City Council Runoff

6,642 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Drilltime
KidDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So apparently there is a runoff election for COCS City Council. I had no idea!

It is:

http://cstx.gov/index.aspx?page=2791

Dennis Maloney vs Elizabeth Cunha

Here is an Eagle piece on Dennis:
https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/place-candidate-dennis-maloney-time-to-fix-city-charter-tax/article_e8848f6f-c684-51b0-ad27-61ae093f86cd.html

My take on Dennis from that piece: He wants to lower taxes (freezing tax rate when you buy a home) but at the same time spend more tax dollars (museum/Wolf Creek improvements).
Not sure how that is possible but there you have it.

Eagle piece on Elizabeth:
https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/place-candidate-elizabeth-cunha-i-ll-reach-out-to-keep/article_4409417f-b4db-5613-b82a-d940e037211f.html

Not too much in that article that strikes me other than bicycle path improvements- they don't specify if that means dedicated trials like the Lick Creek greenway or bike lanes. Other than that she mostly talks about improving communication between the council and residents.

So I'm not sure who I will vote for, leaning towards Cunha due to the fact that Dennis' plans don't really add it with lowering taxes while spending more tax dollars.

(this is what happens when I get to work early and get all my paperwork and phone calls done!)
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
I don't know Elizabeth Cunha but Dennis Maloney is one of the most abrasive people ever. Plus, he's been on council several times before. Might as well bring back Lord Crompton.
UmustBKidding
I do know Elizabeth and have lived through Maloney's tenure as a victim/resident of COCS. Elizabeth is not rich, fancy or flashy but a hard working, kind, family oriented person who knows what its like to have to live on a budget. When life throws her a curve and needs exceed resources she has been known to drive a school bus to help cover those needs instead of putting it on credit and deal with it later. If she could bring any of that discipline to the council it would be a great thing.
I have voted, and now you know who an why I did.
Stupe
S
Maloney was on the council when Wellborn was annexed.

Yet, this is the quote on his web page:

Quote:

"I believe now is the time to reverse the development-at-all-costs direction of growth and instead consider the best interests of those who have already invested in our neighborhoods and businesses."

We wouldn't have to reverse it if he and his cronies hadn't been allowing and / or forcing it.
carpe vinum
AG
I don't know what Cunha will do, but I know Maloney is full of crap.
momlaw
AG
My recollections are this statement is mostly if not completely true,

"We know plenty of negative things on her opponent <Maloney> who brought us the Chimney Hill fiasco (over $2 million cost to taxpayers). He was personally named in the Walmart lawsuit that cost the city $3.5million dollars."
momlaw
Rexter
Dennis Baloney needs to move along.
Stupe
S
If he was involved in keeping Wal Mart away from that corner and in an already existing building, that's a plus in my book.
cslifer
Yep, wasting millions in taxpayer dollars is definitely a plus. That isn't even taking into account that now that corner is occupied by a non profit hospital that will never pay taxes like Walmart would have. The pluses on that decision keep adding up!
Oogway
Quote:

"Weingarten sued the four council members who voted against it -- then-Mayor Ron Silvia, Ben White, Lynn McIlhaney and David Ruesink -- in federal court, saying the defendants violated the developer's rights of equal protection and due process. Councilman Dennis Maloney and Planning Commissioner Hugh Stearns also were named in the suit because both spoke at public hearings on the rezoning, though neither were serving the city at the time."
(Eagle)

Although I am leaning towards Cunha, and my memory of the details of the whole Weingarten/Walmart real estate deal are fuzzy, what specifically was Maloney's involvement beyond speaking at the rezoning meeting? Was it during one of his tenures on the council? Planning board? There were over 500 people who spoke at those public hearings protesting the relocation of Walmart (per the Eagle) and I remember that. There was also a concern that the former site would become an empty shell and sit vacant either due to a real estate clause (like what HEB does to inhibit competition) or the limited use for windowless big box retail centers (that was what the TAMU Real Estate study was about).

Stupe
S
Wal-Mart not going there
  • We have a great hospital that isn't in constant thread of getting sold / closed in College Station instead of having to go St. Joseph if someone is admitted. With the growth south, that was sorely needed.
  • There is not a giant mess of traffic at that intersection like there would have been had it been all retail.
  • The existing Wal-Mart expanded and it improved the former grocery store....which is now a business. Both of those would have been huge, empty shells for years.

If I remember correctly, Weingarten was trying to push all of the rezoning through in order to bypass public hearings and were stopped. Which is what lead to the lawsuit.

Yes, them losing was a plus.
cslifer
Responding point by point.
-s&w is a good hospital but let's not go overboard. Of course the med is always "for sale", as is every other hospital, see st joes. The only people who think it is closing are people on this an other internet boards, it isn't.
-traffic isn't bad now, but give it time, once that area builds out the trip counts will be the same or more.
-nobody has a crystal ball to say what would have happened to that building. I will say I seriously doubt Walmart staying where it is had anything to do with the trampoline park opening.
Just because people may be happy with the results doesn't mean it was handled correctly. The developer sued because of the councils actions, not because they were trying to pull a fast one. We as taxpayers paid a lot of money for those actions.
So we end up with a result where people are happy with the result, but has cost us all a ton of money.
Speaking of Maloney, I may be wrong but wasn't he part of the group that got in trouble over open meeting stuff?

[We have cleaned up the side argument in order to keep this thread on topic. -Staff]
duffelpud
AG
Baloney was on the radio yesterday waxing on what a great opportunity the internment of '41 would be for economic development of the city.
"What's this button do?"
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Edited to post old news story from 2009 in reference to Dennis Malone y.

http://brazoslawyers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Campaign-flier-attacks-CS-candidate-The-Eagle_-Local-News.pdf
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
momlaw
AG
I early voted this afternoon.
Turnout has been paltry.
Typically that is a bad thing for the less politically (not previously elected) astute/connected candidate.

Hate to see this position filled by the votes of few who have personal skin in the single issue game.

momlaw
biobioprof
duffelpud said:

Baloney was on the radio yesterday waxing on what a great opportunity the internment of '41 would be for economic development of the city.
interment is not the same as internment.
justcallmeharry
S
pepe the dog said:

http://brazoslawyers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Campaign-flier-attacks-CS-candidate-The-Eagle_-Local-News.pdf
https://brazoslawyers.com/

I cannot find it on the attorneys' web site. Actually the web site does not seem political at all, I am surprised they posted that for Gay.

Oh well, live and learn.
TxSquarebody
Freezing the tax rate. Oldest trick in the book to buy votes. The work around, and part nobody talks about, is the rapid increase in assessed value to increase tax revenue. I don't trust Maloney one bit.
Floor it until you see God
summergal
Cunha is no nonsense, straight up, what you see is what you get kind of person. I have known her for 20 years. She is what this council needs. Her values will NEVER waiver. She is moral and has no other agenda, but to see that the City of College Station is moving in the right direction. I am not voting for her because she is an acquaintance, but because I know of her capabilities.
Oogway
justcallmeharry said:

pepe the dog said:

https://brazoslawyers.com/

I cannot find it on the attorneys' web site. Actually the web site does not seem political at all, I am surprised they posted that for Gay.

Oh well, live and learn.

It gets even weirder when you remember that Mr. Gay was on the council when its members were charged with violating the Open Meetings Act during former DA Bill Turner's presiding over that office. Gay wanted to fire then City manager (Bryner?) IIRC.

Some major dueling going on behind the scenes in the sandboxes.

Edit to add manager name, I didn't look it up, but I think that is correct.
Stupe
S
momlaw said:

Turnout has been paltry.
Typically that is a bad thing for the less politically (not previously elected) astute/connected candidate.

Hate to see this position filled by the votes of few who have personal skin in the single issue game.

When I went, there weren't many stickers on the sheet, unfortunately. People complain about decisions made by the city council and then don't go do something as simple as pushing a button.
taxpreparer
AG
TxSquarebody said:

Freezing the tax rate. Oldest trick in the book to buy votes. The work around, and part nobody talks about, is the rapid increase in assessed value to increase tax revenue. I don't trust Maloney one bit.

Yes, and it is backwards; freeze the valuation at purchase, then the ELECTED officials can determine the tax rate. Voters can hold the elected officials accountable, but the unelected assessor gets off untouched.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
threecatcorner
Early voting might've had low turnout, but there's still the actual election day on Tuesday.
KidDoc
AG
Stupe said:

momlaw said:

Turnout has been paltry.

When I went, there weren't many stickers on the sheet, unfortunately. People complain about decisions made by the city council and then don't go do something as simple as pushing a button.
Yeah my wife and I made sure to vote as this is one of the rare cases were individual votes really do matter. On the WTAW story I saw on my facebook feed last week about this election there were fewer than 600 total votes cast.

They are reporting <2% turnout as of Friday.

http://wtaw.com/2018/12/07/friday-is-the-last-day-of-early-voting-in-the-college-station-city-council-runoff-election/

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgBQ80
AG
I have known Elizabeth Cunha as she has worked with my wife at AMCHS for many years. Elizabeth is one of the hardest working individuals I have ever been around. She has extremely high values and will not shy away from upholding them. I firmly believe she would make what's best for the city of College Station a top priority, just as she has done for church and family. She is willing to listen to the legitimate concerns of the residents of this community and be a voice for them.... something sorely needed on the council in my opinion. If you want someone who will truly listen, and not just push their own agenda, I highly recommend you vote for Elizabeth Cunha for College Station City Council - Place 6.
jakeaggie84
AG
I have Known the Cunha family my whole life. Her husband was my science teacher in middle school at Oakwood! Great family. I know Elizabeth will take her work ethic and budget skills to the city council where new blood is needed! If you feel the same way, get the word out.

https://www.cunhaforcitycouncil.com
Liam
AG
I've also known Elizabeth and her family for many years. They are a fantastic family of the highest integrity. She would be tremendously good for our future as a decision-maker and influencer on the City Council. She has my vote.

UmustBKidding
Today is election day in College Station. If you every wanted to vote and know your vote really counts today is the day. Polls open until 7pm.
Your options include more of the same, or someone completely different.
I think its really worth the effort to let the current leadership know what your desire is for the future of College Station.
Vote!
Oogway
People weren't exactly beating the doors down when I went this morning.
AgDotCom
pepe the dog said:

Ahh yes, the good ol' days....

dave99ag
AG
threecatcorner
There are only 3 voting locations today: city hall, csisd admin, and Christ United Methodist.
biobioprof
threecatcorner said:

There are only 3 voting locations today: city hall, csisd admin, and Christ United Methodist.
voted at City Hall around 1ish. I might have been the only one there and my sticker was the only one on the page.
threecatcorner
They've started at least a third page then. I voted this morning after dropping my son off at school, and they were just finishing the first page and about to start a second page (10 to a page).
carpe vinum
AG
I cannot believe that moron won again.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.