Outdoors
Sponsored by

Rocky Mtn NP Trip Report

2,952 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by TAM85
tsuag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Spent the last couple of days experiencing Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado with the family. We try to visit annually around this time of year. Every time we come back here we see something awesome we haven't seen before. This time it was some new views on a hike and several moose. We saw 8 total moose (2 bulls, 4 cows, 2 calves). Way more than we've ever seen before. I'm sure there are other parks that top the views and wildlife (Glacier NP is very high on my to-do list), but Rocky never disappoints. Here's some pics. All iPhone pics; sorry the quality isn't better.

Cow and Calf Moose on the West side of the park heading down towards Grand Lake.

Bachelor Group of Elk near the Alpine Visitors Center along Old Fall River Road.

Dream Lake; in the Bear Lake area of the park.

View headed from Nymph Lake to Dream Lake.

Young Cow Moose along Old Fall River Road.

View of the Alpine Tundra near the Alpine Visitors Center along Old Fall River Road.
tsuag10
AG
Sorry for the multiple threads. Staff, please delete other 2.
Todd 02
AG
Heck yeah!! I'm taking the family up there at the end of the month. We went for the first time two years ago and can't hardly wait to go back.
tsuag10
AG
Bull moose, Alluvial Fan Waterfall, and some young sheep in the meadow.

DOCAG79
AG
Going to Denver for a wedding in three weeks, then wife and I will be heading to Estes Park for a few days of getting away from the heat in Houston. Always a treat going to "God's Country"!!!
dodger02
AG
This is one of our favorite spots to vacation. Last time, we hiked to Sky Pond and it was 100% worth it.
danielm99
AG
Just did Sky Pond Monday with the family. It was awesome. Although a lady did break her ankle climbing the waterfall section. I didn't see it happen, but when we climbed back down the waterfall section she was still there and it looked bad.

That's my future class of '29 daughter.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Planning to hit all 4 national parks in Colorado soon. On the list. We are trying to hit all the NP's we can.
Glacier is next though.
AgRyan04
tsuag10 said:

Cow and Calf Moose on the West side of the park heading down towards Grand Lake.

Was this along the Coyote Valley trail?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
tsuag10
AG
Actually it was along the paved Trail Ridge Road headed down the west side. Probably 1/3 of the way from the top down to Grand Lake.

And the bull moose was just this morning at the Sheep Lakes right inside the Fall River Entrance.
danielm99
AG
If you want to try something different and cool in Estes, look up the Cloud Ladder Via Ferrata. I just did it Saturday with my oldest daughter.

AgRyan04
Thats in the neighborhood of the Coyote Valley trail....I wonder if its the same cow and calf we saw last week

tsuag10
AG
A little closer to Grand Lake, maybe near Coyote Valley trail, we saw another cow and calf running hard across an open meadow. She was booking it and her calf was doing its best to keep up about 100 yards behind. Pretty neat to see, but we didn't get any pictures.
tmtxco
AG
RMNP is an incredibly special place to our family. This is our 10th summer out here. Today, the wife and I hiked Finch and Pear Lakes in Wild Basin.

tsuag10, you did a great job hitting the highlights and had great luck spotting the wildlife.
dodger02
AG
Gross. That's an intimidating section.

My daughter went ass over teakettle on our way down the snow shelf even with spikes. Scared the piss out of her.
tsuag10
AG
Agree on the luck with spotting wildlife. My wife's family has been coming (almost exclusively on the east side) for 20+ yrs and they have almost never seen moose. I talked to one of the rangers and she said the moose population on the east side has really done well lately. She said historically you had to go to the west side to see them.

To see so many this trip was really awesome.
AgRyan04
There are a handful up in the Lily Lake area between Longs Peak and Wild Basin entrances
docb
AG
This was my driveway last week

Todd 02
AG
I mean what do you expect when you put a collar on 'em?!?
docb
AG
It is hard to appreciate how tall a moose is until you get close to one. And these guys are nothing compared to the ones in Alaska.
TAM85
We will be up there first week of August. From Estes Park could we take Old Fall River Road to the Alpine Visitor's Center and then take Trail Ridge Road back to Estes Park?

Would you recommend taking Trail Ridge Road to the west side of the park (is it worth the drive)?

Is there a fly fishing guide out of Estes Park that you would recommend?

Thanks,
danielm99
AG
Once you pass the Alpine Visitors center going towards Grand Lake there isn't much else to see. We just did it Sunday. I'd go a little ways and then turn around near the Continental Divide. There is a pond there on the left that had male and female elk grazing. My guess is they are there often since a park ranger was there directing traffic. Past that you head down hill and it's a lot of burned trees. We kept going hoping to see something else cool but never did.
TAM85
Daniel, thanks for that advice.
danielm99
AG
Also, at the Alpine Visitors Center there are 2 buildings. One is the actual Visitors Center. It opens at 9:30 and has a small gift shop in it. The other building opens at 9:00 and contains a very large gift shop and a cafe serving hot chocolate, cinnamon rolls and some other stuff. My family found that store to be the best one we went in to for souvenirs. And we went in every freaking store in Estes.
AgRyan04
TAM85 said:

We will be up there first week of August. From Estes Park could we take Old Fall River Road to the Alpine Visitor's Center and then take Trail Ridge Road back to Estes Park?

Would you recommend taking Trail Ridge Road to the west side of the park (is it worth the drive)?

Thanks,

Yes on Old Fall River....just know it is a one way dirt road with a lot of exposure...once you're on it, you're on it. Beautiful drive though!

If it's your first time to RMNP and you just have a few days, there is enough to do on the east side to fill your time....but the west side is beautiful, a lot more Moose, and the town of Grand Lake is like a quieter, less bustling Estes Park.

Most recommendations on fly fishing in Estes Ive seen are for Kirk's Fly Shop and Estes Anglers.

Best food in town, in our opinion, is Hunters Chop House.....Smoked elk carpaccio and the bison lasagne are my go to's but we've never had a bad meal there in the 8-10 times we've been

Enjoy!
NotalentAG
AG
Yeswould recommend taking Trail Ridge Road over to the west side of the park. Following TRR all the way to the far west side of the park takes you into the town of Grand Lake. This a beautiful small town/village.

There is a Kirk's Flyshop location in both Estes Park and Grand Lake that can arrange guided fishing trip. Also plenty of DIY options on the streams on both sides of the park.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Awesome photos!

We just returned from our first ever trip to RMNP in late June. We only managed to explore a small portion of the park, all concentrated around the Bear Lake area. Never saw any moose or really anything larger than a chipmunk.

One of these days, we'll return and see more of the park.
#FJB
Hewey Calloway
AG
RMNP is one of my favorites. Proposed to my wife in this meadow on the East Inlet trail.
tsuag10
AG
TAM85 said:

Thanks,
We had never been to the west side of the park and certainly enjoyed it. I agree that there is plenty to see and do on the east side if you only have a day or 2. If you have an extra half-day, take the drive to Grand Lake. The town is quieter and more laid back than Estes, and you'll have a better chance of seeing a moose on the west side.

The Old Fall River Road (one-way dirt road, as others have said) is a must-do in my opinion if you've never been. But only if you have a competent driver who isn't too nervous/anxious. Great views and an all around great experience. Take your time.
tsuag10
AG
Also, if you haven't done so yet, make sure to get your timed entry permit for the park. Unless you get there before 9:00am or after 2:00pm, you have to have one to enter the park. At this point, you will have to wait until 7:00pm (Mountain Time) the evening before to get them for the next day.
SunrayAg
AG
I love RMNP.

But last time I was there I felt like I was at the Chicken on a Friday night. Every trail fighting to find a parking spot, and every step bumping elbows with other hikers.
danielm99
AG
We started every hike at 5 or 6 am. It sucked waking up early but had no crowd at all until the way back down and were done before lunch each day. It was awesome seeing the sunrise each day over the mountains and the reflections on the lakes. On the way back down the views had changed a lot. We all hated waking up early, but all agreed it was worth it. Plus it's much cooler early before the sun is over your head.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
tsuag10 said:

Also, if you haven't done so yet, make sure to get your timed entry permit for the park. Unless you get there before 9:00am or after 2:00pm, you have to have one to enter the park. At this point, you will have to wait until 7:00pm (Mountain Time) the evening before to get them for the next day.
This.

But, my experience with the Recreation.gov app was less than optimal. I had already purchased the park entry pass a couple of months before our trip, but didn't know about the hiker's shuttle that you can take from Estes Park into RMNP. The night before our planned entry to the park, I kept getting errors on the app. It would let me pick out our shuttle ride time, enter my info, then crash. Every single time. My wife was able to get it to work, but it wasn't smooth sailing for her either. She just had more patience than I did.
#FJB
Todd 02
AG
For those that have been on Old Fall River Road, is there any reason to think I can't do it in a crew cab, long bed, 4x4 truck?

I'm an experienced mountain driver. Just wasn't sure how narrow it might be or how tight the switchbacks might be.
cp2011
AG
You should be fine. We've been up in a 2WD Explorer, so traction won't be an issue. When we went up last year, we saw several 15-passenger- & sprinter vans, so the switchbacks should be wide enough. Enjoy the views!

ETA from the nps site: "Vehicles longer than 25 feet in length and vehicles with trailers are prohibited." https://www.nps.gov/thingstodo/romo_oldfallriverroad.htm#:~:text=Be%20Prepared,and%20is%20winding%20and%20narrow.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.