Indian Lakes (Hwy 6 access)- update?

17,553 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by carpe vinum
gunan01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is the same story they've been giving for years. Makes me wonder if it's ever going to happen.
carpe vinum
AG
The county has no desire to incur the expense then the City annex it.
The City has no interest in incurring the expense so they'll drag their feet.
Same with Arrington.
gunan01
AG
Just seems like incredibly poor planning to me, then again it's not surprising when you're thinking of Brazos Co and COCS.
Spyderman
AG
Whats going on with Cherokee Dr?
dave99ag
AG
It's comical that Hwy 6 frontage access is going to happen for Millican Reserve before Indian Lakes.
TLIAC
AG
gunan01 said:

Just seems like incredibly poor planning to me, then again it's not surprising when you're thinking of Brazos Co and COCS.
I don't understand why it's poor planning on the part of COCS. It's not their responsibility to plan and take care of roads outside of the city limits.
The Original AG 76
AG
gunan01 said:

You mean like the new red light on Wellborn out there where they tore up the damn brand new road before the paint dried on the road they just built to put in the turn lanes that should have been built when the damn road was torn up.
Some one had better have lost their job over that abortion of an intersection . Criminally incompetent .
aggiepaintrain
AG
y'all can complain when you pay city taxes which will be soon enough!
carpe vinum
AG
Not CS's problem until they annex.
County has always slow played this stuff, their money goes to the jail and BASIC ingress/egress level roads.
Mesa Verde is and should be the IL developer's problem.
They should build it, or be taxed individually to build it.

That said, you've elected a couple tax and spend knotheads recently in Aldrich and Berry.
They want to raise your taxes, and they want to 'beautify".
Expect more taxes, big projects, and their names bronzed upon them.

The County has initiated right of way negotiations along Arrington and several other Southern roadways.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Are there any efforts by CS to annex (this or other property)?
oklaunion
That said, you've elected a couple tax and spend knotheads recently in Aldrich and Berry.
They want to raise your taxes, and they want to 'beautify".
Expect more taxes, big projects, and their names bronzed upon them.

I support this statement.
gunan01
AG
http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/County-road-extension-contract-approved-to-help-relieve-traffic-451348163.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KBTX_Media

Quote:

Tuesday morning, the Brazos County Commissioners Court approved a $1.2 million contract to extend Mesa Verde Drive in the Indian Lakes subdivision to Highway 6.

"That work should begin quickly and after that's finished that will relieve a lot of traffic on Arrington," said Brazos County Judge, Duane Peters.

txgardengirl
Finally!
Oogway
I hate to break it to the woman they interviewed but once your neighborhood is used/known as a 'cut-through,' it usually stays that way. I do think Nantucket will see some relief from that when the extension is finished, but I am skeptical that it will go back to being a sleepy street during peak traffic.

I am curious, however: carpe vinum had indicated that this extension should be the developer's problem since it was indicated in the plat? (although the county approved the plat for the development). Are taxpayers paying the entire bill? Is this good or bad?
scs01
The Indian Lakes developer acquired the right-of-way for the extension and deeded it over to the county. The county will pay for the road construction. No idea whether this is good or bad, but it seems fair.
Oogway
Thanks for the info!
PS3D
Assuming that Mesa Verde will connect with the bridge at the Texas World Speedway and not just dump out onto the frontage road, approximately how long will Indian Lakes residents be able to enjoy the connection before that whole intersection is rebuilt when Southern Pointe comes in to replace the Speedway?
Oogway
Hmm, not sure. It will probably be delayed until at least January anyway unless they can move quite quick. Santa's Wonderland traffic will prohibit construction along the highway.
Rudybryan
Love the way Indian Lakes people and Nantucket are demanding access to HWY6. Does not faze them that they are taking someone else's land to make the road for their convenience. However, it would be a different story if the county was taking their personal property they owned for 30+ years!
PS3D
Rudybryan said:

Love the way Indian Lakes people and Nantucket are demanding access to HWY6. Does not faze them that they are taking someone else's land to make the road for their convenience. However, it would be a different story if the county was taking their personal property they owned for 30+ years!

Pretty sure if this an eminent domain issue the connection would've been cleared and built years ago.
MemphisAg1
AG
Awesome news!

Will alleviate traffic on Arrington/Nantucket, and improve access to IL.

win/win.
gunan01
AG
Rudybryan said:

Uninformed post. There was no eminent domain issue. The developer bought the land from the landowners (likely at a huge premium) and gifted it to the county for road construction.
mdem
AG
This is not an uniformed post. I have live on property affected by the Mesa Verde / Cherokee Dr road extensions for over 30+ years. We were given the choice - sell us your property or it will be taken by eminent domain. Before Indian Lakes was developed we went to a Brazos County / City of College Station road planning meeting. We were told that our property would not be taken to develop the roads out of Indian Lakes. Other people who were are more greatly impacted asked that the proposed roads be adjusted to their property lines rather than bisecting their property. The developer said no. Some of those landowners did not want to sell their property, but like us were really given no choice. They might not have been threaten with eminent domain the way we were, but no less were pressured to sell their property so that Indian Lakes could have another road. You purchased your property knowing that you were "landlocked" with only one one in and out. Seems unfair that you are now demanding I lose my property so that you can have another way our of your subdivision. I bet if you polled the people who live on Cherokee Dr, they would rather their street not become your drive through. They will lose the country feel of their property so that you can maintain your desired lifestyle. It all goes back to the fact developers have all the sway. They should not be able to build a landlocked subdivision until they have first built all of the roads in and out.
mdem
AG
Not a win/win for the people who live on Cherokee Drive. Not a win for the people who live on the feeder road or roads off the feeder road like Dear Park that have only one way in or out.
PS3D
mdem said:

Not a win/win for the people who live on Cherokee Drive. Not a win for the people who live on the feeder road or roads off the feeder road like Dear Park that have only one way in or out.

The "one way out" problem has been there since around 2006 when those frontage roads turned one way.
Spyderman
AG
Wish the road had never happened. Heck, wish Indian Lakes had never happened either..progress I suppose?
agnerd
AG
mdem said:

This is not an uniformed post. I have live on property affected by the Mesa Verde / Cherokee Dr road extensions for over 30+ years. We were given the choice - sell us your property or it will be taken by eminent domain. Before Indian Lakes was developed we went to a Brazos County / City of College Station road planning meeting. We were told that our property would not be taken to develop the roads out of Indian Lakes. Other people who were are more greatly impacted asked that the proposed roads be adjusted to their property lines rather than bisecting their property. The developer said no. Some of those landowners did not want to sell their property, but like us were really given no choice. They might not have been threaten with eminent domain the way we were, but no less were pressured to sell their property so that Indian Lakes could have another road. You purchased your property knowing that you were "landlocked" with only one one in and out. Seems unfair that you are now demanding I lose my property so that you can have another way our of your subdivision. I bet if you polled the people who live on Cherokee Dr, they would rather their street not become your drive through. They will lose the country feel of their property so that you can maintain your desired lifestyle. It all goes back to the fact developers have all the sway. They should not be able to build a landlocked subdivision until they have first built all of the roads in and out.
Go sprinkle some arrow heads on the property they're going to take. Take pictures and make sure to send them to the Texas Historical Commission, the developer, and the county. Make sure to put up lots of bat boxes for Mexican free-tailed bats. Send pictures to TPWD. And just because I'm a jerk, I'd also invite all the local tire shops to start "storing" their old tires and batteries on the portion of the property that is being taken. Pocket the disposal fee and then let the developer pay the disposal fee again to remove the hazardous waste. Might also want to mention that some land mines have been installed and that you would be happy to remove them all for a reasonable fee.

I also would've filed a plat for my property with a proposed Mesa verde drive alignment going right through some Indian Lakes lots so that they would lose lot income and then connect to the frontage road past the overpass. Then you tell the planning commission that you fully support extending Mesa Verde drive, and have accounted for it and that Indian Lakes is welcome to connect to it at the location YOU have proposed. Then you start negotiating from there on roadway alignments that might save Indian Lakes some money. And of course you'd expect to be compensated for changing your plans to accommodate their plans with the money saved on being able to sell 4 more Indian Lakes lots. You would also expect to be compensated at residential lot value for your land instead of raw land prices.

Always threaten to delay, delay, delay. Time is money for developers. They don't use their own money. They use investor money that requires timely returns on that investment. Anything you can do to delay a developer costs them time and money, and they are very willing to negotiate to speed up the process. Hope you were paid a significant premium for selling without going all the way through eminent domain.
PS3D
agnerd said:

mdem said:

Go sprinkle some arrow heads on the property they're going to take. Take pictures and make sure to send them to the Texas Historical Commission, the developer, and the county. Make sure to put up lots of bat boxes for Mexican free-tailed bats. Send pictures to TPWD. And just because I'm a jerk, I'd also invite all the local tire shops to start "storing" their old tires and batteries on the portion of the property that is being taken. Pocket the disposal fee and then let the developer pay the disposal fee again to remove the hazardous waste. Might also want to mention that some land mines have been installed and that you would be happy to remove them all for a reasonable fee.

Pretty sure deliberately defrauding the county (effectively, the taxpayers) is going to get you fined or charged with something. Good thing you have land you can sell to pay for your legal fees.

Of course, that's all in theory, no one would be stupid enough to actually do that in practice.
MemphisAg1
AG
gunan01 said:

This is the same story they've been giving for years. Makes me wonder if it's ever going to happen.
It's happening. They're pushing the roadway now and installing drainage pipes. Went for a walk yesterday and captured these pics. It's about a half mile from the end of Mesa Verde to Hwy 6. The road will intersect the Speedway overpass. In one of the pics you can see an older, abandoned house that will either be moved or demolished to make way for the road.

D_Wag97
AG
Now they need to find a way to alleviate traffic on Greens Prairie instead of just widening it (which isn't going to do a damn thing). Better road planning would have helped in the first place, but apparently that's too difficult.
carpe vinum
AG
D_Wag97 said:

Now they need to find a way to alleviate traffic on Greens Prairie instead of just widening it (which isn't going to do a damn thing). Better road planning would have helped in the first place, but apparently that's too difficult.
Just wait til they slap another 1000 homes South of Greens Prairie, and open the Kroger. It took the Hardy Plank Forest peeps, and the Castle Gaters 3 years to figure out the stop sign at GP and Arrington, it's going to get pretty sporty around there.
The Original AG 76
AG
D_Wag97 said:

Better road planning !!!!!! You serious Clark ? From the same gang that spent years putting in a light at GP and Wellborn only to tear the damn brand new intersection up before the concrete has its first stain in order to put in the needed turn lanes !!!!!!
Those idiots !!!!!
scs01
carpe vinum said:

It took the Hardy Plank Forest peeps, and the Castle Gaters 3 years to figure out the stop sign at GP and Arrington, it's going to get pretty sporty around there.
They've figured out the stop sign at GP and Arrington? News to us, given the number of near-misses we've had there in the past year!
carpe vinum
AG
Interestingly Judge Peters said today at the Economic Outlook Conference that in addition to Mesa Verde opening to Hwy 6, that Indian Lakes would also connect to Cherokee.
Ornlu
AG
carpe vinum said:

Interestingly Judge Peters said today at the Economic Outlook Conference that in addition to Mesa Verde opening to Hwy 6, that Indian Lakes would also connect to Cherokee.
I'll confirm that. The connection to Cherokee has been planned for years, but it was delayed because it includes a large bridge to get across Peach Creek Tributary 7, which required a USACE permit (404 I think).

The crappy part of the plan for the connection to Cherokee is that it gets within 100 feet of a connection to Millican Reserve, but the Indian Lakes developer will not allow Millican Reserve to connect the streets together. CoCS tried to compel him to connect, but Paul made it clear he'd fight it in court. CoCS & Millican Reserve were estimating that it would take 5+ years of lawsuits (and huge lawyer fees) to make such a connection happen. So the connection to Cherokee will only serve Indian Lakes...
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.