Yes sir. Hopefully he will chime in. He is very knowledgeable on the subject. I remember him commenting on the decline of Axis there but don't remember the details.
We allowed TPWD to trap some on our place years back. Axis are very temperamental to capture with dart guns as they are very susceptible to respiratory failure and myopathy.
They used chemical immobilization and also set drop nets with minimal success…..Axis are just relatively hard to capture. We had our best results (least mortality) with helicopter but it was expensive.
I had heard the same as you a couple of years back about the trappers, but due to high mortality when capturing with conventional methods (drugs and drop nets), I had understood many of them quite well doing it.
Be interesting to hear what ttha has to say about it.
Take care. Good talking.
TAMU Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences
Boat racing is like a beautiful woman.......expensive, high maintenance, but well worth the fun!