No 15 item or less checkout line at Kroger

10,755 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Oogway
cs69ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For the past 60-90 days and based on 2 trips per week, there has only been self check out or 2-3 lines with lots of shoppers in line with large baskets. lots of items and coupons....making check out fairly slow.

It is my understanding that corporate wants more people to use self check out. I am considering shopping at HEB over the decision. I am satisfied with every other aspect at Kroger, but maybe I will like HEB better.
Anyone else prefer the quicker 15 item lane?
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
I'm just being brutally honest: HEB is so far superior in every category that Kroger would have to be 30-45 minutes closer for me to shop there. Even then, I would probably just use Kroger for a few quickie items.

I am a vendor to both, as well as virtually every food retailer in Texas. I'm seriously of the opinion that Kroger is this generation's Safeway/Randalls/Tom Thumb
aggiepaintrain
AG
1 open check out lane at RP. Either open up more self check lanes or get more checkers.
Either way I only use them for a few items a week.
HEB is so much easier to utilize. Better prices too
happyinBCS
HEB is the best by far, wait till the new one opens on Boonville and the Kroger 5 blocks away will close within 6 months
Wicked Good Ag
I would say Kroger produce is a bit better and we like the fuel points aspect of it. But otherwise it is HEB
91_Aggie
AG
With an HEB in town, why would anyone shop at Kroger.
GottaRide
S
happyinBCS said:

HEB is the best by far, wait till the new one opens on Boonville and the Kroger 5 blocks away will close within 6 months

Source or more details, please?
BCStalk
Supposedly going in around University and Boonville
Stupe
S
That's more than five blocks.
GottaRide
S
I want to believe. Thanks.
happyinBCS
Dirt work at Boonville in front of Wheeler ridge
Oogway
Love the produce at Kroger; they have great fruit. The peaches this week have been delicious!
halibut sinclair
We love the Bryan Kroger.
armymom
I love Kroger for the fuel points, Nolan Ryan Beef and We save a lot every month! I shopped today at 4pm and they had 4 checkouts and my line was quick. No complaints. I have always preferred Kroger over HEB. I just haven't found that alluring appeal of HEB that everyone else has. I'm thankful Kroger is close!
AggieBarstool
91_Aggie said:

Because I don't like to fight the throngs of frat daddies and their sorority girlfriends picking up a keg and a pint of Ben & Jerry's.

While I like HEB and what they stand for (and the fact that they're a Texas original), I will always choose Kroger. Kroger, to me, is like Target compared to Walmart; sure, it's a little more expensive, but I'll happily pay a few bucks more for a better product and not fight the crowds of people that'll get on my nerves.
Ajollyag
happyinBCS said:

And your sure that is the HEB? Because owners of the land there is summit crossing or something like that.
bushytailed
AG
I've overheard a couple cashiers at the TP HEB discuss how they've been asked to move to the "Booneville HEB" when it opens.
TXAG 05
AG
91_Aggie said:

This. Better quality, better prices, better employees, , cleaner, etc. HEB is better in every way.
toolshed
AG
happyinBCS said:

That would be apartments, maybe some retail, can't recall. But not an H-E-B.
turfman80
AG
The new HEB is supposed to be at the Boonville/University intersection
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
montegobay
I used to shop at Kroger exclusively. However, I get tired of waiting in a line of five people with full carts because they won't open any other checkouts. It is clearly a staffing issue. They simply aren't going to hire or have enough people working at any given time. In the past, I would reason that the fuel points were worth it. Now, I only go there if there are certain Kroger brand things I need or when they're having a wine sale for 20% off. Otherwise, I go to H-E-B.
jello123
I too prefer HEB but have an issue with a couple of their locations, specifically Holleman @ Tx... when I am there buying a cart full of groceries, I CANNOT find anything open except the express lines (15 or less), 10 or more of them open! I have to ask where can I check out if everything open is express???!!!! Then they point me to the one checkout for those buying a lot of groceries and that line is 4-5 deep. RIDICULOUS!
Bunk Moreland
AggieBarstool said:

91_Aggie said:

Because I don't like to fight the throngs of frat daddies and their sorority girlfriends picking up a keg and a pint of Ben & Jerry's.

While I like HEB and what they stand for (and the fact that they're a Texas original), I will always choose Kroger. Kroger, to me, is like Target compared to Walmart; sure, it's a little more expensive, but I'll happily pay a few bucks more for a better product and not fight the crowds of people that'll get on my nerves.

I find the common shopper at Kroger to be much more on the inconsiderate, sloppy, lazy, side than HEB around BCS. Nobody pays attention to where they're going. It's like everyone inside a Kroger turns into an 85 year old in the left lane on Sunday.

Kroger could have 1/10th the foot traffic and I could still have a more pleasant shopping experience at HEB.
75AG
AG
Quote:

I find the common shopper at Kroger to be much more on the inconsiderate, sloppy, lazy, side than HEB around BCS. Nobody pays attention to where they're going. It's like everyone inside a Kroger turns into an 85 year old in the left lane on Sunday.
Well, this is the biggest crock of crap posted on this site in days. Thanks for the chuckle!
K2T2
Checking out has been a problem at Kroger for years, ever since they added self checkout. They push hard to get you to use the self checkout and keep as few regular lanes open as possible. HEB is superior in every way, including checkout - ample regular and express checkout lanes, self checkout, and scan as you shop stations. Plus there's usually an employee there to direct you to an empty or short line.
dallasiteinsa02
They also put their slowest employee overseeing it.

While we are discussing self checkout, the Lowes at Finch is the only Lowes that the person managing self check doesn't offer to just check you out when there is no one else using self check out.
Stupe
S
I shop at HEB, but that is just stupid.
95_Aggie
AG
I shop at both (Kroger has better produce), but customer service is definitely an issue at RP Kroger.

It seems everyone wants to work at HEB and Kroger gets the leftovers. (No offense intended to anyone on the board that actually works at Kroger.)
Stupe
S
Comparing Rock Prairie Kroger to HEB Tower Point, I would agree.
bobinator
AG
I'm wondering if the gap on this thread might be people shopping at other Krogers vs the Rock Prairie Kroger. I'm a total HEB homer, but I can admit there are some good Krogers out there. The Boonville one, for example, is fine.

But the Rock Prairie Kroger is like going back in time 20 years. It seems half full of like aimless drifters just clogging up the aisles but seemingly not actually buying anything. There could be five people in the whole store and it still takes 45 minutes to get out of there.

It's like some kind of performance art where everyone at the Rock Prairie Kroger is getting paid to make your trip into the place take as long as humanly possible.

Before the Jones Crossing HEB was finished Kroger was a lot closer to our house than the nearest HEB, so every few months when I just needed milk or something I'd convince myself it wasn't really that bad and then I'd go to Kroger and then remember is likes a scene out of the walking dead in there.
Justin2010
AG
I went through Kroger one time and used the HEB website on my phone to price-check everything I put into my cart. Every single item, literally every one, ranged from 5-30% cheaper at HEB.

I like that Kroger is generally less crowded - but that's about the only positive - and it's probably not a positive that the Kroger managers are happy about.
trouble
AG
I can't stand the Boonville Kroger. Every time I'm in there, I want to slap myself for not just going to HEB. That place is horrible.
Nosh
Ill only shop at HEB.
Abbyag06
I absolutely hate self checkout and refuse to use it if possible. The Kroger on Boonville is horrible about having full checkouts open. My husband refuses to help there now. HEB on Texas is getting just as bad. We do big shopping there for our family and there are 2 or 3 lines open and you have to wait in line. Do that many people buy less than 15 items that they need 90% of the registers committed to them? Seems they could do self checkout and open more full service registers. They have a huge self checkout area now. I sincerely hope HEB opens a store on Boonville. I live in the area and would love another store close by and hopefully have more cashiers.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Not going to pile on, I already stated facts earlier in the thread

Just a PSA: I ran into the VM/Texas H-E-B just now to grab a couple things. As usual ended up with half a cart

Personal seedless watermelon $0.77. No joke. I know the grower and thats a huge loss leader. Crazy cheap

Bicolor sweet corn TEN ears for a buck
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.