Humming birds are back!

29,039 Views | 181 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by classicdoug
Oogway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought I heard one in the trees today when I was outside, but since the mosquitoes have been as big as hummingbirds lately, those nasty biting critters may be trying to lure me outside with fake calls so they can feast. I have kept one feeder filled since I took the spares down in hopes of spying one so I'll keep an eye out.
tmaggies
AG
US Fish and Wildlife and the FDA say there is no evidence food coloring is harmful to the hummers but fermented sugar water can be and should be cleaned out twice a week.
BMo
The thing about food coloring, it's not necessary to attract whether harmful or not. An extra step in the process.

I have a male and female that it appears will summer with me again so I have two small feeders out and change the water often. Young house finches seem attracted by the feeders as well. I suppose they get the "nectar" using their tongues.
Oogway
We have a downy woodpecker that enjoys it as well, but the feeder is small and it is rather amusing to watch him figure out how to gain access.
BMo
Have 10-12 birds back as of Friday. I have had 3 through the summer. This evening I had a rufous show up and this ruby-throat took exception.

Oogway
As always, your photos are spectacular!

I've had two buzzing about but have yet to see the large numbers I had last fall. I hope to witness more soon.
EBrazosAg
AG
Numbers definitely on way up at my feeder in last week. That Rufous will kick that Ruby's rear, btw. They are the bullies of the feeder.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BMo
Oogway said:

As always, your photos are spectacular!

I've had two buzzing about but have yet to see the large numbers I had last fall. I hope to witness more soon.
Thanks for the comment. I think it is time to start buying the 10 lb bags of sugar soon. Migration is near.
BMo
EBrazosAg said:

Numbers definitely on way up at my feeder in last week. That Rufous will kick that Ruby's rear, btw. They are the bullies of the feeder.
I hope the rufous hangs around for a few days. I've only every seen one at a time here and normally they don't stay.
EBrazosAg
AG
BMo said:

EBrazosAg said:

I hope the rufous hangs around for a few days. I've only every seen one at a time here and normally they don't stay.

Had a male stay into December or early January back in '99. Only one I've had in Brazos Co. There is a population of them that winter on the gulf coast. Hardy hummingbirds for sure.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
labmansid
I've had one male that has hung around all summer, with maybe another show up occasionally. The past 2-3 weeks there has been at least 4, mostly females, coming around regularly.

The male that has stayed over the summer.

A female that has been coming around lately.

BMo

KidDoc
AG
Ok I'm putting my feeders out tomorrow. I've had no luck this year in Pebnle Creek after having a good crowd last year.
KidDoc
AG
I put up a few feeders this afternoon while smoking ribs and already had a visitor! No pictures yet but I'll try to get some.
BMo
KidDoc said:

I put up a few feeders this afternoon while smoking ribs and already had a visitor! No pictures yet but I'll try to get some.
Good deal! Sounds like we both thought ribs were a good idea this weekend. I can run up the shutter count as high as I like right now. I do believe we are in the beginning stages of migration. By the time mid October hits I'll be tired of filling feeders.

TLIAC
AG
I have seen my first few hummingbirds also. I put up a feeder Sunday - they were buzzing me yesterday when I was working in the yard.
BMo
At least 20 birds in the yard the past two days. Welcome fall migration 2019.

MsDoubleD81
AG
I have several in my yard the past couple weeks. There are 2 who are trying to dominate the feeders.
How long will they be around?
TRIPLE 7
AG
Spray feeders with Pam to keep bees away!
BMo
Female ruby-throat on Turk's Cap.

BMo
Had a male with leucistic characteristics show up yesterday. Saw it several times but have not seen it today.

turfman80
AG
So far, this has been the lightest hummingbird season since we started putting out feeders 30 years ago. I am hoping the next front starts bringing in a good wave.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
BMo
turfman80 said:

So far, this has been the lightest hummingbird season since we started putting out feeders 30 years ago. I am hoping the next front starts bringing in a good wave.
Definitely a different season for sure. I had very short times of 60-70 but they didn't hang around very long in those groups like in years past. I still have 2 or 3 hanging around but that is it.

Parting shot.

Oogway
Wonderful photo, BMo. Is that a Pride of Barbados from which the hummer is sipping? Beautiful plants. So festive.

I had a lot of hummingbirds, too but it was different from the past season- they showed up late, and then I had loads and loads and then poof! Still have one, maybe two, sipping on the flowers and a feeder. Amazing little creatures.
BMo
Oogway said:

Wonderful photo, BMo. Is that a Pride of Barbados from which the hummer is sipping? Beautiful plants. So festive.

I had a lot of hummingbirds, too but it was different from the past season- they showed up late, and then I had loads and loads and then poof! Still have one, maybe two, sipping on the flowers and a feeder. Amazing little creatures.
Thank you. Yes, Pride of Barbados in a pot for now as I don't know yet where to plant in my yard.
maddiedou
AG
I had for about three weeks alot of hummingbirds i was filling three feeders in morning and night but not now they have all moved on

Indian lakes area
maddiedou
BMo
There were still decent numbers at Lick Creek Park last Saturday though they appeared to be primarily immature or female. The mature males have moved on.

Turk's Cap around the visitor center.

TLIAC
AG
The last few I had have moved on since the cold front. I'm going to miss watching them.
BMo
I have had a winter visitor from the US west coast. Anna's hummingbird, immature male.

turfman80
AG
Nice!!
turfman80
AG
I thought this is a good time to bump this! I put out our feeder Thursday since hummingbirds should be moving back through the area headed north. We saw the first one on our coral honeysuckle trellis Friday and on the feeder yesterday.
BMo
The Anna's hummingbird pictured above ended up staying for 2 months leaving the Sunday before Christmas. I have seen a couple so far this year and have had a feeder out since late February. Should be soon.

A shot of the Anna's right before it left.

TLIAC
AG
turfman80 said:

I thought this is a good time to bump this! I put out our feeder Thursday since hummingbirds should be moving back through the area headed north. We saw the first one on our coral honeysuckle trellis Friday and on the feeder yesterday.
I put my feeder out yesterday as well.
KidDoc
AG
I put mine out today but no sightings yet, will try to get some shots! Love these silly birds.
ComfortAg
AG
Put the feeder out one week ago since there were sightings in S Texas, and had one show up two days ago.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.