Best place for fried fish, or for any other fried seafood?

4,915 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggiePhil
eloc62
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Love me some good fried fish or any other fried seafood, for that matter. Can't wait for this Mo's fish and chip place to open. Who has the best fried seafood in town, fresh water fish included? shrimp, oysters, calamari...etc If you say Red Lobster, it doesn't count. Please, don't anybody say Red Lobster.
studioone
sorry.. but your only real option is fish daddys or the boat...

i wish we had raw oysters, clams, etc... periwinkles, octopus, sea cucumbers, dungeoness crabs, tuna, sardines (the real ones not from a can)... anchovies (real ones, not from a can)...

raw, fried, steamed, baked, broiled... doenst matter.. just wish we had more. Non frozen, not a month old or so...

and cajun anything doesnt count...
CS78
Had the best fried oysters I've ever had in Somerville the other day. Didn't care for their crawfish.

Texas Seafood & Steakhouse
18090 TX-36, Somerville, TX 77879
(979) 596-1100

https://goo.gl/maps/TP3Jo8oQLDL2

Fried fish at OMG seafood and remnant of nawlins are both really good and reasonably priced. They both say catfish but no nasty tasting grey fat left on the meat means more likely tilapia. Either way, it's good.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Wings N More deacon/texas has the best catfish I've ever had.
armymom
I like the fried catfish at Cracker Barrel and Willie' s Grill & Icehouse.
jello123
Texas Steak and Seafood in Somerville get my vote. I love the 30 fried shrimp (Jumbo) with salad and fries for 2. $29.99. Also their blackened catfish and shrimp platter is a fav. https://www.zmenu.com/texas-seafood-and-steak-house-somerville-online-menu/
barbara314tx
Willie's has some good catfish, have heard that OMG Seafood is good too
FlyRod
Best fried fish I had here, hands down, was Butler's...which sadly, is closed.
FlyRod
Quote:

i wish we had raw oysters, clams, etc... periwinkles, octopus, sea cucumbers, dungeoness crabs, tuna, sardines (the real ones not from a can)... anchovies (real ones, not from a can)...

Veritas has some of these things (and others) pretty regularly. Farm Patch used to carry the kind of anchovies you are thinking about...ask Scarmardo about carrying them again.
halibut sinclair
Lamar & Niki's

Feed Barn

BCS Fish and Ribs

Shannon's

Remnant
ChampsAg
MBeaux's has great real catfish.

Frank's Country Store has catfish on Friday nights

I've heard that OMG is decent

Readfield has catfish filets on sale
CoachLB
I was born and raised in southeast Texas. My dad and his family are from Louisiana. I love fried catfish etc. On a trip to College Station my wife wanted to try Fish Daddys. I was surprised how good their catfish and red beans and rice was. Pretty good for a chain place.
biobioprof
studioone said:

raw, fried, steamed, baked, broiled... doenst matter.. just wish we had more. Non frozen, not a month old or so...

Sea cucumber? I've had more than enough to last a lifetime.

Yes to everything else.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I think Fish Daddy's is actually a pretty underrated spot.

The seafood while not amazing by any means is decent and its a great bang for your buck. Fish Daddy's also has some of the best queso in town believe it or not imho.
australopithecus robustus
Best Queso is La Bodega hands down.

For fresh seafood I'd say veritas, Cafe Eccell, la Bodega.
studioone
biobioprof said:

studioone said:

Sea cucumber? I've had more than enough to last a lifetime.

Yes to everything else.
there's a place called Kim Son in Houston that has a soup that has cucumbers in it.... the moving kind... love it...

and i eat in places that i get stared at cause im not chinese... the menues are all in mandarine, and it's cash only.... have to bring a chinese friend to translate dishes..

AggiePhil
AG
Fish Daddy's isn't a chain.
CoachLB
Ok. Good catfish and red beans and rice for a place that doesn't look like the mom and pop places in southeast Texas or Louisiana that has the best catfish etc. Fishdaddys while very good looks like a chain.
Tex Aggie
AG
Drive to new Baden on Friday night for fish
hopeandrealchange
My house!
FlyRod
Veritas and Republic are the only places i will eat non fried seafood at, because, well, tilapia and imported catfish and shrimp really, really suck, and that's pretty much what every other place in town serves.

Fried catfish? Your best bet are the soul food places, because the overall quality is generally good. Specifically Remnant, Shannon's, likely Lamar and Nikki's, and this new joint in Hearne Oxtails, which looks pretty good.
halibut sinclair
NellCote71
AggiePhil said:

Fish Daddy's isn't a chain.
Yes, it most definitely is a chain. Google is your friend.
australopithecus robustus
The blackened voodoo salmon and the coriander crusted ahi tuna at Cafe Eccell are outstanding, and fresh of course. I also like their ahi tuna martini
AggiePhil
AG
I believe there are two locations but it is not a chain.
CoachLB
I just googled and it says Cheddars owns Fish Daddys. To me that says it is a chain.
momlaw
AG
I believe Fish Daddy's and Cheddars are locally owned franchises of nationwide chains. Same family owns both of here.
momlaw
CoachLB
Thanks. My first post compared Fish Daddy's catfish and red beans and rice to the mom and pop places in southeast Texas and Louisiana. I then said it was very good for a chain. I did mean that as a bad thing. The whole point was that it is really good and I like it. The type of food you usually get at a mom and pop type of place.
ro828
Chicken Express in downtown Bryan has very good catfish.
FlyRod
Just re read the "other fried seafood" part of the OP. The Republic's chicken fried oysters are allsome.
Kitten With A Whip
Quote:

BCS Fish and Ribs

Can someone tell us a little more about this place?
CactusThomas
AG
Those Texas shrimp appetizer at the Republic is the best fried shrimp in town.
halibut sinclair
Kitten With A Whip said:

Quote:

BCS Fish and Ribs

Can someone tell us a little more about this place?
What do you want to know?
Kitten With A Whip
I've never heard of it. I looked it up, so I know where it is, but is it a to-go place or is it dine in, as well? Any other offerings? It looked like a grocery store or something. Not that it bothers me. Good food can be found pretty much anywhere! Just curious and looking for info.
war hymn aggie
AG
Fish Daddy's & Cotton Patch are my 2 favorites for catfish.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.