Infant Daycare?

4,334 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by histag10
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any recommendations for infant daycare in the area? I would like to stay under $900/ month and would like somewhere open before 7:30.

Recently had my son in a daycare and had a spot saved for new baby; however, I had to remove my son from their care due to concerns about his wellbeing there (which means I have also lost my infant spot for January).
AggiePhil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you need it that early, Primrose and Kiddie Academy are probably your only options.
JMac03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maybe the new Stepping Stone? We were at the old one near campus and I was thinking you could drop off before 7:30. We moved away from there after we moved out of the infant room (which was wonderful) because I had issues with the Director.

We then moved to St. Thomas Aquinas and they were amazing. I am thinking they open at 7:30, but it has been quite a few years since we have been there.

I just looked at Stepping Stone (at least the one by campus) opens at like 6:30AM. The old director is still there. Obviously not everyone has issues with her, but I did. I still think they are probably a good school, and worth looking at. Feel free to email me if you want to know what my issues were - they weren't life threatening or anything. My email is in my profile.
Gangster Octopus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Prodigy opens at 7:15am and I can't say enough good things about the staff.
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggiePhil said:

If you need it that early, Primrose and Kiddie Academy are probably your only options.

Well those are both WAY over my budget.

If it's close to campus or between powersports and campus, I can do after 7:30. I can get into St. Anthony's, the only issue is they open at 7:30, and so does powersports - so I'd have to make it from St. Anthony's to powersports and then to campus all in 30 minutes. If even one kid is clingy or I hit a few red lights, i'm pretty sure i'd be late to work.
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JMac03 said:

Maybe the new Stepping Stone? We were at the old one near campus and I was thinking you could drop off before 7:30. We moved away from there after we moved out of the infant room (which was wonderful) because I had issues with the Director.

We then moved to St. Thomas Aquinas and they were amazing. I am thinking they open at 7:30, but it has been quite a few years since we have been there.

I just looked at Stepping Stone (at least the one by campus) opens at like 6:30AM. The old director is still there. Obviously not everyone has issues with her, but I did. I still think they are probably a good school, and worth looking at. Feel free to email me if you want to know what my issues were - they weren't life threatening or anything. My email is in my profile.


Thanks. I checked with Stepping Stone. They are at $998/month, and expect to go up 30-50 per month starting next month.

Check with St. Thomas (because I would love to go there), but they are booked out already through March of next year.
JMac03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That stinks. It couldn't hurt to get on the waiting list at St. Thomas - we got in months before we were expecting to, however we were 18ish months at the time. SS has really gone up in price. Hopefully others will be able to chime in.
selk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
St Thomas
Esteban du Plantier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stepping Stone rock prairie opens at 630.
Lovebird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KinderCare on Village Dr opens @ 6am, my son has been there since he was 3 months old and we love it.
AggiePhil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Close to campus, look at A&M UMC. We were there for a few months and liked it. My only complaint was the tiny playground where the kids are like animals in a cage.
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thank you all for the suggestions! I will certainly give them all a call and see what their rates and times are!
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
selk said:

St Thomas

I REALLY wanted to get into St. Thomas, but they are scheduling out through next March for infants and have a mile long wait list. I asked what the realistic odds were that I could get a spot in January, I was told I should probably keep looking because they just dont have any spots and dont foresee that many on the waitlist or in their care leaving.
MelsSass
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are you open to in-home daycare?
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MelsSass said:

Are you open to in-home daycare?

Yes, but we just left one so it would depend on the daycare and their status with the state.
OlAg2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gangster Octopus said:

Prodigy opens at 7:15am and I can't say enough good things about the staff.
I second Prodigy!
AGGODDESS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I third Prodigy. Email Ingrid at plc@prodigybcs.com she can fill you in on pricing and availability. You can tell her Kourtney sent you to take away the awkwardness.
justalocal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you are interested in someone in your home, you can put an ad on jobsforaggies.tamu.edu and hire a few college girls. We did this until our twins turned 2 and could go to preschool and we do this each summer. We've had really good luck with the sitters we've hired. I pay per day and it's more than you want to spend but you might be able to negotiate. Good luck.
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thought about that, but we live out of town. I also hire students to work for me in my job, and i dont think id trust any of them with a newborn. I also just cant afford that much a month while im also payong for my sons preschool.
justalocal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just curious, why would you not trust a college student with a newborn? That's what you'll find in many of the daycares. Most of the resumes that I received, they've been either babysitting, working at a daycare, or kids klub. I had twins that were preemies and like I said, we had great luck with college girls...and they got individual attention. It's a 4:1 ratio in a daycare - that's what I did in college, plenty of rough days there.
selk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We got on the waitlist a week after he was born, we got in 2.5 years later We did in-home before getting in, almost enrolled at longmire learning center
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
justalocal said:

Just curious, why would you not trust a college student with a newborn? That's what you'll find in many of the daycares. Most of the resumes that I received, they've been either babysitting, working at a daycare, or kids klub. I had twins that were preemies and like I said, we had great luck with college girls...and they got individual attention. It's a 4:1 ratio in a daycare - that's what I did in college, plenty of rough days there.


Most of them are unreliable at best, and neither my husband nor myself can randonly take off work because someone was hungover and cant come in.
AggieAces06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Try looking at BCS Sitters if you are interested in hiring someone to come to your house. They screen all their sitters and do background checks.

Also, we had to do a scramble to get infant care when we didn't make it into our top choices in time. We used Bullfrogs and Butterflies in Bryan. They were able to squeeze us in and we stayed there until one of our top choices opened up. It was a little out of the way for us, but they did a great job.
93Towny
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
All of our kids are at St. Thomas... but during the summer and for infants we use Aggieland preschool.

Also Bright Beginnings was great.

Good Luck!
lifeincartoonmotion
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think the Kindercares open at 6 and are reasonably priced. There are 3 around town.

We love Prodigy, but they open at 7:15!
GrimesCoAg95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How far out of town?
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GrimesCoAg95 said:

How far out of town?


North of Wixon Valley, but i work on campus.
JP76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
histag10 said:

GrimesCoAg95 said:

How far out of town?


North of Wixon Valley, but i work on campus.


Tabor area ?
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah kind of. Between Tabor road and OSR
JP76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
histag10 said:

Yeah kind of. Between Tabor road and OSR



https://m.facebook.com/Rockin-Baby-Ranch-Day-Care-168030889925392/reviews
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JP76 said:

histag10 said:

Yeah kind of. Between Tabor road and OSR



https://m.facebook.com/Rockin-Baby-Ranch-Day-Care-168030889925392/reviews


Thank you! They look great! Unfortunately, they open at 730 and close at 530, which I cannot do with my sons preschool.
AggieBarstool
How long do you want to ignore this user?
histag10 said:

justalocal said:

Just curious, why would you not trust a college student with a newborn? That's what you'll find in many of the daycares. Most of the resumes that I received, they've been either babysitting, working at a daycare, or kids klub. I had twins that were preemies and like I said, we had great luck with college girls...and they got individual attention. It's a 4:1 ratio in a daycare - that's what I did in college, plenty of rough days there.


Most of them are unreliable at best, and neither my husband nor myself can randonly take off work because someone was hungover and cant come in.
My wife is a 36 year old grad student looking for part time work and is EXCELLENT with children (worked as a teacher for a while, taught classes at A&M, worked in a vet office for a while... etc.). If you don't need someone full-time, I'd be happy to put you in touch with her. I'm sure she can be reasonable with her rates.
double b
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What kind of classes did your wife teach before?
AggieBarstool
How long do you want to ignore this user?
She taught science & coached softball at Allen Academy and was a biology lab instructor at A&M.
justalocal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
histag10 said:

justalocal said:

Just curious, why would you not trust a college student with a newborn? That's what you'll find in many of the daycares. Most of the resumes that I received, they've been either babysitting, working at a daycare, or kids klub. I had twins that were preemies and like I said, we had great luck with college girls...and they got individual attention. It's a 4:1 ratio in a daycare - that's what I did in college, plenty of rough days there.


Most of them are unreliable at best, and neither my husband nor myself can randonly take off work because someone was hungover and cant come in.
You must work/hire with some low caliber students if you think most of them are like this, have a bad pool of applicants, or not selecting well. The student workers that we had when I worked on campus were not like that either nor are the sitters we've hired.

Good luck with your search.
Page 1 of 2
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.