Tell me where to buy kolaches in B/CS or Caldwell

7,149 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AggiePhil
Jim65
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Relatives coming in a week who want the best kolaches we can find. Where do you recommend?

TIA
Justified
I use to work in la grange and always brought some home on Friday after work. That might be a little far though.
armymom
Kolache Rolfs
deh40
AG
There aren't any really good ones in CS
Aggie
AG
quote:
I use to work in la grange and always brought some home on Friday after work. That might be a little far though.

Weikels in Lagrange is pretty good.
They also have a store in Burton.

Zumyakls (SP?) in Calvert is good but I believe they make have closed down.

kevmiller
quote:
Kolache Rolfs

If your guest have ever had good kolaches please don't insult them and give them kolache Rolf.

I went there one time and thought it was maybe trainee day or something.
Terrible product, way overpriced. You get like 1/4 ounce of filling and its not very good
As stated above... That place is crap.
threecatcorner
Zamykal was awesome, but they closed due to one of the owners' health problems (closed near the end of December 2014), and she passed away at the beginning of March 2015. Facebook page is still up at https://m.facebook.com/ZamykalGourmetKolaches.
AggieHank86
AG
Kolache Capital in Caldwell does not look like much, but do not be fooled. They makes very authentic kolaches. Their klobasnik are nothing special, but it is REALLY hard to find good ones.

The Slovacek folks in Snook do a good job, also.

Either would be better than Rolf's by an order of magnitude. Rolf's is to kolaches as Casa Ole is to Tex-Mex. it looks a bit like the real thing. It even tastes a bit like the real thing. But it definitely is NOT the real thing.
CrazyAgE
Yeah I would say Slovaceks over in Snook or Caldwell
EVA3
AG
I miss the old Snook bakery.
armymom
To each their own...some people prefer Shipleys kolaches, I don't! With the lines on Saturdays and Sundays at Kolache Rolfs I would say that there are people like me who does like them! Even at the Kolache festival in Caldwell I still prefer Kolache Rolfs. I guess that I don't like the authentic kind! Kinda like I prefer the blue box macaroni and cheese over homemade any day! LOL
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
not a huge fan of Kolache Rolf but like the above poster said, to each his own!

i don't think they are anywhere near the best (dont know who gets that designation), but Buccees Kolaches are pretty underrated imho. the fruit ones are pretty generous with the toppings and when warmed up they are pretty nice on a long drive.
victory
AG
quote:
Kolache Rolfs
terrible! They shouldn't even be allowed to call their product a Kolache.
ChampsAg
Drive to West
DWren
quote:
Drive to West

Ehh.. West is not bad but it's a tourist stop.
As mentioned above.. Weikels in Lagrange / Burton is by far the best around IMO.

Kolaches Rolf's... Lol terrible
GiveEmHellBill
AG
It's best not to start threads here asking where the best kolaches/Tex Mex/steaks are.

As you can see with this thread, they quickly devolve into insults and bad mouthing with very little useful information.
Birddog
AG
I just asked my co-worker about kolaches, he was born and raised in the Czech Republic,and even keeps a house there. He just kind of laughed at the question, which means there are no real/good kolaches around here. He did say if your interested he teaches a kolache baking class and the next one is March 12th, He said to check out this website for the announcement.

http://www.czechheritage.org/CountyPages/brazosvalley.html
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
What a sad person you are.
You know, you can express your opinion without insulting others.
starbuck128
AG
Kolache Rolfs has a great lunch box deal, and their sliders are delicious. I'm always surprised they don't push their lunch menu more and stay open a little later for the lunch crowd, especially at their RP Kroger location. There aren't a lot of nice deli options in south C.S.

FYI- Kolache is the plural form of the word.
deh40
AG
quote:
To each their own...some people prefer Shipleys kolaches, I don't! With the lines on Saturdays and Sundays at Kolache Rolfs I would say that there are people like me who does like them! Even at the Kolache festival in Caldwell I still prefer Kolache Rolfs. I guess that I don't like the authentic kind! Kinda like I prefer the blue box macaroni and cheese over homemade any day! LOL
I agree with your to each their own, but the lines at Rolf's could also just reflect lack of good options
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
Kolache Rolfs has a great lunch box deal, and their sliders are delicious. I'm always surprised they don't push their lunch menu more and stay open a little later for the lunch crowd, especially at their RP Kroger location. There aren't a lot of nice deli options in south C.S.

FYI- Kolache is the plural form of the word.
sort of.

As best you can render the Czech alphabet, the singular is "kolac" and the plural is "kolace"
Jim65
AG
Thanks everyone. We made a "Kolache crawl" today and decided that we like Slovacek's best. We tried Weikel's and are familiar with Rolf's.

While everyone has their opinion of the best, and we appreciate the input, we finally had to go make a run ourselves.
GSS
quote:
Thanks everyone. We made a "Kolache crawl" today and decided that we like Slovacek's best. We tried Weikel's and are familiar with Rolf's.

While everyone has their opinion of the best, and we appreciate the input, we finally had to go make a run ourselves.
The Czech ladies that helped Slovaceks get the bakery going are long gone, but their recipes live on. It's mostly about the dough!
techno-ag
AG
Slovacek's
GSS
Snook kolache lady...

"At her home in Snook, Texas, the now- 82-year-old looks at me from behind copperrimmed glasses with concentration in her dark eyes as I ask her how she first started at the bakery. "There's a secret to what you do," I say, coaxing her to find words to her beginning as a baker. She looks up and thinks for a moment and says, "Yeah there is. It's spelled l-o-v-e." She laughs then pauses, gathering her memories. "Well, we can make a batch of kolaches. How 'bout that? I do it with my grandkids all the time." It's as if the best way she's found to tell her story is to make one more batch of the delectable stuffed pastries."

Recipe is linked in the article.
ComfortAg
AG
http://www.hruskas-bakery.com/
TexasAggie_02
AG
West is good, but not great. They get all the Austin/DFW love b/c it's right next to i-35. The kolache place in downtown west is better than the one next to the highway, and it's never crowded.

Places that I like better:

• Slovacek's in Snook
  • Kolache Kitchen in Temple (also, amazing cinnamon rolls)
  • Green's in Zabcikville
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
Snook kolache lady...

"At her home in Snook, Texas, the now- 82-year-old looks at me from behind copperrimmed glasses with concentration in her dark eyes as I ask her how she first started at the bakery. "There's a secret to what you do," I say, coaxing her to find words to her beginning as a baker. She looks up and thinks for a moment and says, "Yeah there is. It's spelled l-o-v-e." She laughs then pauses, gathering her memories. "Well, we can make a batch of kolaches. How 'bout that? I do it with my grandkids all the time." It's as if the best way she's found to tell her story is to make one more batch of the delectable stuffed pastries."

Recipe is linked in the article.
That Article is from the future!!
BackwardsInBoots
AG
Kolache Capital in Caldwell
Frio Cielo
quote:
It's best not to start threads here asking where the best kolaches/Tex Mex/steaks are.

As you can see with this thread, they quickly devolve into insults and bad mouthing with very little useful information.
All I see is persons posting their thoughts on which they think is good and which is bad. I don't see any insults.

I think asking where to buy indicates wanting to know poster's preferences and dislikes.

Frio Cielo
BTW, in this issue of Texas Ride Magazine, they have an article on all of the kolaches bakeries in Central Texas with maps showing driving directions from town to town.
armymom

quote:
Quote:It's best not to start threads here asking where the best kolaches/Tex Mex/steaks are.

quote:
All I see is persons posting their thoughts on which they think is good and which is bad. I don't see any insults.

I think asking where to buy indicates wanting to know poster's preferences and dislikes.

The insulting posts were deleted. Yes, most people are kind but there was some who thought it was okay to call certain people certain unpleasant things when they didn't agree with a particular opinion!

AggiePhil
AG
Shipley for authenticity.
Aggie
AG
quote:

quote:
Quote:It's best not to start threads here asking where the best kolaches/Tex Mex/steaks are.

quote:

The insulting posts were deleted. Yes, most people are kind but there was some who thought it was okay to call certain people certain unpleasant things when they didn't agree with a particular opinion!

Some people just get their feelings hurt easily.

armymom
Some people are just easily rude!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.