Humming birds are back!

29,006 Views | 181 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by classicdoug
turfman80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, it looks like we again missed the massive wave migration of hummingbirds this fall. A few years back we were refilling feeders several times a day as hundreds of hummers buzzed around the feeders. This fall, there have been 10 to 12 at most. Right now, about 5 are hanging around. Has anyone experienced a large number headed south this fall?
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
EBrazosAg
AG
You missed peak about 7-6 days ago. I was going through 6 cups a day. Now down to 1 cup.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BMo
It has been a couple of weeks since we had 50+ a day and it was for fewer days than normal this year. One thing I've learned with birds is things change. Still have a few coming, maybe 10-12 but have seen no adult males in the past few days. There were numerous sitings of rufous hummingbirds in the county this year as well. I had several.

BMo
I had another rufous hummingbird show up yesterday. Unexpected and stayed all day. Will see if he shows today.

ag009
AG
Had 20-25 during peak going through a quart or two a day. Looks like the majority have moved on. Until next time.
labmansid
I still have one or two hanging around. Wondering if they will be gone by the end of the week. Some shots from this morning.

EBrazosAg
AG
Had a Rufous male show up in 98 at my feeder. Stayed all winter. Haven't had one since. Great pics.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BMo
Another out of its range hummingbird. Broad-tailed.

EBrazosAg
AG
I've got a Rufous!!! Now for a pic.... first one in 20 years ... at least first one I've seen since I had one overwinter in 98.
BMo
EBrazosAg said:

I've got a Rufous!!! Now for a pic.... first one in 20 years ... at least first one I've seen since I had one overwinter in 98.
Good luck to you getting a photo and congrats on the sighting.

This year has been unusual for rufous sightings. I have had at least 8 different ones at my place with some staying several days. I know of someone that has one that has been at their house for almost 30 days. This was last week.

BMo
I had a Anna's hummingbird show up yesterday evening. A female.

Tibbers
BMo
Many of my plants were damaged like everyone else's but the scarlet honeysuckle is coming back strong. They're back!

Tailgate88
AG
I put our feeder this past weekend but haven't seen any Hummers yet. Anyone else in South CS have any?
Aggies76
AG
I saw a male ruby-throated a couple of weeks ago but none since.
chrisag09
AG
Is this in B/CS?
BMo
chrisag09 said:

Is this in B/CS?
Out in the county. I've seen/heard a number of reports of sightings in town and in the county.
Tailgate88
AG
Happy Easter! Just had the first Hummer of the year show up at our feeder. (S)he was thirsty! Hope her friends are following soon.
labmansid
I've been seeing at least a couple around for the past three weeks or so. Got out and took some pics earlier today. They sure love the new salvias.

BaitShack
AG
I like how well their landing gear retracts and fades into their body.
Mustang02
AG
The hummingbirds here in Copperfield are thirsty. First I've seen. Of course, I just put the feeder up last week. Two ruby-throated females.
ag009
AG
First one spotted in west bryan. Getting feeders out tonight!
BMo
Tailgate88
AG
Great pics! My wife's Salvia is just about to bloom and the Hummers love it. We've got fairly steady traffic hitting our feeder now - nothing like major migration numbers but quite a few!
BMo
Organic feeding hummingbirds, no feeders for these pollen faces.

UhOhNoAgTag
Any suggestions on how to get rid of honeybees that are taking over the feeders?
EBrazosAg
AG
I had same problem when it was out away from my house in full sun. Moved it back under eaves of house and they all left. Don't have a clue why.
UhOhNoAgTag
Thanks, I'll try that!
EBrazosAg
AG
Anyone getting what seems like a early migratory increase at feeders ?
BMo
EBrazosAg said:

Anyone getting what seems like a early migratory increase at feeders ?
My count increased over the weekend.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Yes! And I have one that perches in the tree near my bedroom window.
Tailgate88
AG
We have an uptick in the past few days. Has just been one or two what we assumed were residents but all of a sudden we have the divebombing competition happening and 3-4 at a time. Maybe early migration?
BMo
Tailgate88 said:

We have an uptick in the past few days. Has just been one or two what we assumed were residents but all of a sudden we have the divebombing competition happening and 3-4 at a time. Maybe early migration?
I don't think it's early. We are near September and I always see an uptick about now. Getting busier and I sat out back for about an hour and a half this evening and shot over 200 photos.
birdman
Birds are right on schedule.

Some are migrants. You are also seeing young birds that have recently started leaving the nest.
turfman80
AG
Have about 10 now fighting over the feeder.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.