Outdoors
Sponsored by

Freakin Cows

3,597 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by HTownAg98
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beryl blew a tree over that landed on one side of a feeder pen of mine. Had to do some partial trimming and cutting on the downed tree in case landowner decided to get on the dozer and drink a case of beer and F the world up.

Guess that little bit of change was enough for the cows to figue they could get in, and they did. Tore my protein feeder up, the works.

Fixed the feeder, removed the rest of the tree, fixed the posts, fence and barbed wire back to where it was prior to the storm. Thought everything was good, but it is not. 3 of the buttholes are in my pen as I type this, and I can only surmise they have learned to jump suddenly or decided to just push part of the fence over or something.

Last time this happened I ended up just having to tear the old pen down completely and rebuild it in a different location because no matter what I did they still got in. Season is here, I'm not about to start doing construction projects. What the hell can I do to keep these stupid fuggin cows out of my pen so the deer actually eat corn and protein and not scraggly crappy cows that I would just as soon see shot and dumped in a field?

Hotwire? I can't really raise the fence any higher so that's out. I"m at a loss, and I have a couple of good deer roaming around that if they go somewhere else because of these cows I'll be hella pissed.
Shoefly!
AG
I've been flooded out in 98, lost 5 blinds & feeders down the river. Trees squashing feeders and pens. I got to the point when I hunted a lot I'd carry a couple of 5 gallon buckets of corn and brodcast 4 or 5 days before the season, no screwing with batteries timers or motors. I didn't have time for that,
Wearer of the Ring
AG
Our group only leased where the land owner got all his stock off on 1 Sept.
jagsdad
Sounds like a hot wire is about your only option. Know some people swear it will scare the deer off, but they don't pay any attention to them out west tx. Make sure you get a really good ground, a good charger, and knock the snot out of em. They'll learn after a couple good shocks on the schnozz, but being the contrary critters they are, they will come back now and then to check if it's still hot.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
My personal experience is that once a cow is educated in the fruits of jumping over the fence, there is very little that will stop it. You can add another strand of barb wire but at some point the deer won't feel comfortable and you'll box them out.

Hot wire is an option I just have never done it on a feed pen. I'm sure it would work well though.

Good luck!
JMH
AG
Here's a stupid question. What purpose are the cows serving?
fullback44
AG
JMH said:

Hamburgers and steaks for all the city folk
Deerdude
You gotta retrain them that they can't jump. Put higher strand of wire or barrier until they give up then drop it back down.
Alternatively, you could fence them out. My protein pens measure 60' x 60' and are 36" high enclosure . Outside of that I have a second fence that measures 300' x 300' of five strand barbed wire.
Mas89
AG
I prefer wire cattle panels to barbed wire for feeder pens. The ones we use are 16' x 50" with a steel T- post every 8 ft.
44mAG
AG
We had to stop feeding protein on our place 10 years ago because the cattle learned to jump in our pens. I tried going as tall as I could for deer, but the cattle just stepped over and tore everything up. Keeping hogs and cattle both out proved to be impossible. With my Dad involved, the cattle won out over the deer. Really sucks because we had the deer finally hammering it and were seeing great results. Hunting hasn't been the same since then.
schmellba99
AG
JMH said:

The landowner loves raising them, that's the purpose and out of my hands.
schmellba99
AG
Mas89 said:

I prefer wire cattle panels to barbed wire for feeder pens. The ones we use are 16' x 50" with a steel T- post every 8 ft.
My pen is panels with a strand of barbed wire about a foot above the panels as well. Don't remember how big it is, probably 40' diameter give or take. Haven't had an issue with this pen until the tree fell on one part and the cows decided that meant they could jump the fence now.
96ags
AG
JMH said:

Probably having $1500-$1700 babies.
Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
fullback44 said:

JMH said:

It isn't just city folk that eat burgers and steaks
Watchful Ag
AG
Since the fence is needed to keep pigs out, can you run a single hotwire wayyy outside the normal diameter of your feeder pen?

That way the cows won't be as tempted to get into the pen if they're kept back 20yds or so from all directions?

This is a pretty rough example, but something along these lines …
fullback44
AG
Capt. Augustus McCrae said:

fullback44 said:

JMH said:

It isn't just city folk that eat burgers and steaks
Yes the country folk know where their meat comes from…. This was poking fun at the idiots from the city that think meat is grown in a Petri dish
vmiaptetr
AG
Cows be curious like that.
Hullabaque
AG
Can the landowner put them in a different pasture during hunting season? Not sure how big the property is and what kind of cross-fencing he has.

The other option is to find out when the next livestock auction is and present the landowner with a check a few days later.
96ags
AG
Hullabaque said:

Can the landowner put them in a different pasture during hunting season? Not sure how big the property is and what kind of cross-fencing he has.

The other option is to find out when the next livestock auction is and present the landowner with a check a few days later.
Yeah, try this and please report back how quickly you go to jail!
Deerdude
Re-educating cattle is a PIA, but I still like my cattle. Especially about 5:30-6am on pitch black while in full stealth mode sneaking to your blind. The sudden quail covey flushing approach is my favorite.
Hullabaque
AG
Haha......hey, he asked for options.
TacosaurusRex
I have given up my battle with the cows for this season. Those a holes ate all of the wiring to my solar panels on my feeders. I thought it was field mice, but then I watched a calf lick the wiring and walk off chewing it. I tried my best not to have any exposed wires, and I was able to get all of it covered but about half an inch. Well, they found that half inch and pulled the rest out. TILL NEXT YEAR you little chits.
INIGO MONTOYA
Once they get the taste……

I've seen 3 strand barbed wire done 8' or so outside a feeder pen of hog panel. Barbed wire keeps the cows out - deer go right under as you skip the bottom wire and then right over the hog panel.
91AggieLawyer
AG
fullback44 said:

JMH said:

Can't you get those at the grocery store?
schmellba99
AG
Hullabaque said:

Could he?

Absolutely.

Will he?

Absolutely not.
schmellba99
AG
Unfortunately not reall an option. Pen is on a ROW that is about 90 or so feet wide, give or take. Pen is roughly 40 feet in diameter and I have to have the ability to get around it with a 150-ish HP tractor so I'm just about maxed out on what I can use in terms of land at this location.

I put another strand of barbed wire right at the top of the existing posts over the weekend, if that doesn't deter them I will have to set some 8' t-posts to give me another foot or so of height to stretch more wire. Hope it doesn't come to that, but I"m also not optimistic here either.

I hate cows.
HTownAg98
Buy the cheapest solar electric fence charger you can get. You'll probably have to secure it and the battery to the inside of the fence to keep the cows and pigs from messing with it. run a wire about six inches from the top around the outside of the fence, and hook the ground of the fence charger into the panels. When a cow noses that hot wire (for some reason, they can either sense or smell an electric fence) and contacts the panels, it will shock them well enough to keep them out, and it will break them of it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.