Outdoors
Sponsored by

Recommendation for a middle of week vacation in Texas

2,226 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by putu
Old_Ag_91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey outdoors, I trust you more than any on these kind of topics. I don't post much here but I lurk a lot . If you guys have any suggestions for me and my significant other to just go somewhere to get away from work during the middle of the week (in say October) please let me know. I have been working nonstop all year (my boss said Jim, you need to take more time off, haha) and need a place to go and just enjoy the peace and beauty of Texas. Small shops and antiques or craft shops (maybe some good fishing??) and decent places to eat are also a hope if you have a suggestion. Trying to avoid crowds but anything is appreciated. Much respect.
JB!98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gruene or go to Concan and float the river. The water should still be good and the way our temps are going it should be just about right.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
Old_Ag_91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thank you JB love this idea, putting it on the topic for discussion with my real "boss".
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fredericksburg
Old_Ag_91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BQ_90 said:

Fredericksburg
thanks BQ 90, I told my other boss this was likely a good place to try but you just reinforced it.. hopefully she will approve my agenda, haha. Thank you!
SteveBott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The beach. Especially in off season. Surfside has beach homes 100 feet from the water.
Old_Ag_91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks Steve, I also thought of the beach. Great idea. Plus I haven't seen my real boss in a bikini in while. You sir are a scholar and a saint.
SteveBott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Where in all hell did you said you were taking your boss?

And when did you mention the boss was a woman?

Now I'm intrigued.
Old_Ag_91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well technically my boss who is over me where I work ( preface to say I'm not bragging it's a hard job but I work remote and am the only one in North America that does what I do for a global electrical equipment company and no I won't say who it is) said I don't take any time off and I need to take a vacation. Haha. But my REAL boss is who I'm taking with me cause well if I don't she'll kill me and she hasn't had one in a while either. I know it's convoluted sorry if I mislead in anyway. Haha. She was like if we don't take a vacation soon I'm going without you "wink wink nod nod". So here I am..
thanks again Steve!
SanAntoneAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll second the beach. Rockport or Port A.
Old_Ag_91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks SanAntoneAg, I was leaning that way maybe start or finish with the beach after Fredericksburg.
SteveBott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OK that makes sense. My Boss and I just came back from 10 days on an Alaska cruise. Highs in the 50's in August were a blessing.

I've been to Surfside many times. It's the almost only beach you can rent a beach house on the water and it great, with or without kids. Just rent a half mile left of the bridge. No driving on those beaches. (If that law is still in effect).
Old_Ag_91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thank you Steve! Really appreciate the help. Thanks for the advice. I really wanna go to the beach either beginning or end of the week (bikini added bonus haha).
fullback44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Port Arthur and Beaumont … lots of fishing
Old_Ag_91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks fullback, honestly I was gonna try and sneak some fishing in… shhhh. Still gonna see what I can get in(she kinda likes it but kinda doesn't sooo….)..
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fredericksburg is good during the mid week but will be very crowded on the weekends.
My wife and I really like getting a cabin in Broken Bow, Oklahoma. Located in the Ouachita and Kiamichi mountains, it's just three hours from Dallas. They have some cool high end cabins and it should be in the mid 80's or less as highs in early October.
Lots to do there and not crowded during the week. Beavers Bend State Park, Broken Bow Lake, and the lower Mountain Fork River ( noted for its trout fishing) are beautiful areas.
Also nearby Hochatown has lots of restaurants and bars and live music.
It's a really nice couples getaway destination.
TAMU Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences

Boat racing is like a beautiful woman.......expensive, high maintenance, but well worth the fun!
SGrem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a VRBO beach house available in Sargent with a fishing pier right on the ICW just down from Caney Creek.

Sargent is a fishing escape. Not much else there. But the escape is quiet and you are truly away. Nobody goes THRU Sargent. You onlu go TO Sargent. But it is the best view on the coast with some of the best fishing opportunities right out the back door.

Secondly you can charter me to take yall out on the boat for fishing, bird watching, dolphin, dinner cruising you name it. We can board the boat right at my dock so you dont have to worry about driving. Can boat yall up to a restaurant then enjoy some wine watching the sunset.

It is 100% kick back, stay in, and relax with no plans because there is no hustle or bustle around. Great escape destination.
Www.gowithgrem.com
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BQ_90 said:

Fredericksburg


This. Go rent a cabin in the area and don't do a damn thing but the wife all week. Disconnect and take it easy.
Mas89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Another vote for Fredericksburg. The beach is hot, sandy, salty, and there are no shade trees. Overrated.
While in Fredericksburg, must walk to the top of Enchanted Rock, go to Castell for a beer and burger and fish in the Llano River, check out the small shops and restaurants in Llano and Mason. Just being in small towns around the hill country is relaxing for me.
combustion artist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Grem
Do you have a link to your Vrbo?
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
F-Burg is OK but so touristy now. It's basically designed around this exact concept of older couples (or packs of middle age women) though so it probably works.

My thought would be something different: Alpine tx or Fort Davis, maybe drive over to Marfa or day trip down to Big Bend.

If you want really quiet you can get a place just about anywhere in the hill country north and west of San Antonio on or near a river and relax and visit the surrounding towns. They will all have a few nice restaurants and resale shops and craft places.
Junction71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Come to Junction and rent one of Nol Dear's cabins up on the South Llano River, a totally beautiful area with no crowds and mostly just have the river and scenery all to yourself. And, if you want to drive to Fredericksburg for a day trip it is not too far. Eat at Lum's BBQ.
SGrem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
combustion artist said:

Grem
Do you have a link to your Vrbo?


Message me.
7won3
Ate1niner
6to3too
Www.gowithgrem.com
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm going to go against the grain here on Fredericksburg. Wife and I lived on our ranch west of Fredericksburg for 29 years till moving to the Ozarks in 2020.
Fredericksburg was our "go to" town for groceries at the HEB, church, our doctors, ranch supplies, auto and tractor parts etc.
We also always had out of town guest that always wanted to go spend a day in Fredericksburg….so we spent lots of time there.
Being raised in a family that spoke mainly German growing up, I enjoyed talking to the old locals in "Sprechen sie Deutsch" in my limited German.
It was a quaint German town with some good restaurants, ranchers and rural based businesses.
All that has changed over the last 10-12 years.
With the influx of the myriad of wineries and breweries it has become nothing more than a destination for yuppies from Austin and San Antonio.
The shops sell touristy trinkets and clothes for exorbitant dollars. Most of the old traditional restaurants have become crazy expensive and to me the food isn't that good anymore. jmo
It's not unusual to pay $35.00 for a t-shirt that says "Fredericksburg" on it or a "Wilkhommen" coffee mug for the same.
Going to the wineries on a bus and spending the day "wine tasting" while each winery puts a sales pitch on you to buy a bottle of their wine is the norm.
If drinking, eating, walking and shopping in touristy shops, surrounded by tu t-shirt fans is your thing, then it is a great destination.
Albeit there are some cool things there like the National Museum of the Pacific War, the flight line Cafe at the airport, and Texas Jacks Wild West Outfitter ( Retail outlet for Cimarron Arms)….but don't know if the wife would be too interested.
Heck…I would chose going with Grem over Fredericksburg these days hands down.
TAMU Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences

Boat racing is like a beautiful woman.......expensive, high maintenance, but well worth the fun!
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Making me homesick my friend.
TAMU Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences

Boat racing is like a beautiful woman.......expensive, high maintenance, but well worth the fun!
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This.
TAMU Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences

Boat racing is like a beautiful woman.......expensive, high maintenance, but well worth the fun!
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I read the qualifications and I choose to ignore them.

Cabo. Stay at Le Blanc. Go fishing and chill by the pool for a couple days. Food is great and the flights are quick and usually pretty cheap. Pretty dang nice to sit in the pool with a cold beverage and with your lady of choice watching the whales breach down below you a couple hundred yards out in the ocean.
S.A. Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anywhere where you can sit on the beach with your favorite cold beverage and maybe fishing pole.
PS. Can I go with?
Old_Ag_91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks MouthBQ!
Old_Ag_91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks Gunny!
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
blackgoldag11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Middle of the week? If you don't do fredricksburg you are doing it wrong. Great place at that time as there is no one there and you can actually enjoy all it has to offer which is a lot. Booze, great food, shopping, etc.
Old Town Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bandera!
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TAMU Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences

Boat racing is like a beautiful woman.......expensive, high maintenance, but well worth the fun!
Jetty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We LOVE Port Aransas in October. We go Tuesday to Friday. Rent a golf cart, make a beverage and cruise the beach!
Page 1 of 2 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.