Outdoors
Sponsored by

Prairie Grouse

1,755 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by AgLA06
AgDad121619
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed to SD/ND along Missouri River on on Thursday for a mixed bag waterfowl/ pheasant / grouse trip.

Any advice for what kind of habitat to to try to walk up some prairie chickens? There are a lot of gullies / breaks along river and creek beds as well as a lot of agriculture fields. Do we need to find large expanses of uninterrupted grasslands or focus more on the treed areas in the draws?
OnlyForNow
AG
Are you going for public land?

My dad and I hunted SD (east of Pierre) last year on horse back, private property, and can say that we shot only prairie chickens, no sharpies, but did get a few pheasants as well.

There did not seem to be any rhyme or reason on the locations for the P.C. BUT typically they were on hillsides, or knolls, not in the bottom of swales, etc.

AgDad121619
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Are you going for public land?

My dad and I hunted SD (east of Pierre) last year on horse back, private property, and can say that we shot only prairie chickens, no sharpies, but did get a few pheasants as well.

There did not seem to be any rhyme or reason on the locations for the P.C. BUT typically they were on hillsides, or knolls, not in the bottom of swales, etc.

I would call it semi public - we are hunting Standing Rock Indian reservation. We were there for turkey season so going back with a little knowledge of the lay of the land

BTW hunting from horseback sounds awesome - did you use the horses to cover land and then hunt by foot or actually do some shooting from the saddle?
OnlyForNow
AG
I don't know exactly where that is, but I can say with fairly good confidence that without dogs and the horses we woulda walked 10+ miles a day to shoot 2 birds probably.

We saw LOTS but lots of what we saw were in HUGE wintering groups, few hundred birds. And once one gets up they almost all get up.
AgDad121619
AG
What time of year were you there? I feel like we will probably be in that transition period where they are headed toward their wintering grounds / gathering. We will be there 10/18-10/24. DIY hunt - we were blown away by all the game we saw last spring while turkey hunting. Waterfowl in mornings and upland birds in afternoon is the plan
SA_Ag93
AG
We went up a few days ahead of the pheasant opener a few years ago to tag along with a buddy who was chasing antelope near Red Owl, SD. We hammered the grouse as a byproduct. Mostly along fence lines and in the draws. Overall terrain was rolling grass lands.

We are headed up to Winner, SD in the morning.

Safe travels and best of luck!
OnlyForNow
AG
Nov 5 - 10th
frorge
AG
OnlyForNow said:

I don't care what you believe about windmills in terms of power generation, or environmental impact. But they have absolutely ruined our countries landscape.

/end rant
OnlyForNow
AG
They sure are ugly. We can 100% agree on that.
EnglishElhew07
I hunted standing rock 2 weeks ago for grouse. We had what I would call moderate success. More sharpies and Huns up that far north in SD. Chickens are most common from Pierre south, my favorite prairie bird to hunt is chickens. If you post a way for me to contact you I can give you some specific advise on Standing rock. I can also post some general advise on hunting those when I in front of a computer. Northern plains in the fall is a great place to be.
BBQ
AG
Headed to a ranch outside of Winner SD with 26+ miles of White River. Mid Nov for my annual white tail hunt. I always look forward to this hunt for many reasons but experience is nothing like whitetail hunting in Tx. A steady diet of glassing and stalking.

some of my successes over the years

The two middle pics is my sons kill which was his graduation gift for his success in joining the Fighting Texas Aggie class of '21!

AgDad121619
AG
EnglishElhew07 said:

I hunted standing rock 2 weeks ago for grouse. We had what I would call moderate success. More sharpies and Huns up that far north in SD. Chickens are most common from Pierre south, my favorite prairie bird to hunt is chickens. If you post a way for me to contact you I can give you some specific advise on Standing rock. I can also post some general advise on hunting those when I in front of a computer. Northern plains in the fall is a great place to be.
Thank you - looking forward to hearing from you. If you interested I can share very specific turkey hunting spots
AgDad121619
AG
BBQ said:

Headed to a ranch outside of Winner SD with 26+ miles of White River. Mid Nov for my annual white tail hunt. I always look forward to this hunt for many reasons but experience is nothing like whitetail hunting in Tx. A steady diet of glassing and stalking.

some of my successes over the years

The two middle pics is my sons kill which was his graduation gift for his success in joining the Fighting Texas Aggie class of '21!

thats awesome - saw bunch of mulies along the river in the spring - area definitely supports spot and stalk hunting
water turkey
AgDad121619 said:

Headed to SD/ND along Missouri River on on Thursday for a mixed bag waterfowl/ pheasant / grouse trip.

Any advice for what kind of habitat to to try to walk up some prairie chickens? There are a lot of gullies / breaks along river and creek beds as well as a lot of agriculture fields. Do we need to find large expanses of uninterrupted grasslands or focus more on the treed areas in the draws?

You mind me asking rough estimate of what that hunt costs?
BBQ
AG
Mule deer #'s have been on the decline over the last 3 or 4 years. We hunt the mule deer on "top" up in the hills and the whitetail down in the river bottoms.

Hoping for a "miserable" weather hunt this year. The whitetail are much more active when the temp is low teens and wind is below 15mph or so.

The last couple of years the weather has been way too nice with the highs in the high 50's and lows in the low 40's.

I really am hoping for some serious snow storms

Nothing like a winter hunt in the Dakotas. This November will be 19th consecutive whitetail hunt on this particular ranch.

Some of the Dances with Wolves movie was filmed on this ranch. Kevin Costners Calvary Saddle or "one of" was donated to the ranch owner and on display in the ranch owners home.
AgDad121619
AG
water turkey said:

AgDad121619 said:

licenses are going to be ~$400 because we are going to add a ND waterfowl license as backup for ducks - found out too late that SD has lottery for non resident waterfowl. On the res each license as follows:
Waterfowl $50
Pheasant $150
Grouse / Huns / Dove $75
Fall Turkey $95. ( didn't include that in license cost)

The rest is just basics - we have a room at local hotel for $90 a night (two beds) and are driving. We are bringing a camp stove and hotel has a grill so we will be making our own meals. Really affordable trip.

$300 in shells but I doubt we use anywhere near that much
water turkey
AgDad121619 said:

water turkey said:

AgDad121619 said:

licenses are going to be ~$400 because we are going to add a ND waterfowl license as backup for ducks - found out too late that SD has lottery for non resident waterfowl. On the res each license as follows:
Waterfowl $50
Pheasant $150
Grouse / Huns / Dove $75
Fall Turkey $95. ( didn't include that in license cost)

The rest is just basics - we have a room at local hotel for $90 a night (two beds) and are driving. We are bringing a camp stove and hotel has a grill so we will be making our own meals. Really affordable trip.

$300 in shells but I doubt we use anywhere near that much

So it's just like public land?. You get maps of all the areas you can hunt?
AgDad121619
AG
Yes - essentially public land but has both tribal ( true public) and allotted reservation which means it is privately owned by a member of tribe. Game warden will tell you can hunt allotted land as well unless it is posted. We tried to keep to tribal lands as much as possible during our turkey hunt to avoid allotted land but we did hunt some of that as well.

We were there last week of turkey season so we only ran into one other group hunting. The turkeys also weren't working to calls at all so would go earlier in season if we go back.

Breaking into trucks on reservation can be issue but we didn't have any trouble - tried to park well off of the roads and left car unlocked with nothing of value in it. Was also told to stay out of bars after 8 but we never had any intention of doing that so don't have first hand experience

Relied on OnX for maps - both types of tribal lands show up their maps
EnglishElhew07
To answer your original question about where to chase the birds, I would put it in two buckets. Bucket one is Huns and Pheasants and bucket two is Sharptail. There are very few chickens that far north.

The Huns and Pheasants will be found pretty readily where ag, meets the prairie. Most of the ag is either corn, wheat, milo or sunflowers. We tended to find more pheasants along the corn and more huns along the wheat. Its a good year for pheasants. We were gone before pheasant season started but we found more than enough for limits.

The sharptail were mostly in the open country that was still big blocks of native grass. Where we did find them around ag it was almost always alfalfa or bean fields.

If you give me a way to contact you I can drop you some pins on OnX of locations I would hunt. We were mostly in a 20 mile radius of Little Eagle, SD.
AgDad121619
AG
EnglishElhew07 said:

To answer your original question about where to chase the birds, I would put it in two buckets. Bucket one is Huns and Pheasants and bucket two is Sharptail. There are very few chickens that far north.

The Huns and Pheasants will be found pretty readily where ag, meets the prairie. Most of the ag is either corn, wheat, milo or sunflowers. We tended to find more pheasants along the corn and more huns along the wheat. Its a good year for pheasants. We were gone before pheasant season started but we found more than enough for limits.

The sharptail were mostly in the open country that was still big blocks of native grass. Where we did find them around ag it was almost always alfalfa or bean fields.

If you give me a way to contact you I can drop you some pins on OnX of locations I would hunt. We were mostly in a 20 mile radius of Little Eagle, SD.
We are headed out this evening and will be hunting Saturday through Wednesday. Thanks
AgDad121619
AG
I looked up little eagle and we turkey hunted right in that area along the Grand River and drove 63 so familiar with that area
EnglishElhew07
Got it, you can take your number down
SA_Ag93
AG
Pretty good birds in SD today….best in last 4 yrs
AgDad121619
AG
We got our first pheasants this afternoon and put a bunch more up out of range- amazing birds
AgLA06
AG
Pheasant and Wood Ducks are just amazingly beautiful.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.