Aggieland
Sponsored By

Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
That is the estimated population for College Station as of September 2017 per the City. For reference, that is a gain of about 20,000 people from the September population estimate in 2012.

Total permits (residential and commercial) down quite a bit. Is growth slowing?

http://cstx.gov/modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=24839

Does the City of Bryan put out similar population projections?
AggieBarstool
L
Captn_Ag05 said:

Is growth slowing?
We can only hope.

I miss the sleepy home-town feeling this town had 10 years ago.
duffelpud
L
AG
Quote:

I miss the sleepy home-town feeling this town had 150 years ago.
"What's this button do?"
australopithecus robustus
A
I'm very enthused to see the growth, albeit only 4000/yr. would like to see 150,000 by 2020. Probably too ambitious though.
Cyp0111
A
Will be interesting to see the growth potential when the 249 extension is final.
Captn_Ag05
L
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

I'm very enthused to see the growth, albeit only 4000/yr. would like to see 150,000 by 2020. Probably too ambitious though.

It will be interesting to see where Bryan numbers come in during the 2020 census. If Bryan can push over 100,000 by then, I think it would help to market the BCS area to new business (retail and commercial) as two cities with populations of 100,000+.
KidDoc
L
AG
We really need a big mid level employer to push population. If you take out medical, TAMU, and public schools the jobs are meager. It seems like Aggieland should be able to attract some manufacturing and financial type business with the low cost of living and reasonable traffic.
Esteban du Plantier
L
Captn_Ag05 said:

It will be interesting to see where Bryan numbers come in during the 2020 census. If Bryan can push over 100,000 by then, I think it would help to market the BCS area to new business (retail and commercial) as two cities with populations of 100,000+.

Make sure to paint real rosy picture of Bryan; College Station is full.
O'Doyle Rules
L
AG
KidDoc said:

We really need a big mid level employer to push population. If you take out medical, TAMU, and public schools the jobs are meager. It seems like Aggieland should be able to attract some manufacturing and financial type business with the low cost of living and reasonable traffic.

"Reasonable traffic"

It could be so much better if the traffic engineers knew how to time stop lights
Biggo
V
AG
duffelpud said:

Quote:

I miss the sleepy home-town feeling this town had 150 years ago.

Any thread with Iron Eyes Cody is a thread I want to follow.
Biggo

I've been told by doctors and surgeons that I have the energy of ten men who have normal jobs.--Gary Busey
rc_cat
A
O'Doyle Rules said:

KidDoc said:

"Reasonable traffic"

It could be so much better if the traffic engineers knew how to time stop lights

And stopped turning main arteries into parking lots without any foreseeable plans for a remedy.
Heismenberg
H
AG
KidDoc said:

Low cost of living? The price for a house here is way more expensive than most areas that aren't downtown lofts, or country club esque.
KidDoc
L
AG
Heismenberg said:

KidDoc said:

Low cost of living? The price for a house here is way more expensive than most areas that aren't downtown lofts, or country club esque.

That is true. I'm talking relative to other areas with an educated available workforce like the north east or west coast. Relative to other Texas towns aside from Austin our housing is high.
Spyderman
L
AG
"Growth" is running the planet in the ground.
KidDoc
L
AG
Spyderman said:

"Growth" is running the planet in the ground.
Interestingly our population growth has stalled and is expected to turn into population loss in the near future.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/22/us/usa-population-growth.html

Now if you are talking globally then yes it is still a global issue. But in USA population growth is very low at the moment and with the baby boomer generation approaching end life in the next 30 years and birth rate pretty low it is expected to turn negative.
bcstx06
A
Captn_Ag05 said:

I remember reading an article saying that Bryan's population will pass 100,000 right before 2020. Also heard on WTAW the mayor saying that Bryan added more single family housing then College Station did last year. College Station added more apartments which equals more overall house though. With the surprise announcement of the RELLIS Campus a year ago and the many other developments, I think the city will reach 100,000 before 2020.

Bryan's population was estimated at about 85,000 in 2016 so about 15,000 from the magic 100,000. Hopefully the 100,000 population mark will put the city on developer radars.
Page 1 of 1

Verify your student status
See Membership Benefits >