Outdoors
Sponsored by

Armadillo question

1,475 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by oklaunion
tu ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Background - live on an acre or so in a neighborhood surrounded by woods and greenbelt. For years I have trapped and relocated dozens of Armadillos. HOA (and laws) don't allow shooting the Dillos with a gun. What about bow and arrow? Tired of driving them miles away after trapping, plus there are so many of them.
FYI - yes, I have treated for grubs. They still come back.
Suggestions for shooting with bow and arrow?
Furlock Bones
AG
Sub sonic suppressed 22 will do the job easier.
Chetos
AG
Be careful of ricochets … maybe it's a threat with other rounds… but you'll hear it with this setup and it'll make your ears perk.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Air rifle and build a better fence. And stop "relocating" them. Just kill them.
tu ag
AG
Build a better 1/2 acre fence that is crazy expensive (to meet HOA requirements)? No.
As I said...shooting them isn't an option.

But I expected a "do it way different than what was asked", because that is peak outdoors board.
giddings_ag_06
AG
tu ag said:

Build a better 1/2 acre fence that is crazy expensive (to meet HOA requirements)? No.
As I said...shooting them isn't an option.

But I expected a "do it way different than what was asked", because that is peak outdoors board.

Don't most HOA's require a privacy fence? Sounds like you need to fix the bottom of it since they are clearing coming under it somewhere. And I thought it was an acre? If it's only half an acre then it's already getting to be cheaper.

The only thing you asked is if we had bow and arrow suggestions. Shooting a bow in a yard that small in an HOA neighborhood is a bad idea for lots of reasons including probably against the bylaws, leaving a blood trail to where it came from at a neighbor's, possibly having an arrow go over your property line and shooting so close. An air rifle makes it much more likely for you to shoot it in the head and kill it right there. Also just as quiet as a bow. I've done it plenty of times…

Don't snap back at people trying to help you. You're on a lot in a HOA neighborhood shooting animals that are obviously getting in your yard easily because they aren't barricaded out. Game Warden would probably love to make a visit.
tu ag
AG
I have an acre. 1/2 is fenced. Building a new fence solves half the problem and would cost about $10k if I built it myself. Much more if contracted out. No, it isn't privacy, but more if contracted. I can shoot bow and arrow. We don't have neighbors right around. I can't shoot a gun.

I didn't snap back, I pointed out you offered other solutions I'm not looking for.
OnlyForNow
AG
Get a 20 gallon water trough from tractor supply, trap dillos, place trap with dillo in trough full of water, wait 5 mins, remove trap, relocate dillo.
tu ag
AG
Trap is wood. One of these:
https://thearmadillotrap.com
SanAntoneAg
AG
They pay two-fifty down in Hallettsville
3 dollars, maybe more
Gig 'em! '90
sonnysixkiller
AG
Don't snap at me I have had a long day and it's my special time of the month. Holy *****
OnlyForNow
AG
That'll sink just as well as a wire cage bud.
SGrem
Start relocating to the HOA presidents house. See if the bylaws change....
Mas89
AG
22 caliber air rifle and shoot them in the head. If you won't shoot then kill with a sharp shovel. One good chop to the head will do the job.
tu ag
AG
I killed one with a blunt Shovel.
It got gruesome quickly.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Mas89 said:

22 caliber air rifle and shoot them in the head. If you won't shoot then kill with a sharp shovel. One good chop to the head will do the job.

I'd prefer to die this way as opposed to being in a hav-a-hart trap and drowning in a trash can full of water.

Our job is to be humane when offing an animal.
Gig 'em! '90
alvtimes
I can shoot in my area but I still open back door… shoot with shotgun. Close door and set gun down….. walk to front door and walk out on front porch and look around for the loud bang. lol
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
Around here it's illegal to relocate them. So the choices are drive them out or kill them on the spot. As you said urban firearm usage is frowned upon.

I've had success by soaking tennis balls in pepper spray (OC) and sending them down the burrow. Fill the burrow with pea gravel the following day. Makes a good excuse to freshen the OC canisters in the cars. Done it twice and they move on - sometimes still on your lot but they do move.
DargelSkout
AG
I shot one with a bow once. It worked just fine.
Chruchie
AG
Scatter some sulfur around yard. Don't worry, it will smell bad for u but they will shy away from
Burdizzo
AG
Tabasco or Horseradish?
The Lost Hondo
AG
I've tried treating for grubs, trapping, homemade cayenne repellents, store-bought repellents, sonic repellents. Some of these seem to help temporarily.

Serious recommendation: the easiest and most effective method for me is to find their hole near my yard and fill it up with rocks.

They find somewhere else to root.

I got rid of them last year by finding and filling two holes around my house. I started seeing some armadillo damage a couple of weeks ago so I found the new hole and filled it up. So far, no more damage.
oklaunion
Eons ago I was walking around our hunting grounds, practicing with judo points when an armadillo wandered by and I thought it would be funny to scare him with a shot to the side. Those judo points don't bounce off. It went through the little fellow with a sickening crunch and grabbed guts on its way out. He emptied himself quickly as he ran but didn't go far. A bow and arrow will work.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.