Changes coming to CSISD

32,056 Views | 148 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Stupe
Doc4rock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agree people have the right of freedom of speech but it's easy to post on a message board with no consequences.
Stupe
S
That's true, it's very easy to say something on a message board without consequences.

For example, people can come on here and chastise people for stating their opinions on a topic that has stressed out a lot of people and call them complainers or whiners without having to worry about who they are talking to or how they have been affected.

They also don't have to worry about whether or not those people spoke in the open forums and gave their opinions in person because details and facts don't matter when there aren't consequences.

You are 100% correct.
Doc4rock
AG
Stupe
S
That's not what I said. However, I'm not going to bother making my point again to a person that immediately resorts to generalized fallacious arguments.
Doc4rock
AG
Ok
Turf96
Oh I didn't realize all of that just knew it was odd at one board meeting it didn't matter what was voted on to purchase you only had 6 votes. I have served on board where I had to obstain from input on this or that but not a large part of the actual business. Just didn't make sense to me at all. Thanks for input. I'll see what I can figure out.
Oogway
Some news of interest to College Station residents:

Kimberly McAdams and Josh Benn have filed and will be running for trustee positions.

McAdams is running for Place 5 (currently held by Quinn Williams) and Benn is running for the Place 3 (held by Michael Wesson) Neither of the current trustees will be running for reelection.

Know both of these candidates and they are top notch folks who know a lot about the school systems and the issues they face. Have worked with them both in a volunteer capacity and am pleased they've tossed their hats in the ring.
Tigermom84
AG
What sort of volunteer work does Benn do? Stuff with kids? Mcadams is running again right? Didn't she run a few years ago?
Oogway
A lot, too much to name but very active with children and MHMR, Cougar Club and so on. McAdams was a trustee from 2011-2014.
CS_Aggie
Time to do the happy dance!

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/3-CSISD-board-members-not-running-for-re-election-513369111.html

Any other word on who else might be running besides the two who have already filed?
CS78
Hopefully the new candidates will be willing to spill their guts on where they stand on the hot button issues. Not just a bunch of "I want to serve my community" BS.
Stupe
S
I just want them to do what is best for the kids and families of both high schools and to realize that the students are people and not numbers or statistics.
EVA3
AG
Stupe said:

I just want them to do what is best for the kids and families of both high schools and to realize that the students are people and not numbers or statistics.
Then getting rid of these three is a good start.
Wicked Good Ag
I thought Wesson was moving to work at Auburn University. Maybe it is his wife that is leaving
legalbird
wait
lockett93
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

I thought Wesson was moving to work at Auburn University. Maybe it is his wife that is leaving
Mike is moving to Auburn to become a department chair in the school of business.
Oogway
Just to give folks a picture of the seven member board:

Place 1: Mike Nugent-term expires 2021
Place 2 Amanda Green-term expires 2021
Place 3 Michael Wesson-not running, place will be up for election
Place 4 Jeff Harris-not running, place will be up for election
Place 5 Quinn Williams-not running, place will be up for election
Place 6 Michael Schaefer-term expires 2020
Place 7 Geralyn Nolan-term expires 2020

AggieMom_38
Saw in the paper that Jeff Horak (?) filed to run for Jeff Harris' place on the board.
Agmaker
CS78 said:

Hopefully the new candidates will be willing to spill their guts on where they stand on the hot button issues. Not just a bunch of "I want to serve my community" BS.

At least to hear from the Benn and Horak would be good. No need to hear from McAdams, there's a reason she lost her re-election back to the board.
Oogway
How so? I thought she stepped down after her term due to assisting her family. Can't recall exactly, but I don't remember her running except for the one term and then stopping. I had no beef with her abilities.

Edit- never mind, I stand corrected! I looked it up since that was (for me) out of my short term memory and she did run against Schaefer and lost.
KaneIsAble
AG
Any updates that you all have seen? I haven't seen anything on WTAW/KBTX since Horak filed and today is the last day.
AggieMom_38
Apparently Jeff Harris picked up a packet, so assuming he's standing by his decision not to seek reelection, perhaps one of his buddies will file at some point today
KaneIsAble
AG
All ran unopposed. No election.
txgardengirl
Now what will we have to argue about this fall? 3 great people are running and we are blessed to have people willing to step up and serve
aggiepaintrain
AG
Yes
Agmaker
Page 1 - residency. I read above that Mr Wesson has moved out of the state for a new job. Based on this he's officially vacated the seat for the remainder of his term. Just saying.
https://pol.tasb.org/Policy/Download/224?filename=BBC(LEGAL).pdf

Also this - pg 6, no telephoning it in. Only if emergency based on state code.
They can do full "video" conference but video must be visible, both sides.
https://pol.tasb.org/Policy/Download/224?filename=BE(LEGAL).pdf
AggieMom_38
I'm pretty sure they've done some call-ins... Maybe the board/super should read the policies and then follow the rules
Agmaker
Hmm. Did Wesson resigned once they realized we all know he can't phone it in.

Also, why no continued discussion of the land acquisitions ?
Tigermom84
AG
I wonder if they're still considering land outside the city limits. That seems like a strain on city resources. No utilities yet, no sewage... does the city know about any of that? The board needs to coordinate on that more and discuss this stuff with the city before it spends $63,000 an acre for land for a new school.
Oogway
It is my impression, perhaps erroneous, that they do 'talk,' i.e. the District had land at Hollemon and Deacon back in 2015 and about that time the same year, the City sent out bids to widen Hollemon (because a school will necessitate safer wider roads). Even after the District swapped parcels to the current location of River Bend (still along Hollemon), the widening project was going to happen. Did Hollemon need widening? Probably, but just like the addition of the school complex along Greens Prairie allowed for expanding infrastructure in that area, the City planners are often in discussions with the District. In the end, I believe both entities get what they want out of it. That can be a good or bad thing, depending upon one's view and one's stake in the outcome.

As far as land purchases go, the District does have a need to stay ahead of the escalating property values, but neither they nor the CIty should stockpile land at the taxpayers expense. It is a tricky balance, that is.

Edit-grammar
PS3D
Oogway said:

It is my impression, perhaps erroneous, that they do 'talk,' i.e. the District had land at Hollemon and Deacon back in 2015 and about that time the same year, the City sent out bids to widen Hollemon (because a school will necessitate safer wider roads). Even after the District swapped parcels to the current location of River Bend (still along Hollemon), the widening project was going to happen. Did Hollemon need widening? Probably, but just like the addition of the school complex along Greens Prairie allowed for expanding infrastructure in that area, the City planners are often in discussions with the District. In the end, I believe both entities get what they want out of it. That can be a good or bad thing, depending upon one's view and one's stake in the outcome.

As far as land purchases go, the District does have a need to stay ahead of the escalating property values, but neither they nor the CIty should stockpile land at the taxpayers expense. It is a tricky balance, that is.

Edit-grammar
Even before a school was built, the traffic situation was getting worse on Holleman Drive South. Mission Ranch was proposed and getting bids, which would have placed an enormous strain on the road.
Oogway
Certainly, even though it didn't have its grand opening until this year and even earlier the Barracks community added a lot of cars as well. But the addition of a K-12 campus is a driver of road improvements to a certain extent. The home owners vote on local issues whereas most higher ed students don't make it a habit.

As a side note:

The big money projects make an impact, but if they could send a few pothole repair crews to Victoria Avenue between RP and Eagle, drivers would be grateful. Speed limit is 35, but you could lose a chihuahua in one of those holes....
Stupe
S
No election since all are unopposed.
KBTX
CS78
So what do we know about the new guys?
Stupe
S
None of them are Wesson.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.