6,612 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by chigger
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That is the estimated population for College Station as of September 2017 per the City. For reference, that is a gain of about 20,000 people from the September population estimate in 2012.

Total permits (residential and commercial) down quite a bit. Is growth slowing?

http://cstx.gov/modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=24839

Does the City of Bryan put out similar population projections?
AggieBarstool
Captn_Ag05 said:

Is growth slowing?
We can only hope.

I miss the sleepy home-town feeling this town had 10 years ago.
australopithecus robustus
I'm very enthused to see the growth, albeit only 4000/yr. would like to see 150,000 by 2020. Probably too ambitious though.
Cyp0111
Will be interesting to see the growth potential when the 249 extension is final.
Captn_Ag05
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

I'm very enthused to see the growth, albeit only 4000/yr. would like to see 150,000 by 2020. Probably too ambitious though.

It will be interesting to see where Bryan numbers come in during the 2020 census. If Bryan can push over 100,000 by then, I think it would help to market the BCS area to new business (retail and commercial) as two cities with populations of 100,000+.
KidDoc
AG
We really need a big mid level employer to push population. If you take out medical, TAMU, and public schools the jobs are meager. It seems like Aggieland should be able to attract some manufacturing and financial type business with the low cost of living and reasonable traffic.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

It will be interesting to see where Bryan numbers come in during the 2020 census. If Bryan can push over 100,000 by then, I think it would help to market the BCS area to new business (retail and commercial) as two cities with populations of 100,000+.

Make sure to paint real rosy picture of Bryan; College Station is full.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
KidDoc said:

We really need a big mid level employer to push population. If you take out medical, TAMU, and public schools the jobs are meager. It seems like Aggieland should be able to attract some manufacturing and financial type business with the low cost of living and reasonable traffic.

"Reasonable traffic"

It could be so much better if the traffic engineers knew how to time stop lights
rc_cat
O'Doyle Rules said:

KidDoc said:

"Reasonable traffic"

It could be so much better if the traffic engineers knew how to time stop lights

And stopped turning main arteries into parking lots without any foreseeable plans for a remedy.
AgsWin2011
AG
KidDoc said:

Low cost of living? The price for a house here is way more expensive than most areas that aren't downtown lofts, or country club esque.
KidDoc
AG
Heismenberg said:

KidDoc said:

Low cost of living? The price for a house here is way more expensive than most areas that aren't downtown lofts, or country club esque.

That is true. I'm talking relative to other areas with an educated available workforce like the north east or west coast. Relative to other Texas towns aside from Austin our housing is high.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Spyderman
AG
"Growth" is running the planet in the ground.
KidDoc
AG
Spyderman said:

"Growth" is running the planet in the ground.
Interestingly our population growth has stalled and is expected to turn into population loss in the near future.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/22/us/usa-population-growth.html

Now if you are talking globally then yes it is still a global issue. But in USA population growth is very low at the moment and with the baby boomer generation approaching end life in the next 30 years and birth rate pretty low it is expected to turn negative.
bcstx06
Captn_Ag05 said:

I remember reading an article saying that Bryan's population will pass 100,000 right before 2020. Also heard on WTAW the mayor saying that Bryan added more single family housing then College Station did last year. College Station added more apartments which equals more overall house though. With the surprise announcement of the RELLIS Campus a year ago and the many other developments, I think the city will reach 100,000 before 2020.

Bryan's population was estimated at about 85,000 in 2016 so about 15,000 from the magic 100,000. Hopefully the 100,000 population mark will put the city on developer radars.
AggieFrog
AG
I'm still shocked every time I drive down from Fort Worth. It's definitely not the same College Station I remember from 20 years ago (for better and for worse). Really no longer has the small town feel and many areas feel more urban/hipster. Tons of restaurants yet the old grocery stores are all abandoned (guessing Super Walmart, Target, and HEB took their place). Feels like a whole different place and I only graduated 17 years ago - can't imagine how the older Ags feel.
FlyRod
Love the way we are progressing, with a few hiccups and bumps along the way of course. Keep it coming.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
The number of apartments and Aggie rental units being built, NEEDS TO STOP!! It's past the point of being ridiciolous
Oogway
Since you are a landlord, I am sure you feel that way. Perhaps renters are feeling the opposite since they have choices on where to live?

Some of the landlords in this community are absolutely awesome and hopefully will have few difficulties with their investment. However, I am not feeling much sympathy for the absentee/slumlord/shyster folks that have been relying on a understaffed/lax code enforcement and what was (for them) a favorable market.
AG
Yes but what you don't realize is that once the rental market crashes, because at the rate they are building apartments and Aggie shacks, it will drive down the value of homes across bcs substantially.

I don't mind a healthy rental market, but what we absolutely have going here in town is absolutely stupid!!
FlyRod
I for one would love to see housing prices drop around here. Its a big deal for us at work in trying to recruit young people, who come here enthusiastically at first, quickly find themselves priced out of the existing housing market, and have to settle for a crappy rental...in a community overloaded with crappy rentals and virtually nothing decent for professional adults. No bueno.
Aggiewoman
AG
This. It's ruining neighborhoods. Gone are the days of having respectful neighbors. Now it's college kids stacked upon college kids with roads full of parked cars and red solo cups.

*Shakes fist in air*
Oogway
This is why there are complexes marketed toward students that have the party mind set. The problem that I was referring to is when I have colleagues that are looking to move here with their family, they don't necessarily wish to buy a large home on a tiny lot and drive past homes in established neighborhoods. It is none of my business if someone wishes to lease their old home after they build a new one; their choice and I can understand the strategy. Sometimes, however, it backfires and they might have missed a sale. There are a lot of duplexes, townhomes, and apartments in town for rent. I would be interested to know how many houses there are that don't have leases currently or will not for next year.
rsa
AG
Oogway said:

This is why there are complexes marketed toward students that have the party mind set. The problem that I was referring to is when I have colleagues that are looking to move here with their family, they don't necessarily wish to buy a large home on a tiny lot and drive past homes in established neighborhoods. It is none of my business if someone wishes to lease their old home after they build a new one; their choice and I can understand the strategy. Sometimes, however, it backfires and they might have missed a sale. There are a lot of duplexes, townhomes, and apartments in town for rent. I would be interested to know how many houses there are that don't have leases currently or will not for next year.
On the MLS search for today, there 122 unoccupied single-family homes currently for lease in B/CS. The actual number is larger: many leasing companies do not place their listings on the MLS
AG
There are tons of houses and new Aggie shacks right next to the university that did not leased this past summer/fall.....THAT right there should scare the crap out of you!!! Those are prime rental units yet they didn't lease.

There are around 8 NEW apartment complexes in the pipeline that have yet to be built, that's an enourmous number of apartment complexes, that's not counting the ones that are currently being built! THATS BEYOND STUPID!! there isn't a demand at all for that many new beds in this town.
Yet city council continues to rubber stamp them! ****ing idiots if you ask me.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I would assume that part of it may be related to expected demand from RELLIS and the 10,000 plus students that is supposed to bring.
Oogway
So you want the city council to tell the property owner he/she can't build apartments? While overbuilding may make for a surplus now, exactly what would you have the city tell the property owners in this case? (Again, I am not referring to AgShacks, which have raised the question of neighborhood overlays, etc) " Mr/Ms Developer, we have too many beds and not enough heads so yeah, stop."

For awhile, the demand exceeded the supply and now it has caught up and as Rellis comes online, it may even out once more. It may not. If you are worried about the loan bubble, I get that, but I am not certain that the city can really do much about that locally can they?

While I am not overjoyed about the # of apartments being built, there does seem to be an effort to have some designed more for the professionals and others who want to live and work w/o being around the student lifestyle or for young marrieds that are here temporarily for grad school, etc.
AG
Oogway said:

So you want the city council to tell the property owner he/she can't build apartments? While overbuilding may make for a surplus now, exactly what would you have the city tell the property owners in this case? (Again, I am not referring to AgShacks, which have raised the question of neighborhood overlays, etc) " Mr/Ms Developer, we have too many beds and not enough heads so yeah, stop."

For awhile, the demand exceeded the supply and now it has caught up and as Rellis comes online, it may even out once more. It may not. If you are worried about the loan bubble, I get that, but I am not certain that the city can really do much about that locally can they?

While I am not overjoyed about the # of apartments being built, there does seem to be an effort to have some designed more for the professionals and others who want to live and work w/o being around the student lifestyle or for young marrieds that are here temporarily for grad school, etc.

I have news for you, it wouldn't be the first time they would do something like that. I'm a developer myself and I loath the city planners, for a number of reasons.

The rental market crashed this past summer, the part that you are not getting is that if the rental market crashes in this town, the residential market could be affected negatebly! At this point the demand for rental units its way way lower than the amount of units available. We are going to need more then just 10,000 students to catch up with the number of apartments being built. Currently you have many new complexes struggling to even get past 50% capacity.

Sorry but I don't see anything in this town happening now or in the near future that will cause this town to explode and catch up with the number of current and future apartment complexes being built.

Just my .02
atm86
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

I would assume that part of it may be related to expected demand from RELLIS and the 10,000 plus students that is supposed to bring.
Maybe they should build them out closer to RELLIS than in College Station.
O.G.
I'm given to understand that currently, a lot of the major apartment complexes in town are grossly under filled. Several of the ones on Harvey already take Section 8 housing, when this is in South CStat, maybe they will start paying attention.
rcannaday
AG
I think something also needs to be said, about the complex off of George Bush that is on TAMU property. This properties debt is now junk/speculative grade due to only <=50% occupancy. What do you think is going to happen next year with their rental prices? I would imagine they are going to fall very fast for them, so they can get fuller occupancy levels. What do you think that implies for other apartments/rental homes etc.? This is without even considering the new complex that is going up near the Rise. How many are more bedrooms going to come online when that goes up? What about all the Ag Shacks etc. that are in construction phase now? I would not want to be holding the bag for most if any rental properties. Hence, you see certain relators in that part of the business hoping to flip to buyers who don't know the market with expectations of later tenants. Third, I know several large developers are very worried about low occupancy, and the ability to flip out of their developments to larger investors due to low cash flow issues. What is going to happen to those high interest notes those developers are holding, on a lower than expected cash flowing business? Just think about it.
chigger
AG
Man I remember the sign going into College Station on South College saying 17,000. I'm getting old.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.