for information about online alternative schools, I suggest starting with https://www.txvsn.org/ and look into the TEA accredited programs. We have some experience with Texas Connections which is run through Houston ISD and thought it was very well run. We've decided on a more traditional homeschool style ourselves for our daughter but I think some of the VSN programs are very good from what I can tell.
91_Aggie
AG
TaterTot_09
Same here! I have a younger grade student at ILT. Like you I was impressed at the constant communication since this mess started and they got it together so fast! I love the idea of it being live and interactive with their teacher but I was expecting it to be at certain times of the day, not the entire day. It makes sense to structure it that way for older kids that can be left alone but for the younger ones it will be difficult. Believe it or not I do still have to leave the house quite frequently and it's not like I can leave her at home so that means she misses class. How the heck can I be in line at Heb when they open at 8 for meat and toilet paper if she has to be logged in at 7:55???
techno-ag
AG
[We are not going to allow an argument about which city is better on this thread. There is the warning to everyone. -Staff]
poolgirl1
Now is not the time to be throwing stones. We should all work together. #dudebenice
BCS-Ag
poolgirl1 said:

CSISD goes online on Monday. Check your students Schoology account for more information.

Uh, if you can call online "come pick up paper worksheets at school or print these PDFs at home" ... There send to be little plan for interactivity with teachers in this setup.
AggieH2000
AG
What is facilitated internet?
TalkNerdy2Me
AG
Campuses will be making it to where their wifi connection is accessible in school parking lots. So if you don't have wifi, can't sign up for the 60 days of free Suddenlink, don't have a wireless carrier with unlimited data or that can be used as a hotspot, you can go sit in a school parking lot and use the campus wifi connection.
girlmom3
At this point, BOTH Bryan ISD and CSISD have "optional" learning activities for home instruction. It says right on BISD's website that the activities are optional and NOT GRADED, which is exactly what CSISD is doing as well at this point. Both districts have sent out technology surveys and/or had teachers call to get this information. How one can be doing "better" than the other when they are doing the exact same thing is beyond me.

To be perfectly honest, the districts aren't overly worried about the kiddos whose parents are posting on online forums--if you're reading this, that means you. If those parents have the time and resources to be posting online, then they have the time and resources to help their children learn from home.

The districts are worried about the kids who will be left at home all day with no parental support, no technology, and no way to get food from the school. They are worried about the SPED students who are required to have X amount of minutes of support, but have no way of delivering that support because of the mandates in place. How about the SPED kid who is supposed to be getting support but has no internet access, lives in a rural community, and mom/dad/caregiver works full time outside of the home and has to continue to do so to pay the bills?

Fleen
musicforall
[We are going to keep this thread on track about local school districts and private schools but please feel free to start another thread about online options. Thank you. -Staff]
This is a new, dynamic situation so I'm giving CSISD the benefit of the doubt for now. I'm chalking up the rest of the current school year to a learning experience for all. Now, if they can't pull it together for the Fall 2020-21 semester, then I will not be as forgiving.
nthomas99
AG
girlmom3 said:

To be perfectly honest, the districts aren't overly worried about the kiddos whose parents are posting on online forums--if you're reading this, that means you. If those parents have the time and resources to be posting online, then they have the time and resources to help their children learn from home.

The districts are worried about the kids who will be left at home all day with no parental support, no technology, and no way to get food from the school. They are worried about the SPED students who are required to have X amount of minutes of support, but have no way of delivering that support because of the mandates in place. How about the SPED kid who is supposed to be getting support but has no internet access, lives in a rural community, and mom/dad/caregiver works full time outside of the home and has to continue to do so to pay the bills?
I get you what you're trying to say, but I disagree that it's ok for the school district to not be striving to do both and bringing all of its resources (e.g., teachers) to bear to do so. I can simultaneously agree with you that we should all be actively looking to serve and support the vulnerable right now and yet still call for excellence to help keep the necessary support systems of our thriving little community going for the common folk who are operating in overdrive mode right now (sustainable for the short-term but not several weeks out when we all are likely still going to be stuck at home), and for whom this is not an extended vacation. Frankly, it's really hard to see via email and social media from educators telling me to "enjoy this extended spring break". I bite my tongue (and don't type) because I know they're trying to frame this new reality in way that makes it palatable and less scary for all of us including our children.

On the other hand, my wife was expected to pivot in one week and deliver remote education to 100+ college students who still want graduate this semester. My company makes software supporting engineers in the power industry (who are literally working from their kitchen tables right now to keep the grid running smoothly, something for which we should all be extremely thankful. Can you imagine if all this technology suddenly went dark?). I can't just stop development or taking support calls.

Again, most of us aren't angry, we just disagree with the way that it's being handled (or perhaps with the lack of communication) and are tired because we're left to pick up the slack, without the usual luxury of calling in grandparents or other support systems. From what I've gathered, teachers have been actively told to sit on their hands. Why not get the wheels turning and course correct as needed?

In contrast, look how the University is handling it. I know "it's different", but the same basic principles / strategy can apply. They have set a standard for excellence ("we will deliver a quality education to our students starting March 23rd"), empowered instructors to come up with a plan for their classes and given them the resources to make it happen (the number of ad-hoc trainings I've seen going on across the system this week has been astounding). They've distributed the job of finding those who need help (instructors check on students, department heads check on instructors, etc). They've started the ball rolling, are allowing best practices to trickle upwards, and are being flexible to adapt as things progress. With this kind of approach, you see what works and what doesn't, iterate, and before you know it, you've arrived at a workable solution fast.

Turf96
girlmom3 said:

At this point, BOTH Bryan ISD and CSISD have "optional" learning activities for home instruction. It says right on BISD's website that the activities are optional and NOT GRADED, which is exactly what CSISD is doing as well at this point. Both districts have sent out technology surveys and/or had teachers call to get this information. How one can be doing "better" than the other when they are doing the exact same thing is beyond me.

First let me start off by asking you to state facts and that is not all CSISD parents or students have been contacted in any way with technology survey. You are now spreading some fake news. We have students in that school system and they have received none of what you state we have. Yes we are smart enough to look online and figure out what we will be doing come Monday. I can promise you not one survey was conducted with our family about technology.

For the comment that hacks me off and typical of our past leadership which I was hoping would change with the new. You as an educator or administrator should care about all students including those of us elite folks that can read a chat site. Saying that the school really isn't worried about my student is very telling of the degradation of our district over the last 5-6 years. The SJW signaling is tired. We don't have a large population That require hand holding as you seem to think deserve all the attention.

I also have to work daily and can not be at home with my children all day as you assume. Just because I can read a chat site doesn't make me wealthy and can just take off for 3 months. I do however take it on myself to provide food for my own children as that is the way life was intended. But you go on and assume we need no help so you can feel good about helping the more important. This isn't meant as an attack on you as much as to say what did I do to you to make you think my kids don't deserve same respect and treatment as a free lunch kid? This seems to be the issue with our district as of late. Turn back on kids to signal how we are all in on the less fortunate and im sick of it. No the free meal kids should not be left behind but neither should mine. Don't mange to a lowest common denominator. Mange to the needs of your district as a whole. If you can't meet needs of all students please step down and let real adults lead. After all that is their job to help all students achieve success.

If you work for school district let me ask you to first do your job for all students not just rich or the poor. No group deserves any less or more than another. Second start looking for the cracks in your distribution system. Some are being left out but don't worry about me as I read Texags so my kids should be just fine.

For the record I am confident our new leadership will turn this around. They were left with gaps and we know it. Many teachers in the district have expressed this to me personally. They have also stated to me personally first hand that the way the new school was started and by whom gives them some confidence that our past 5 years will not be the new norm. We can only hope. Our district has fallen far enough. Time to get back on horse and ride again.
AggieMom_38
No contact from CSISD beyond mass email everyone received (our experience and have verified with numerous friends/family, and no missed calls, we are sitting at home and have our cells on. One coworker who has a 2nd grader has been called by both principal and teacher. They are low SES so perhaps that is why, or perhaps just random). Two teachers have now posted on schoology for high schooler, nothing posted on schoology for a relative's child in MS). We are giving grace (of course we all are!) but this is after a week of "preparing" and that school will start back Monday. No surveys sent, by the way. And couldn't agree more with the prior two posts, so well stated! (i will further emphasize how remarkably A&M faculty and staff have pivoted and pulled things together this week).
threecatcorner
I have a kindergartner and a 5th grader in CSISD. I got phone calls from both kids' teachers, but one number showed up as "no caller ID" so I didn't answer. She left a voicemail with her number, so I called her back. They are calling from home / cell phones so you might get an unknown number. Check voicemail in case they missed you. They might also not have gotten through all the numbers yet, especially for bigger classes.

Both of the homeroom teachers asked if kids have access to a computer and internet and told me there will be some stuff on the school or district website starting Monday (and in Schoology), and the kindergarten teacher said she'll put something in Classtag (an app she uses to keep in contact with parents; can sort of text with her in that and they use it to have people sign up for bringing stuff to class parties and sharing pictures). They also both mentioned there's food available if needed.

I've also gotten emails for my kindergartener from her art teacher and music teacher.

The intermediate school sent out a video to the kids. Good chance of that landing in junk mail.

One of the teachers mentioned maybe doing something with Zoom but doesn't have it ready yet. She did mention that if we do something like that, she'll send me an email about it and I'll need to sign up with an email. I think that kids use an email and a phone or computer with camera to use that app.

Right now, they are just trying to get set up with possibly doing remote stuff for an unknown amount of time. Some of the teachers are not that tech-savvy and most haven't even been allowed on campus to get any of the stuff they left up there before spring break. Some may not have a ton of tech equipment at home.

At colleges, they have at least some distance classes so the general set-up exists even though it's only been for some classes. It will require some changes for them too though. At least some of the distance learning used to require the teacher to be on campus; I'd imagine they're shifting away from that and wanting as much as possible.
nthomas99
AG
Well, I'm not going to raise concerns and then not give kudos where due.

One of my children's teachers sent out an email last night saying they'll been running virtual office hours in a Zoom room for 3 days next week, for 4 hours each day, with the obvious caveats "this is optional and not graded." Utter joy on my kid's face.

Thanks so much to this teacher. Of course it's going to be bumpy, but gotta start somewhere.
txgardengirl
Aggiemom - are you on schoology? Is your child? My HS received multiple surveys last week from teachers at Consol that I Never saw but they completed.

We have received a call from our principal as of last Thursday, I don't tend to answer unknown calls as I get a ton of junk due to my business so I may have missed others.

3/6 classes have posted basic info and getting started messages. extra curricular coach has been in steady contact - again directly with my child and not me.

If I were you, I would call the school tomorrow morning - I had one friend that realized they had never updated their cell number only after calling the school.

Just a side note to all - I've found logging into Schoology on my computer is much more user friendly than the app, but I had never really tried that before.

We're all in this together - and tomorrow is always a new day.
girlmom3
Comparing this to A&M and Blinn really is apples and oranges. There are 10 elementary campuses in CSISD, with enrollment numbers ranging from (I'm guessing here) 400ish students to close to 650ish students per campus. I don't have actual numbers, but I would be willing to be that makes up more than 1/2 of the district. Getting children under the age of 10 to engage in distance learning and learn new material is a completely different animal than college kids or adults working from home.

Some of my children are elementary age and I did receive phone calls from each of their teachers asking if we had access to internet as well as how we preferred receiving materials. My middle schooler's school also sent out information both through email and Schoology.

I believe this is very much still a "work in progress" and these are just the first steps to getting distance learning set up. As someone mentioned previously, it's only been a week.
CS_Aggie
Until today, we had not seen anything from our children's HS or MS teachers--just the mass email CSISD sent out to all parents. No surveys to either of our students or to our home phone or cell phones as parents. Then our HS age child's chemistry teacher reached out this afternoon via email. This is our child's favorite class (aspires to be in the medical field someday). The email was beyond disappointing. It specifically stated that for a high school chemistry class, there will be ONE assignment per week posted in schoology. The assignment has two parts and is expected to take 30 minutes to complete. The teacher also went out of their way to say they would not be covering "any new material" but instead would be in review mode the rest of the year. As a parent, I'm sorry but this is outrageous and shows such indifference to our children's learning and growth. I understand (as has been posted here) that elementary school kids present unique challenges and that's a whole separate issue with 10 elementary schools in CSISD. But to take high school students who are eager to learn and trying to prepare for college and then tell them they get one assignment per week that is a 30-minute review?? Shame on CSISD! This is completely unacceptable.
AggieMom_38
I stand corrected - Middle School teacher has posted today a "Social Distancing" YouTube video for the kids to watch. I'm sure watching YouTube videos is something the kids need more of at this point! My High Schooler now has had 3 teachers that have posted on schoology, 2 with the assignments for the week. Won't be graded and all review (and planning for the next two weeks, at least, to be all review). One (for History) involves "reviewing" by drawing pictures of the world events they've covered this year (this is an Honors class; I'm curious what non-honors is doing). The English "assignments" are to continue reading their books (I can definitely support that, but don't really need the school for that assignment)

And, I am 100% confident the school has my contact information and no emails are going to spam - I'm fully competent and pretty tech (and phone) savvy, but thank you prior posters for the advice. And I'm not alone in having this experience (but glad some of you have been contacted!) And I have reached out to the Principal. I actually do not care if the school contacts me. I just request they do their job (like the rest of us are continuing to do our jobs and adapting as best we can given the situation and as things evolve). A&M but also other ISDs are figuring it out (and to the prior poster about prior online classes at A&M... that's just not correct as very few classes have ever been offered online at A&M nor at other research universities and the vast majority of instructors have never taught an online class. I'm sure this was a challenging week for faculty that aren't known for being tech savvy nor accepting of change! to transition like this and do it so quickly). So I do personally think CSISD can do quite a bit better, but I'm hoping that many of you that are optimistic are correct and that CSISD will figure it out soon. I have multiple teacher friends that are sad that the schools/admin are not allowing them to progress with educating students as they would like to and they've separately conveyed to me that the admin (not sure who that is - principals, higher ups?) are focused on only reviewing at this point out of concerns that those students without access or full parental support and commitment at home through all this would be left behind (in other words, school district doesn't want to widen the gap). Personally, I'd like us/them to figure out how to support those kids and bring them up rather than halting things for all kids.
cslifer
"Very few classes have ever been offered online at A&M"....might want to check into that. According to A&M they offer 1 undergrad degree, 48 graduate degrees and 29 certificates online. Add to that at many, if not most professors have some sort of online component to their classes.
SoTheySay
S
[We have made it clear that we are going to keep this thread on track about what the school districts are doing regarding lesson plan implementations. We are also going keep unsubstantiated rumors off of this thread as much as possible. Thank you. -Staff]
nthomas99
AG
Does anybody have any insight into what CSISD leadership is doing internally at this point? I feel like they should be in crisis mode and working overtime (like the rest of us), but unless I'm missing something, that isn't the case.

The March 23rd letter was very vague (e.g. "We will continue to meet, evaluate, problem-solve and adjust to best meet the needs of our students during this unique situation") and basically gave no timeline to improve the minimal level of support they're providing students right now. Even if they plan to maintain the status quo until April 10, do they have a plan on what to do if / when this goes past that date?

Things continue to move extremely slow -- the initial "survey" call didn't happen until this Monday for one of my kids and Tuesday for my other two kids.

It's been eye-opening as this whole situation magnifies the lack of incentives the system has to demand excellence (again, I'm speaking of administration, not the rank and file teachers). I've known this in the abstract for some time, but this really crystallizes it for me. For the short term, it makes me wonder if people who can't work right now should start advertising themselves as virtual tutors. I'd probably bite. In the long term, it makes me want to advocate for school vouchers or some change to bring some competition to the system.

Blue Baker goes Bear Grylls (improve. adapt. overcome.) and morphs itself into a grocery store in a matter of days to both survive and support the community (just one example of how competition demands a better solution). Why can't CSISD think outside the box? There's only like 10K idle computers in TAMU's open labs now. Surely something more can be done.
BCS-Ag
I'm frustrated with CSISD as well. It seems like the teachers are good with technology and want to do more, but their hands are tied by administration. My 5th grader had a 30 minute chaotic meeting with 5 teachers and ALL their students today. That's the first contact with most of his teachers and most of the time was spent showing their pets. C'mon, pull it together and start letting the teachers server the students they can!
91_Aggie
AG
nthomas99 said:

There's only like 10K idle computers in TAMU's open labs now. Surely something more can be done.

So, tell me how an ISD can do anything with TAMU's computers?!?!?

This is just a silly argument and adds to why staff should have shut down this thread a long time ago. It has degenerated into ignorant ideas like this. And before I get excoriated for using the term ignorant as a derogatory insult, it simply means that someone does not understand the subject they are talking about.

TAMU already cancelled all 3rd party events through at least May 31st on campus (graduation for CSHS already cancelled at Reed due tot this policy by TAMU) , so what makes anyone think that TAMU is going to allow 10,000 people on campus to use those computers?!?!

I understand wanting to join the mob mentality in bashing CSISD, but seriously, this country and the world has not seen any event like this since WWII.

People need to stop armchair, Monday morning quarterbacking as if they could plan this any better

nthomas99
AG
91_Aggie said:

nthomas99 said:

There's only like 10K idle computers in TAMU's open labs now. Surely something more can be done.

So, tell me how an ISD can do anything with TAMU's computers?!?!?

This is just a silly argument and adds to why staff should have shut down this thread a long time ago. It has degenerated into ignorant ideas like this. And before I get excoriated for using the term ignorant as a derogatory insult, it simply means that someone does not understand the subject they are talking about.

TAMU already cancelled all 3rd party events through at least May 31st on campus (graduation for CSHS already cancelled at Reed due tot this policy by TAMU) , so what makes anyone think that TAMU is going to allow 10,000 people on campus to use those computers?!?!

I understand wanting to join the mob mentality in bashing CSISD, but seriously, this country and the world has not seen any event like this since WWII.

People need to stop armchair, Monday morning quarterbacking as if they could plan this any better

The was said half in jest, half to drive home the point there are adequate resources in this town to meet one of the key needs CSISD claims is a hurdle to offering more remote offerings to our students. More to the point, BISD has Google Chromebooks waiting to be picked up by any student that asks and has partnered with Suddenlink to get them access. BISD and other school districts across the state are moving much quicker. Is it wrong to expect excellence from our district or at least more communication about where they are at?

The mayor said today the shelter-in-place will be extended, so the wait it out approach CSISD has taken just isn't going to work. I don't want to bash them, and I'm not angry. Many parents like us are just desperately in need of help, and I don't think it's a stretch for us to say CSISD isn't doing all they can.

YellowPot_97
AG
We've got a kindergartener in CSISD and kinda felt like we have been left in the wind. Had a couple zoom calls with our teacher and that has been great to see the teachers and kids all together. But the only help/guidance from the school is the Schoology thing. "Here's 45 pages to print out and look at". These kids need some lesson plans and structure and the school isn't providing either. And frankly, I could use some too. They've had over two weeks to come up with something. It's seems like they haven't put any effort in to continuing the kids education.
one MEEN Ag
AG
This whole situation should drive home the point that an education is what you make of it. For those kids in high school, It's an early test of who is most likely to succeed in college and it should be eye opening for the rest.

If you feel that your child is missing out on important school topics, have them go to other online resources. No grades are being handed out anyway.

KhanAcademy.com basically goes all the way up to sophomore year of college with their classes and exams. Brilliant.org has a more fun approach. There are plenty of good math YouTube channels that break down complex calculus foundations. 3brown1blue doesn't have an exam at the end, but you'll understand why integrals work after watching his videos.

Wish everyone the best as they juggle schooling from home and WFH themselves.
techno-ag
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

This whole situation should drive home the point that an education is what you make of it. For those kids in high school, It's an early test of who is most likely to succeed in college and it should be eye opening for the rest.

If you feel that your child is missing out on important school topics, have them go to other online resources. No grades are being handed out anyway.

KhanAcademy.com basically goes all the way up to sophomore year of college with their classes and exams. Brilliant.org has a more fun approach. There are plenty of good math YouTube channels that break down complex calculus foundations. 3brown1blue doesn't have an exam at the end, but you'll understand why integrals work after watching his videos.

Wish everyone the best as they juggle schooling from home and WFH themselves.
Well said. You can always enroll your kid in an online school, too.
Carnwellag2
Have been disappointed in CSISD as well. Sending out a 40 page packet and saying go isn't acceptable. Especially when you have all the teachers still being paid and not putting in the hours.

1. every teacher should be holding class via zoom (recording the lesson as well to post).
2. Elementary age especially should be having much more interaction with the students.
3. The rest of the year should not just be a review.

Sending out a packet of info and getting PAID to do so is unacceptable.
Jbob04
AG
Carnwellag2 said:

Have been disappointed in CSISD as well. Sending out a 40 page packet and saying go isn't acceptable. Especially when you have all the teachers still being paid and not putting in the hours.

1. every teacher should be holding class via zoom (recording the lesson as well to post).
2. Elementary age especially should be having much more interaction with the students.
3. The rest of the year should not just be a review.

Sending out a packet of info and getting PAID to do so is unacceptable.

Blame administration and TEA, not the teachers. Also, if you aren't satisfied with what your child is learning, get online and put some things together and come up with your own lesson plans.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.