You know you are from Bryan/College Station when you can remember........?

21,081 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by chipdum
stinkerbelle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Even if you aren't actually from here, I bet some of you have been here long enough to remember some of the things that used to go on here, businesses and all sorts of things.....

There are many I can come up with....but I remember when my mom and grandma shopped at the Piggly Wiggly downtown and I also remember there was one in College Station, I think it was at 2818 and Texas Ave.
I miss the good ole days
km_2013
oh no!
Is there no escape from this ?
csagyo
Cristmas store.
Scotch
AG
Pooh's Park
Walter Skinner
Is this the new Facebook?
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
CS Piggly Wiggly was in the Gibson's shopping Center. corner of Texas and Jersey (now Bush).

It was called Redman Terrace.
rhoswen
AG
the younguns are always shocked when I point out the bars used to only serve til 1.

It's like they wonder "how did you manage?"
techno-ag
AG
This thread back in May pretty much covered them all:

http://mybcs.com/Content/Forums/Replies.aspx?pg=-1&tid=1843175
aggieann
AG
quote:
the younguns are always shocked when I point out the bars used to only serve til 1.

Or that were no bars at all until 1974ish, when Farkleberry's opened at Northgate.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Or that were no bars at all until 1974ish

Or that Brazos County used to be dry, and all the bars were across the river.
capn-mac
Hmm, Piggly-Wiggly.
In 1978 the CS one was next to K-Mart, were the CS Asian Market now is. The Bryan one was there across from What is now Luby's and was closed.

Luby's was in POM when they opened in '81.

Service Merchandise was where the Dillar's men's store is now.

I suppose it's germane that Lacks had been the CS Winn-Dixie and WorkForce Solutions is in what had been the Bryan Winn-Dixie.

Ah, and 0100 bar close? I remember Monday-Friday 1000-0000, Saturday 1000-0100, and Sunday 1200 to 0000 (or when JD got tired of being open). And you had to be sharp on buying beer at the quicky-mart before they stopped at midnight, too.
RV Ag
The Pig next to KMart? Wasn't Lewis n Coker next to KMart?
PseudonymK
AG
Hiding from my momma in the middle of the Weiner's racks.
Kitten With A Whip
I also remember Piggly Wiggly being in the KMart shopping center. There was also a TG&Y there, at some point.
95_Aggie
AG
PW was indeed next to KMart
ksevern
AG
I believe there was Piggly Wiggly in Gibsons AND at Kmart.

707 Center had some nice bars too.
Aggiefan54
Jewel T-sack it yourself cheap groceries. In the little center just north of Luby's. There was also a small video store in the same center which had a special room full of XXX videos for rent.

The disco nightclub above the Doux Chene apartments office.

Blinn College in the Woodstone Center.

The massage parlors and related adult entertainment on Hwy 6 south of College Station.
capn-mac
Jewel T moved in, in 83 or so, and it was into the old PW location. Would be near the lime Luby's went to the freestanding location there from from Yesterday's.

Actually, I thing the Video store you are remembering was next to the old Post Office next to Victor's Boots--just down from Community CableVision. Midwest Cable was across the street and down past Dunn (that building was recently renovated and has a "Compuvision" sign or some such).

But, I remember when Sears was in Townshire, before Blinn moved in. JC Penny and Montgomery Wards were in Manor East Mall (now razed and become Tejas Center).

Ok, having a moment. Redmond Terrace was the PO where Pier 1 is now*; Can't remember if ther ewas a PO in Townshire (can remember Triple C Sporting Goods); was the PO on Cavit next to where the Kroger used to be. But, I cannot remember the name of the one there by Victor's.

Luby's was never in the mall. There was a Wyatt's in the mall. It was just like Luby's though.
slsorrel
The disco club at Doux Chene was called Uncle Charlies
nanaof4
Yep all these have been covered before...so here we go again...lol
Moscin
AG
Bryan PW was in the building where Aaron Rents is; across from Victor's Boots. I remember Townshire being the place to go. Jarrot's Pharmacy, Woolworth in downtown...wow fun times
RumRunner
OK, STOP, stop now -- it's all been done over and over and over and over and over! I demand an immediate cease and desist on all "Remember When..." threads or I'm calling Dimension 3 News to investigate the source of the rogue thread and have his or her transcripts released!

[This message has been edited by RumRunner (edited 8/6/2011 11:33a).]
Aggiefan54
justcallmeharry
S
Brookshire Bros. Groceries was in Remond Terrace Center, so was Gibsons. That center was owned by the Redmonds.

Yeppers, been down this thread before.

Harry...
SA-AG72
AG
East Gate Lounge in CS and Cajun We No Tell in Bryan on Hwy 6 north of town

Peanut Gallery
Ralphs Pizza
$lut Hut
Taste Freeze
Circle Drive Inn
Skyway Drive Inn
Campus Theater

[This message has been edited by SA-AG72 (edited 8/6/2011 3:15p).]
DisneyFan5
There used to be a Luby's at POM down by JC Penneys. It closed around 1998. I used to take my boys there when they were little and then go play at the new tree playground area in the food court.
mason12
AG
quote:
Is this the new Facebook?

I was thinking the same thing. I got a facebook group request that had the same title but it was for my high school and I clicked and it was full of people who graduated 30+ years ago and I graduated 3 years ago.
AggiePhil
AG
Luby's was in Yesterday's before moving to where it is now?

The old Wyatt's in the mall sat empty but still looking the same for years and years--up to just a few years ago. They'd use it for seasonal stores (Halloween stores and such) but never really change most of the interior. I think they finally did though.
TheMathGuy
I remember we had 6 or 7 movie theater's in town and two were drive in's!
They are all closed now but can you name them? or remember where they were?

Sponsor Message: James Speer | Mathnasium of BCS | www.Mathnasium.com | 979-774-2939 | “We Make Math Make Sense!”
DisneyFan5
Aggie Phil,

It was a Luby's. I was very friendly with the people that worked there and some of them moved to the other Luby's on Texas.

AggiePhil
AG
Alright, thanks. It was long since closed before I moved here in 2000.

[This message has been edited by AggiePhil (edited 8/6/2011 10:26p).]
GoneGirl
AG
We accidentally set the old drive in that used to be where Blinn is now on fire.
RumRunner
One drive-in was where the used-to-be Skagg's Alpha Beta - Albertson's complex is on University and South College. Another drive-in was where the Schulman - Blinn College campus is on 29th Street. Too bad we've globally warmed-up the environment that going to a drive-in would be a nightmare this time o'year....
TheMathGuy
Wasn't there also one by poohs park? (Now HobbyLobby)
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.