Wassermann v Aldrich

11,073 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Orlando Ayala Cant Read
ChampsAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Interesting information. Apparently Aldrich accepted donations from the developer of the apartment complex and then voted "Yes" in the Council meeting.

From Facebook

From The Eagle

Sad to say that many that have moved into Precinct 1 in the past year don't know all that Lloyd has done for this community.

Letters to the Editor

quote:
Only person to take steps to prevent future accidents
I am writing to pass on my sincerest wishes that Lloyd Wassermann wins his bid for re-election.
Four years ago, my daughter was involved in an auto accident that left her car stuck on the railroad tracks in the dark near Wellborn Road. The road took a turn at the tracks, but there was no signage in place to indicate this. Within seconds she and her roommate heard the sound of an approaching train and were barely able to get out of the car in time. If they'd been trapped inside, they certainly would have been killed.
I contacted several people in Brazos County with my concerns, but only one person cared enough about his constituents to visit the site and do something to prevent another accident. Minutes after speaking with me, and on his own time, he was walking the path my daughter's car had taken. Immediately after his visit, signs and a reflective center stripe were added.
That's the kind of action and dedication we all want in an elected official, but rarely find. I sincerely hope you vote to keep Commissioner Lloyd Wassermann.
CATHERINE JOHNSON
San Antonio

casserole
Would you be surprised to know this is very common place in politics? It's on an even bigger scale in DC with Congress (yes, even Flores). Imagine all the votes that are bought with campaign contributions and PAC money.
BrazosNP
quote:
Would you be surprised to know this is very common place in politics? It's on an even bigger scale in DC with Congress (yes, even Flores). Imagine all the votes that are bought with campaign contributions and PAC money.

The "because everyone is doing it" defense doesn't make it right...
oklaunion
The thing that struck me about this election is that 2 CS city councilpersons (Mayor Berry and Aldrich) are rotating off and are immediately running for another office, both precinct commissioners. Are some people so addicted to control that they have to have this in their lives? I thought it was strange that Berry's signs don't list what precinct she is running for.
skipster
Lloyd Wassermann is great man and Commissioner. His opponent's record needs to be studied. He voting record on council leaves much to be desired. Yes it is interesting how he suddenly likes development. I am not quite sure if he or his wife are running. Do not pay attention to his signs - I have several friends that ended up with his signs in their yards without permission. He is also putting signs in illegal areas but he has told others to call the city of College Station to complain. So to make this unbiassed go to www.wtaw.com and watch the BCS Chamber forum. He did not answer any of the questions and yes it is interesting how he voted on Wallace Phillips development after he gave Steve several thousand dollars.
deh40
AG
Wassermann wants to claim credit for the new Greens Prairie intersection, but that definitely is not what was going to happen until the involved neighborhoods found out what was going on months after he knew about it.
aggiegal99
I know both men through their previous involvement with CSISD. If I lived in Precinct 1, Wasserman would get my vote every single time. In fact, anyone running against Aldrich would.
TXAggie1976
AG
Aldrich is NOT rolling off the City Council. If he wins commissioner, he will then resign his Council position. If he loses Commissioner, he is still be on the City Council. Power hungry? I am wondering.
jenmarin04
AG
+1 for Wassermann
rrtodds
AG
+2 for Mr. Wassermann
PebbleCreekster
I have known Wassermann for over 40 years.....he was my coach when I lived in Brenham back in the 70's. He is an outstanding person, I can not praise him enough.

He told me a strange story, He visited with Steve about a week before the deadline to run. Steve told Loyld straight to his face that he is NOT going to run for a commissioner spot. Then the day before the deadline he filed his papers. Wassermann was caught off guard and thought no one was running against him. He had to go out and start raising money and placing signs.

Get the word out ........... there are many things in Steve's past that is just not right!!!
4ThePeopleByThePeople
On February 6th and 7th, Steve Aldrich campaigned in the neighborhood of Castle Rock. He presented to the HOA and residents that he was there to listen to concerns regarding the upcoming zoning decision and many residents welcomed his political signs in their yards. In addition to media coverage, Aldrich was made aware of the concerns through the 100s of phone calls, emails, letters, and documents sent to the Planning and Zoning Committee, City Council, City Manager, and other offices. The residents of Castle Rock were battling to hold the developer, Wallace Phillips, to zoning restrictions placed in 2008. They expressed their opposition to the rezoning and Aldrich listened.

Four days later, at the public hearing, Councilman Aldrich demonstrated his intensions very early in the discussion. His leading questions directed the developer towards the residents opposition and suggested that developers had no responsibility to be forthcoming and that the consumer should do their own research on zoning, despite what they were told by the same developer. The applicant for the developer, Joe Schultz, stated that it was the real estate agents and home builders who were "grossly misleading" the homebuyers.

Aldrich further supported his single dissenting vote in stating that a moratorium could not be placed on "appropriate development". However, less than an hour later he voted against rezoning for the exact type of development. In this rezoning case, 2 miles from Castle Rock, it was the "overwhelming resident response" that lead him to his vote.

The next day, a Castle Rock resident, who had proudly displayed an Aldrich sign in her yard, emailed Aldrich, sharing her disappointment regarding his vote and campaign in the neighborhood. It was to the point and wished him well. His response was lengthily and described his vote by saying, "It was definitely not the politically expedient thing to do but I believe that it was the right thing to do". He ended by saying, "In the end, you and I both got what we wanted. The requested modification to the PDD was denied and the need to come up with an appropriate location for this type of development was emphasized. That is fine with me and I hope that it is fine with you.".

A few days later, the Eagle published the campaign contributions and the dots began to connect. Aldrich received a sizable donation from the developer, Wallace Phillips, but received nothing from the other developer who also requested rezoning. For future reference, Aldrich's past and present campaigns are largely supported by big developers.

In the days to follow, the seemingly insensitive and condescending email response from Aldrich reached 100s of College Station residents in the Castle Rock area. Among other places, it began with Aldrich sending the email to the Castle Rock HOA. His reasons for doing so are still unclear. As of last week and one week after his dissenting vote, Aldrich's new stance is that he should have voted down the Castle Rock proposal.

When you are choosing your elected officials, I encourage you to review their tract records and the basis for their decisions. It is not one decision, but the whole of decisions that mark integrity or lack there of. There must be a consistency between what officials SAY outside the voting chambers, to the voters, and what they DO inside the chambers, to effect voters.

It is our duty to question integrity when an official votes AGAINST a moratorium on development in one case and then votes FOR a moratorium on development in the next. If you believe a particular development to be APPROPRIATE and vote as such, there is not a "need to come up with an appropriate location" when addressing a citizen after your vote. Likewise, it is inconsistent to disregard overwhelming citizen opposition and then use it as the foundation for your next vote.

As citizens, we cannot always be apart of the decision process so we have to trust and rely on the character and integrity of our elected officials. We may not always agree but we must believe in their intensions. My definition of integrity of character is what you do when no one is watching and will you keep doing it if you don't get caught.

If you are looking for a County Commissioner who is filling his pockets and who's decisions are solely based on being elected into the next seat, Aldrich is your man.

However, if you prefer a candidate who has a longstanding record of being forthcoming and honest and stands by his decisions, agreeable or not, re-elect County Commissioner Lloyd Wasserman.

aggiepaintrain
AG
I didn't read that thesis but I'll vote for wasserman
ChampsAg
tl;dr

Aldrich lied to the residents faces in a meeting. Even though he voted for rezoning, he said that they got what they wanted with it not being approved.
masteraggieaka2%ER
AG
To all Aldrich AND Wassermann supporters: VOTE and hopefully the majority will rule the day. However, the percentage of registered voters to population AND percentage of registered voters and those who actually vote are dismal in Brazos County.
rrtodds
AG
this.
aggie897
AG
After the railroad decision to close 2 crossings and open Greens Prarie, Wasserman is on the chopping block. If you drive thru Saddle Creek most homes have an Aldrich sign. I think this could be a tight race.
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
After the railroad decision to close 2 crossings and open Greens Prarie, Wasserman is on the chopping block. If you drive thru Saddle Creek most homes have an Aldrich sign. I think this could be a tight race.
what crossings are closing ? Is that a CC decision or a railroad co decision ?
Bryanisbest
AG
Wasserman is the best commissioner at the courthouse. Very responsive and dedicated. Excellent job!
aggie59
AG
Looks like the College Station city council is trying to reach it's tentacles into the control of Brazos County government, so we voted for Lloyd Wasserman!
deh40
AG
I've been to three meetings where Wassermann was present and he came off as a very grumpy old man at all of them.
wtr1975
AG
I agree with Bryanisbest. I've known Lloyd for years, beginning with his day with CSISD and through his days as my County Commussioner. Lloyd is dedicated to the County and responsive to the needs of his constituents. Steve Aldrich is also a good man, but at the end of the day if it ain't broke - why try to fix it. Lloyd Wassermann deserves our vote!!
aggieboy06
After attending all meetings on the railroad crossing debacle only to realize that a decision had been come to months before I have no trust in the commissioners. Open and honest communication is something that the commissioners court lacks. I have had the opportunity to meet Steve twice and been impressed both times. Lloyd has gotten to the point that he no longer cares about the people that he is serving and only about his own ego. Now he is touting the greens prairie trail crossing as such a great idea. We have yet to see what this is going to do to traffic from residents on the other side of the track. I know for a fact that future development was not considered when we decided to close 2 crossings and open 1.
SARATOGA
There is a tremendous misconception that something could have been done about the railroad siding the is closing 2 SaddleCreek Roads....

The railroad commission can do whatever it wants, whereever it wants plain and simple. The choice was to close the two roads for the railroad siding and get some money, or close the two roads and get no money.

Wasserman might be the fall guy, but there is nothing he could have done to change it.

It makes zero sense for the TRRC to put the siding where they are. They should put it out of town in Navasota where there is nothing. But just because they are doing something foolish, that doesn't change the fact that they can do what they want.

Wasserman is one of the few government officials I have dealt with that had any sense. I've had trouble with a county road in my area, and Wasserman solved the problem with the road easement, and followed through to make sure necessary parties were prosecuted. He solves the problems he can, and for that he gets my vote.

The only comment I've got for Alderich and the apartment thing (don't know Alderich at all), is that the only apartments in this community should be for students. And I'm pretty sure there are more than enough of those already. But I've said that before...,.

Aggie-4-Life
AG
Don't be fooled with people trying to blame Lloyd Wassermann or the other Commissioners for the closing of the two crossings. Union Pacific chose which crossings to close....period. If it wasn't for Lloyd Wassermann, the county might not have come up with the plan to put a light at Greens Prairie Trail with the help of Union Pacific, TxDOT, and now City of College Station. Imagine the two crossings being closed and residents being stuck with the stop sign on Greens Prairie Trail at that intersection the way it was. The county is spending a lot of money to help make this intersection happen. Money that could be used on roads in the other precincts, but instead Lloyd Wassermann fought for this intersection for the residents in his precinct. He has tried to make an unfortunate and inconvenient situation into a more tolerable one for his constituents.
etj77845
I have lived in Lloyd's district for over 15yrs. During this time I have found him cooperative, helpful and responsive. I have not always agreed with some of his decisions with in his precinct but find nothing to not warrant his re-election.

Much has been made on this board relative to the County-UPRR action. I too was present at a number of the community meetings. Bottom line UPRR had the right to double track a portion of their property between South Dowling and Duck Haven., with or without County participation. The only legal requirement for that the County approve closure of any existing crossing. Due to citizen input a modified plan was made to include Green's Prairie Trail crossing as an option. The GPT option included participation from TXDOT, UPRR and others to construct a safe, controlled crossing. DID I like loosing Straub- no but I also heard the UPRR rep state without any hesitation UPRR was willing to pull their offer and double track the 2 miles anyway. The County did not have the upper hand at any point.

I don't know Lloyd's opponent, but reading the money trail I wasn't impressed with his moneymen. I voted for Lloyd.

deh40
AG
The County definitely has the upper hand. Maybe not on this specific location, but UPRR is going to need cooperation from them in the future. So you leverage that when the railroad tries to strong arm you on this deal.
The problem with Wassermann was his lack of communication with the citizens about any of UPRR plans. The commissioners knew about the plans for months before the plans leaked to residents in the area. Why? You can only assume they were trying to push the UPRR plan through before anyone knew about it. The Greens Prairie intersection resulted after the residents vehemently opposed the original plan.

The new Greens Prairie intersection may or may not work out okay, but I don't know how Wassermann can claim credit for it. He failed to communicate UPRR plans to residents of his precinct and it was the objection of those residents, not him, that ultimately resulted in the new intersection.
Ornlu
AG
quote:
The County definitely has the upper hand. Maybe not on this specific location, but UPRR is going to need cooperation from them in the future. So you leverage that when the railroad tries to strong arm you on this deal.
Do you have anything to back that up? I've been involved in multiple deals with UPRR, and they strong-arm everyone at every opportunity. UPRR has owned that ROW for 145 years; those County roads haven't even been there for 50 years. UPRR has 50x more money than the County. The courts give them the benefit of every doubt. They need nothing from either City or County. In short, UPRR holds the upper hand in every negotiation.

I suspect you have no idea what you're talking about.
aggieboy06
Union Pacific does not have the authority to close a railroad crossing. Only the governing body can make this decision. Union Pacific does have the power to block a crossing for a limited amount of time but they are unable to close it.

I am not upset about the fact that a crossing is being closed and one open. I am upset about the fact that they are closing 2 crossings and opening 1. All of this was done in an underhanded way that started almost a year before any residents were notified.
etj77845
TX Transportation Code does prohibit blocking for more tan 10min but AG Abbott had opinion-that makes the statute moot, trumped by Federal Law.

TXAG

Given the AG's opinion UPRR could have blocked Straub &/Or Wade at their leisure. And FYI TXDOT not TXRRC is the regulating body for RRs.
[url=https://texasattorneygeneral.gov/opinions/opinions/50abbott/op/2005/htm/ga0331.htm][/url]
deh40
AG
quote:
quote:
Do you have anything to back that up? I've been involved in multiple deals with UPRR, and they strong-arm everyone at every opportunity. UPRR has owned that ROW for 145 years; those County roads haven't even been there for 50 years. UPRR has 50x more money than the County. The courts give them the benefit of every doubt. They need nothing from either City or County. In short, UPRR holds the upper hand in every negotiation.

I suspect you have no idea what you're talking about.

UPRR could not have closed the crossings without the commissioners blessing and admitted such at the meetings.
Ornlu
AG
UPRR merely would have had to go to court in order to close the crossing w/o commissioner's approval. In the original easement conveyance documents, they retained the right to do so. That's been UPR's standard operating procedure for 50+ years. "Needing" commissioners' approval is just a matter of convenience to avoid the delay of lawyers.

What a few of my former classmates who now work for Port of Houston are telling me is that, with the opening of the Panama Canal expansion, PoH is going to see containerized traffic throughput double or triple. They'll primarily be using the three UPR lines through Columbus, Bryan, and Willis to distribute nationwide. That means the number of trains passing through BCS is going to double or triple. That's why the additional sidings in south CS and Mumford are needed. That's also why it's a VERY good thing to get a grade separation at Greens Prairie.
Mr. Griswold
Well we aren't getting a grade separation. We're getting an at-grade crossing.
deh40
AG
quote:
UPRR merely would have had to go to court in order to close the crossing w/o commissioner's approval. In the original easement conveyance documents, they retained the right to do so. That's been UPR's standard operating procedure for 50+ years. "Needing" commissioners' approval is just a matter of convenience to avoid the delay of lawyers.

What a few of my former classmates who now work for Port of Houston are telling me is that, with the opening of the Panama Canal expansion, PoH is going to see containerized traffic throughput double or triple. They'll primarily be using the three UPR lines through Columbus, Bryan, and Willis to distribute nationwide. That means the number of trains passing through BCS is going to double or triple. That's why the additional sidings in south CS and Mumford are needed. That's also why it's a VERY good thing to get a grade separation at Greens Prairie.

That would be in direct conflict to what the county commissioners and the UPRR representative said on multiple occasions. He specifically said at several meetings that the railroad could not close a crossing without county approval, but they could still put their sidetrack. I am no expert on road construction but the intersection at Greens Prairie does not appear to be grade separated.

I was not and still am not against the new intersection. I am against the way it was handled by the county and our commissioner specifically. And then for him to try to claim it as one of his greatest accomplishments is a joke. If not for the residents of the area vehemently objecting to the original plan the railroad would have gotten a closed crossing and the sidetrack and there never would have been a new Greens Prairie intersection.
SARATOGA
I would have just loved the opportunity to ask the Railroad representatives WHY in town ?

I realize that we have no choice, and they can do whatever they want, but we at least deserve an explanation as to why that location and not south of town in Navasota where nobody would notice or care that a railroad siding was put there ?

Again, the railroad commission can do what they want. But I need an explanation. There is NOTHING next to those rail lines for 40 miles south of where they are putting the siding - why are they putting in IN TOWN ?

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.