Outdoors
Sponsored by

In the market for a new side by side

9,395 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by milkman00
AgsMnn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We currently have a Mule 4010. Wanting to get something faster and smoother riding.

The old mule will become the kids since it does not go fast and I feel better with them driving that one. They won't be allowed to drive the faster one.

Looking at Rangers, Can-Am, and the Mule Pro.

What are positives and negatives of each?
Mas89
AG

We saw a lot full of different brands on a recent trip in Idaho and stopped to look. This new ranger was nice but I just can't imagine the price of it. Crazy to think they actually sell for that much.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Gonna get opinions from all over the map on this one. I have a 2017 900xp ranger that has been amazing with the only 'issue' being needing new cv joints this past year. Its easy enough to work on for regular maintenance and modifications are endless.

With that said, We have 4 Mules and 2 Can Ams at the plants I manage. Both are great machines and I would not hesitate to buy any of them. If I had to choose, I would go with the Mule, then Polaris, then Can Am.
ought1ag
AG
Polaris is the fastest one I have personally been in.......a year later it was still fast but not smooth at all and seems to get worse every year

best speed/smooth combo that I have been in is a john deere gator......its the same now as it was 4 years ago.

now that being said owners of each of those dont treat them the same if you know what I mean.

for reference I have a 24 year old mule that is neither fast nor smooth so anything else seems like a rocket floating through space
shalackin
AG
I have a canam maxx lonestar. I don't think I would pay for the lonestar again if I did it over. I think the only thing is the badging and the radio/speakers. and I hate the radio. I would rather grab a Sonos speaker or something and then take it to charge each time.

I rented a new Polaris North Star in red river this summer and was disappointed. Prior to buying my can am, I was really a Polaris guy. There are still some things I like about them over can am, but overall comfort wasn't even close. the can am is much more comfortable and spacious feeling. and performance is just as good.
Muzzleblast
This is the Mule I purchased about 6 months ago. Seriously nice. Quite fast. I've owned two Polaris Rangers and they were fine. Polaris service in Bryan soured me on buying a new one.
Purchased my Mule from Madisonville Kawasaki and they have been great. Taking it in today for them to install a Golight Stryker spotlight on a new roof.

JeremiahJohnson
AG
I currently own an RZR that i bought new in 2014. It has been great. Never had any issues that i couldnt fix myself. It is a blast to drive and can take a beating. But i can't bring myself to pay for current prices.

My next is likely a Roxor. Essentially an ugly Jeep Willy with diesel motor. Can get parts to make it street legal and register it in Montana. With reciprocity it should be ok for most roads.
jpistolero02
I have had a Mule Pro FXT since 2016. It's been a great rig. It's not the fastest, but plenty fast for what I need. It's been 100% reliable and would buy another one if I needed one.
Furlock Bones
AG
Good lord that price tag. no. just no.
Mas89
AG
Hey post some photos of the new roof and spotlight when you get it back please. Have the same and interested.
Gunny456
AG
Due to work I can get Yamahas really right so I had two Rhinos and one Viking over a 6 yr timeframe. Great machines but very loud. Due to my ears had to make a change.
After couple of others and test rides I bought a Can Am Lonestar. The first one had some surging issues they could not fix so they replaced it. It has been good so bought another. It has been good. Rides well and quiet.
They probably all have plus and minus points.
Can Am was the most quiet and smoothest riding of all I tested…which was important to me.
I also have a Polaris EV Ranger. I like it for what it is. My wife has taken it over to run around the ranch in.

That's all I got…..
'03ag
Not much experience here but I've rented one and then done a guided tour in the mountains with the family. I'll tell you what I was told by our guide, who drives and maintains several brands/models(can am, honda pioneers, kawasaki teryx, and polaris rangers are what I saw).

The Hondas were the most reliable but rode rough(he suspected the rough ride probably made the suspension last longer). They're whole outfit prefers the ride of the Can-Ams, and he said that's what he'd buy for himself.
Gunny456
AG
Go ride in all of them and buy the one you like the best. It's your money. Everybody will tell you there brands are the best….. but you gotta buy what you feel is the best for you.
Ride them somewhere besides a smooth road.
Deerdude
Dang, thought this was a scattergun thread.
AgsMnn
AG
Definitely plan on it for sure. Was looking for any positives and negatives.

I wish the Mule had a larger bed. I know you can expand it, but you lose seating.

Can-Am, you can get key fobs installed that limit the speed. If the kids drive it, I could limit the speed.

Polaris is honestly the lowest price based off online checks.
Deerdude
I've got a 12 diesel Polaris Ranger Crew that's been pretty much bulletproof after over 6000 hours. Cost me all of $12k off the lot.
Bought a Kubota diesel last year for about $16k . They are the convertible second row seats, or more bed space. Probably the slowest on the market but that was plan as I have a 25 yo nephew that means well but hard on equipment.

Prices are insane on those things these days. Best of luck.
Gunny456
AG
Check with Haufpauir in Goldwaithe… they sell Polaris and Cam Am … at least they did when I bought mine. Also H&W in Marshal
AgsMnn
AG
Any decent dealer recommendations?
Deerdude
I don't know where you are located but I love the service at Tuttle in Jourdanton so would go there for a Polaris, and I think that they handle other brands now.
jpistolero02
The shorter wheelbase was one of the reasons I went with the Mule Pro FXT. I can see why you would want the longer wheelbase in 4 person mode though. I think it just depends on how you use it most of the time. If I want a bigger bed, I have that option and then it's actually bigger than the Ranger.
P.U.T.U
AG
I forget the model Can am we have but it goes north of 60mph. We had to limit it with all the kids driving and terrain we have
cryption
I'm surprised the Honda Pioneer isn't on your list. The Pioneer has a shiftable transmission and not a CVT - for that reason it's the one I always buy
SunrayAg
AG
I don't make recommendations anymore because nothing new seems to be built as well as they used to be.
dudeabides
AG

2005 Ranger. She maybe fugly by today's standards, but she still gets the job done! Tough as nails.
cashag95
AG
Cross posting from Classifieds in case you didn't see this one:
https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/3481945
schmellba99
AG
Mas89 said:

We saw a lot full of different brands on a recent trip in Idaho and stopped to look. This new ranger was nice but I just can't imagine the price of it. Crazy to think they actually sell for that much.
Taking a SxS and doing everything you can to turn it into a Jeep is dumb and defeats the purpose of a SxS in the first place IMO.

normaleagle05
AG
Or buy a brand new Jeep Wrangler and keep $13k in your pocket.

Just silly.
schmellba99
AG
AgsMnn said:

Definitely plan on it for sure. Was looking for any positives and negatives.

I wish the Mule had a larger bed. I know you can expand it, but you lose seating.

Can-Am, you can get key fobs installed that limit the speed. If the kids drive it, I could limit the speed.

Polaris is honestly the lowest price based off online checks.
I have a Mule PRO.

The adjustable bed is awesome IMO, especially since I can put it in a full sized bed configuration and not have a buggy that is 22 feet long with a half mile turn radius and crap ground clearance.

When I'm filling feeders, etc. I rarely have more than 1 person with me (can't actually think of a time I have had more than 1 person TBH), so the lack of additional seating isn't a loss.

The only time I've ever had any struggles with hauling capacity was when 3 of us were Texas safari hunting at a buddy's place and we shot 3 does. Since we didn't want to cram into the front seat together (made it near impossible to effectively move rifles while drinking beer and we aren't gay), loading 3 white tail in the bed was a smidge of a challenge at first but we managed just fine after a little finagling. I have a front basket on a hitch now that I can add in case I ever get in that situation again. Or use it for an ice chest and still have a full sized bed, which is what I do most of the time.

The Mule isn't RZR fast, but I don't want it to be either. I can get up to something like 47 in mine, which on pavement is fine but there is no way in hell I want to get anywhere near that fast on the absolute garbage roads on the lease that the stupid cows tear up on the regular, so the speed aspect is a non factor for me.

I do wish it had more low end torque to spin tires gummed up in mud better, that is a drawback. It works, but it would be really nice if it could spin the larger mud tires better than it does.

One of the guys on the lease has a Can Am, and it is nice. Only complaint I would have about it is that the front and back seat model extend the length out more than I like and the ground clearance isn't all that great. But really good power, every bit as quiet as our Mule PRO's are, good ride and ergos are damn good. Whenever I am ready to upgrade to a new buggy, Can Am will absolutely be on the list to give a test drive on.
Muzzleblast
I'll do it when it comes back from the install.
aggiehoops1991
AG
We do custom roofs, high seats, bumpers etc on new Polaris, can-am etc. this is Polaris we just finished.

Feel free to reach out if this is something you'd be interested in.
Newoldarmy
AG
I own a Defender, Mule FXT, and a Ranger. It's my 3rd or 4th Ranger and will be my last.

Each successive Ranger model has been more cheaply made than the previous one.

I think the Mule is probably the best as far as durability.
Daddy-O5
AG
normaleagle05 said:

Or buy a brand new Jeep Wrangler and keep $13k in your pocket.

Just silly.
I'm pretty amazed why more people don't look at used wranglers for 7.5-15k and even if you need to tinker and dump a little money into them, you save tens of thousands of dollars vs. the cost of a new (or even used) side by side.

I know there are pros/cons/differences between side by sides and jeeps depending on wants/needs, so not implying a used jeep would suit OP's needs or anyone else's directly. Just a general observation considering the cost of SxS's these days.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Side by sides always illicit some very strong opinions. Most of that is anecdotal and based on a negative experience but very rarely are the facts truly shared as to the why.

The main thing to note is how is the UTV being used? I duck hunt with guys that have mules, CanAms, and Rangers (the one guy I duck hunted with a Honda doesn't duck hunt anymore because he's too cool - you know who you are).

Every single one of those models have issues if you're a dumbass and drive your machine like you're in the blitzkrieg on the way to the duck blind. Throwing 6" portals and 33-34" tires on your machine also causes things to break…
Both mechanically and because the driver now thinks their machine is unstoppable.

It also depends on how well you clean the machine after using it. Mud caked on the frame and bushings rusts stuff out and leads to premature failure. The guys that keep buggies clean are usually the ones with less problems.

On the deer lease, I prefer the ride of a ranger or canam. The mule is a good option but the lack of bed space is a non starter for me. Too often are we hauling 15 bags of feed or a feeder, or a bunch of crap that you cannot really haul in the mule bed without adjusting the back seat for more bed space. Aside from that issue, the mule is a great option for ranch like conditions.

The new rangers have steel belts which is a big improvement. Although for as much as people have problems with them, I haven't had any issues with mine in 4 years… I think/lnow a lot of people with issues on their belts don't know how to properly utilize the L gear, especially with lift kits and bigger tires. The canams are solid machines but they come with a premium. The mules are great machines but have a slight limitation, in my opinion, on bed space.

Rangers are also the jeeps of UTVs and aftermarket parts, accessories, and videos to help with installation are much more readily available. I think that is appealing for a lot of folks.

TLDR; Your UTV is a machine not a tank. Take care of it, be smart, and try not to best the crap out of it and you should be fine. Canam is most expensive, followed by Ranger, and then mule. I don't think you can wrong with any of those.

Good luck!

ConfidentAg
AG
Anyone have any experience with the Mahindra Roxor?

Edit: use will be heading back and forth to the stand and booze cruising the ranch. Do not expect to go faster than 20mph
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Those are badass but I cannot imagine having a truck payment for a side by side!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.