Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cat 4 to 5 Hurricane Heading to Florida

16,254 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by AgLA06
ChoppinDs40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
News and tv tend to sensationalize these events, believe it or not.

Based on population centers and path of the eye, this thing was a massive near-miss.

Tallahassee was basically untouched. Will there be trees down and maybe power outages for a bit? Sure.

Will there be square miles of homes destructed from wind and rain? No.

Atlanta was square in its path but it made landfall about 60 miles further east than expected and kept plowing north/northeast, sparing Atlanta.

Flooding in Appalachia is bad. Again, low population density.

Doomsday scenario is cat4 hitting Tampa. 20' surge will look like a post-apocalyptic movie if that occurs in Tampa.

Don't look now but Joyce just got named this morning. It may spin off north or may head right for the Carolinas.
sangria
AG
DDSO said:

DDSO said:

My sister is just west of Tallahassee, in Quincy, Fl. As of this morning, the rain gauge was already over flowing at 8 inches. It's going to be a long couple of days.

My sister and them made it through with no problems. They have power and only lost a few small limbs. She said they got very lucky with this storm, as it shifted further east than they expected. They have had a lot worse from weaker storms.
I have family about 20 minutes north of Quincy. Early forecasts showed the eye tracking right over our family farm. Talked to my dad and brother this morning and they had minimal damage, praise the Lord.

This is prime harvest season for that region - cotton, peanuts, fall vegetables, pecans, etc. Southwest Georgia was extremely lucky...southeast Georgia, not so much. I've seen pictures of chicken houses completely demolished, grain bins with just the foundation left, pecan orchards gone, cotton fields that were about to be picked are now completely stripped. So much heartbreak for an industry that was already hanging on by a thread.

One thing I am curious to know about is all the dang solar farms that have been built in that area. Those things are a major biohazard.
Mas89
AG
The solar developers will be fine. They got and sold their federal tax credits for the projects already. Now they can collect from insurance policies. I'd like to hear from some land owners there in a year or two what happened. And if they are still getting paid the annual lease payment if the solar panels were destroyed.
TarponChaser
Mas89 said:

The solar developers will be fine. They got and sold their federal tax credits for the projects already. Now they can collect from insurance policies. I'd like to hear from some land owners there in a year or two what happened. And if they are still getting paid the annual lease payment if the solar panels were destroyed.

Most of those leases should have provisions which allow for the lessor to terminate the lease and require the lessee to remove their equipment if they're unable or unwilling to complete repairs in a specified timeframe after the casualty event.
sangria
AG
I have zero cares about the solar developers. It makes me spitting mad to see farmland being turned into these atrocities.

I'm more concerned about the environmental impact those eyesores are creating for the land and the watershed. That area of Georgia has major commercial vegetable growers. The potential for farmland to be contaminated with heavy metals just blows my mind they thought these things were a good idea. From what has been relayed to me by someone who has been approached about selling out to solar developers, the landowner is on the hook for disposal of any hazardous material.
P.U.T.U
AG
JeremiahJohnson said:

Gonna **** up my Ironman in Chattanooga. They already cancelled the swim. Better not cancel the race.
Not to be that guy but I think that is on the bottom of 99.9% of people's minds right now and this is coming from a former competitive triathlete. Yeah it sucks but you can always do another race
JeremiahJohnson
AG
P.U.T.U said:

JeremiahJohnson said:

Gonna **** up my Ironman in Chattanooga. They already cancelled the swim. Better not cancel the race.
Not to be that guy but I think that is on the bottom of 99.9% of people's minds right now and this is coming from a former competitive triathlete. Yeah it sucks but you can always do another race

It was in poor taste but a joke. Just pointing out it was affecting things as far north as Chatt.

My office is in South Georgia. They got his hard. But not terribly.
P.U.T.U
AG
My friend has a house up in the mountains, high enough not to worry about flooding but said there has been a ton of rain
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I'm in Chatt now and drove up from Mississippi. It was windy but never hit that bad this far west.
sangria
AG
Gonna try to upload some pictures, hopefully they show up. These are all from friends or various Georgia Ag groups from FB:

sangria
AG
Screen grabs from videos. The last pic is of a 60-year old pecan orchard over in Lyons, GA:

Aries
Anna Maria is devestated. 6+ foot storm surge. The couple that manages their house for them lives in their neighborhood but has a street level house. It sounds like it is a total loss.
SteveBott
AG
Seeing reports of 22 up to 26 dead.
Aries
Seeing reports of 40 dead.
LostTexasBoy
AG
One of best friends lives in Asheville, NC and the devastation from the storm is almost indescribable. It is completely cutoff from the outside world except by air along with several other communities in Western North Carolina. Unicoi Hospital is completely flooded. You may have seen clips where over 50 people were rescued from the roof. There is no power or cell service unless you have a generator, wifi, and/or satellite phone. There's not really any way to get in or out of the city either.

Part of I-40 slid into the river in the gorge at the TN and NC state line so that's going to be closed for a while.

It seems the downtown area of Chimney Rock has been completely wiped out by extreme flash flooding.
Independence H-D

Aries
Incredible.
Independence H-D
Mark Fairchild
AG
Well, Helene could possibly be one of the most devastating hurricanes in our history. Perhaps when an AGGIE, because of concern for people's safety, posts hurricane warnings the people on this forum shouldn't ridicule or deride. Perhaps that AGGIE could be have good information. Just a thought!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Aries
Got to Anna Maria Island Wednesday to meet up with my brother & sister in law to help on their rental house. The island is completely devastated. We are cutting & pulling anything from at least 4 feet down. We filled up, at least 50 bags, of trash yesterday, mainly drywall since it's supposed to rain on & off, my sis in law didn't want the garage guys to have to struggle as much.

Heat index was 108 yesterday......brutal.

Only a few places are open & getting to the mainland can be over an hour. Thankfully the main house is fine but the storage/extra space & their garage is trashed.

Mold already growing on the ceilings downstairs. We'll hopefully finish pulling the drywall today.

But this seems almost nothing compared.to TN & NC......
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Were you the dude that was crying?

Geez man, why are you white knighting for this dude? No one is trying to discount the devastating or technically potentially devastating effects of the storm (when the comments were made). The mockery was because this dude started crying over the forecast… it's really that simple. No need to be this obtuse.
Aries
Update:

Long day. We worked 10 hrs solid. For the most part, all of the downstairs is gutted except for a few places (pretty great work by us two in two days). I pulled out a lot by hand to prevent accidently messing up plumbing or fight with electric while he pulled out the big stuff...easy to pull off the 1-3 feet of wet stuff no problem.
He then finished cutting the dry wall in straight lines. Bathroom is gutted except for the tub but it is all exposed. Kitchen area is all to the curb.

Then it started raining again & has continued. Streets all have water over them & no trash has been picked up in this area in days.....so now even worse.

But back at it tomorrow...oh heat index was better at 106.
Ayto Siks
Another system is headed to south Florida...

My neighborhood can't handle any more rain. The lakes are full, the ditches are full, there are minnows in the street right now. The golf course lake flooded into my backyard and hasn't receded.

We might leave even if it's not a hurricane. Just don't feel like messing with the flooding again.
ChoppinDs40
AG
If this tracks, it's doomsday.

Like real bad. Tampa is under 15' water. It will align with high tide also.

Water flooded for 20+ miles inland. This will bankrupt a few insurance carriers and FEMA will have billions in claims. Billions.
trip98
AG
FEMA already saying they are out of money
Insurance companies gonna file for bankruptcy protection instead of paying out for claims

Gonna end up with a lot of people moving at least further inland and folks with enough money to self insure are gonna gobble up beachfront property cheap
Aries
Bad part here at Anna Maria is that hardly any trash has been picked up in front of houses. All of this crap will fly or float away. That includes mattress, bed frames, cleaning supplies,.paint cans, appliances,.etc. grounds are still so saturated & it has rained every night (currently storming now). There is inches of water in the yard leftover from yesterday's rain.....the water will have no where to go.

Good thing, everything on the inside is already ripped out.

But I'm sending my husband as tribute next time.
Aries
Nothing like cleaning up from a hurricane to turn around & prepare for another hurricane while a tropical disturbance is going on.
Independence H-D
Cat 5
Matsui
AG
wowzers
ChoppinDs40
AG
This is end of times level event for Tampa if it holds. Tracking to go along the entire I-4 corridor.

For some carriers, Helene is already the largest insurance claim event in history. Milton is going to top that.

Current models are showing this will remain a hurricane for its entire path over Florida.
Aries
Well this sucks. My brother is flying out first thing tomorrow morning. They could lose the house.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
Al Bula
AG
trip98 said:

Insurance companies gonna file for bankruptcy protection instead of paying out for claims

Gonna end up with a lot of people moving at least further inland and folks with enough money to self insure are gonna gobble up beachfront property cheap
rather than get political, this is just for perspective. Imagine how easy it would be to help our own citizens in the midst of natural disasters if we weren't lighting billions of dollars on fire by shipping it to Israel, Ukraine, Iran and others.

Disgusting.
GeorgiAg
AG
I have timber property in middle-south Georgia. Helene kicked our butts. From our forester:

Quote:

The damage observed in Emanuel County is something I could not have prepared myself for (which says a lot, considering that I am a native Floridian). From structural and timber damage, felled powerlines, cows no longer contained to their pastures, to orchard destruction, some of the areas in and around Twin City and Swainsboro appeared to be a third world country. From the several reports gathered this week, it is believed that Emanuel County received wind gusts from 83 to 105 mph and had several undocumented tornadoes touchdown.

Also, my GF broke her arm trying to move a downed tree at the house. She had to have surgery with hardware. In the words of Roberto Duran, "no mas, no mas."
AgLA06
AG
Al Bula said:

trip98 said:

rather than get political, this is just for perspective. Imagine how easy it would be to help our own citizens in the midst of natural disasters if we weren't lighting billions of dollars on fire by shipping it to Israel, Ukraine, Iran and others.

Disgusting.
Rather than get policial, I'm going to get political.

It's not a either / or.

I don't like sending money to 100 different African nations. That' doesn't impact whether we take care of our own either.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.