CEO Communications and fiber optic?

13,525 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by labmansid
foo00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The router saying it can do 1300mbps/450mbps doesn't mean that's real world. And even then, that first number is IF your device connects via 5ghz vs 2.4ghz (many devices prefer it as it goes through walls better) AND the router is set for 80mhz channels (or maybe even 160mhz which is like.. all of it) AND your device can handle it (current iPad can but 2yr ago didn't.. same with laptops, etc) AND there's no other networks on those channels causing collisions AND you're in the vacuum of deep space (but we have that pesky oxygen). It's actually surprisingly hard to push something that fast even if you know what you're doing. Run a smaller channel, forget to disable 2.4ghz, have oxygen present, etc and you lose 25%-75% of the speed at EACH step. Oh and wifi is half-duplex so when you download it has to stop to upload all the ACK packets and such killing your throughout even more.

Getting real-world 100mbps over WiFi and I'm giddy. Which is why I've always questioned why bother with 200mbps, 400mbps, gigabit, etc? Other than you have to to avoid SL's data cap.. because no one I know uses wired except for servers and 99% of people aren't dorks like me with servers so..
TheAlarmGuy
LOL

ACK ACK
Sponsor Message: Advanced Security Concepts | Reliable security by dependable people at an affordable price | david1@advancedsec.com | 979-690-8516 | State Lic B09523
viejo
deh40 said:

Like clockwork, it rained and CEO fiber went down.
For how long does it go down? My buddy uses the CEO line of site service which he says is reliable. Rain isn't a problem.
kyledr04
AG
Mine goes out few a minutes at time while it's raining hardest then comes back. It's wierd.
75AG
AG
We're getting closer! Supposedly infrastructure issues will be resolved this week, and they'll be ready to install IN the house next week.
75AG
AG
WE HAVE IT! 100mps wired, around 45 on devices. Router is 3 years old, so I might upgrade to see if I get better WiFi speeds.

kyledr04
AG
Awesome. A new AC router may help maximize the wifi.
jgjg
I know this is an old thread, but I was curious to know how the CEO and BrazosWiFi fiber experience has been for people now that more should have it. How often do you have outages? Rain still causing it? Also what upload bandwidth are you getting?

Thanks!
EBrazosAg
AG
Not fiber but wireless..... moved from CEO to Brazos WiFi. Very happy. Service level and commitment to service much better. CEO / Deftech needs to slow down and get their business right rather than trying to grow at the rate they are IMHO. Service level has dropped significantly over the past 5-10 yr. I thinks CEO and Brazos WiFi try hard..... I just know in my experience CEO has lost any personal local touch. Might as well be dealing with Frontier .....
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
kyledr04
AG
CEO fiber has been good. I have the 200/20 package and get 90-100 down on my wifi and 180-190 wired. Get 19 up either way.

The rain thing seems to have gone away. Outages happen occasionally but it's not significant. Don't remember one in a while.

One thing I figured out that it helps to have battery power supply for the modem and my router. Prevents drops from power blips.

Like others said, they might have suffered a little in the service area because of massive expansion.
But they seem to be responsive when the whole neighborhood goes down. Overall still really happy.
tfunk02
AG
What speeds/prices does the WISP service come in. Their website doesn't say. Also is it free from caps and throttles?

They had issues with trees when I first tried them, but most of my neighbors use them. Wondering if it can compete with my cellular 4G LTE service I've had to Frankenstein together but works great 98% of the time.
kyledr04
AG
I used to have ceo wisp. It was ok but slow. I'm thinking it had 2 or 3 packs that ranged between 4 and 10 down and maybe 2-4 up. I think mine was 6/2. I could do it during the day but bogged down in the evening when everyone in the neighborhood was at home.
labmansid
tfunk02 said:

What speeds/prices does the WISP service come in. Their website doesn't say. Also is it free from caps and throttles?

They had issues with trees when I first tried them, but most of my neighbors use them. Wondering if it can compete with my cellular 4G LTE service I've had to Frankenstein together but works great 98% of the time.
I am probably about to end my service with CEO WISP in favor of the 4G LTE you referenced. I've been getting their 6 down/3 up for a while, ends up about $75/month. They do have I believe a 10 down service for around $90-100 that I inquired about a while back, but I just couldn't justify it. Service is pretty reliable, especially speed wise, but it does go down on rare occasions for a while.I have never had an issue with caps or throttling of speeds.

The speeds I get with the 4G setup is more variable, but generally much better than through the CEO service. It is also cheaper by a few bucks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.