Changes coming to CSISD

31,947 Views | 148 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Stupe
Tigermom84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hope they do. I really hope they talk. However, I asked a council member if they had an opinion on the land acquisition that the board is discussing, and they had NO idea, said nothing had been run by them at all. Maybe that's changed, because that should really factor the city's capability to deliver services to the area before the board makes a decision. I doubt the city is excited about expanding services a long distance out into the ETJfor a school only. And the roads into the ETJ aren't a city responsibility anyway, that's county. So county commish should be looped in also. A land purchase that size needs to be researched before they spend that kind of taxpayer money.
jclay
[Using the names of posters is prohibited and an automatic permanent ban -Staff]
Oogway
I don't know how far in advance they discuss parcels with the city because those deliberations are often in closed session. One of the reasons for that is to prevent land speculation, etc. However, if a council member is unaware, perhaps discussions are with a planner?

If the Board is having discussions in the workshops and regular meetings, then those are in the public domain. If a board member is talking about items discussed in closed session outside of class so to speak, then that is not a good thing for a board member to do, IMO.
CS_Aggie
After last month's CSISD Board of Trustees meeting, there were multiple news reports (WTAW, KBTX, etc.) about the specific parcel of land under consideration for purchase by the district.
Oogway
Thanks for posting that, with the start of school, I wasn't aware it was a done deal. So near Indian Lakes?
Agmaker
CSISD owns a few pieces of land already but they're contemplating a new purchase. If you don't know what land they are considering, please don't admit to the rest of us that you not willing to pay attention to the meetings or even the news. Just go to the minutes and videos of the board to learn it for your self. We're well beyond educating rookie posters on such elementary items about this topic.
cslifer
Regardless of it who he is I am curious to hear the answer to his question.
Agmaker
https://www.csisd.org/board/agendas_minutes_meeting_videos/2019_-_2020
Oogway
Agmaker said:

please don't admit to the rest of us that you not willing to pay attention to the meetings or even the news. Just go to the minutes and videos of the board to learn it for your self. We're well beyond educating rookie posters on such elementary items about this topic.
I respectfully disagree with you on this and I hope you will take it with a kindred spirit of engaging the community in informative discussions about the schools in College Station.

Any *rookie poster that is not obviously trolling for trouble and has approached TexAgs (cause they know stuff) I attempt to give the benefit of the doubt. You are correct that the news and the CSISD website have information, but not all community members are coming from the same place same situation. We are all unique and communication comes in many forms and preferences so posting a quick recap (the topic has changed from the first page and right or wrong it is rare for users to read an entire thread) or a link (like you did above) is very helpful and in the spirit of the Aggieland board.

After all, there are parents in this community who probably cannot name a single member of our school board, or even take the time to vote for one. It would not surprise me if a parent's child walking across the stage at graduation and shaking hands is the first time that parent has even paid much attention to the school board at all....unless, something has happened to cause the parent to notice the governance behind the scenes that keeps schools operational. Things like boundary adjustment or rising taxes, etc. Parents have come to TexAgs going back many years to discuss those topics and discussion is a good thing!

There have been posters who have been pretty honest that they weren't paying much attention (until the hs rezoning) but are now active and involved with the schools beyond whichever campus their child(ren) attend. While it is indeed sad that the whole negative situation with the Board was what drew them forward, going forward those parents will be diligent and thoughtful providers of commentary and perspective. So, kudos to them for rolling up their sleeves and getting to work.

Life happens to all of us, and our interests and focus are sometimes drawn elsewhere due to circumstances so I advocate educating all who come here with good intentions. After all, I learn a lot from many of you and I hope I can pay that forward someday.

*I saw that post upthread earlier in the day and am glad the moderators took care of it.
Stupe
S
Well said.
That post should get a blue star by everyone that reads it.

You and I often disagree about things, but being polite is not difficult.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.