City Council Runoff

6,743 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Drilltime
justcallmeharry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
carpe vinum said:

I cannot believe that moron won again.
Who won? Do you mean Maloney won the runoff today?

ETA: This is absolutely all the information I can find.

Stupe
S
That is a pathetic turn out.
justcallmeharry
S
Stupe said:

That is a pathetic turn out.
This seems to be the final count except for mail in and provisional ballots.

Can this be right? Out of more than fifty thousand eligible voters?
ETA: From WTAW website:

http://wtaw.com/2018/12/11/dennis-maloney-wins-college-station-city-council-runoff/

"Dennis Maloney Wins College Station City Council Runoff

Final unofficial total in the College Station city council runoff election:

Dennis Maloney 1225

Elizabeth Cunha 852

Canvassing and the swearing in ceremony will take place on December 19.
Early voting totals from the Brazos County elections office:
Dennis Maloney: 696
Elizabeth Cunha: 511
One person participated in early voting but did not choose a candidate."

This is a 3 year term.

ScienceGal86
Hmmm... I thought we studied history so the same mistakes would not be made in the future. Guess that didn't hold true tonight. You get what (or who) you vote for. Good luck CS.
BCS-Ag
Neither candidate really ran much of a campaign, which depressed the turnout even further. Unfortunately, this worked in Maloney's favor, as he appeals to the retired nimbys that always vote en masse.
biobioprof
sigh.
Oogway
Ms Cunha,

Please try again when there is an opening on the council. I liked your platform and would support you if you ran again.
isitjustme
AG
BCS-Ag said:

Neither candidate really ran much of a campaign, which depressed the turnout even further. Unfortunately, this worked in Maloney's favor, as he appeals to the retired nimbys that always vote en masse.
I agree, but I think a big reason there wasn't a lot of campaigning was due to 41's passing and related events. Rightfully so, those events dominated the local news from right before early voting until Election Day. Whether the candidates didn't campaign as much out of respect or because they knew voters' attention was elsewhere, or if they tried to campaign and their messages just got lost, it was not a favorable mix for a local election turnout. Throw in thanksgiving 2 weeks earlier and I think most voters just checked out.
Drilltime
The election is over and the Council is water under the bridge. It is now balanced. They agree on about 85% of all decisions to start with. But based on their voting records on the other 15% you would probably say 3 are pro neighborhood, 3 pro development, and one neutral. Nobody is actually anti-neighborhood or anti-development. It's a matter of degrees. I think the balance is good at this point in time, particularly with the 10yr Comprehensive Plan being updated next year.

But Council aside, there are other important positions open. If you know Elizabeth, please encourage her to run for Planning and Zoning. She needs this experience. .
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.