Outdoors
Sponsored by

Help me choose a gun

2,430 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by Mr. Dubi
tu ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need a new .22 for armadillo hunting in the back yard. Will need a suppressor on it too. Thinking all in below $600. Preferably with a subsonic round as well.
Make some suggestions please.
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All in with suppressor under $600? With an optic on it or open sights? Not sure that is doable.
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, the suppressor alone could be close to $600
Koko Chingo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For around $600 with a red dot (minus suppressor) a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 is just a really fun gun to shoot. It doesn't matter if you are a seasoned pro or new shooter. Its just fun.
CactusThomas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Throw caution in the wind.

Savage/Bushnell from Academy
Solvent trap from?? Temu?
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Koko Chingo said:

For around $600 with a red dot (minus suppressor) a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 is just a really fun gun to shoot. It doesn't matter if you are a seasoned pro or new shooter. Its just fun.

Yeah, that was going to be my rec with a 3x prism or red dot on it. Cheapest 22 LR suppressor I saw was $299 by itself.
Caladan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Get a Savage Arms FV-SR MKII with a threaded barrel. Since it seems that noise suppression might be of great importance to you, a suppressed bolt-action will make the least noise. You should be able to find these under $300, and you might be able to find a used one under $200. A .22lr suppressor should run between $200 and $300, if you can find a retailer that has them in stock. A cheap scope suitable for a rimfire rifle shouldn't be hard to find. A setup like this will maximize your accuracy and minimize your noise.

A place to quickly check prices is gun.deals.com.

C
CactusThomas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a FV-SR. The stock is so poorly designed, it's laughable. Hopefully there are cheaper upgrades these days. Mine required EGW bottom metal and a Boyds stock. It's better now.

The OEM stock has the cheek weld section cut for iron sights, which is cool except that the FV-SR has a pic rail and no iron sights at all. It is also so flexible it is not suitable for air soft. Granted, they may have fixed that by now, I've had mine many years.
CactusThomas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There used to be a brand of budget silencers simply called "Hunter". I believe their rimfire can was under $100. I never owned one but did shoot them. They worked very well.
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We live here on our ranch in the Ozarks. Lots of Armadillos. They come to our yard because we have a sprinkler system that keeps the ground damp and therefore I had lots of grubs, nematodes and other yard insects….all very bad for my grass and yard plants.
So Armadillos come to feed on those, that's why they were put here, (a good thing) but armadillos dig up the yard, (a bad thing). So I would kill them……but others kept coming to replace those…..as there are always going to be armadillos unless we eradicate the species.
So I decided to treat my yard to get rid of their food source….now I seldom have armadillo damage and my yard is much better as well.
When I was killing them I used a good high powered pellet gun…..
Lots cheaper, relatively quiet and killed them just as dead.
TAMU Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences

Boat racing is like a beautiful woman.......expensive, high maintenance, but well worth the fun!
Nealthedestroyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I use a varmint assasinator 5000.

Ruger mk3 with a pistol light, red dot and can. Quiet af with subs.
Vae Victis
Drundel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This might be interesting for you.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/posts/14087933/

I think I'm gonna get one, then research a $300ish suppressor just for .22 (not full auto rated).

I don't have a clue about scope and rings prices though for a .22 needing max 50 yards.
87IE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Savage 64 FV SR for $190

CMMG 22 can for $275

I have a S&W 22 M&P and a Ruger 10/22 Takedown that I put my can on.

Those can bust your budget though...
tu ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I havent bought a new gun since getting an AR made by EyeGuy several years ago. My budget was a bit arbitrary, I'll admit. I have a gun for every need until now.

I have a couple of .22s already. I have a Ruger carbine with open sights, but no threaded barrel. Great for plinking at stuff.

Lets call it $800 all in. Thanks to those who have made suggestions so far.

As for treating my yard...I have and they still come. My neighborhood is over run by the stinking varmints.

To someone who suggested, yes, suppression is high on my priorities
aggiesundevil4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Buy Taurus TX22. Buy 34 round clip. Buy suppressor. Buy FRT.
Tell your wife total cost was $600.
Now you have fully semi auto quiet magic.
-the OB
jpistolero02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I bought a M&P FPC last year and the gun is just fun as heck. It's surprisingly accurate and very handy. I think they can be had pretty cheap. I run a Thunder Beast suppressor on it and it's more quiet than a pellet gun with CCI Standard.
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tu ag said:

I havent bought a new gun since getting an AR made by EyeGuy several years ago. My budget was a bit arbitrary, I'll admit. I have a gun for every need until now.

I have a couple of .22s already. I have a Ruger carbine with open sights, but no threaded barrel. Great for plinking at stuff.

Lets call it $800 all in. Thanks to those who have made suggestions so far.

As for treating my yard...I have and they still come. My neighborhood is over run by the stinking varmints.

To someone who suggested, yes, suppression is high on my priorities

M&P 15-22 $500
Burris 3x prism $175
NLS 22 Varmint $150

That would be a pretty good rig for ~$825
maddiedou
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just fyi

A 22 suppresses with subs you can still hear the sound Your neighbors will still hear it

You can come ahoot mine if you want to hear the difference or just buy one and say the hell with neighbors
maddiedou
Caladan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tu ag said:



Lets call it $800 all in. Thanks to those who have made suggestions so far.

Since you have decided to move the goalposts, I will just say that any number of semi-auto rifles and pistols are now at your disposal. I will say that the folding S&W FPC suggested above is a great choice, as they function quite well, and the mags are the same as their 22X pistol. And of course there are a great number of suitable pistols that you can now choose from. Take your pick.

But if noise suppression is your main concern, then I will still recommend a bolt-action rifle. Yes, as pointed out above an inexpensive rifle will not be the same as an expensive rifle. But an inexpensive bolt gun will do what you want while easily staying within your budget, and with the least amount of noise. Or you could get a $600 threaded Bergara bolt rifle and one of the lower-priced suppressors......

C
tu ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It is about the rib more than the neighbors.
Muzzleblast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Koko Chingo said:

For around $600 with a red dot (minus suppressor) a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 is just a really fun gun to shoot. It doesn't matter if you are a seasoned pro or new shooter. Its just fun.


I want to find an FRT for my M&P 15-22. Not sure if anyone makes one.
theJonatron
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
when I bought my Springfield Waypoint 6.5 PRC carbon fiber barrel and adjustable stock, it was $2,100, but came with a free Waypoint .22 and for $50 I was able to get an added Viridian EON 3-940, which is okay.

My .22 suppressor with the tax stamp was about $650.

So your total investment of $2,750 will get what you want. .22 suppressed for $650 lol

I would buy a used .22 that has optics and the cheapest can you can find if its just for armadillo and plinking
El Chupacabra
How long do you want to ignore this user?
maddiedou said:

Just fyi

A 22 suppresses with subs you can still hear the sound Your neighbors will still hear it

You can come ahoot mine if you want to hear the difference or just buy one and say the hell with neighbors

Are you living in a dorm?

My Ruger American 22 w/suppressor and subs is Hollywood quiet.
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
El Chupacabra said:

maddiedou said:

Just fyi

A 22 suppresses with subs you can still hear the sound Your neighbors will still hear it

You can come ahoot mine if you want to hear the difference or just buy one and say the hell with neighbors

Are you living in a dorm?

My Ruger American 22 w/suppressor and subs is Hollywood quiet.

My M&P 15-22 with a suppressor and sub-sonic rounds is quiet too. All you hear is the cycling of the action that sounds like a snap and the pop of the round hitting whatever I am shooting at.
F4GIB71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
txags92 said:

El Chupacabra said:

maddiedou said:

Just fyi

A 22 suppresses with subs you can still hear the sound Your neighbors will still hear it

You can come ahoot mine if you want to hear the difference or just buy one and say the hell with neighbors

Are you living in a dorm?

My Ruger American 22 w/suppressor and subs is Hollywood quiet.

My M&P 15-22 with a suppressor and sub-sonic rounds is quiet too. All you hear is the cycling of the action that sounds like a snap and the pop of the round hitting whatever I am shooting at.

I concur
maddiedou
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maybe I am expecting to much
maddiedou
kyledr04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
M&p 15-22 is a great choice. All I hear is the action of the gun and it hitting the target. Basically like a foam dart gun. It's a racoon assassin.
tu ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
maddiedou and I live in the same neighborhood. He knows what I am dealing with.
hudmoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ruger 10/22 carbon fiber. Street price is under $550. Love mine
Ctree
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Check gun.deals, or Reddit/gundeals. You can search previous deals on 22s. I have a 15/22, Bergara bolt action, and a few 22LR pistols. Take all of them when I go to the range.

Threaded 10/22s can be found around $300. I purchased a Rossi RS22 for $150 when threaded 10/22s were $400+. No problems with it, but I would rather have a 10/22 for the aftermarket customization.
Koko Chingo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That would be really fun.

There is basically zero recoil. I don't know if an FRT would even work on one.
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Use a better treatment. If they don't have food they won't hang around.
TAMU Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences

Boat racing is like a beautiful woman.......expensive, high maintenance, but well worth the fun!
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TunaCan22S 5 baffle suppressor is $199, my buddy loves his for a little bolt action he shoots quite often. He hasn't said a bad thing about it yet. Made in Odessa.
Hook63
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I love this setup, but above your budget.


CZ 457 American synthetic (comes threaded) - $375
Leopold 2x7 rimfire scope - $300
Sparrow 22 suppressor - $300
Aguila 22lr ammo 40gr, 1,025 fps

Maybe save by going cheaper on the scope.



tandy miller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiesundevil4 said:

Buy Taurus TX22. Buy 34 round clip. Buy suppressor. Buy FRT.
Tell your wife total cost was $600.
Now you have fully semi auto quiet magic.
-the OB


Hard to get them to run suppressed.


Or so I've heard
Page 1 of 2 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.