No 15 item or less checkout line at Kroger

10,805 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Oogway
Ajollyag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Logistic wise you would think these stores would use either self checkout and full service checkout or just 15 or less checkout and full service checkout. The people going through self checkout usually dont have more than 15 items in the first place.

People who order 15 or less should go through self checkout or wait in line in a full service checkout. Just get rid of 15 or less rule altogether
The Anchor
AG
Justin2010 said:

I went through Kroger one time and used the HEB website on my phone to price-check everything I put into my cart. Every single item, literally every one, ranged from 5-30% cheaper at HEB.

I like that Kroger is generally less crowded - but that's about the only positive - and it's probably not a positive that the Kroger managers are happy about.
But, you get FUEL POINTS!!! Never mind that you end up paying way more than the points are worth.
bobinator
AG
I hate at HEB when I have more than 15 items and one of the people at the 15 items or less lane will be like 'I can help you here' because nobody is in line and then I start unloading all my items and then someone behind me comes up with like two things and gives me the cold stare and then on the inside I'm like "THIS ISN'T MY FAULT THEY TOLD ME TO COME HERE."

It's very stressful.

BTW, has anyone tried the HEB Go app thing? At the Jones Crossing HEB we basically never have to wait for a lane for longer than like a minute so I've never really bothered to try it.
Builder93
AG
[If you have questions about moderation please email us. -Staff]
BaitShack
AG
bobinator said:

JI hate at HEB when I have more than 15 items and one of the people at the 15 items or less lane will be like 'I can help you here' because nobody is in line and then I start unloading all my items and then someone behind me comes up with like two things and gives me the cold stare and then on the inside I'm like "THIS ISN'T MY FAULT THEY TOLD ME TO COME HERE."

It's very stressful.

BTW, has anyone tried the HEB Go app thing? At the Jones Crossing HEB we basically never have to wait for a lane for longer than like a minute so I've never really bothered to try it.
I use the go app all the time. I'm not sure if it saves any time but it sure makes it easy to check out. My cheap phone has trouble scanning sometimes. Plus you get to bag your own stuff the way you want it.
BaitShack
AG
Some of the single serve meals have the bar code on the bottom so you have to flip those upside down to scan.
Bob2525
I have been a Kroger shopper for the last 30 years, and for the past few shopping Boonville.
After repeated trips of checkers gossiping like high school brats, employees running me down with those big as$ online shopping carts, common items out of stock, the beer selection going way down I decided to check out the new HEB by the CS high school. Aaand.... I have a new favorite store.
This one has all the name brand chips instead of pushing their own.
The most amazing beer selection rivaling Specs.
Wide isles.
Did I mention their beer selection? And the fact they keep the craft beer separated from the other "beer" by the wine isle!
Great produce, bakery, meats, seafood (lobster constantly on sale it seems), etc,etc,etc.

Kroger management has been pushing profits at the cost of customer satisfaction and that is costing them 10k a year just from my shopping.
Kbeauty63
AG
I personally love the self checkout...but I worked for a grocery store chain for 15 years. I know how to scan my items & can get in & out quickly. The closest (big) grocery store to me is Kroger - so that's where I go. If I lived in South College Station - I'd be all over the Jones Crossing HEB - it is fabulous..but I'm not. So, I go to the closest one.
Nosh
Shop HEB.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/frozen-berries-recall-2019-costco-joins-kroger-in-recalling-townsend-farms-frozen-berries-due-to-hepatitis-a-concerns/
woodiewood1
I was at the Krogers at Hwy 6 and boonville road and had two items. The two checkers open had about six persons in line each. I asked an assistant manager standing near the lines, "You don't have the 15 and under checkout anymore?" He looked at me and said in a smart-a55 tone of voice, Yes we do and then pointed at the self check area. I said thank you and set the two items down on top of the nearest endcap display and said have a great day.

It's amazing to me that someone can become an assistant manager at a customer-basd business and not have a clue.

I predict in a few years, it will be HEB and Walmart/Sams as the two major options for groceries in this county.

BlueMiles
AG
He'll be replaced by a robot, probably sooner than later.
halibut sinclair
[This is a forum for people to discuss or give opinions about local issues in a respectful manner. If you don't like that then maybe you should find a different website. -Staff]
Wicked Good Ag
We don't have any aligence to a grocery store
Kroger is closer for the one or two item runs

Sometimes the prices for items are cheaper at Kroger and sometimes they are cheaper at HEB. It honestly depends on what our focus is at the time of going

Produce is better at Kroger in my opinion. trail mix stuff is much better quality and options at HEB

brand names usually cheaper at HEB unless Kroger has a 5 for 5 sale going on items we like

Store checkout is about the same as I always use self checkout

We get tons of gift cards during the four times the fuel points at Kroger because at this time our situation we need to save in gas
AggieBarstool
Wife and I decided to try HEB for our weekly grocery run this morning. Went at 10am to the Jones Crossing location. My observations:

• Obviously the store is huge.
  • LOTS of selection
  • Some stuff has better pricing, but not everything.
  • Meat at HEB > meat at Kroger
  • Product at HEB < produce at Kroger.
  • The online shopping experience for HEB is abysmal. That alone is enough to keep me using Kroger.
  • I abso-****ing-lutely hate the self checkout lines at HEB. They are super slow.

Altogether, I didn't hate my HEB experience. We spent a little less money. It would take some getting used to their app.
agfan1030
Speaking from Huntsville .... Kroger vs HEB

Shop Kroger almost 100% each month (occasional trips to HEB for a couple of things but not even every month).

Why I have stayed with Kroger: I get $120+ back each year using a Kroger card in checks to be used for Kroger shopping (same as cash back for me/have to buy groceries anyway). Also, I get good digital coupons to download along with paper coupons. Each gas purchase get forty + cents off per gallon. Like Kroger sales better than HEB's. I find using the HEB paper coupons harder. The little group purchase coupons are not always saving because some of the items I don't need/use. (The buy this and get 3 items free. Hate trying to figure out if I've gotten everything and be sure to have the paper coupon. Takes more time/effort to do that, too.) I like the digital coupons at Kroger. Kroger sales papers are easier to read than HEB's. Like the "buy 5" sales where you can combine many different items. I like our Kroger's produce dept. better than HEB's. To me the layout at the Huntsville Kroger is much easier to shop than the Huntsville HEB. If I was shopping HEB it would take me longer to shop. The main advantage at HEB here is checkout. But, I've still not had to wait so long of a time that I was irritated. Staff at Kroger here is very willing to check someone out in the self check lanes. HEB inside looks like a very busy warehouse. It's congested with lots of kids tagging along with parents.

I was excited when a large HEB opened in Huntsville. I tried shopping there but ended up going back to Kroger as my main store even though the HEB store is handier for me.
Counterpoint
AG
agfan1030 said:

Shop Kroger almost 100% each month (occasional trips to HEB for a couple of things but not even every month).

Why I have stayed with Kroger: I get $120+ back each year using a Kroger card in checks to be used for Kroger shopping (same as cash back for me/have to buy groceries anyway). Also, I get good digital coupons to download along with paper coupons. Each gas purchase get forty + cents off per gallon. Like Kroger sales better than HEB's. I find using the HEB paper coupons harder. The little group purchase coupons are not always saving because some of the items I don't need/use. (The buy this and get 3 items free. Hate trying to figure out if I've gotten everything and be sure to have the paper coupon. Takes more time/effort to do that, too.) I like the digital coupons at Kroger. Kroger sales papers are easier to read than HEB's. Like the "buy 5" sales where you can combine many different items. I like our Kroger's produce dept. better than HEB's. To me the layout at the Huntsville Kroger is much easier to shop than the Huntsville HEB. If I was shopping HEB it would take me longer to shop. The main advantage at HEB here is checkout. But, I've still not had to wait so long of a time that I was irritated. Staff at Kroger here is very willing to check someone out in the self check lanes. HEB inside looks like a very busy warehouse. It's congested with lots of kids tagging along with parents.

I was excited when a large HEB opened in Huntsville. I tried shopping there but ended up going back to Kroger as my main store even though the HEB store is handier for me.

But even with all those discounts and rebates and cash back, wasn't it still more expensive than HEB overall?
Ajollyag
agfan1030 said:

There are much better credit cards out there ya know... and who cares how much you save when all the prodcuts are marked up 10%-15% higher than HEB
duffelpud
AG
"What's this button do?"
W
AG
perhaps stating the obvious...if you are a regular Kroger shopper...you need to learn how to use the U-Scan self-checkout
armymom
It is wonderful that in America we have options where to live, eat and shop! Even better one can choose what works best for themselves and care less what anyone else thinks!
montegobay
That Huntsville Kroger is amazing. Neither of the stores here are even close to it. It's technologically advanced and almost brand new.
Average Joe
AG
Kroger is only a savings when you buy kroger brand items.
spike427
AG
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

Not going to pile on, I already stated facts earlier in the thread

Just a PSA: I ran into the VM/Texas H-E-B just now to grab a couple things. As usual ended up with half a cart

Personal seedless watermelon $0.77. No joke. I know the grower and thats a huge loss leader. Crazy cheap

Bicolor sweet corn TEN ears for a buck

Those 77 cent watermelons are outstanding, too. 3 kids and I almost polished off a whole one tonight.

I only ever go to the RP Kroger and the meat selection is the pits. It smells like fish back there and too many fresh options have brine or solution with ingredients. I just want plain pork, beef or chicken. I buy a few things that HEB doesn't carry, or shop super sale items, but I am there maybe once a month. I spend over $10,000/ year at HEB.
summergal
Are they ever going to expand the Boonville Kroger, or has that ship sailed?
CollegeStationMaid
I feel the same way about Kroger as you do about HEB. I'm lost at Kroger, the sales confuse me and I could go on and on. That's because Kroger is what you're used to and HEB is what I am used to. We tend to get comfortable and don't always like to try new things.

Price and accessibility, HEB will always win for me.
aggiepaintrain
AG
RP had 4 regular lines open yesterday plus the self check so that's good, maybe they read TA.
Well, okay then
AG
What is this "Kroger" you speak of?

- HEB patron
Wicked Good Ag
I will say that while HEB usually has Kroger beat on prices. Chips of any kind can generally be found cheaper at Kroger and sometimes a lot cheaper with the five or five deals.

Deli section at HEB wins in service and time but prices mirror each other a lot of the time.
Name brands of aisle goods usually are cheaper at HEB but the coupons can make it Kroger sometimes

We love Kroger for the fuel points on gift cards when 4X and will stock up quite a bit during that time especially if we have a trip planned
bugle rank '87
AG
My family frequents both HEB and Kroger. There are good and bad about both. I am worried HEB is going to run competitors out of town. I saw this happen in south Texas. Once they ran off the competition the prices skyrocketed and there was no other choice but to shop there.
We’ve never lost a halftime...
techno-ag
AG
bugle rank '87 said:

My family frequents both HEB and Kroger. There are good and bad about both. I am worried HEB is going to run competitors out of town. I saw this happen in south Texas. Once they ran off the competition the prices skyrocketed and there was no other choice but to shop there.
I think Walmart will stay, regardless. Kroger seems committed to the area, too. OTOH, besides niche operators like Aldi and such, I don't expect another major grocer to try their hand in our market anytime soon.
Sleepnumber
AG
Well, okay then said:

What is this "Kroger" you speak of?

- HEB patron
FWIW, the current edition of Consumer Reports ranks every US supermarket. HEB was 14th and Kroger was 67th. Number 1 was Central Market, although it's part of HEB. Aldi was 23rd. Target was ranked 76th, while Walmart was 93rd (third from last).
Oogway
Kroger on Rock Prairie is handing out free BBQ rib samples today. At least they were when I swung by to grab some fruit.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.