You know you are from Bryan/College Station when you can remember........?

21,101 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by chipdum
AggiePhil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
And, now, I'm knotted up trying to remember where CSPD was based before the new building was built there off King Cole.

It shared the old fire station and police building next to city hall on Texas at Gilchrist. Before that, I believe it just occupied a portion of the original city hall at 101 Church.

Here's a photo from outside that police and fire building (supposedly from the 1960s), which is now used for community development offices, facilities maintenance, storage, and a city gym.

(Image courtesy of Project HOLD)

After that, it went to the current site at 2611 Texas. Here's an early photo, supposedly from the 1980s. If you look closely, you'll notice that only half of the current building is there. The second floor and front half of the building was added at some point and the original part was used for the municipal court and jail. When the new municipal court was built on Krenek Tap in the early 2000s, the PD was renovated once again. Also if you'll notice, the pond in front of the building is about twice as large in this photo as it is now. It was partially filled in to make room for the parking lot.

(Image courtesy of Project HOLD)

[This message has been edited by AggiePhil (edited 8/12/2011 10:27a).]
Mr. Palsgraf
That original building on King Cole was the police department for many years.

When they added the two story addition in 1986/87 the municipal court moved in to the old police building.

When municipal court moved out in mid 2000's the police department remodeled and once again took over the original building.

The two story section was supposed to be able to have two additional floors added to it. Building over the old lake however caused unforseen issues and adding additional floors is no longer an option.
taxpreparer
AG
quote:
I thought Keri's went in where Wings and More was. No?

Sambo's before Wing-n-More before Kerri's before (being torn down) Cain's.

AG
Who remembers Playland Park @ the corner of Texas Ave & Villa Maria?
capn-mac
Ok, so, now I'm trying to remember what was razed to put the Chilli's in--do not remember it as a great loss, but memory is like that.
Post removed:
by user
Kitten With A Whip
Capn - I remember a formalwear shop being somewhere in that area called Ladies & Lords. There were a number of other business in that building, but that is the only one I can recall at the moment.

Seems like there was an old crappy motel that was torn down somewhere along that portion of Texas Avenue, as well.
capn-mac
Kat, you may be remembering The Saber Inn, which was behind the original Grapevine, and was torn down to create the Texas Ave Taco Cabana and the restaurant--now Oceans--behind it.

L&L was probably down there, they then moved over to next to the old Murphy's location (on one side or the other of what is now Leaning Tower Pizza).

Had a rememory this afternoon of when CSPD cars were an unfortunate blue color, and the uniforms were brown. I want to remember being told the CSPD cars had been mud-brown, too.
95_Aggie
AG
mmmmm ... Country Kitchen

All you could eat CFS & catfish on Thursday nights. Gained many a college pound out there.

Shame it burned down.
Mr. Palsgraf
Capn, CSPD had cars that were baby blue in color with a silver star on the side back in the 70's and maybe into the 80's. They wore brown uniforms with cowboy hats.

They then moved to a two tone mud brown and gold with a star on the side and kept that color until about 1989 or so. They changed to blue uniforms in 1987ish.

They then went to a really dark blue color with the words "College Station Police" in white on the sides.

The next color was white with a blue stripe (that had a red stripe in it) that started out lighter blue in the front and got darker toward the back of the car. The words "College Station Police" remained on the sides. This was the last color scheme before the current black and white cars they drive.
techno-ag
AG
Remember when the A&M police drove around in those little 3 wheel trucks?
australopithecus robustus
Country Kitchen was rebuilt and subsequently in business for quite a few years before finally closing and selling its land to the state.

Why do y'all suppose so many businesses come and go in this town? Seems excessive
capn-mac
Yeah, seemed like all the PD shifted over to Navy/Black uniforms all about the same time.

"Unc' Bob" probably having the biggest local effect, getting UPS into Navy, the Security people into blue over (???), and PTTS into the old Sky Blue over blue uniforms.

Made it a lot less colorful in Sambos, or the Kettle, circa 0230-0330, though.
Snoodish
AG
WTR - when did you go to Wee Aggieland School? It was on Park Place right?
ComfortAg
AG
Been there, done that
oklaunion
Country Kitchen.
VincentBlack
A few I haven't seen mentioned:

Danver's on Dominik, next to Pepe's #2 (RIP).

Dr. T.O. Walton's office on Walton Dr and Texas... A real estate office, now.

Aggieland Schwinn behind Julie's place where Barnes/Nobles is now.

Anyone remember the name of the game store at Welsh and SW Pkwy that had all the miniatures? They were the Dungeons and Dragons hookup in the early 80's.

Homecoming bonfire (A&M Consol) in the lot where the Consol stadium is now.
carpe vinum
AG
Ate many a Danver's burger and Dr. Walton kept me alive for many years.
halibut sinclair
Danver's was so great. It was like an Arby's with beer.
wareagle044
I still see Fort Shiloh in my mind every time i drive down texas ave -- the cannon and tee pees
snaglepuss
I seem to remember a Taco Bell on Tx. Ave that had the drive though on the wrong side of the car.
Rapier108
snaglepuss said:

I seem to remember a Taco Bell on Tx. Ave that had the drive though on the wrong side of the car.
Yep, it is were Frittella now is.
ro828
A footnote to my posting from seven years ago. The Circle Drive-In Movie was greatness. In the summer of 1971 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY played there for a week. Every night at about 10:30 people would begin to gather on the lawn of the church across the street. A large collection of adults, kids, and dogs would be there to watch the last forty-five minutes of the movie. Good times. We lived at Casa del Sol and walked over with our faithful dog, Ralph, some Cokes and Doritos, and watched it every night.
Bryanisbest
AG
WSD's Department store burning down in a huge fire in downtown Bryan about 1955-57. Bryan was 2-3 X's the size of College Station.
HartHall65
AG
Hitchin Post Lounge in Bryan. "run a post pattern"
eloc62
VincentBlack said:

A few I haven't seen mentioned:

Danver's on Dominik, next to Pepe's #2 (RIP).

Dr. T.O. Walton's office on Walton Dr and Texas... A real estate office, now.

Aggieland Schwinn behind Julie's place where Barnes/Nobles is now.

Anyone remember the name of the game store at Welsh and SW Pkwy that had all the miniatures? They were the Dungeons and Dragons hookup in the early 80's.

Homecoming bonfire (A&M Consol) in the lot where the Consol stadium is now.
The A&M Consolidated bonfire back in the 70's used to be located across 2818 from the school where the Ringer library is located. Seems like i remember Bryan High burning it down when i was a freshman in '76.

Rocky Horror Picture Show movie every Friday night at Campus back in the 70's. got a little weird. people used to dress up and bring alcohol in.

Cow Hop in north gate. cow pie & fries. great burgers. Used to eat there at lunch back in the late 70's when high schools had open campus and you could leave for lunch, and maybe make it back on time.
carpe vinum
AG
Cow Hop
BryanPooch
When Grapevine moved from the Sabre Inn to it's new location, the space became Baker Street, a jazz club. Baker street later took over the space where Interurban Trolley was. That is now the first two floors of Fox & HOUND, which opened in 1994.
BryanPooch
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I remember the small town scuttle back in the 80s was that the Country Kitchen fire was intentional for insurance money. Supposedly the worst kept secret in town at the time.

Of course I don't think anyone really knows for sure.
carpe vinum
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

I remember the small town scuttle back in the 80s was that the Country Kitchen fire was intentional for insurance money. Supposedly the worst kept secret in town at the time.

Of course I don't think anyone really knows for sure.
Most of that family knows LEOs well, but I loved eating there as a kid.
chipdum
COACH BEAR BRYANT
Hi. I'm a newbie here. I lived in College Station back in the early 50's. Went to Wee Aggie Land and I think 1st and second grade. My Dad was in the Air Force and flew out of the Airforce Base in Bryan. We lived in a house on Herford St in College Station and the house was Bear Bryant's house when he was the coach there. I was recently trying to find pictures of the house using Google Maps and street view. I think it was 801 Herford, but I am not sure. Does anyone know the address where his house was. I remember the house had a full length attic and my younger brothers and I would dig through a bunch of foot lockers with football play boards of his. From the photos on Google Maps photos the house at 801 Herford looks very correct layout wise etc. Keep in mind this was 65 years or so ago. He must have moved to a different house in Bryan/College Station because he didn't leave A & M until late 1957, and we moved to El Paso before then. Thanks to anyone who has any information to help me sort this out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.