Outdoors
Sponsored by

In the market for a new side by side

9,403 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by milkman00
dodger02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Daddy-O5 said:

normaleagle05 said:

Or buy a brand new Jeep Wrangler and keep $13k in your pocket.

Just silly.
I'm pretty amazed why more people don't look at used wranglers for 7.5-15k and even if you need to tinker and dump a little money into them, you save tens of thousands of dollars vs. the cost of a new (or even used) side by side.

I know there are pros/cons/differences between side by sides and jeeps depending on wants/needs, so not implying a used jeep would suit OP's needs or anyone else's directly. Just a general observation considering the cost of SxS's these days.
This times eleventy billion.

There are dozens of TJs and 2-door JKs for sale in Central Texas for $10-15k. Pick your mileage. Oh, and grab a Quadratec catalog and replace whatever needs replacing in the driveway.

I don't know what a SxS can do that my JK can't.

To each his own. But my best friend just sold his 2-door 2008 JK for like $11k. It might need $2-3k of miscellaneous nuisance repairs. But that's still 1/3rd the price of many SxSs.
ag94whoop
AG
I prefer CanAm Defender Max.
Owned Mule Pro FXT and was good but the CanAm is smoother, quieter and bigger.
Kawasaki probably makes best engines but they just are meh on everything else imo.
Looking at the new Kaw ridge hvac and it's nice but pricey

schmellba99
AG
dodger02 said:

Daddy-O5 said:

normaleagle05 said:

Just silly.
I'm pretty amazed why more people don't look at used wranglers for 7.5-15k and even if you need to tinker and dump a little money into them, you save tens of thousands of dollars vs. the cost of a new (or even used) side by side.

I know there are pros/cons/differences between side by sides and jeeps depending on wants/needs, so not implying a used jeep would suit OP's needs or anyone else's directly. Just a general observation considering the cost of SxS's these days.

There are dozens of TJs and 2-door JKs for sale in Central Texas for $10-15k. Pick your mileage. Oh, and grab a Quadratec catalog and replace whatever needs replacing in the driveway.

To each his own. But my best friend just sold his 2-door 2008 JK for like $11k. It might need $2-3k of miscellaneous nuisance repairs. But that's still 1/3rd the price of many SxSs.
A lot.

I used to be in the same boat of "get a Jeep, they do more for less". But they really don't. I suppose a lot of it depends on where you are geographically and what your uses are. In the hill country or trans-Pecos region, yeah, a Jeep is probably a better overall vehicle at least when you look at options for initial costs and capabilities.

But I guarantee you with 100% accuracy that down on the coast in the Brazos bottoms where I'm at, our basic SxS's will go places and do things that a Jeep couldn't come close to doing, and in the places a Jeep could go, the side by side has significantly less ground impact than the Jeep would. Same in east Texas or South Texas as well where the ground isn't hard limestone or caliche.
tlh3842
AG
schmellba99 said:

dodger02 said:

Daddy-O5 said:

normaleagle05 said:

Just silly.

A lot.

I used to be in the same boat of "get a Jeep, they do more for less". But they really don't. I suppose a lot of it depends on where you are geographically and what your uses are. In the hill country or trans-Pecos region, yeah, a Jeep is probably a better overall vehicle at least when you look at options for initial costs and capabilities.

But I guarantee you with 100% accuracy that down on the coast in the Brazos bottoms where I'm at, our basic SxS's will go places and do things that a Jeep couldn't come close to doing, and in the places a Jeep could go, the side by side has significantly less ground impact than the Jeep would. Same in east Texas or South Texas as well where the ground isn't hard limestone or caliche.

Fully agreed. If a person is honest when they think it through (or better yet has someone with a Jeep they're thinking of getting) and confirms a Jeep can do every thing they'll ever want to do, then sure go Jeep. But when you need a UTV, it's the only thing that will work. Have some bottom land in Brazos County, and so many days in the winter where the only thing that won't tear up roads or fields when I have to cross them is a UTV. When I have to get in the flooded timber to fill feeders and get closer to a couple duck holes, literally nothing will do that other than a UTV or tractor depending on the location and weather at the time.
Gunny456
AG
No doubt.
Deerdude
And I'm a CJ guy, but SxS are so much smoother than a vehicle. We utilized the TTT program to control numbers, and chasing helos across pastures was much easier in my Polaris than in the ranch truck or Jeep.
AgsMnn
AG
Kawasaki did upgrade their engine to 1000cc.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I own an RZR and have owned a Jeep. You can do 1000x more in a SXS than a Jeep. They are more comfortable, you can ride them hard. You can even roll them with minimal damage.(done this a few times).
Only advantage to a Jeep is being able to drive on the road. My RZR is also a lot more reliable than my CJ was.

With that being said when my RZR dies, I want a small suv like a FJ60, FJ40, CJ7 or maybe even a Roxor.

My only reasoning is driving around town in the vehicle and I don't have room for both right now.
schmellba99
AG
You can make SxS street legal in Texas now. Some limitations, but not much effort. And honestly a whole lot of places don't even mess with you for driving them on the roads as it is.
schmellba99
AG
AgsMnn said:

Kawasaki did upgrade their engine to 1000cc.
They finally got the recall taken care of on the new 1000's. Wish they had stuck with the 3 cylinder Cheri engine instead of going with a 2 cylinder. Hell, all they really needed to do was open up the 820cc engine - there is a lot of unused capabilities that Kawi just, for whatever reason, won't access.
normaleagle05
AG
JeremiahJohnson said:

I own an RZR and have owned a Jeep. You can do 1000x more in a SXS than a Jeep. They are more comfortable, you can ride them hard. You can even roll them with minimal damage.(done this a few times).
Only advantage to a Jeep is being able to drive on the road. My RZR is also a lot more reliable than my CJ was.

With that being said when my RZR dies, I want a small suv like a FJ60, FJ40, CJ7 or maybe even a Roxor.

My only reasoning is driving around town in the vehicle and I don't have room for both right now.

I suspect there is a lot of bias in many of the comparisons out there because people are comparing an off-road setup SxS to an on-road setup Jeep.

37" mud terrains, bead locks, and 5lbs of air in the tires will completely change the Jeep's ride and performance. And probably bring the weight difference close to parity.

Admittedly, I have less experience with a SxS.
schmellba99
AG
normaleagle05 said:

JeremiahJohnson said:

I suspect there is a lot of bias in many of the comparisons out there because people are comparing an off-road setup SxS to an on-road setup Jeep.

37" mud terrains, bead locks, and 5lbs of air in the tires will completely change the Jeep's ride and performance. And probably bring the weight difference close to parity.

So now you are spending way more than $10k on a jeep, because throwing 37's on also means you are talking about lifts, more substantial axles and differentials, lockers, etc. and it takes all of that to match what a bone stock Mule PRO or Can Am can do, and it still will cause more ground damage and is significantly larger.

Back to what I said earlier though - huge difference in hill country caliche roads that can easily be traversed by a stock or close to stock jeep and Beaumont Clay formation mud in the Brazos river bottoms where you have 12" of standing water and 12" of soupy mud that you have to go 2 miles through, as well as having areas that are narrow in width because you are in thick wooded area. Or trying to navigate through east texas red clay and sand and pine trees, etc.

If I'm hunting in central Texas or out west in the trans Pecos area, I'm taking a jeep and probably not thinking twice about it. But a jeep isn't making it to my deer blind right now. A buggy is, and does it without much effort. Just depends on needs.
normaleagle05
AG
schmellba99 said:

normaleagle05 said:

JeremiahJohnson said:

So now you are spending way more than $10k on a jeep, because throwing 37's on also means you are talking about lifts, more substantial axles and differentials, lockers, etc. and it takes all of that to match what a bone stock Mule PRO or Can Am can do, and it still will cause more ground damage and is significantly larger.

I've never seen anyone offer evidence or a physics explanation on this being true if the Jeep was on bigger tires with low air pressure. Again, it's just not a fair comparison if the Jeep is set up for highway traffic.

And you don't need new axles to turn 37s. A cheap spacer lift wouldn't hurt. But for the price difference people are spending you could go all out and put on ProRock Dana 80s and 42" tires.
Deerdude
I was wheeling my CJ with Wag gy 44's and 35's and broke a front axle shaft and I don't abuse it when I wheel. Lotsa torque with those bigger tires
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Here is some evidence - our landowner doesn't ***** about any UTV being driven on the property when the roads are wet because they leave minimal surface damage. Any vehicle, including jeeps has a much deeper rut and he *****es/prefers us not to use them

In addition, our duck club specifically outlaws vehicle and requires UTV/ATV for the exact same reason. My Ranger unloaded weighs about 1500lbs…. Hard to argue with the physics when the weight is significantly lighter and if you go with a larger and wider tire it may reduce the depth of rut but the surface area is significantly larger and therefore still worse
schmellba99
AG
normaleagle05 said:

schmellba99 said:

normaleagle05 said:

JeremiahJohnson said:

I've never seen anyone offer evidence or a physics explanation on this being true if the Jeep was on bigger tires with low air pressure. Again, it's just not a fair comparison if the Jeep is set up for highway traffic.

And you don't need new axles to turn 37s. A cheap spacer lift wouldn't hurt. But for the price difference people are spending you could go all out and put on ProRock Dana 80s and 42" tires.
Drive a jeep through swamp mud and on mud roads.
Drive a buggy through swamp mud and on mud roads.

100% guarantee you that the jeep will have significantly more ground disturbance, even with big tires aired down. Bigger, heavier machines that require more power and more torque to move are just that way. An old school Honda 250 4 wheeler has less ground disturbance than a Mule does too. Doesn't take a physics PhD to figure that out.

But you are also moving goalposts with the heavily modified jeep versus SxS that was originally discussed. Wny not talk about putting tracks on things since you are moving the convo to something it wasn't originally?

Look, jeeps are awesome. Fun as hell. But when it comes to some situations, they aren't all that great compared to other vehicles. This isn't a hard concept to grasp.
schmellba99
AG
Yup.

Also, a UTV with stock all terrain tires can go through a whole lot of stuff that it would take Boggers on a jeep to go through. Those stock tires just don't tear much up. I'm kind of aggravated at my buddy on our lease right now because he put his mud tires on his buggy simply because he bought them and wanted to use them. Which is fine, but the problem is that the mud tires just tear ish up wheras our stock/summer tires don't tear much up at all.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
A CJ7 weighs 2700+lbs. My Polaris RZR weighs 1150lbs. It's not rocket science on why they are less damaging and move through mud easier.

They both have their place. But a SXS is 100x better than a Jeep on mud and rougher terrain.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I run two sets of tires on mine. One for duck hunting and one for deer hunting. The duck tires are phenomenal in mud but hell on roads and beat you to death on pavement.
normaleagle05
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I run two sets of tires on mine. One for duck hunting and one for deer hunting. The duck tires are phenomenal in mud but hell on roads and beat you to death on pavement.

Get outta here with that. Schmelba has already shot down the idea of tuning your tires to the situation in this discussion.
GentrysMillTX10
AG
No complaints with can am. I went to Hoffpaur in Goldthwaite and test drove Polaris and can am on a small course behind their shop. That was the deciding factor for me.

My dad drives the blue one around the ranch. He's bound to a walker but can get in and out of the can am easier than a pickup.

The 6x6 with a 6 ft bed is a beast! Even with 6 tires, it's way less ground disturbance than a farm truck when it's muddy.

These machines are 2 years old.

schmellba99
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Same.

I have "summer" tires and mud tires.

Summer tires are Bighorns, which run smooth on pavement and do surprisingly well in even heavier mud. Mud tires are Highlifters, and they are brutal on hard pavement but will go through stuff that is impressive.

A buddy of mine has Terminator mud tires and they are shockingly smooth on hard pavement or caliche, wish I had gotten those instead of the highlifters.
schmellba99
AG
normaleagle05 said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Get outta here with that. Schmelba has already shot down the idea of tuning your tires to the situation in this discussion.
Your comprehension isn't good. Work on that.
Thaddeus Beauregard
Schmelba is spot on with the SxS vs modded Jeep off-road comparison.

I have 2 hunting leases, one in west Texas and one in the Sabine River bottom in east Texas.

On the west Texas lease, you can use virtually any vehicle you want to get around anywhere 90%+ of the time. The Sabine bottom lease is the muddiest, soupiest piece of property I've ever seen, and it seems it gets progressively harder to get around on each fall. Where my blinds are located, it floods knee deep at least twice yearly and there are times when it's been raining a lot that I can't even hunt because too much of the property is underwater.

To get to my blinds on that place, a UTV or ATV are literally the only vehicles that will make it without sinking down to the frame and getting high centered, where you have to slowly winch yourself out. A tractor can't make it. No jeep has a prayer of a chance when it's been raining a fair amount. Hell, even my Kawasaki Teryx gets stuck occasionally in certain areas. You cannot even walk through certain parts of the trails leading to my blinds.

It's really insane and depressing what these new SxSs cost!
AgsMnn
AG
Went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Ranger.

Found a 24 model with no roof since we will be fabricating our own.

Huge difference going from a 4010 mule to this.

Also, need to look at sound bars and windshields.

Any suggestions?

We didn't need a windshield for the mule since it barely broke 20. This one we will need.
slammerag
AG
If you want to be able to go fast, Polaris or can am. Polaris has parasitic drain issues, voltage regulator and fuel pump issues ( I have one and have dealt with this). I'm adding a perko switch to disconnect battery. I have some buddies with can ams that have been in shop multiple times with various electrical issues. They all have issues to some extent.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Bunch of options for soundbars but WetSounds is really the best option out there, in my opinion. Their new Stealth 12 soundbar is supposed to have better bass on it and their 10 is plenty loud. Their other soundbars are great but lacked a little bass. I actually have a 10 and a 6 in my ranger, plus a sub... it is absolutely overkill but I had a connection to get everything at a great price. Happy to share pics or talk about install on it with you.

Regarding the windshield - I am personally a fan of any option with some sort of vents on it. I have a poly one with vents and I don't have the issues with the dust vortex that a fully closed one has. I would prefer a glass one with vents if I did it over again. However, I really only run the windshield if it is very cold outside. Most of the time I just run without it but if I have the kids with me or its just really dang cold, I will put it back on. For that reason, I would strongly look at something that has the lock & ride for easy removal.

Towing with the windshield on adds about 1,000lbs to the trailer... maybe not that much but its a damn big difference in how it feels. You also have to be concerned with glass catching a rock or something but I see enough folks traveling down I-10 during hunting season that it can't be THAT common.

Good luck!
JeremiahJohnson
AG
For the windshield make sure it vents otherwise you will just create a vortex and suck dust into the cab. I removed my windshield on my RZR for this reason and save it for only when it rains or brutally cold.
Deerdude
My Ranger diesel is a 12 so old . I've got a pro Box Too on it that I love. My stereo died and with BT you really only need speakers these days.
I've always run the clear plastic golf cart windshields that fold down on half. My ranch hand likes to have it clean for me when I go down do they only last a few years before the sand laced washrag scratches them so bad I just replace.
Back window a must to help reduce dust vortex but it's not foolproof.
Kenneth_2003
AG
If you like the Polaris Ranger, look at Bobcat

Made by Polaris without the Polaris price tag. The only difference is the Bobcat ECU governs the unit at 35mph vs the crazy Polaris top end speed. If you want to run 60, you can swap the ECU.

Note about the price tag on the photo in the 2nd post on the thread. That unit was in Idaho. I can see that "Northstar" edition being very important if you're ever out working in that part of the world in winter. Put those doors on with the AC & Heater and the price tag jumps quick.
Gunny456
AG
Interesting you make the comment about Can Am being noisy. When I shopped for my 6 place UTV I had two priorities….. ride and quiet. I have really bad ears and wanted the most quiet gas unit.
In so shopping and taking test rides I carried a decibel meter with me to actually measure sound in the drivers seat.
I test rode the Polaris 1000 and the Can Am HDX10 powered Lone Star Edition at the same dealer on the same day. ( Haufpauir in Goldwaithe ).
The Lonestar was lower in decibels than the Polaris in sound.
I bought the Lonestar….. but I also bought a Polaris EV Ranger…. Can't get much quieter.
Mas89
AG
How do you like the ev Polaris? Interesting but I've never seen or heard of them.
Gunny456
AG
Well I got it about five years ago. As I posted I wanted a simple side by side that was quiet as possible. I test rode one and liked it so bought it.
I needed something to run around the ranch in, that my bride could also use to run around the ranch in…. and not put all that use and hours on the Lonestar.
How do I like it? It goes anywhere a gas will go. Same drivetrain as the gas Ranger….. same selective four wheel drive, selective differential lock, same turf saver drive feature… and you have three speed ranges to chose from…. So like in low with 4 wheel drive and differential lock engaged it will almost climb a tree and it rides really well. I have not had one "mechanical" issue and we truly use it everyday.
The range is great. I can run around our place and put two or three miles on it a day and charge it overnight once a week.
I have never had it stuck or had it someplace it would not pull out of.
Now the bad……. It came with 6 12 volt large wet cell batteries. Checking the water in them was a PIA so I installed a watering system that cost $400.00. It worked well. The batteries lasted great for four years… then went kaput.
So I replaced all with AGM batteries….. cost about $2700.00. All good till about a month ago. Now I have some type of power issue and I am going nuts trying to figure out if I have a bad battery, controller or motor.
Little help from Polaris. Their customer service is atrocious…. and that's a true understatement.
So…. after all my talking here…. to answer your question…I really, really like it……before my problem.
Hoping to figure out what's up.
In hindsight I wish I would have converted it to lithium.
Mas89
AG
Well I see the new ones can come with the lithium batteries. That would be the easiest way to solve your problem. Trade in.
DTP02
AG
We just got one of these for our place in E TX:

https://can-am.brp.com/off-road/us/en/models/side-by-side-vehicles/commander.html#commander_max-xt

Really like it so far: very smooth ride and handled the muddy hills and streams well after some heavy rains this week. Big upgrade from our Mule in terms of the ride.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.