CS City Council Asking for Property Tax Increase

20,234 Views | 190 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Stucco
Post removed:
by user
nought
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Unreal. You can cut $50 to $60 million off of that list in about 30 seconds by simply thinking "really, I mean _really_ necessary? No? Slash."

Here's a hint to help City Council members, citizen committee members, etc:

If you don't have enough money for a supposedly very necessary police station, then you don't need anything related to skateparks, splash pads, parks, community centers, etc. on your list. Tighten the belt.
AgGunNut
AG
Prioritized wish list. They know there's no way to fund all of it.
duffelpud
AG
Interestingly one of the first projects completed was the second-to-last listed million dollar skate park.

Never say 'no way to fund all of it' when you're spending other people's money.

Carnwellag2
AgGunNut said:

As to why the CS facility is planned to be as large as it is slated to be, like I said, it's already past capacity. People work out of storage closets, share offices, and the City currently leases a facility for three PD units (Community Enhancement, Traffic Safety, and Animal Control) at a separate facility. The proposed building would consolidate this, give people in closets an actual work space, and allow for future growth for many years.

Maybe less employees is the answer
AgGunNut
AG
With all do respect, I'd encourage you to take this...College Station Citizens Police Academy to see the ins and outs and behind the scenes of how a police department works. It isn't just the patrol officers and motorcycle officers you see out on the streets.

CSPD already loses employees at an alarming rate with only one cause being workload compared to similar sized agencies. Those in attendance of the recent Town Hall Meeting at Lincoln Center got to hear straight from PD administration's mouth that 50 sworn officers would be needed immediately to catch up to per capita standards of officers per residents, not withstanding any future growth. Along with those officers are dispatchers, jailers, records clerks, and other support roles to make sure the wheels keep turning.

The current building was built in the late 70's when the population was much, MUCH lower. I don't think it's quite fair to say that the building that handled the needs of a town of 20-30k can handle the needs of a city of 100k+.
runawaytrain
New Police Station + New City Building .. why not rent the vacant buildings around town? Also with tower point /old grad dorm area and all the housing that is being built should they not be receiving a huge windfall from those + huge increases in property values?
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Gander and Academy are vacant and right next door to the each other. Repurpose and, voila, new city hall and PD. Do it before churches move in there.
Oogway
Oogway
Oops sorry^^^ about the accidental post.

I understand that a jail might need special construction, so that I wouldn't be so inclined to harumph about new building but if they have to have a community center, and I would put it way down on the list of items for sure; that is one that repurposing a vacant building would be better than new IMO.
BigBubba
AG
Oh hell NO!! I don't care if they need a new police building. Total revenues have been going up due to increased property values. They should not need even more money on top of that. In fact, they should be looking at how to LOWER OUR TAX RATE due to the increased revenues.
lockett93
AG
If they would repurpose that $28MM to overpasses at 2818 (holleman and G bush for starters), they would need a whole lot fewer police and fire to respond to accidents.
hopeandrealchange
The old Academy building would be a great location for a police station. And the Gander mountain building would make a great new city hall.
Oogway
I hate to see two commercial buildings along Highway 6 taken off the tax rolls though, especially with numerous churches that already have highway frontage.

On the other hand, anyone with outstanding warrants or tax bills will have a choice: pay or pray.
Rexter
Maybe PD should have some storefronts spread around for the officers to work out of. They should also look at doing "hot" officing and working clerks, etc, in two shifts to reduce the need for space by utilizing current space for more than eight hours a day.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Clarification- is there discussion of a new police station AND a new city hall? Or, are the two one in the same?
txyaloo
AG
AgGunNut said:

Don't shoot the messenger. I never said that city administration planned accordingly...whether that on City Hall and/or City Council, it certainly isn't up to the individual city departments. All they can do is express their needs. Luckily, the citizen advisory committee got first hand knowledge as to how over capacity the current facility is and got to voice their concerns.

As for Conroe's building, I don't believe they have a jail facility in theirs (this alone can account for at least $2M). Part of the problem is ever increasing cost of construction. I'm willing to bet if the project had been started when Conroe's was started, it would have been much cheaper.
I get the need for having holding cells, but why does the city need a fully licensed jail facility when Brazos county jail is a 10 minute transport away?
Frio Cielo
Purchasing or long-term leasing the vacant Gander Mt. and Academy buildings make sense at this time. The tax loss might be somewhat higher than another location, but those two bulidngs may stay vacant for decades...think of the Albertsons buildings around town.

Government has a relentless thirst for more and more money...it's an addiction. It can't help itself. Look at the list above. Anyone can find a "need" if they look for it. Government, like the citizens, have a whole lot of wants, but very few needs.

The logic of other cities have higher tax rates it a government comparison game. We have a lower tax rate than X city. So we raise ours. Y city see ours and gets their raised, X comes back and sees the two higher and they "need" to raise theirs. It's an endless cycle.

A&M plays the same game. We have to compete with other universities for professors pay so the salaries are raised. Then another university says the same when they see A&M's up and gets a budget increase....and the cycle goes on and on.

The intended role and purpose of government is very small and limited.
AgGunNut
AG
It is a holding facility. There are still standards for those though. They currently run multiple transports a day to County with multiple arrestees instead of every single one. The longest someone is in CSPD jail is 3 days for sitting on municipal warrants. Discsussions of doing away with that are on going.
PS3D
Quote:

Traffic signals - $1.5 million

Can someone explain why the city needs new traffic signals if they've already retrofitted their predecessors (like, say, at Harvey Mitchell and Longmire) to have the blinking yellow arrow and cameras to time it better? By far this seems like the most useless item on the list.
KerrvilleAg
in city government....you ain't trying unless you build a Taj Mahal

and have a bunch people working for you and new positions opened with fancy titles so you can pay them a lot and....your salary gets bumped

its a game they all play
montegobay
How do we get a copy of the budget? I would love to see how our money is being spent and allocated.
oklaunion
KerrvilleAg said:

in city government....you ain't trying unless you build a Taj Mahal

and have a bunch people working for you and new positions opened with fancy titles so you can pay them a lot and....your salary gets bumped

its a game they all play
Truer words were never spoken. I watched it happen in state government and a guy who retired from a local university recently told me the folks filling the additional layers of bureaucracy scurried like roaches when a supervisor came walking through to see what they were doing.
Take a look at some of the city salaries if you aren't currently offended, including spokesperson.
AgGunNut
AG
Should be posted on the city webpage.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Just to be clear, the Albertson's buildings probably aren't the best examples. Wal-Mart owns the one on 2818. They built into part of it and use the rest for storage. H-E-B owns the one on University and is keeping it vacant to keep any other grocer from occupying.
australopithecus robustus
HEB does not own the one on University. They have a lease and are leasing it from Ali Kazerouni, the owner of A+ tutoring as well as the property.
cslifer
And the one on 2818 isn't used for storage, there is a trampoline park in there.
duffelpud
AG
Quote:

Take a look at some of the city salaries if you aren't currently offended, including spokesperson.
Hired 8 years ago at $103,000 plus bennies.

AgGunNut
AG
Question though, what should someone in that position make? I'm not trying to be sarcastic. Just curious.

That being said, what are people's opinions on this position (or others) making the same as something similar in the private sector? If every position in the public sector was paid significantly less than the private sector, why would anyone work for a government entity?
UmustBKidding
He probably should be paid millions, having to keep a straight face explaining to the citizens why the latest hair brained scheme the council and staff have come up with is a good idea.
The pay is part of the problem, in general you can't highly competent people for the public salary. So they hire marginal people. The people who take any effort to improve are hired away. The largest example is police, they can go to Bryan and make more money even while training, and once they have their cert they can go to places like Waco and make 25% more or larger cities like Austin an San Antonio and make 50+% more. IT is another area, they hire cheap, spend many thousands on training and when they tell them they found another job they are stunned. I know of several that if they were willing match the offer they would have stayed. But over less than 2k a year they loose someone they spent 10k training and have to start over.

runawaytrain
Simple state in their contract if they leave before X time they owe the city Y. It's done in the private sector for payments to MBA and other programs.
Kitten With A Whip
Captn_Ag05 said:

Cyp0111 said:

College Station still has a very fair tax rate compared to the larger cities.

Give them a few years.
You really can't compare it with larger cities because we are NOT a larger city. Compare us to cities of a similar size and report back on that.
Clo004
I know at the PD new hires that are sent to the academy agree to stay 2 years with the city or they have to pay back the academy cost. To put that in perspective by the time you are on your own and out of training a full year has gone by.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Cyp0111 said:

College Station still has a very fair tax rate compared to the larger cities.
Well, move to one of those cities and leave our tax rate alone.
PS3D
hopeandrealchange said:

The old Academy building would be a great location for a police station. And the Gander mountain building would make a great new city hall.
That actually might be possible, Gander Mountain including the semi-outdoor boat area and the main store tops 70k square feet, and the old Academy is actually 50k square feet (source, Brazos CAD; I don't know where they got the "new Academy is more than twice as large as the old one" idea from, considering it's only 72k square feet). The only thing that would still need to be done as add turnaround lanes (maybe just reconstruct the bridge entirely) at Southwest Parkway and Highway 6, as it's on a one-way road.

Then some of the other stuff could be funded by selling the old city hall location on Texas Avenue to a developer, where the front can be new restaurants and the back could be new housing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.