Restaurant Opinions

11,956 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by cottonpatchag
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FlyRod said:

I wasn't making a point about C-Mac's places. He had asked, more than once, whether a tapas-type place would make it here. A VERY tiny number of folks such as myself would love such a place. But most would not due to the quantity-value-price issue.

Enh, I would argue that MyBCS/TexAgs is NOT what represents the community as a whole. If CharlieMac was as divisive in the greater College Station-Bryan area as he was in MyBCS, I doubt that the restaurants would've lasted as long as they did.

Quote:

The "under-served community" the OP was asking about, IMO, is represented by people who want such places, or to put it another way, wish the sorts of places one finds in Austin, Dallas, or Houston would make their way here. Which isn't going to happen.

K2T2 I totally agree, and that would be another under-served community...possibly bigger than the one I noted.

A lot of it has less to do with what people want to eat and what people can afford it. To support a wide variety of unique restaurants, you need a wealthy base of people, and to build that, you need high-end jobs, which Austin, Dallas, and Houston have but College Station really doesn't.

Yeah, I know there are a few high-paying jobs in College Station-Bryan but not nearly the number that can support things like Brazilian steakhouses, other expense account lunch places, or highly specialized places like vegan restaurants.

This is not to say we get stiffed on demographics, and we deserve better than chicken fingers, pizza, and hamburgers, but a lot of the restaurants we wish we had are off-limits until our average income gets a lot better.
aggmaroon
AG
M'Beaux's in Anderson is the closest to real Cajun in the area. If you haven't tried it, you need to drive out there.
K2T2
PS3D said:

A lot of it has less to do with what people want to eat and what people can afford it. To support a wide variety of unique restaurants, you need a wealthy base of people, and to build that, you need high-end jobs, which Austin, Dallas, and Houston have but College Station really doesn't.

Yeah, I know there are a few high-paying jobs in College Station-Bryan but not nearly the number that can support things like Brazilian steakhouses, other expense account lunch places, or highly specialized places like vegan restaurants.

This is not to say we get stiffed on demographics, and we deserve better than chicken fingers, pizza, and hamburgers, but a lot of the restaurants we wish we had are off-limits until our average income gets a lot better.
I just want to point out that plant based meals are generally cheaper than animal-product based meals, especially those involving meat and especially those involving red meat or seafood. Ever order the portobello taco from your favorite taco place? The Veggie Delite at Subway? They're the usually cheapest item on the menu.
PS3D
K2T2 said:

PS3D said:

I just want to point out that plant based meals are generally cheaper than animal-product based meals, especially those involving meat and especially those involving red meat or seafood. Ever order the portobello taco from your favorite taco place? The Veggie Delite at Subway? They're the usually cheapest item on the menu.
Actual vegan food from the supermarket begs to differ (comparing prices), and as for your other examples, the Veggie Delite doesn't have anything to replace the meat (a few years ago a few local Subways did try to experiment with a vegetarian patty, I don't think it lasted long), and as the taco, if we were comparing, say Torchy's, the "Independent" matches prices with the Chicken Fajita, the Wrangler, and the Ranch Hand, and is undercut by a quarter by the Republican, with its juicy jalapeno sausage.
TXAG 05
AG
K2T2 said:

PS3D said:

Those are cheaper because there isn't any food in them
FlyRod
Regarding our average income getting better, have you priced houses around here, and timed how fast they sell? I don't think income is the issue. $300,000 and up houses are selling like hot cakes. Hard to believe those people are living on chicken fingers.
australopithecus robustus
Those people are living on chicken fingers because they are families buying those houses, not single yuppies...
FlyRod
Crap. Now I have to feel sorry for people living in $300,000 houses.
Cancelled
AG
aggmaroon said:

M'Beaux's in Anderson is the closest to real Cajun in the area. If you haven't tried it, you need to drive out there.

By a guy from Portland, Oregon or something. Nevertheless, it's pretty damned good.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Ugh y'all reminded me about the place on wellborn that closed down. It really cut down on my Cajun cooking labor by me not having to always cook when we have Cajun, but now I'm back to doing it all myself.
You don't need to feel sorry for them, just need to understand our demographics here
FlyRod
Thank you for providing me with that survey driven analysis, australo. I feel like a veil has lifted from my eyes, and I'm blinded by enlightenment.

Rich folk. Really bad taste in food. Totally got it.
eloc62
aggmaroon said:

Thanks for the name of that place. was going to ask tonight for the name. saves me some time searching! I think I might try that place this weekend.
PS3D
FlyRod said:

Regarding our average income getting better, have you priced houses around here, and timed how fast they sell? I don't think income is the issue. $300,000 and up houses are selling like hot cakes. Hard to believe those people are living on chicken fingers.
Higher housing prices/cost of living don't necessarily mean higher income.
eloc62
eloc62 said:

aggmaroon said:

Thanks for the name of that place. was going to ask tonight for the name. saves me some time searching! I think I might try that place this weekend.
anyone know if they serve beer?
https://www.bea.gov/regional/bearfacts/pdf.cfm?fips=17780&areatype=MSA&geotype=4

BCS per capita income only 70% that of the USA. Of course the student argument will come in.

Bottom line though is that the per capita retail spending is ranked below towns like Tyler, Victoria, Waco and Wichita Falls, according to the Texas A&M Real Estate Center.

Veil lifted

FlyRod
The "student argument" is relevant.

Income isn't the reason we don't have nice things, attitude and mindset is. A "nice" place considers opening here, and people start wringing their hands about free soda refills.
A Bush's, Zaxby's or some similar craphole opens and people glom all over it like it's the Second Coming.
91_Aggie
AG
MosesHallRAB83 said:

I'd suspect that was something from a non-cajun place. Almost all seasoning in true cajun is based on the trinity and some basic spices.
It was in New Orleans!!!!
Tailgate88
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

K2T2 said:

PS3D said:

Those are cheaper because there isn't any food in them
I concur that the student argument is relevant, hence the reference
91_Aggie
AG
K2T2 said:

The times, they are a changin', but vegetarians and especially vegans are still pretty underserved. A lot of places (especially nicer places, looking at you Christopher's, Veritas, and The Republic) lack real vegetarian entrees and usually have nothing vegan besides maybe a severely modified salad or mash up of sides. A pile of cheese isn't an entree, it's just lazy.
The market determines what these locations will sell/serve.

If they aren't offering these types, then it is probably because they can't money on them. Don't get angry at those three restaurants. Go start up your own and see if you can thrive, or even survive.

Essentially, it is not their job to make sure the vegetarian/vegan crowd is served.
FlyRod
Or continue driving to Austin or Houston to eat something decent and give those places your money, if BCS doesn't want it. Be thankful for our good roads!

Oogway, I think you have your answer; there are no under-served communities, apparently.
The Original AG 76
AG
Frio Cielo said:

Oogway said:

Biobioprof--yes, Cafe Eccell, Cenares, Christopher's are what I am talking about. If you include Veritas and some others, are there enough of that style of dining in BCS? You tell me; I was asking the question based on personal frame of reference to other places, although as you pointed out: BCS has a unique situation that developed due to the way the twin cities grew. The question grew out of the discussion on the Comings and Goings regarding the Brazilian Steakhouse comments and how much people were willing to pay for a plate o' food.

'Blue collar' may have been off-the-mark a little. Mostly I was referring to what I call the 'diner' establishments, even if they don't serve chicken fried steak. Little places like Coco Loco, La Familia, Hullabaloo. Places where folks go to grab their lunch or dinner w/o a lot of fuss. They seem to appear more in pocket neighborhoods, but as you pointed out, the sprawl of large subdivisions (not exactly what you said, I know) does seem to hinder their inclusion. I know very little about the business side of restaurants like some of you, but I imagine having to develop a large pad site with parking and such is daunting at the real estate prices that certain parts of the two towns command. Not a complaint, mind you, but it does influence local dining options.

As far as sprawl, weather, etc. it didn't influence me so much, but I didn't work downtown nor on the campus as my employment was in a business park on the outskirts of the city. There were plenty of dining options, some within walking distance but the 'mixed-use' development model may have been more popular and doesn't seem to be the case here.

Frio Cielo, I do think there are a lot of locally owned establishments that serve some pretty fine food. Getting the word out about them and where they are and what they serve and why you like them is just as important as the places that we post about that don't always live up to our expectations.

So back to one of the original questions, is there another niche, authentic Cajun notwithstanding, that may be underserved?

I tjhink one of the problems is that BCS is larger in population then there is for the demand for local owned unique foods. We are a blend of about 10 cultures and population types. Sure we have over 200,000 persons, but 80,000 +/- are college students who either are not looking very often if ever for quality dining at the prices necessary to supply it. Then you have a large Hispanic and other ethnic group lower income, population in BCS who are not looking to dine at a Christophers, a Veritas, etc. Add to that a lot of people are economically just getting by and regardless of food quality, it's a lot less expensive to go through a chicken, hamburger, etc. drive through for $15 or so for two persons than to go to a dining restaurant for $30 to $40 for two persons.

I or we go to one of the three Soul food restaurants most every week. All three have enough variety that you could almost rotate the three restaurant's and pick out difference foods each time and not have to repeat over three weeks.

We just dont' have enough people familiar with or wanting Cajun foods to support a nice authentic restaurant and the ones that we have had were marginal or mis-managed. I loved the one down Wellborn and went there a few times and loved it but the food was inconsistent in quality and a couple of times the wait was long. It was too small of a dining area. The last time I went there we were put at a table right by the door and as we ate we had about 10 persons as close at two feet to us watching us eat. Just wasn't a pleasant dining experience for the $70 we spent. Even with that, I wish they were still there.

A good, well managed Cajun restaurant would do well but it would have to survive for two or three years to develop a customer base. The problem would be now, if Poppadoux does come it, they would hurt a locally owned restaurant. The average person just wants the chain restaurants more than they want foods as authentic as possible.
Just a reminder about the place in Wellborn,
One of the biggest factors in the closing was the failure of the overlords in the City Of CS to allow them to add a patio and expand. The owner was amazed at the attitude of the so-called " public servants" that infest city hall. It was as if they did all possible to prevent him from success vs being even remotely helpful. There is a VERY serious anti-small business attitude in city hall. SO , once again, instead of a vibrant tax paying business we have an empty abandoned building ....but BY GAWD..we gots rules...
And the food was very good.
K2T2
FlyRod said:

Or continue driving to Austin or Houston to eat something decent and give those places your money, if BCS doesn't want it. Be thankful for our good roads!

Oogway, I think you have your answer; there are no under-served communities, apparently.
You know, strange thing, I'd rather support BCS businesses!
FlyRod
If they are worthy of support, I'm happy to support them. I'm also a realist though; I'm not going to pretend crap is gold.
PS3D
For what it's worth, nearly all the chain restaurants that have come here have done well. And no, before anyone starts crying about "chains, therefore they're inherently evil", if they didn't and the market really was crappy as some think it is, they'd be packing up. The only ones that come to mind are Tony Roma's and T.G.I. Friday's, and I know at least the latter had some issues chain-wide (the one in Waco closed prior, the one in Cypress closed soon after). Thinking about some of the chains that have opened in the last, I don't know, 4-5 years, they've all done okay: Lupe Tortilla, Razzoo's, Saltgrass Steak House, World of Beer...well, I can't think of any others.

Sorry, but chains have to come first, if you can't support chains, you can't support these mythical "great local restaurants" everyone speaks of.
FlyRod
Bennigan's failed too.

I'm not sure there's anything mythical about Veritas, Christopher's, Madden's, The Republic, or Cafe Eccell. Not to mention Rx Pizza. They are quite real and all doing fine.
PS3D
FlyRod said:

Bennigan's failed too.

Yes, as part of a chain-wide failure during a recession, not anything to do with BCS.
FlyRod
Chains that have failed in BCS: Toastie's Subs, Red Mango, Lenny's Sub Shop, Ben & Jerry's, Quizno's, Boston's, Wine Styles, Wing Zone, Great Wraps...

Prolly forgetting others.
Madaman
Quiznos had issues with whole company
halibut sinclair
Quote:

Sorry, but chains have to come first, if you can't support chains, you can't support these mythical "great local restaurants" everyone speaks of.
What? Most towns are chock full of local restaurants and other businesses long before the chains come in.
PS3D
halibut sinclair said:

Quote:

What? Most towns are chock full of local restaurants and other businesses long before the chains come in.
College Station is a relatively new city, and in many ways functions as a typical suburb would on the edge of Houston that gets its start with chains and moves onto great local sustainable restaurants later on (and by "sustainable" I mean ones that won't get run out by chains). The original stock of "local" restaurants like Pelican's Wharf, Fort Shiloh, et. al. seemed to go away with the rise of the chains, but if you can't support chains then you won't be able to support hip local joints. You know what I'm saying...?
eloc62
The demographics of B/CS, with it's large younger population will always support the chain restaurants, and that is great for the economy. I'm all for it, but i hope, and think that we are a large enough city now that the good local owner/operator restaurants will survive.
FlyRod
Most of the patrons I see at local places--Rx Pizza, Proudest Monkey, West End Elixir, The Village, etc. are young...either college age or young professional. The older demographic forms the bulk of the "fancy" restaurant clientele...Veritas and The Republic and Christopher's often resemble nursing homes.

It's the middle aged demographic, with families, that fills up the chains--Cheddars, Texas Roadhouse, etc.
Cafe Eccell's been open for 28 years.
Christopher's has been open for 18.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.