Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cat 4 to 5 Hurricane Heading to Florida

16,424 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by AgLA06
kyledr04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm trying to get out of ATL now before it gets here. Airport is nuts.
P.U.T.U
AG
One the largest airports in the USA, I imagine it is a giant cluster right now. I remember a few years ago trying to get out of Orlando before a storm, ended up paying like $900 for an economy ticket and tried 20 times to purchase the ticket before it finally went through. Was fun going from Orlando, to Cleveland, to Houston, to DFW.
TarponChaser
Wife is in Charlotte for work and supposed to fly home tomorrow midday, hopefully this doesn't fck that up.
AgLA06
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

Howdy, hate posting this, my weather guy was crying giving this forecast. Looks VERY, VERY bad for Florida! Pray!
Turns out he was right.

If this thing hit Houston or New Orleans it would be Katrina all over again.
P.U.T.U
AG
Currently it is forecasted to boomerang once it gets north of Georgia which would cause some major flooding in those areas
MAROON
AG
already flooding in Asheville is what I've heard.
Bayou City
https://wlos.com/news/local/flooding-north-carolina-mountains-reported-ahead-helenes-arrival-asheville-biltmore-village-lake-lure

Yup. Sounds like It's only going to get worse. 10-15ft storm surge on the coast, a Cat 1 putting the capital of FL on the dirty side of a Cat 1/2 and a **** load of rain on too of 40+ MPH winds for the mountains. No thanks.
"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which have actually happened."

Mark Twain
ChoppinDs40
AG
MAROON said:

Parts of NC were hit hard with that tropical depression that popped up outta nowhere last week/2 weeks ago

Tons of rain.
B-1 83
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

MAROON said:

Parts of NC were hit hard with that tropical depression that popped up outta nowhere last week/2 weeks ago

Tons of rain.
Wife's uncle lives in Wilmington, and they've been hammered multiple times the last few years.

I just saw where parts of Florida may see a TWENTY foot storm surge. That's going to wipe out a bunch of stuff.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Centerpole90
AG
Interesting analysis from the tropical weather guy I subscribe to. Double eye wall?? I've been in eye wall…. One is enough for me.

djx02
Eyewall replacement cycles are a real thing in large tropical systems. It typically stops strengthening while the eyewall is being replaced. Bad thing is that rapid intensification sometimes follows eyewall replacement.
barnag
where is it expected to make landfall in Florida?
B-1 83
AG
Around Tallahassee, I think
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
TRIDENT
AG
TarponChaser said:

Wife is in Charlotte for work and supposed to fly home tomorrow midday, hopefully this doesn't fck that up.
Yeah, that would suck if all you had to do was to go tarpon fishing all weekend while your wife is stuck in N.C.
TarponChaser
TRIDENT said:

TarponChaser said:

Yeah, that would suck if all you had to do was to go tarpon fishing all weekend while your wife is stuck in N.C.
****, I wish I was tarpon fishing. I'm single-dad this week and working my butt off trying to close deals.
TRIDENT
AG
TarponChaser said:

TRIDENT said:

TarponChaser said:

****, I wish I was tarpon fishing. I'm single-dad this week and working my butt off trying to close deals.
Well, dang. GL brother. I put a 100+ lb poon in the air a couple of weeks ago near San Luis pass on a live mullet, but he broke my leader...I've since upgraded leader to 200 lb and thinking about my game plan for tomorrow.
Ayto Siks
Wild
DDSO
AG
My sister is just west of Tallahassee, in Quincy, Fl. As of this morning, the rain gauge was already over flowing at 8 inches. It's going to be a long couple of days.
TarponChaser
TRIDENT said:

TarponChaser said:

TRIDENT said:

TarponChaser said:

Well, dang. GL brother. I put a 100+ lb poon in the air a couple of weeks ago near San Luis pass on a live mullet, but he broke my leader...I've since upgraded leader to 200 lb and thinking about my game plan for tomorrow.

I've never even hooked a tarpon on conventional gear but I've landed 140-150# tarpon on the fly with a 20# class tippet and 60# bite. The key is to fight them "down & dirty" you don't baby a poon because they'll break off or break the hook or something. Keep the rod tip low to the water and to the side opposite they're running and put the heat on them. And when they try to come up and gulp air you try to force their head back under and sometimes they'll sort of flip in the water and roll over on their sides and when you do this and they're done. Something about them basically swallowing water into their swim bladder.
Aries
My brother has a house on Anna Maria.....had a live feed up today from the Island.....was getting dicey. Hoping their house makes it okay.
Centerpole90
AG
https://instagr.am/p/DAYnsojO947
barnag
those two green boats...
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Godspeed Lt Dan and Forrest! Godspeed
Sea Speed
AG
Those positions are 15 hours and 23 hours old from left to right.
Sea Speed
AG
The one on the right was going nearly 11 knots 24 hours ago. She's fine.

Mas89
AG
Looking at the map, Valdosta, Ga is a little NE of Tallahassee and looks to be the closest major metro on the dirty side of the storm. 160,000 area population of the Valdosta metro so between the two cities, lots of homes and people in the path. Scary storm.
Independence H-D
This isn't a good sign. Waffle House Index. IYKYK.

fullback44
AG
This storm is gonna be a monster.. winds 130 mph and still climbing
chickencoupe16
AG
I'll see your boats and raise you a Hurricane Hunter
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Gonna **** up my Ironman in Chattanooga. They already cancelled the swim. Better not cancel the race.
O.G.
According to the mayor of Atlanta, this has never happened before.
LostTexasBoy
AG
This was a monster of a storm. I've seen so many videos of massive flooding in the Tampa/St. Pete area and they were 100-150 miles east of the storm. 20+ foot trees toppled or ripped out in Orlando. Flooding and damages throughout the Jacksonville area. Jacksonville had a 3 foot storm surge and is about 3 hours east of Tallahassee. I can't even imagine what all happened in Taylor County (where it made landfall) and Tallahassee (which is less than 30 minutes from the coast. It was a Category 4 with 140+ mph winds when it hit.
DDSO
AG
DDSO said:

My sister is just west of Tallahassee, in Quincy, Fl. As of this morning, the rain gauge was already over flowing at 8 inches. It's going to be a long couple of days.

My sister and them made it through with no problems. They have power and only lost a few small limbs. She said they got very lucky with this storm, as it shifted further east than they expected. They have had a lot worse from weaker storms.
TarponChaser
Talked to my buddy in Port St. Joe. His house is 50 yards off St. Joe Bay and is on stilts. He said they had about a foot of water under the house and lost some screen on their porch along with some limbs down but nothing bad. The area was way worse when Hurricane Michael landed at Mexico Beach, about 20 miles north of him in 2018.

Haven't heard back from my buddy near Apalach.
Ayto Siks
Aries said:

My brother has a house on Anna Maria.....had a live feed up today from the Island.....was getting dicey. Hoping their house makes it okay.

Local news showed fires and flooding in AMI. Didn't look like the Bean Point area to me, but it's hard to say. Love that town, and I hope your brother's house made it through okay. And I hope he likes snook fishing - his house is in the mecca.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.