Police everywhere - Hwy 6

2,710 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by mazag08
aggie1991
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
I can drive 80 and still drive safely.

this careless attitude will change .... if and when you have lost a loved one or friend to a driver of a fatal crash going 80 miles an hour.... both the male driver and one of my best friends died because of HIS stupidity!! You MUST ask yourself... "is it truly worth the risk on any road or highway?"
mazag08
AG
I remember a couple of years ago a bunch of students died on HW6 in different incidents. One was a kid going home for break and ran into some idiot who was trying to cross the road between traffic.

What I love is when a cop is driving down HW6 in the 70mph part and he is going about 50. Everyone comes speeding up to him and then they drive 50 too, thinking they will get pulled over if they go faster. Really jams up HW6. but it does cut down people going 90 - 100mph.
Humorous Username
AG
Where exactly along that 7 mile stretch have the most fatalities occured, and why?
slyk
Somewhat similar story relating to people not wanting to pass a cruiser. In some states it is illegal to pass in the right lane. Heard stories of cops purposely driving slow in the left lane tempting drivers to pass in the right lane, only to get a ticket for doing such.
FortySomethingAg
DaPersian,

I read your post right after reading the previous 4-5 posts. I credited you with a tone that you did not intend. My bad.

I don't have numbers but there have been many deaths on that road the last 20+ years. My brother in law was an EMT out of Millican. I heard many stories about people fried in their cars.
555-PINF
HU-
The worst part, I'd imagine, would be from the Navasota River to just north of what is now Dynalloy. Off the top of my head, I can think of three acquaintences who were killed or were involved in fatality wrecks on that stretch of road.

The now torn-down Handi-Plus Chevron was a big factor. Lots of 18-wheelers parked on the side of the highway blocking sightlines, cars on the highway driving way too fast in that straight, open stretch, and people pulling out of the Chevron assuming that the approaching traffic would move over to the next lane for them.
BQ_90
AG
quote:
getting robbed blind by cops in a speed trap is an even dumber idea

Knowing your speeding through a speed trap is even dumber. Stupid people deserve getting ticketed.

Just slow the eff down, are you really going save that much time getting to where you are going by having to do 70 mph through that construction zone.

555-PINF
Also, for the person whining about the cops "playing games" and driving slow in the fast lane...

I drive 6 between Navasota and CS every day (usually twice and sometimes three times a day). Even before the construction started on that stretch, it was rare to see a cop driving slow in the fast lane. I'll admit that you'd find some idiot doing it from time to time in the past, but I have yet to see it now that construction is going on. Everyone knows that stretch of 6 is dangers - there are road conditions that throw people off and the cops simply want people to slow down. About 75% of the time I see cops without someone already pulled over, they're stationary on the side of the road. The other times, they're doing 55mph in the fast lane so they can safely make a u-turn to run down a speeder going in the opposite direction.

Also, my old question still stands. How many people have been killed since the speed limit dropped to 55mph? Even if it is just a money grab, as some of y'all claim, has the increased enforcement not slowed people down and saved lives?
555-PINF
One more thing...

I see the term "speed trap" being thrown around. How is this stretch of 6 a speed trap? Not only are their 55mph signs posted all along that stretch (as well as warning signs that the speed limit is going to drop by 15mph), but there are HUGE flashing signs that say "SPEED LIMIT 55MPH" and "SPEED LIMIT STRICTLY ENFORCED" before you get into that zone. Plus, there are radar trailers at both ends of the construction that show you how fast you're going.

If someone is still dumb enough to speed even after the state has done all of that to warn them that there are going to be cops ahead, then they deserve everything they get and then some. The minimum fine in that construction zone is something like $500 with no defensive driving - is it really worth that to show what a badass driver you think you are and that you can do 80 while everyone else is doing 55? On top of that, do the math at the time you save doing 15 over for 7 miles. You're only talking about a minute or two. It's just not worth it.
555-PINF
http://209.189.226.235/stories/092906/local_20060929001.php
quote:
"Speed has been a factor in every accident that I have been aware of out there," Brazos County Sheriff Chris Kirk said after the meeting. "If we can reduce the speed of people traveling that road, I think we will be successful in reducing the deaths and injuries."

quote:
The meeting, which included representatives from the Texas Department of Transportation, or TxDOT, the Texas Department of Public Safety, the Brazos County Sheriff's Office and the construction company working on the road, was organized by state Sen. Steve Ogden, R-Bryan, as a reaction to a fiery Sept. 15 accident that killed four people on the highway.

The wreck, which one Department of Public Safety trooper said was the worst he had seen in his 30-year career, was followed eight days later by a four-vehicle accident that injured seven. The two accidents were less than a mile apart.

The stretch of Texas 6 where changes will be made has long been considered dangerous - it inspired a now-defunct Web site, www.highway6kills.com, devoted to its dangers. Ogden said he has been working on improving the road for nearly 10 years.

http://209.189.226.235/region/localregional/030104fatalaccident.php
quote:
“ Anytime we hear anything that comes in south of F.M. 159, we know it’s going to be bad,” South Brazos County Volunteer Fire Chief Emily Staples said of the deadly stretch of road which has been the scene for many fatal accidents over the years.

quote:
Staples said the stretch of Texas 6 has been among the deadliest in the county and will remain dangerous until the state can get a concrete barrier installed to divide the lanes. That may not be too far away, she said, because the Texas Department of Transportation is scheduled to begin getting the contracts for the project in order this fall.

“ We’ve just had so many bad accidents out there,” she said.

http://209.189.226.235/stories/100606/local_20061006005.php
quote:
Ogden has worked for a decade to improve safety on Texas 6. During that time, 30 fatal accidents have occurred in the area, he said. The senator called a meeting last month at which transportation and law enforcement officials deemed it necessary to lower the speed limit.

quote:
"The statistics are clear. Excessive speed is a factor in these accidents," he said. "It's not us against them. I hope people will appreciate what we're trying to do. We need their cooperation. I expect once they know what the stakes are out here, they'll voluntarily comply."
W
AG
there was a minivan/SUV rolled over in the ditch at highway 6 and FM 2154 at about 1pm on Sunday. It looks like they took that turn from the FM to highway 6 southbound a little too fast
mazag08
AG
quote:
Also, for the person whining about the cops "playing games" and driving slow in the fast lane...

And my original post..

quote:
What I love is when a cop is driving down HW6 in the 70mph part and he is going about 50. Everyone comes speeding up to him and then they drive 50 too, thinking they will get pulled over if they go faster. Really jams up HW6. but it does cut down people going 90 - 100mph.

Assuming you were talking about me, you really need to read before your criticize. First of all, it was not whining. It was an observation. Read the whole post and you will see that I am for the purpose behind it. Then you go our of your way to misquote me. I never said they "played games."

Maybe it didnt come across right. I meant it to say that it is funny how people react when they see cops. By people being stupid about it, they jam up the roads. It was not meant as a knock on the cops. Some people on here are so high on defending the law that they think everything is meant as a negative slant.
mazag08
AG
And if you werent referring to my post then I stand corrected. Either way, no offense was taken.. just wanted to clear things up.
555-PINF
Sorry. My bad.
quote:
What I love is when a cop is driving down HW6 in the 70mph part and he is going about 50.
Sounded really sarcastic to me. I apologize for taking it the wrong way.
mazag08
AG
No prob
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.