CEO Communications and fiber optic?

13,667 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by labmansid
deh40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Like clockwork, it rained and CEO fiber went down.
Expert Analysis
AG
howapi said:

I called CEO last Thursday and was told they are still testing the lines. When done they need to go through, "a couple more processing steps" before they start installing in houses at the end of the month.

Depends where you live. They have multiple projects going on around town with fiber. People already have it operational at some locations, thus this thread because every time it raise it goes out... Looks like the crappy installation they did may haunt them. I think they will continue to have issues at individual homes forever due to installing the line about an inch below the surface....
howapi
AG
That's one of my concerns also. The fiber started poking out of the ground in my yard in a few places 2 weeks after they dug it.

Interesting how I'm getting told such a different date than others here in Duck Haven
kyledr04
AG
They told me they needed to order parts and it would be 2-3 weeks before mine is on.
75AG
AG
Any updates?
kyledr04
AG
Fiber is online today! Average 175 mbps with wired connection. Seen peaks in the 190s. Wifi varies from 40 to 140 depending on device.
samsal75
AG
kyledr04 said:

Fiber is online today! Average 175 mbps with wired connection. Seen peaks in the 190s. Wifi varies from 40 to 140 depending on device.

Beats my 5 mbps/.8 mbps that I get from Frontier!!
lol
75AG
AG
They were out Friday to check the signal (the light?). And something was missing from the main cable buried in the back of my property. So, they have to pull the cable, see which end is missing the doodad, and will try to get us scheduled ASAP. I'm sure it's frustrating for them, too.
kyledr04
AG
I think they had the same problem on our main branch as well. They dug it up last week.
UmustBKidding
Depending on where you are at they can do better. Within 5000 of the wellborn rsu they can do bonded adsl and 18-24Mbps
KaneIsAble
AG
Do all streets in Duck Haven have the fiber now?
kyledr04
AG
I think they put it in on all the streets but they're still connecting each house. It connects through Saddle Creek so I think they're bringing our neighborhood up back to front. But others are already on too so it seems kinda random.
75AG
AG
They were working like crazy yesterday on Drake Lane. Pulling cable. Maybe they're getting close. Chase? Any updates?
kyledr04
AG
Unfortunately what is true for Saddle Creek is true for Duck Haven, the fiber does not work when I rains. Numerous short outages.
75AG
AG
kyledr04 said:

Unfortunately what is true for Saddle Creek is true for Duck Haven, the fiber does not work when I rains. Numerous short outages.

Have you been given a reason why?
kyledr04
AG
Going to call tomorrow.
75AG
AG
Lots of activity out here in the Haven. CEO trucks on our street. Cable laying out on our property. Must be something happening!
KaneIsAble
AG
Called about service on Tuesday to see what's available out there.
75AG
AG
KaneIsAble said:

And?
viejo
Got a friend in a neighborhood that is getting CEO fiber.....told him about what I read on here. Have things improved for those of you that have it? Given what you've been through, and assuming you'd get it again if you had to do it over, would you wait until they work out the bugs, or go ahead and get it right off the bat?
kyledr04
AG
I would definitely still get it. So much better than before. They'll sort the bugs out.
kyledr04
AG
And it's super fast.
deh40
AG
I have the 100 mbps plan. Usually get close to that on wired device. Wireless device is inconsistent, anywhere from 35 to 70. And it still goes out every time it rains. Overall it still beats satellite we had before for about the same price (excluding installation cost).
KaneIsAble
AG
75AG said:

KaneIsAble said:

And?

They haven't called back yet.
Expert Analysis
AG
deh40 said:

I have the 100 mbps plan. Usually get close to that on wired device. Wireless device is inconsistent, anywhere from 35 to 70. And it still goes out every time it rains. Overall it still beats satellite we had before for about the same price (excluding installation cost).

How is wireless so much less and inconsistent? Are they using a crap router?
Expert Analysis
AG
kyledr04 said:

They'll sort the bugs out.

What gives you any confidence in this?
deh40
AG
Expert Analysis said:

deh40 said:

How is wireless so much less and inconsistent? Are they using a crap router?
No clue
Average Joe
AG
deh40 said:

The wireless in your house has everything to do with your devices and not your internet. Your router, reception to the router, wireless ininterference, and the wireless cards in your devices are all factors that determine that speed.

I don't have any facts or inside knowledge, but I imagine the reason for rain causing it drop has to do with the backbone into the neighborhood. Laying fiber into the neighborhood is one thing, but having to deal with txdot, the city, and Union Pacific can make it take a while to get a permanent backbone to the neighborhood. They will get it.
deh40
AG
Average Joe said:

deh40 said:

BI have the 100 mbps plan. Usually get close to that on wired device. Wireless device is inconsistent, anywhere from 35 to 70. And it still goes out every time it rains. Overall it still beats satellite we had before for about the same price (excluding installation cost).

The wireless in your house has everything to do with your devices and not your internet. Your router, reception to the router, wireless ininterference, and the wireless cards in your devices are all factors that determine that speed.

I don't have any facts or inside knowledge, but I imagine the reason for rain causing it drop has to do with the backbone into the neighborhood. Laying fiber into the neighborhood is one thing, but having to deal with txdot, the city, and Union Pacific can make it take a while to get a permanent backbone to the neighborhood. They will get it
If the drop was consistent I could see what you are saying, but I am using the same iPad sitting within feet of the router. Not different devices and not moving around the house as to create interference. The reception to the router is through the cable CEO installed.

They claim the issue with going out in the rain is because people leave vaults open.
75AG
AG
I have cable laying all over my lot, and y'all are arguing about speeds.
Average Joe
AG
deh40 said:

Average Joe said:

deh40 said:

BI have the 100 mbps plan. Usually get close to that on wired device. Wireless device is inconsistent, anywhere from 35 to 70. And it still goes out every time it rains. Overall it still beats satellite we had before for about the same price (excluding installation cost).

I don't have any facts or inside knowledge, but I imagine the reason for rain causing it drop has to do with the backbone into the neighborhood. Laying fiber into the neighborhood is one thing, but having to deal with txdot, the city, and Union Pacific can make it take a while to get a permanent backbone to the neighborhood. They will get it
If the drop was consistent I could see what you are saying, but I am using the same iPad sitting within feet of the router. Not different devices and not moving around the house as to create interference. The reception to the router is through the cable CEO installed.

They claim the issue with going out in the rain is because people leave vaults open.

If you get a consistent speed on wired devices, but an inconsistent, lower speed on wireless then it is definitely a problem with the router or the device you are on. The iPad you are on may have an older wireless card that can't pull 100 mbps, or your router may not be able to push that much. However, if you are not having the same problem with a wired device then it is definitely not the internet connection coming in.
deh40
AG
Average Joe said:

deh40 said:

Average Joe said:

deh40 said:

BBI have the 100 mbps plan. Usually get close to that on wired device. Wireless device is inconsistent, anywhere from 35 to 70. And it still goes out every time it rains. Overall it still beats satellite we had before for about the same price (excluding installation cost).

If you get a consistent speed on wired devices, but an inconsistent, lower speed on wireless then it is definitely a problem with the router or the device you are on. The iPad you are on may have an older wireless card that can't pull 100 mbps, or your router may not be able to push that much. However, if you are not having the same problem with a wired device then it is definitely not the internet connection coming in.
I'm by no means an electronic expert but according to the specs the router is easily capable of pushing that. I don't know what the wireless card in the iPad is capable of pulling, but I don't see why that would explain the inconsistencies. If it can't pull 100, it seems like it would be at a consistent speed somewhere below that.

Not really worried about it since it is more than twice what we got on satellite even at its slowest.
Average Joe
AG
deh40 said:

Average Joe said:

deh40 said:

Average Joe said:

deh40 said:

BBI have the 100 mbps plan. Usually get close to that on wired device. Wireless device is inconsistent, anywhere from 35 to 70. And it still goes out every time it rains. Overall it still beats satellite we had before for about the same price (excluding installation cost).

I'm by no means an electronic expert but according to the specs the router is easily capable of pushing that. I don't know what the wireless card in the iPad is capable of pulling, but I don't see why that would explain the inconsistencies. If it can't pull 100, it seems like it would be at a consistent speed somewhere below that.

Not really worried about it since it is more than twice what we got on satellite even at its slowest.

That's theoretical speed, and each wireless device you have takes a piece of that pie. So if your router can do 100 total then two devices get 50, 4 get 25 and so on. It gets more complicated then that, but there is a good reason why wireless engineers make so much money.

Ultimately, if it doesn't matter to you then that's all that really matters. I work IT and love teaching people about it, so don't mind me.
kyledr04
AG
I've been reading about the wifi inconsistency across devices and even between speed test sites. There are so many variations. Most devices can't do AC to get the fast speeds. The other issue seems to be related to multiple streams vs one. The router makes a huge difference as well. Regardless of what speed I've gotten I've been able to do anything I want. Four HD streams work fine.

I think they've invested way too much not to have good service and it's new so they need some time. On the other hand they have a monopoly.

I have backup wifi on my phone so I can manage. Other than the rain, it's been flawless so far. Install was slow but it was a huge project.Still can't complain too much because our other option is slow wisp or nothing.
deh40
AG
Average Joe said:

deh40 said:

Average Joe said:

deh40 said:

Average Joe said:

deh40 said:

He BBI have the 100 mbps plan. Usually get close to that on wired device. Wireless device is inconsistent, anywhere from 35 to 70. And it still goes out every time it rains. Overall it still beats satellite we had before for about the same price (excluding installation cost).

That's theoretical speed, and each wireless device you have takes a piece of that pie. So if your router can do 100 total then two devices get 50, 4 get 25 and so on. It gets more complicated then that, but there is a good reason why wireless engineers make so much money.

Ultimately, if it doesn't matter to you then that's all that really matters. I work IT and love teaching people about it, so don't mind me.
No clue what it even means, but router says speed of 450 + 1300 mbps. Only things wireless are 2 iPads and 1 iPhone.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.