Outdoors
Sponsored by

Not seeing rush for ammo/reloading supplies like past elections

2,377 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by agsalaska
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is this an oddball year?

Seems like every 4 years, ammo, powder, bullets, primers are in short supply from Sept to at least Jan the following year.

This year, I'm finding just about everything is available right now. Shelves are full of 5.56, 9mm, .45 Auto, primers, bullets, powder, etc..
zooguy96
AG
I'd assume because most don't expect Kamamaladingdong to actually get elected, but I could be wrong.

Also, everyone should have already stocked up enough.
tk111
AG
There's also usually a lot more fear pron about how if a D gets elected they're going to ban everything, but no one seems to be talking about it outside the constant GOA emails I get about it.

D candidates always put out some hunting cosplay videos before the election, but the ones that have come out this time around from timmy are so hilariously pathetic that maybe everyone is too busy lol'ing to worry about it.
Tumble Weed
I was anticipating the same old circus. Nice to see that the stores are able to handle the demand.

I have spent the last few years improving my personal supply. Getting into reloading was a game changer. I no longer have ammo anxiety.
agsalaska
AG
Na I don't think that's true. There have been two major shortages in the last 20 years and one minor one but none were caused by an election.

The first was the Sandy Hook tragedy followed by Obamas gun ban effort which died in the senate.

Second was Covid and the George Floyd riots where everything was short.

And the third was last year when Oct 7 happened which really only hit the wholesale markets. Retail really didn't budge.

There are some that say 9/11 caused one but I was too poor to notice back then and 5.56 wasn't nearly as popular as. Is

I think a lot of us were caught short handed by Sandy Hook and learned a lesson. Those that didn't learned after Covid.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

lexofer
AG
Reloading is good if you're stocked up on primers. They're always the last to come back into stock if there's a shortage. Loaded ammo usually gets priority from manufacturers, only then will the extra components go back on sale to consumers. That said there are a lot more brands of primers available the last few years, I've been stocking up on the Servicios Aventuras small pistol primers at $40/k so I have enough for practice ammo for years to come. I don't expect primer prices to get significantly below that in the future.
lexofer
AG
agsalaska said:

Na I don't think that's true. There have been two major shortages in the last 20 years and one minor one but none were caused by an election.

The first was the Sandy Hook tragedy followed by Obamas gun ban effort which died in the senate.

Second was Covid and the George Floyd riots where everything was short.

And the third was last year when Oct 7 happened which really only hit the wholesale markets. Retail really didn't budge.

There are some that say 9/11 caused one but I was too poor to notice back then and 5.56 wasn't nearly as popular as. Is

I think a lot of us were caught short handed by Sandy Hook and learned a lesson. Those that didn't learned after Covid.
I remember the first time Obama was elected there was a shortage, It was a couple of years before I could get certain primers again. I've always kept a few years supply on hand since then. Second time he was elected I was ready for it and there was just a small price bump, then Sandy Hook of course was the worst.
Furlock Bones
AG
If you follow what's happening in this election, Trump and Kamala are both moving to the middle on a lot of positions at least in rhetoric if not reality. This election is coming down to the finest of electoral college margins. So, the Ds are talking about how they are gun owners and not coming after your guns etc.

Plus, I think there has been so much panic buying over the last decade that we have hit the natural end of that rope.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Its two things.

1) if you havent stocked up after lockdowns, mostly peaceful protests, etc….most people have plenty of guns and ammo for their own personal security blanket.

2) economy. People are broke, man. Inflation, rising costs, etc….most people are figuring out how to make ends meet and buying 10k rounds of 9mm for a hypothetical end of the world isnt as much of a priority as the actual personal end of the world of not being able to afford insurance, groceries and mortgage.

Just my .02

ghollow
AG
Most of those panic buyers still have not gone through half the stuff they bought 4 years ago
So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
schmellba99
AG
zooguy96 said:

I'd assume because most don't expect Kamamaladingdong to actually get elected, but I could be wrong.

Second part is the biggest reason.

Most of those that would rush out to buy an AR and a case of green tip have already done it, and the overwhelming majority of them probably have 970 rounds of the original 1000 still in the ammo can so no real need for them to make a second rush again.
agsalaska
AG
schmellba99 said:

zooguy96 said:

Second part is the biggest reason.

Most of those that would rush out to buy an AR and a case of green tip have already done it, and the overwhelming majority of them probably have 970 rounds of the original 1000 still in the ammo can so no real need for them to make a second rush again.
That is 100% me. When Sandy Hook happened I had just moved from Vegas to DFW. Right before I left my friends and I went out in the dessert and pretty much shot up all of my ammo. I don't remember exactly how much I had but I know it wasn't much. It was something like one full magazine for my Glock, maybe two cylinders worth of .38 spl, a box of 30-06, and that's it. We had shot up all my 7.62x39, I didn't own an AR, no ball ammo in any caliber, etc. I had a lot of rifles and pistols that I couldn't shoot at all.

Lesson learned. When prices came back to earth I got an AR, then traded it for another, then another til I got one I half way like, and will die before I shoot up all my ammo in my main calibers. . I even have ammo for calibers I don't own.

It is a good time to buy right now.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

dubi
AG
Quote:

Most of those panic buyers still have not gone through half the stuff they bought 8 4 years ago
We are still shooting cases of 22 ammo we bought 8 years ago!
agsalaska
AG
LOL.

Sometime at the height of the 2012-2013 panic I bought one of those green and white Remington range buckets in 9mm. I don't remember exactly what I paid for it, but a lot more than they cost today. I still have that bucket. I probably should go ahead and shoot it up since it is not really sealed and can't go in an ammo can. It is just sitting in my closet, a quiet reminder of an earlier time.

NoahAg
Dems talk about gun control the same way republicans talk about illegal immigration and reducing spending. Once they get in office they don't actually do anything about it.
TheVarian
AG
TamponTim and Scamala are gun owners OP!
schmellba99
AG
NoahAg said:

Dems talk about gun control the same way republicans talk about illegal immigration and reducing spending. Once they get in office they don't actually do anything about it.
I'd contend that over the last 8-12 years that the only reason nothing has been done about either is because of the split houses in congress. And that isn't always a bad thing either.
fixer
ghollow said:

Most of those panic buyers still have not gone through half the stuff they bought 4 years ago

And the credit card bills stacked up at the worst time with inflation.
76Ag
AG
She will not be elected but still installed or at least an attempt to...
O.G.
schmellba99 said:

NoahAg said:

I'd contend that over the last 8-12 years that the only reason nothing has been done about either is because of the split houses in congress. And that isn't always a bad thing either.
Split house in Congress is part of it.

The other, more sinister part is, if you slam dunked the issue, one way or the other. I mean made it completely go away........You can't fund raise on it anymore....
Deerdude
Wish I had a gun.
snowaggie
NoahAg said:

Yes, this. I think we're all collectively figuring out that there's no need to panic-buy. I mean, feel free to do just that, but gun/ammo control doomsday scenarios keep not happening.
EMY92
AG
snowaggie said:

NoahAg said:

Yes, this. I think we're all collectively figuring out that there's no need to panic-buy. I mean, feel free to do just that, but gun/ammo control doomsday scenarios keep not happening.
It will happen eventually. Washington keeps shifting further left.

Go back and watch some of Al Gore's campaign speeches from 2000. Today, the news would label him as a right wing extremist.
agsalaska
AG
EMY92 said:

snowaggie said:

NoahAg said:

It will happen eventually. Washington keeps shifting further left.

Go back and watch some of Al Gore's campaign speeches from 2000. Today, the news would label him as a right wing extremist.
I disagree. I think that doomsday stuff is FAR more unlikely today than it was 25 years ago and that it is not even close.

At the risk of discussing politics on the OB, there are certain positions that are losers nationally. And it has nothing to do with whether or not you(generic) agree with them or whether or not you think they are right or wrong and are not really affected by who is in power. And they do change over time but are slow to and are typically generational. Abortion is one. Immigration is one. A new one is election denying.

Gun control is a big one and is much more of a loser today than 20 years ago. The best thing we ever did was built and sell eleventy billion AR-15 s and make them the modern day Win 94. WAY too many of those are owned by Democrats and there is nothing anyone in DC can do about it. And considering more and more kids are shooting their first deer with them or otherwise learning how to shoot with them, the GC position is becoming more of a loser every year.

I know. Someone is going to come on next and tell me all the reasons that's not right and we have to continue to fight and look at Illinois and all of that. And, to the point made earlier, if you make it a non issue you cannot campaign on it so those people will always be making those arguments. But nationally speaking, while the battle does never end, the GC crowd is all but lifeless.

schmellba99
AG
O.G. said:

schmellba99 said:

NoahAg said:

Split house in Congress is part of it.

The other, more sinister part is, if you slam dunked the issue, one way or the other. I mean made it completely go away........You can't fund raise on it anymore....
Without a doubt. Even "getting something done" would be trivial at best and magically cost us all more money. Amazing how that works, huh?
InfantryAg
AG
No mention of the courts? I think the current SCOTUS is a big help for keeping the anti-gunners at bay.

Not as much as we would like, but just enough.
Deerdude
Along those lines, im kind of surprised that our SCOTUS has remained healthy while there was an opportunity to replace one or two with those more sympathetic to their leftist agenda.
ShouldastayedataTm
BenderRodriguez said:

2) economy. People are broke, man. Inflation, rising costs, etc….most people are figuring out how to make ends meet and buying 10k rounds of 9mm for a hypothetical end of the world isnt as much of a priority as the actual personal end of the world of not being able to afford insurance, groceries and mortgage.

Just my .02

Was going to post exactly this part. While prices are down compared to the covid level, they are still fairly high. To add on the very high and rising cost of basic living right now and the teotwawki, fubar, zombie apocalypse type prepping has to take a backseat. Folks are just trying to get by right now.
agsalaska
AG
I made the argument the other day on this page that anti 2a is a loser position nationally and this article does a great job providing stats to back that up.

Never stop fighting but the gun grabbers do not have the political capitol they once had.

https://www.realclearpolicy.com/articles/2024/10/21/growing_diversity_of_gun_owners_nationwide_1066453.html

AgLA06
AG
agsalaska said:

I made the argument the other day on this page that anti 2a is a loser position nationally and this article does a great job providing stats to back that up.

Never stop fighting but the gun grabbers do not have the political capitol they once had.

https://www.realclearpolicy.com/articles/2024/10/21/growing_diversity_of_gun_owners_nationwide_1066453.html

Agreed.

I wish Republicans could figure out the same for religious positions like abortion. I'm against it religiously and morally, but that doesn't mean it should be a federal issue.

There's just enough extremist positions from both sides that the vast majority of Americans in the middle struggle with the options at hand.
zooguy96
AG
Most of the extreme positions only come from one side.
agsalaska
AG
I completely disagree with that. However one side is definitely better positioned to take the middle.

Fantastic series on which party is more in line with grabbing the middle right now on 'The Liberal Patriot' substack. Third article came out today. It is on Real Clear.

And that's as far into politics as I will go on the OB.

zooguy96
AG
Well, maybe I'm a dumbass, but:

1. Wants to take your guns: liberals.
2. Doesn't want you to have free speech: liberals.
3. Wants to control every facet of your life: liberals.

So, I was not speaking on a Republican/Democrat aspect. I was speaking on a liberal/conservative aspect.
agsalaska
AG
zooguy96 said:

Well, maybe I'm a dumbass, but:

1. Wants to take your guns: liberals.
2. Doesn't want you to have free speech: liberals.
3. Wants to control every facet of your life: liberals.

So, I was not speaking on a Republican/Democrat aspect. I was speaking on a liberal/conservative aspect.

Liberals do not want to take away freedoms of speech. Freedom of speech is fundamental to liberal beliefs.

Estreme left Partisan Democrats want to take away your freedom of speech.

You should read the articles I referenced earlier on The Liberal Patriot.

And now to avoid responding again to a politics post on the OB I am removing the bookmark on this thread.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.