Outdoors
Sponsored by

Help me choose a gun

2,431 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Mr. Dubi
Texaspainter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In true Texags fashion...... You need to add a thermal scope for the perfect dillo setup!!!!
EFE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Savage FVSR- $250-300
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/rifles/savage-mark-ii-fv-sr-matte-blued-black-bolt-action-rifle-22-long-rifle-21in/p/1294495?srsltid=AU7gw4UccAoAeshtKpEx00EyvYSDhGT0RQQBu9vHdaDsKAwJSvw-H7n6

Lyman Scarv can- $199
https://www.lymanproducts.com/skarv-22

Burris drop tine 3-9 with 22 bdc reticle- $140
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1548120953?pid=120953

Feed it CCI standard velocity 40gr and it'll be a very fun and quiet shooter
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Second this recommendation, I have this B Series FV SR in .22 Mag with a SiCo Sparrow and absolutely love that gun and can combo. It's a shooter for sure! Stays in my pickup at all times.

OP, buy with confidence!
Hook63
How long do you want to ignore this user?


Feed it CCI standard velocity 40gr and it'll be a very fun and quiet shooter
[/quot

Does standard velocity break the sound barrier? It was my understanding that if it does it has the loud crack even with a suppressor.
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hook63 said:



Feed it CCI standard velocity 40gr and it'll be a very fun and quiet shooter
[/quot

Does standard velocity break the sound barrier? It was my understanding that if it does it has the loud crack even with a suppressor.


NM, I stand corrected. Though std velocity can still go supersonic with a longer barrel.
CactusThomas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No. Standard velocity is subsonic.
CactusThomas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry I don't know how I replied to the wrong guy
EFE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've never had a standard velo jump supersonic out of my fvsr with the can on. And that's through dry cold nights to hot af and humid days. I don't think the 16.5in barrel can get there, or at least not without the right conditions which I haven't experienced in the 10 years with my set up.
Mr. Dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Up to 22" barrel (the longest 22 I own) CCI SV remains below 1080 fps. In shorter barrels3-4" it is louder due to unburnt powder at muzzle velocities as low as 850 fps.

My recommendation for the original question is M&P 15-22 pistol (8" barrel) or carbine (16" barrel), or 10/22. I find the 15-22 more reliable without tuning, and the magazines are easier to load. Bolt gun would be Ruger American, or CZ457 if you can pick up the American model on the cheap.

Get a cheap silencer, as they all perform pretty much the same. What the extra money gets you is exotic materials and reduced first round pop, which is not that big a deal for most people.

Optic- get a Primary Arms Classic red dot, or an economy rimfire scope.

Here's Dubi's 15-22p with $200 HTA silencer. This is a registered SBR. The Aimpoint H2 doesn't work any better than the PA Classic red dot



And my CZ457 which slightly exceeds the $600 budget


Refresh
Page 2 of 2 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.