Does Brazos County have the ugliest courthouse in Texas?

10,024 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by wahoo
earwigfly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who designed that eyesore, anyway? A strip mall developer?
carpe vinum
AG
Bulldozed this:

ScottBowen
AG
Post removed:
by user
techno-ag
AG
The one in Mt. Pleasant (Titus Co.) is generally regarded as the ugliest. Built in 1962.

http://www.texasescapes.com/EastTexasTowns/Mount-Pleasant-Titus-County-Courthouse-Texas.htm

[This message has been edited by techno-ag (edited 8/12/2010 10:20a).]
AgDotCom
I agree, it looks bad. But it was built in the 1950s with the prevailing design influences of that day. Go to Tennessee and look at some of Elvis Presley's Cadillacs....they look horrid now but pretty sweet to the culture at that time, I'm sure, when they rolled off the assembly line.

A&M's buildings reflect the rapid expansion of the school in the 70's, a terrible time for architectural trends as well. No big deal, we're just stuck with bad timing as a lot of places are.

I love the old courthouses, but bear in mind some aren't too functional either. At the one in Milam County, you have to duck to avoid hitting your head when you go down the stairs to the county clerk's office.

[This message has been edited by AgDotCom (edited 8/12/2010 10:21a).]
RumRunner
The courthouse was designed by Caudill, Rowlett & Scott (CRS) in 1955... I believe they are the same firm who designed A&M Consol. Originally it was a mid-century modern design, but over the years it has been expanded into the unsightly behemoth that we see today.
Doc Brown
You should be more concerned with what goes on inside of a courthouse than what it looks like on the outside.
OnlyANobody
IMO, one of the most beautiful, inside and out:

Coryell County
(Stole your link, WhiskeyCharlie, for a better image)

[This message has been edited by OnlyANobody (edited 8/12/2010 11:06a).]
WhiskeyCharlie
I've always liked the one in Jourdanton (Atascosa County)
Kitten With A Whip
I've always liked the Lee County [Giddings] courthouse.

Newbomb_Turk
Grimes County courthouse in Anderson:

Naveronski
AG
Yeah, Bryan's looks like ass.
Ron Burgundy
Very stupid not to at least save it for a museum or something. The one now looks awful.
Stupe
S
I was going to comment on Grimes County. They did a complete overhaul on that thing in the mid/late 90's and it looks great.
LandscapeChick
http://www.texascourthousetrail.com/erath/Erath-County-Courthouse-001.jpg

Stephenville's is pretty...

ETA - Dang I thought I had figured out how to put up a picture!!!

[This message has been edited by AgChick10 (edited 8/12/2010 1:12p).]
LandscapeChick
http://www.texascourthousetrail.com/erath/Erath-County-Courthouse-001.jpg

ETA - Had to try again , dangit

[This message has been edited by AgChick10 (edited 8/12/2010 1:14p).]
95_Aggie
AG
I tried but your link seems to be incorrect

[This message has been edited by AGnCS (edited 8/12/2010 1:41p).]
GoneGirl
AG
capn-mac
Lee Co is nice, especially now that they have moved the court functions into the old church, and the Tax office into the old clinic. Let's them focus on using the building more as an office and historical space.

Our Courthouse reflects its use as a court and detention facility--hard to "purdy" that up, really.

For a similar sort of contrast, you need only go to Dallas and compare old "Big Red" and the County Court building.

Occupational hazard of my occupation just not being around
duffelpud
AG
I'm partial to the one from meus vetus domus.

ro828
In an ugly contest the courthouse in Bellville would hold its own. It's all right angles, just like the one in Brenham.

Maybe it's a good thing that you don't really get a good look at the Bryan courthouse, since it's not placed on the courthouse square the way it is in most small towns.

The appearance of the building IS important. Like schools and churches, it's a reflection of the community and states to the world that this is an important building.
duffelpud
AG
I doubt we could reconstruct the old one, but we could always wrap the new one...

mymainname3
I dont have a picture of Madison County, but I have always thought they had the ugliest in Texas. It is horrible. Anyone want to post a pic if they have one?
Mr. Griswold
And Brazos County just keeps pouring more and more money into the current monstrosity. Like trying to make a racehorse out of a jackass.
aggielawyer96
AG
I was hoping part of the work being done would include a facelift, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The George Allen courthouse in Dallas had a similar feel, and when they added on a few years ago they updated the facade. It is still a modern style but it looks much better, IMO.
Doc Brown
quote:
I doubt we could reconstruct the old one, but we could always wrap the new one...
That is absolutely terrible. Did you use paint to do that?
Rex Racer
AG
Bryan cannot have the ugliest because that dubious distinction goes to the Austin County Courthouse in Bellville. I wish the old one had not burned in the late 50's.
2001AggieDJ
AG
I grew up with this one. Maybe is isn't the best there is, but a pretty dang good one.

Denton County
20ags08
AG

Bell County

[This message has been edited by 20ags08 (edited 8/12/2010 8:40p).]
logicalsprocket
from this:

to this:

Captn_Ag05
AG
Hardin County

techno-ag
AG
LOL. I'm going to have to put Hardin Co.'s on the top of the list after seeing that pic. Dude! That is one ugly building. I mean it takes the cake in terms of ugliness. Thanks for sharing. I'll probably see that in my sleep now.
Timmy OToole
Good Lord the buildings of the 50's and 60's sucked. Greatest generation my ass...
DoubleTap45
Old, architecturally pleasing courthouses may be less than ideal functionally but at least they're nice to look at / historically interesting.

On the other hand, modern courthouses may be less attractive but at least (you would think) they should be more functional - plenty of space, good infrastructure, comfortable on the inside.

Brazos County's is neither. It's an antiquated eyesore of three or four separate buildings morphed together in the 80's. It leaks when it rains, sewage (or something??) from the jail floor runs to the lower floors, it's been found to be full of asbestos. The courtrooms are too small. Halls are crammed full of storage boxes as the offices are bursting with staff. A few old benches and a couple of round formica tables are all you get to fight over while you wait for your jury summons; many people have to sit on the floor. The parking is supposed to be fixed soon but currently that's a joke. They won't tear it down but they will spend money to try to renovate it yet again. But the county does have a great new "expo center."

Oh, and just this summer it was discovered that the building may not have been properly rebuilt in the 80s, so giant 13,000-pound blocks may fall off it at any time. So now WJB is funneled down to one lane where it passes the courthouse to protect passing vehicles from being crushed!

That takes "ugly" to a whole new level.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.