To parents of ADHD kids

7,669 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Builder93
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Was making A's in classes I loved and could hyper focus (history, A&P, science, etc) but sucking wind in the ones I hated.
this is true of like 90% of people
double b
AG
Thank you, I will look into this book and I appreciate you sharing your experiences.

As a family, we're not considering meds anymore. He's much happier, and when subjects do appeal to him, our son is much more involved in classroom discussions. The most recent uppage in meds made him more subdued and quite frankly, removed any sort of personality from him. So we're done. In the earlier grades, the meds help with the hyperactivity and allowed him to focus on his school work. However, the volume of school work has significantly increased since he is in all pre-AP courses. He struggles with time management and remembering assignments, and other tasks that require executive function type of skills.

We're searching for someone who can counsel him, help him see the bigger picture of school and academic success, and help him develop his executive function skills. Also, through this process, we've learned that he excels at completing his work when he has a "body double," someone that can be there with him.

I received a name of a counselor with experience working with ADHD kids. We're hoping that this will yield some success.
Builder93
AG
I wish you well finding someone. It is hard to find someone who will take time and not just medicate and move on.

One thing I have learned about almost all ADHD types: diet is super important. Go low inflammation---low carb, zero sugar, etc. 'Eat real food' in a nutshell. It's difficult to make the change but the rewards are worth it.
BluHorseShu
AG
Builder93 said:

I was diagnosed with ADD at 49 years old. My ex wife had always said I had it and she finally convinced me to get tested. The local psychologist said I had it and my doctor gave me meds. It helped me focus like crazy but something still didn't seem right to me. I read Dr. Amen's book 'Healing ADD Revised Edition: The Breakthrough Program that Allows You to See and Heal the 7 Types of ADD'.

This book made me question what I had been told about myself so I went to his clinic and got my brain scanned. I had Complex PTSD, not ADD. I now know why I was so anxious when sitting still. The symptoms looks like ADD but it's actually past trauma manifesting in the present (Dad was an alcoholic when I was growing up). Motion keeps me at peace. Stillness allows raised activity in my amygdala.(fight or flight center).

Dr. Amen is a celebrity doc and it can seem that his goal is to make lots of money, and it may partially be (who doesn't want that) but I have met him and a few of his doctors. They are genuinely focused on healing people's brains through more than just medication. I would strongly recommend looking into their services if you have kids on meds. At least read the book. It clarifies the different types of ADHD they see in brain scans and it helps get to the root cause of the symptoms. It changed my life.

Correction: I mistakenly wrote hypothalamus. I should have said amygdala.
Glad it helped you. But people should certainly research this guy and his methods. Most insurance doesn't cover these expensive scans and it's a little concerning all of the other things he markets such as special supplements that stop Alzheimer's. In the end, ADD/ADHD is a real thing and data shows the success of medication along with learning coping mechanisms.
Builder93
AG
BluHorseShu said:

Builder93 said:

I was diagnosed with ADD at 49 years old. My ex wife had always said I had it and she finally convinced me to get tested. The local psychologist said I had it and my doctor gave me meds. It helped me focus like crazy but something still didn't seem right to me. I read Dr. Amen's book 'Healing ADD Revised Edition: The Breakthrough Program that Allows You to See and Heal the 7 Types of ADD'.

This book made me question what I had been told about myself so I went to his clinic and got my brain scanned. I had Complex PTSD, not ADD. I now know why I was so anxious when sitting still. The symptoms looks like ADD but it's actually past trauma manifesting in the present (Dad was an alcoholic when I was growing up). Motion keeps me at peace. Stillness allows raised activity in my amygdala.(fight or flight center).

Dr. Amen is a celebrity doc and it can seem that his goal is to make lots of money, and it may partially be (who doesn't want that) but I have met him and a few of his doctors. They are genuinely focused on healing people's brains through more than just medication. I would strongly recommend looking into their services if you have kids on meds. At least read the book. It clarifies the different types of ADHD they see in brain scans and it helps get to the root cause of the symptoms. It changed my life.

Correction: I mistakenly wrote hypothalamus. I should have said amygdala.
Glad it helped you. But people should certainly research this guy and his methods. Most insurance doesn't cover these expensive scans and it's a little concerning all of the other things he markets such as special supplements that stop Alzheimer's. In the end, ADD/ADHD is a real thing and data shows the success of medication along with learning coping mechanisms.

You clearly don't know what he's written. He does use medication when appropriate but has also discovered that the misuse of medication can make ADHD worse in some cases. My own example proved it. While I could concentrate like crazy when on ADHD meds, I also became depressed and suffered from significant insomnia. He does a lot of work with trauma, anxiety, and CTE as well as ADHD. I don't think he ever claims to stop Alzheimer's but he does talk about slowing it down or taking steps to avoid it through better habits.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.